Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla (/Thread-RIP-Harambe-a-Cincy-zoo-gorilla)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - Nately120 - 06-02-2016

I didn't read all this, and I don't have any kids but I have to say that I'm pretty sure every one of us either managed to do something bad/dangerous/stupid when our parents weren't looking and/or our kids have done the same thing when we weren't looking.

My parents were both super protective and attentive to the point where I was convinced their sole purpose in life was to make sure I never had any fun, BUT I'd be lying if I told you my sister and I never ended up in the emergency room in our lives.

Maybe these parents were totally crap parents and this 4 year old was doomed sooner or later, but again, I've done stupid stuff in my life, I've turned my back for a single second and something I didn't want to happen, happened (nothing overly dangerous, but you know), and I'm sure we can all say the same thing. It's just way too easy in this situation to assume that stuff like that would NEVER EVER happen to us and then get on our high horses.

I think it just comes down to us really wanting to believe bad things only happen to people who deserve it and/or really go out of their ways to have it happen. We want to live in a world where that kid deserved to be in that situation because his mom was awful and let it happen. Maybe that's what happened...I wasn't there.

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - StLucieBengal - 06-02-2016

(06-01-2016, 10:52 PM)jason Wrote: My adult loved ones put themselves in that situation . That stranger's dog didn't. At any rate, I don't think that is a perfect analogy of what happened at the zoo. I actually don't disagree that the child's life didn't need saving. I can only guess how surreal that situation was to every person who saw it happen. Something had to be done, and drastic measures were taken. Hell the kid could have been hit by a bullet. That mother is to blame for it happening. Period. If anything is bring our society down, it's bad parenting. It sure as hell ain't people's love for animals. Not just any animal, but an animal that the Creator made very much like ourselves.

You posted  earlier that that it is a crime to confine an animal like that. It is in a way . It's complex though. The mountain gorilla is endangered... yada yada. The real crime is that kid falling umteen feet into a gorilla cage. Millions of other kids have not. It's happened before though. The gorilla cradled the injured child.

The mom sucks....

To be clear.  I do not have any issue with a zoo.  We go to the Miami zoo often.   When we travel domestically we try and go to the local zoo.   

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - Vas Deferens - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 01:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I didn't read all this, and I don't have any kids but I have to say that I'm pretty sure every one of us either managed to do something bad/dangerous/stupid when our parents weren't looking and/or our kids have done the same thing when we weren't looking.

My parents were both super protective and attentive to the point where I was convinced their sole purpose in life was to make sure I never had any fun, BUT I'd be lying if I told you my sister and I never ended up in the emergency room in our lives.

Maybe these parents were totally crap parents and this 4 year old was doomed sooner or later, but again, I've done stupid stuff in my life, I've turned my back for a single second and something I didn't want to happen, happened (nothing overly dangerous, but you know), and I'm sure we can all say the same thing.  It's just way too easy in this situation to assume that stuff like that would NEVER EVER happen to us and then get on our high horses.

I think it just comes down to us really wanting to believe bad things only happen to people who deserve it and/or really go out of their ways to have it happen.  We want to live in a world where that kid deserved to be in that situation because his mom was awful and let it happen.  Maybe that's what happened...I wasn't there.

Completely understand and well put.  I just equate this situation with parents leaving their kids in a car.  Both are dangerous situations. Both are gross negligence imo.  

I sure as hell don't think that kid deserved to be in that situation.  Never should have been in the first place if the mother would have realized she couldn't handle that many children or that combination of children at the same time.  It's a travesty. 

All these future helicopter parents are funny.

To each their own and if that's your way of parenting then fine. We all have to find our own way that we think works.

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - Vas Deferens - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 02:20 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: All these future helicopter parents are funny.  

To each their own and if that's your way of parenting then fine.   We all have to find our own way that we think works.

I would consider taking my child to a brothel as you suggested prudent previously 'helicopter' parenting. But I'm not a POS either, so maybe I need to read a pamphlet of sorts to catch up. 

(06-02-2016, 05:14 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I would consider taking my child to a brothel as you suggested prudent previously 'helicopter' parenting. But I'm not a POS either, so maybe I need to read a pamphlet of sorts to catch up. 

You say you are not a POS but didn't you say that you would let a person drown to save your dog?

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - jason - 06-02-2016

What's a helicopter parent?

