Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? (/Thread-Should-the-Bengals-be-shopping-for-backup-QB)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - KillerGoose - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 11:25 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He’s only started what, 1 NFL game? Cannot be classified as a bust. Not yet

Of course I know the Bengals won’t take on that salary. But if SFO absorbed a lot of it and we only had to toss some low picks, yeah. I do it.

And I’m amazed people want Brandon Allen back. He’s worse than what we have.

I think it is fair to call him a bust. He was the 3rd overall pick, going into his third year and has only attempted 102 career passes while just being beaten out of a job by Sam Darnold. He could turn things around, but the fact that Darnold beat him out is quite telling. There is also the business aspect of it with contract values, though. 

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - Garrus - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 11:54 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think it is fair to call him a bust. He was the 3rd overall pick, going into his third year and has only attempted 102 career passes while just being beaten out of a job by Sam Darnold. He could turn things around, but the fact that Darnold beat him out is quite telling. There is also the business aspect of it with contract values, though. 

Honestly, I still can't believe they drafted him there. He may have and physical tools, but he was super inexperienced even in college. This isn't baseball where you draft a guy and let him develop over a few years. The NFL you need results asap. At most you usually get 1 year on the bench to learn at most (these days at least). 

The fact they don't think he has improved much going into year 3 is telling. He needs game reps but isn't good enough to get them.

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - ochocincos - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 11:54 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think it is fair to call him a bust. He was the 3rd overall pick, going into his third year and has only attempted 102 career passes while just being beaten out of a job by Sam Darnold. He could turn things around, but the fact that Darnold beat him out is quite telling. There is also the business aspect of it with contract values, though. 

Agreed.
If you're a QB that was a Top 10 or especially Top 5 pick and you're not the clear-cut starter going into your 3rd year, there's not much opportunity left for you.

The injury last year probably killed any chance he had to become a true starter and could ultimately end up regulating him to a perpetual backup in the league or even out of the league in a few years time.

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - KillerGoose - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 12:31 PM)Garrus Wrote: Honestly, I still can't believe they drafted him there. He may have and physical tools, but he was super inexperienced even in college. This isn't baseball where you draft a guy and let him develop over a few years. The NFL you need results asap. At most you usually get 1 year on the bench to learn at most (these days at least). 

The fact they don't think he has improved much going into year 3 is telling. He needs game reps but isn't good enough to get them.

I think at the time he was drafted, Lance had 318 live-action pass attempts in high school and college combined. He threw less than 100 passes in high school. He is just wildly inexperienced in general. Pretty crazy. 

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - coachmcneil71 - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 12:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.
If you're a QB that was a Top 10 or especially Top 5 pick and you're not the clear-cut starter going into your 3rd year, there's not much opportunity left for you.

The injury last year probably killed any chance he had to become a true starter and could ultimately end up regulating him to a perpetual backup in the league or even out of the league in a few years time.

I'm not trying to argue here, so not calling you out specifically. Just using your post as an example.

People said the same thing about Geno Smith. Geno is smiling all the way to the bank. 

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - SunsetBengal - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 01:13 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm not trying to argue here, so not calling you out specifically. Just using your post as an example.

People said the same thing about Geno Smith. Geno is smiling all the way to the bank. 

Geno Smith is a good story about a guy who was able to turn his career around, but he and Lance are really an apples to oranges sort of comparison.  Smith was a three year starter at a FBS school with close to 1,500 pass attempts under his belt.  Whereas Lance had a whopping 318 total attempts in his single season collegiate career.  I'm not saying that there isn't a Pete Carroll or Andy Reid out there who can't rescue and salvage Lance's career, but the guy could really use a season or two in the CFL to get his experience level up a bit.

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - Nately120 - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 01:13 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm not trying to argue here, so not calling you out specifically. Just using your post as an example.

Lance should be on a team that can use a starter now or eventually.  Tampa Bay would be ideal, because they're likely to bench Mayfield after a few games and the idea of getting a guy like Lance in there would be more appealing than Kyle Trask.

It wouldn't floor me if QBs like Darnold or Lance had decent runs elsewhere and were rehabilitated.  I think getting Burrow has spoiled us in the sense that not every team can just go 2-14 the one year where a no-brainier franchise savior is there at #1 overall.  You usually have to find some creative ways to get essential talent at QB in the building and develop a guy, whether you got him later or you got him after another team gave up on him.

(08-24-2023, 01:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Geno Smith is a good story about a guy who was able to turn his career around, but he and Lance are really an apples to oranges sort of comparison.  Smith was a three year starter at a FBS school with close to 1,500 pass attempts under his belt.  Whereas Lance had a whopping 318 total attempts in his single season collegiate career.  I'm not saying that there isn't a Pete Carroll or Andy Reid out there who can't rescue and salvage Lance's career, but the guy could really use a season or two in the CFL to get his experience level up a bit.

I figured that someone would bring this up and it's pretty accurate. I'm not sure that the kid needs to be in the CFL just yet. He was evaluated as a high-end draft prospect by many outlets and teams.

I agree that he needs playing time. However, I do think a change of scenery could do him some good. He's only been in one system in his young career. Hence, my Geno comparison. Once Geno found the right fit and coaching, he excelled. 

