Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! (/Thread-Zac-Taylor-play-calling-is-trash)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Truck_1_0_1_ - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 11:22 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: You're attitude does suck. When I see a Bengal RB tackled in the backfield for a 5 yd loss as soon as he gets the ball the D knew what play was coming. Nolan Ryan had more than a 100mph fastball.

Or, maybe, MAYBE, the OL completely whiffed his block and allowed the defender to get back there?

Nice try. Attitude still sucks.

(09-19-2023, 11:34 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Just read a stat that 46% of the Bengals drives end in 3 and out, of course worst rate in the NFL. That is absolutely MIND BLOWING. That strictly speaks to coaching. You cant have a top 5 QB two #1 receivers and a solid RB and have that rate. It's just absolutely absurd.

And last year, weren't they 2nd in the league in 3rd down efficiency with 63% or 65% or something.

Yet again, execution.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - PhilHos - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 11:43 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Or, maybe, MAYBE, the OL completely whiffed his block and allowed the defender to get back there?

And last year they weren't 2nd in the league in 3rd down efficiency with 63% or 65% or something.

Yet again, execution.

Hell, weren't we like 6 for 6 on 3rds and short on Sunday?  Remember how that used to be another issue with Zac's "playcalling"?

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Garrus - 09-19-2023

I just wish we had a power run game sometimes. When Joe is less than 100% it could help slow the game down for us and limit how often he has to throw. I know he dislikes being under center but going with a 6th OL and a FB would be refreshing, especially on those 3rd and shorts.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - PhilHos - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 12:17 PM)Garrus Wrote: I just wish we had a power run game sometimes. When Joe is less than 100% it could help slow the game down for us and limit how often he has to throw. I know he dislikes being under center but going with a 6th OL and a FB would be refreshing, especially on those 3rd and shorts.

The way Mixon was running on Sunday I would call some of those runs power running. The key is that we would need to actually CALL run plays. In the past few seasons, Mixon was, at best, inconsistent so you could see why we didn't call a lot of runs. But so far this season, he's playing like the RB some of us thought he could be and we still aren't calling a lot of run plays (or at least it feels like we're not calling a lot of them).

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Essex Johnson - 09-19-2023

The problem was we did not get the ball that much... Ravens controlled the clock, we had seven drills, scored on 3 of those and our one turnover was inside the 5 yard line.. Also reading that the playbook was probably scaled back for two games to help Joe not put too much on his calf..

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Garrus - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 12:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The way Mixon was running on Sunday I would call some of those runs power running. The key is that we would need to actually CALL run plays. In the past few seasons, Mixon was, at best, inconsistent so you could see why we didn't call a lot of runs. But so far this season, he's playing like the RB some of us thought he could be and we still aren't calling a lot of run plays (or at least it feels like we're not calling a lot of them).

I would agree with that, trying to stick to the run more in general. Especially if they knew Burrow was not 100%. 

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-19-2023

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/

Read it, or just stay uninformed....choice is yours.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Nepa - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 03:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/

Read it, or just stay uninformed....choice is yours.

That was very insightful. A lot of the complaints about the play calling can be answered by this article and just how the Bengals had to dial back the playbook because of the injury.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Destro - 09-19-2023

Dialed back and still aggravated his calf.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - KillerGoose - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 04:49 PM)Destro Wrote: Dialed back and still aggravated his calf.

Burrow injured it celebrating I think. The announcers mentioned he injured it celebrating and when you watch the All-22, he throws the TD and jogs off the field pumping his fist. He is running normally at this point. That is the last we see of him prior to his injury. 

(09-19-2023, 04:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Burrow injured it celebrating I think. The announcers mentioned he injured it celebrating and when you watch the All-22, he throws the TD and jogs off the field pumping his fist. He is running normally at this point. That is the last we see of him prior to his injury. 

I thought so too, but Burrow said it was an earlier play to Chase, I believe. Wouldn't have hurt it on the couch, though.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - KillerGoose - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 04:58 PM)Destro Wrote: I thought so too, but Burrow said it was an earlier play to Chase, I believe. Wouldn't have hurt it on the couch, though.

Hmmm...okay, then. I missed him saying that. He looked fine up until that last play but injuries can be weird sometimes. Maybe he did and it took a little time to actually affect him. I do agree, though. Ultimately, he should have been kept away to heal further. 

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - RegularGuy22 - 09-19-2023

(09-19-2023, 11:43 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Or, maybe, MAYBE, the OL completely whiffed his block and allowed the defender to get back there?

And last year, weren't they 2nd in the league in 3rd down efficiency with 63% or 65% or something.

Yet again, execution.

Dialing back the playbook and removing staples such as under-center looks and rollouts to move pockets and shift defenses is especially not ideal against AFC North foes like the Browns and Ravens.

And judging by those games, the Browns and Ravens 100 percent knew what was coming.

According to that article anyway.

(09-19-2023, 05:00 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Hmmm...okay, then. I missed him saying that. He looked fine up until that last play but injuries can be weird sometimes. Maybe he did and it took a little time to actually affect him. I do agree, though. Ultimately, he should have been kept away to heal further. 

Yeah, that is what he said, but the same as you, I didn't notice anything until after the TD. Guessing it was adrenaline or a lie. Either way, it was enough for him to limp around and talk about it. 

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - TheLeonardLeap - 09-24-2023

Seeing the Dolphins dropping 50 on a team with no better OL than us is painful.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Nicomo Cosca - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 04:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Seeing the Dolphins dropping 50 on a team with no better OL than us is painful.

I can’t even imagine what a Shanahan, McDaniel, McVay, etc could do with our offense.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - TheFan - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 04:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Seeing the Dolphins dropping 50 on a team with no better OL than us is painful.

Yea, people can only use the Oline as an excuse for so long. Our offensive play calling/design just doesn't make things easy. Player wise the Dolphins are on par with us but get so much more from it.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Fan_in_Kettering - 09-24-2023

In 2021 and 2022 the Bengals enjoyed success because of a balanced offense. In fact, in the bigger wins Cincinnati ran more than they passed. Now, I understand the 2023 iteration of the Bengals has been playing from behind most of the season thereby necessitating going to the air more.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Bengalstripes9 - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 04:48 PM)TheFan Wrote: Yea, people can only use the Oline as an excuse for so long. Our offensive play calling/design just doesn't make things easy. Player wise the Dolphins are on par with us but get so much more from it.

Agree. Miami’s play calling is amazing a lot of the time. Bengals is average I would say. The players make it good when they heat up and hit mid season form.

Doesn’t matter what defense you play, a perfect play call will beat it.it just comes down to calling the perfect play. You can’t rely on players to win 1v1 every play, especially when the defense knows what’s coming. The key is to keep them off balance so they don’t know what’s coming and call a play to beat the defense they are playing. It’s pretty simple but we’re pretty average at it. Otherwise we would have seen more blowout wins over the last 2 years.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - TecmoBengals - 09-24-2023

It must have been a fun day being a Dolphins fan and watching them rack up 70 points.