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 11:35 AM)jason Wrote: What's a helicopter parent?

A parent who is constantly hovering over their child.

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - jason - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 12:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A parent who is constantly hovering over their child.

Oh. I guess I'm more of a sniper parent. I got my eye on them. Even when they don't see me.

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - Hoofhearted - 06-02-2016

Stay classy, Pittsburgh.

[Image: vince.0.png]

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - Millhouse - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 01:00 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Stay classy, Pittsburgh.

[Image: vince.0.png]

Sad thing is that some people would still say Vincenzo Williams life is more important than a gorilla (jk jk (kinda)). Anyways Harambe was born and raised in a Texas zoo for about 15 years before coming up to Cincy's zoo for breeding purposes.

(06-02-2016, 12:06 PM)jason Wrote: Oh. I guess I'm more of a sniper parent. I got my eye on them. Even when they don't see me.

Actually there is a fairly big debate with helicopter and free range parenting.    There are loads of in between but there has been a move this generation to hover your kids and them knowing you are hovering.   

For example:  There was a family in Baltimore who got their kids removed by social services because they let their kids play at the park without the parents being at the park.   

Personally we don't hover out kids but they know we check up on them, so probably similar to sniper parenting lol   Although not sure we would call it the that haha 

Would you let your kids drink out of the garden hose?  It's amazing how many parents insist on bottled water only.     

(06-02-2016, 01:45 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Sad thing is that some people would still say Vincenzo Williams life is more important than a gorilla. Anyways Harambe was born and raised in a Texas zoo for about 15 years before coming up to Cincy's zoo for breeding purposes.

That steeler waste of space is still a human.   So yes that human waste of space > gorilla 

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - WeezyBengal - 06-02-2016

A lot of you are blaming the parents, and im just not sure that I quite get that.

How many of you are parents and how many of you have had your kid get lost or run away from you when you are out in public? You turn around for 2 seconds, turn back around, and they are running off or are gone. They are kids and it happens.

The path into the gorilla pen wasn't hard to get into. A quick climb over a 4 foot fence and about 10 feet of brush and you are in.

Its unfortunate what happened, but im not really sure its anyone's fault.

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - Griever - 06-02-2016

from what i saw of the video, everything was cool till the crowd starting getting loud

and the gorilla dragged the kid, but he didnt look hurt

i just think they could have gone about it differently instead of shooting and killing him

(06-02-2016, 02:27 PM)Griever Wrote: from what i saw of the video, everything was cool till the crowd starting getting loud

and the gorilla dragged the kid, but he didnt look hurt

i just think they could have gone about it differently instead of shooting and killing him

With animals you never know what they are thinking.   Silver Back gorillas actually are known for killing their "step children".   So who knows what might have happened....  It's a sad story all the way around 

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - rfaulk34 - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 12:54 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So it's nobody's fault.  Maybe the gorilla?  

No one is jump g to conclusions.  The kid got into the enclosure. It didn't happen in a 'second' as has been prized here, it happened across a multitude of seconds, probably a minute plus.  There are reports saying the kid was talking about going down there.  There are no reports of the gorilla grabbing the child and pulling him down into his enclosure. 

Apparently asking parents to be responsible for their toddlers is 'morally misguided'.  My 'outrage' (a gross mischaracterization itself) is based on facts known at this time. Admitted by the mother.  Conveyed by onlookers.  My commentary is on those who defend this sort of parental ineptness in an attempt to soothe their own rearing inadequacy . 

If the gorilla is found to be at fault I will make a $1000 contribution to the charity of your choice. 

I'm already aware of everything you posted here. I've read it and watched videos as well. I'm not taking the family or the zoo's side. I tend to try and wait for a more complete set of facts to emerge before i cast aspersions. Something that a multitude of people started doing the minute the story came out. As i've already said on more than one occasion, the mother may be completely at fault and negligent and could very well deserve to have charges brought against her. 

My OP in this thread was for those 'internet experts on all things' that pop up everywhere. The ones that charge, try and convict based on a whole lot of conjecture. The impression i'm getting is that you are trying to put yourself in that group.

stop #GorillaGenocide

RE: RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla - rfaulk34 - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 02:42 PM)Griever Wrote: stop #GorillaGenocide

I got my eye on you...

(06-02-2016, 02:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I got my eye on you...

you know just what i like...