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - PCB Bengal Fan - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 02:14 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I figured that someone would bring this up and it's pretty accurate. I'm not sure that the kid needs to be in the CFL just yet. He was evaluated as a high-end draft prospect by many outlets and teams.

I agree that he needs playing time. However, I do think a change of scenery could do him some good. He's only been in one system in his young career. Hence, my Geno comparison. Once Geno found the right fit and coaching, he excelled. 

Geno is like Rich Gannon, the light came on late in his career.

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - psychdoctor - 08-24-2023

I am underwhelmed with Jake Brown and Trevor. I know the season would be lost if Burrow goes down but if he has to come out for a few plays, I do not trust either of the backups.

(08-24-2023, 02:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am underwhelmed with Jake Brown and Trevor.  I know the season would be lost if Burrow goes down but if he has to come out for a few plays, I do not trust either of the backups.

Pretty much my take as well. Both have been underwhelming! To cut to the chase; would anyone prefer Lance over who we currently have? 

He has a much higher ceiling than the current two backups. I'm taking the talent all day, every day. At the right price, of course. 

(08-24-2023, 02:56 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Pretty much my take as well. Both have been underwhelming! To cut to the chase; would anyone prefer Lance over who we currently have? 

He has a much higher ceiling than the current two backups. I'm taking the talent all day, every day. At the right price, of course. 

We aren't going to trade for Lance and I don't see him going to a team where he's going to have zero chance to get on the field, because getting on the field is what he needs to do.  The Bucs and Vikings could offer a middling pick for him, and if he he is cut he should look into the Seahawks and the Rams.  I think the Bucs would be ideal, as they're going to likely be in evaluation mode after week 3.

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - psychdoctor - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 02:56 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Pretty much my take as well. Both have been underwhelming! To cut to the chase; would anyone prefer Lance over who we currently have? 

If brandon Allen gets cut from 49ers, I would grab him.

(08-24-2023, 03:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We aren't going to trade for Lance and I don't see him going to a team where he's going to have zero chance to get on the field, because getting on the field is what he needs to do.  The Bucs and Vikings could offer a middling pick for him, and if he he is cut he should look into the Seahawks and the Rams.  I think the Bucs would be ideal, as they're going to likely be in evaluation mode after week 3.

I don't disagree, but it's worthy of tossing about going into the third week of August. Learning behind a true number one QB like JB could probably benefit the kid.
(08-24-2023, 04:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If brandon Allen gets cut from 49ers, I would grab him.

I wouldn't be over the moon about it, but all things considered, not a bad idea.

(08-24-2023, 04:25 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I don't disagree, but it's worthy of tossing about going into the third week of August. Learning behind a true number one QB like JB could probably help the kid.

Ida know, Lance has played like 3 snaps of football in the past 7 years.  I'm exaggerating, but not by much.  If Lance wanted to go to a team where he's going to be stuck behind a surefire starter for the next decade I'd say "No thanks" because the guy clearly doesn't care about getting on the field.  His entire NFL career has been learning behind veteran QBs, I think he just needs to get out there and play.  Will he be great?  Probably not, but electing to sit behind a franchise guy is usually a step towards lifetime backup QB, isn't it?  

I think of Mitch Trubisky going to Buffalo taking that path recently.  We can talk about Lance, but I don't see this team trading for a QB who is an unknown with upside and a lot of empty space on his resume to keep the ship afloat while Burrow is out.

Also, why did we let Brandon Allen walk anyways?  He's not a top priority to hang on to, but if we weren't going to upgrade at QB, why is he off being a non-factor in a QB room elsewhere?

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - SunsetBengal - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 04:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If brandon Allen gets cut from 49ers, I would grab him.

(08-24-2023, 04:25 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I wouldn't be over the moon about it, but all things considered, not a bad idea.

Allen might be a good get-back, as he's been with the team and coached for a while.  And, if we were to face off with SF in the Super Bowl, he might be able to provide some insight, after having spent training camp with them.

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - phil413 - 08-24-2023

49ers got no reason to answer a lowball call after publically demoting him. They learned from injuries that he may get PT, so they'll keep him as a 3rd and deal him at the deadline if a reasonable deal comes or the offseason.

(08-24-2023, 04:38 PM)phil413 Wrote: 49ers got no reason to answer a lowball call after publically demoting him.  They learned from injuries that he may get PT, so they'll keep him as a 3rd and deal him at the deadline if a reasonable deal comes or the offseason.

The 49ers QB situation is nuts.  They have a #3 overall pick and a dude they traded three 1st rounders to get sitting behind a guy taken dead last in the draft.  As good as Purdy looked last year it would also be typical "thems the breaks" if he returns to earth and ends up being a good, but not franchise QB.  Should be an interesting season, regardless.

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - George Cantstandya - 08-24-2023

For every Geno Smith story there are a lot more not Geno Smith stories. 

RE: Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 08-24-2023

Lance should never have been drafted that high. And SF traded UP to get him, IIRC.

This puts him in a tricky situation. He is not good enough to start. He will be too expensive for almost any team to carry as a backup. And SF will likely want to recoup some assets in a trade. If he wasn't making $10 mil a year, maybe someone takes a flier. He cannot be a,backup on a contender because his level is so low.

But on this contract? I doubt it. Plus, who wants to help SF out to boot? A team would have to be super desperate, willing to tank for a year or two, and have tons of cap room. Nor any real QB/playoff prosoects.