Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Reds August 2023 thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Reds August 2023 thread (/Thread-Reds-August-2023-thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - bengalfan74 - 08-05-2023

(08-04-2023, 10:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was having fun ignoring the run differential this year. 

Getting crushed by a -21 difference in the middle two Cubs games makes it look even worse, but even if you take out those two thumpings they would still be -4. Doesn't mean you can't have a winning record with a negative one, but generally playoff teams have one.

Ignoring 2020 (where more than half the league made the playoffs and the tiny season did a lot of statistical oddities) the last time a team made the playoffs with a negative run differential was 2007. The Brewers and Reds are both negative, and the Stupid Cubs are +71 and looking to be 1.5 back from the division lead if the Brewers/Pirates score holds.

Not scoring a single run for 7 straight innings changes the game, too. You lose a lot more games than you win when you only score 3 runs.

Yup

We were ZERO - 10 with RISP not gonna win many games with that stat.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - CJD - 08-05-2023

Here's the good news:
In the next 8 games (2 vs Washington, 3 vs Miami and 3 vs Pittsburgh), we're only going to face 2 lefties.

That means only 2 opportunities for Bell to put this goofy ass Fairchild/Senzel/Newman lineup out there that we have suffered through for the last 3 games (in which those 3 players have gone 7 for 34 with 2BB and 7K)

Also, EDLC is looking really good at the plate. He did not swing at a single pitch in the dirt today.

In his first at bat, he did strike out, but 2 were in the strikezone and the other was outside, but was up towards the middle of the strikezone. Threre were two balls down and in that he took.

In his second at bat, there were two balls down and in that he took, one up that he took and then he swung at a strike near the strikezone and then his the home run.

In his third at bat, he laid off a ball down and away, fouled off a strike and then flew out on a strike.

In his fourth at bat, he laid off a slider down and in, and then grounded out on a strke in the strikezone.

And then in his fifth at bat, he was intentionally walked because the Nationals knew Senzel would not win the game (and he didn't).

I know my posts occasionally border on obsessive when it comes to Elly, but I truly believe if he learned to lay off off speed pitches in the dirt, he'd be the best player on the team by a long shot and I think this game (as well as the last few games) is showing progress towards that goal.

Of course, now that I say this, he's probably going to strikeout 4 times tomorrow, swinging at every single pitch regardless of where it is in the zone haha.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 08-05-2023

David Bell needs a lineup coach.

Since almost every decision he makes is based off of charts, trends and percentages, all he really contributes is pumping up the crowd when getting thrown out while ''defending his team''. Since shortly after they hired him, I've basically considered him as a shitty mascot that occasionally makes an on field appearance and, for some stupid, ****ed up reason, has also been given decision making responsibilities.

(08-05-2023, 07:48 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: David Bell needs a lineup coach.

Since almost every decision he makes is based off of charts, trends and percentages, all he really contributes is pumping up the crowd when getting thrown out while ''defending his team''. Since shortly after they hired him, I've basically considered him as a shitty mascot that occasionally makes an on field appearance and, for some stupid, ****ed up reason, has also been given decision making responsibilities.

One can only hope he's learned his lesson with the Senzel, Newman, Fairchild lineup. And ok, I'll say it again Votto doesn't need to be a part of the regular lineup. Yes he hit the HR's a couple games back. But he's only batting like .200

Steer needs to be an everyday player as does Friedl. I don't get Bell lineups

Reds August 2023 thread - The D.O.Z. - 08-05-2023

They didn’t report it, but when Bell signed his three year extension, they also extended his analytics team (probably a junior junior Bell with a 6th generation iPad)

THREE MORE YEARS OF THE CHIN!

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - samhain - 08-05-2023

(08-05-2023, 01:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Here's the good news:
In the next 8 games (2 vs Washington, 3 vs Miami and 3 vs Pittsburgh), we're only going to face 2 lefties.

That means only 2 opportunities for Bell to put this goofy ass Fairchild/Senzel/Newman lineup out there that we have suffered through for the last 3 games (in which those 3 players have gone 7 for 34 with 2BB and 7K)

Also, EDLC is looking really good at the plate. He did not swing at a single pitch in the dirt today.

In his first at bat, he did strike out, but 2 were in the strikezone and the other was outside, but was up towards the middle of the strikezone. Threre were two balls down and in that he took.

In his second at bat, there were two balls down and in that he took, one up that he took and then he swung at a strike near the strikezone and then his the home run.

In his third at bat, he laid off a ball down and away, fouled off a strike and then flew out on a strike.

In his fourth at bat, he laid off a slider down and in, and then grounded out on a strke in the strikezone.

And then in his fifth at bat, he was intentionally walked because the Nationals knew Senzel would not win the game (and he didn't).

I know my posts occasionally border on obsessive when it comes to Elly, but I truly believe if he learned to lay off off speed pitches in the dirt, he'd be the best player on the team by a long shot and I think this game (as well as the last few games) is showing progress towards that goal.

Of course, now that I say this, he's probably going to strikeout 4 times tomorrow, swinging at every single pitch regardless of where it is in the zone haha.

It seems like CES is making good adjustments as well.  He's not mashing homers, but he is getting on base a lot.  I have to think that eventually the power that everyone talks about him having will follow suit in time.

Also, unrelated: I'm starting to miss having India in the lineup. He may not be the face of the team any longer, but he's still a hell of a lot better than Newman, Senzel, or Fairchild. It's getting tougher to ignore the fact that his absence coincides with the beginning of the decline.

It really boggles the mind to think that Reds fans (myself included) were worried about having enough spots in the everyday lineup to cram CES, Elly, and McLain in at the MLB level. I mean, shit, they apparently have enough room for all 3 of Fairchild, Senzel and Newman, so I'm not sure it was ever a problem.

Also think it's criminal for a healthy Benson to be on the bench. When he's not a the bottom of the lineup, the opposing pitcher gets the dead spots that the Reds don't normally give teams between the guys that can rake.

(08-05-2023, 12:13 PM)samhain Wrote: It seems like CES is making good adjustments as well.  He's not mashing homers, but he is getting on base a lot.  I have to think that eventually the power that everyone talks about him having will follow suit in time.

Also, unrelated: I'm starting to miss having India in the lineup.  He may not be the face of the team any longer, but he's still a hell of a lot better than Newman, Senzel, or Fairchild.  It's getting tougher to ignore the fact that his absence coincides with the beginning of the decline.  

It really boggles the mind to think that Reds fans (myself included) were worried about having enough spots in the everyday lineup to cram CES, Elly, and McLain in at the MLB level.  I mean, shit, they apparently have enough room for all 3 of Fairchild, Senzel and Newman, so I'm not sure it was ever a problem.  

Also think it's criminal for a healthy Benson to be on the bench.  When he's not a the bottom of the lineup, the opposing pitcher gets the dead spots that the Reds don't normally give teams between the guys that can rake.

Agree

I'm a big Benson fan. The only knock on him is he hasn't done well vs. LHPing. However, he doesn't have many at bats vs. lefties, to be fair. But I wouldn't care what hand the pitcher was to a degree. In other words he needs to be in there more than Senzel, Fairchild, Newman.

(08-05-2023, 12:13 PM)samhain Wrote: It seems like CES is making good adjustments as well.  He's not mashing homers, but he is getting on base a lot.  I have to think that eventually the power that everyone talks about him having will follow suit in time.

Also, unrelated: I'm starting to miss having India in the lineup.  He may not be the face of the team any longer, but he's still a hell of a lot better than Newman, Senzel, or Fairchild.  It's getting tougher to ignore the fact that his absence coincides with the beginning of the decline.  

It really boggles the mind to think that Reds fans (myself included) were worried about having enough spots in the everyday lineup to cram CES, Elly, and McLain in at the MLB level.  I mean, shit, they apparently have enough room for all 3 of Fairchild, Senzel and Newman, so I'm not sure it was ever a problem.  

Also think it's criminal for a healthy Benson to be on the bench.  When he's not a the bottom of the lineup, the opposing pitcher gets the dead spots that the Reds don't normally give teams between the guys that can rake.

Newman, Senzel and Fairchild weren't playing because we didn't have the bats to fill the lineup. They were playing because David Bell is a dedicated follower and worshipper of the "Splits Doctrine." If the starter is left handed, Bell will sit Fraley, Benson and sometimes even Friedl. 

I don't mind giving Senzel Fraley's ABs because Fraley is really bad against lefties, but Friedl is just as good against lefties as he is against righties. And Benson has only had 24 career ABs against lefties and, personally, I think he should be given a chance to show he is more than just a platoon player. He has been on fire for 2+ months straight (.769 OPS in 6 games in May, 1.073 OPS in June, .997 OPS in July). 

Especially if dropping Benson means more ABs for Fairchild... 

Our future infield is still likely to be Marte at 3B, EDLC at SS, McLain at 2B and CES at 1B. That leaves DH wide open for India in 2024, or maybe he could transition to LF or something like that. Right now, Votto is taking up a lot of those DH ABs and they're also still fiddling with Stephenson at DH when he's not catching (and he's not really great at hitting or catching at the moment). Votto may not be here next year and almost certainly won't be here in 2025, so there will be room in our lineup for India. It's just a matter of time before Marte arrives and pressed India even harder for playing time this year and next year.

(08-05-2023, 01:01 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Newman, Senzel and Fairchild weren't playing because we didn't have the bats to fill the lineup. They were playing because David Bell is a dedicated follower and worshipper of the "Splits Doctrine." If the starter is left handed, Bell will sit Fraley, Benson and sometimes even Friedl. 

I don't mind giving Senzel Fraley's ABs because Fraley is really bad against lefties, but Friedl is just as good against lefties as he is against righties. And Benson has only had 24 career ABs against lefties and, personally, I think he should be given a chance to show he is more than just a platoon player. He has been on fire for 2+ months straight (.769 OPS in 6 games in May, 1.073 OPS in June, .997 OPS in July). 

Especially if dropping Benson means more ABs for Fairchild... 

Our future infield is still likely to be Marte at 3B, EDLC at SS, McLain at 2B and CES at 1B. That leaves DH wide open for India in 2024, or maybe he could transition to LF or something like that. Right now, Votto is taking up a lot of those DH ABs and they're also still fiddling with Stephenson at DH when he's not catching (and he's not really great at hitting or catching at the moment). Votto may not be here next year and almost certainly won't be here in 2025, so there will be room in our lineup for India. It's just a matter of time before Marte arrives and pressed India even harder for playing time this year and next year.

Newman, Senzel and Fairchild weren't playing because we didn't have the bats to fill the lineup. They were playing because David Bell is a moron and worshipper of the "Splits Doctrine." If the starter is left handed, Bell will sit Fraley, Benson and sometimes even Friedl. 

Fixed it for you  Hilarious

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - kevin - 08-05-2023

" HEY ABBOTT ".....

A good day for fans to go to Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati and see Abbott pitch. He is very good. I call him The Sundance Kid, because his face and the color of his moustache look like Robert Redford as The Sundance Kid on the mound. " Am I allowed to move. I shoot better when I move ".

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - SladeX - 08-05-2023

If only we had a catcher named Costello…

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - cinci4life - 08-05-2023

(08-05-2023, 01:02 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And yet they still had a runner on 3rd in the bottom of the 9th with 1 out and couldn't bring him in to walk it off.

There is no bottom of the 9th if the runner interference is rightly called.

Fraley was placed on the 10 day IL with stress fracture in the 4th left toe and Hopkins called up and pitcher Lyon Richardson added to the taxi squad.

Reds Place Jake Fraley On 10-Day Injured List - MLB Trade Rumors

Last night was 100% on the offense. Like I've said in the past, you can't score 3 runs in 9 innings and expect to win many games. We were a few bad plays away from easily winning that game but, when the cards were on the table, the offense disappeared (0 for 10 with RISP).

The days before last night were on the pitching.

When we were at our best, our offense picked up our pitching when they needed it and our pitching picked up our offense when they needed it.

The last 2 weeks or so (we've gone 4-7 since July 24th), it has been the exact opposite, with our pitching failing our hitting when they needed it and vice versa.

Hopefully, today's game with Abbott on the mound is the beginning of the turnaround that sees us grab the top of the divison and increase our lead rather than jumping in and our of first place by half a game each day.

We have the talent to go on a run and clearly separate ourselves from the Brewers (who are an average team in almost every regard) and the Cubs (who are just on a hot streak at the moment. Nothing more, nothing less.)

(08-05-2023, 03:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Last night was 100% on the offense. 

More like 50% offense and 50% home plate ump. Yes more runs would have been great but the missed runners interference for not running in the lane directly impacted the outcome since that was the would be 3rd out. No excuse to not call it when the runner is in fair territory the whole time running to first.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - TheLeonardLeap - 08-05-2023

Abbott hit a career high in innings pitched last start. From here on it is all just adding more.

Think we might be seeing him hit a bit of a rookie wall.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - Nicomo Cosca - 08-05-2023

Please make Nick Senzel go away.

(08-05-2023, 06:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Please make Nick Senzel go away.

That was a horrible throw hence the error on Maile. That said are we really on the verge of losing this series to the pathetic Nats?

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - Nicomo Cosca - 08-05-2023

(08-05-2023, 06:15 PM)cinci4life Wrote: That was a horrible throw hence the error on Maile. That said are we really on the verge of losing this series to the pathetic Nats?

Only saw it in the background at a restaurant but it looked like he could have caught it. Either way, he blows.

RE: Reds August 2023 thread - TheLeonardLeap - 08-05-2023

Can't tell if that is Joan Adon or Clayton Kershaw.

Signs of life!!!!