Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cincinnati-mourns-gorilla-killed-to-save-boy/ar-BBtCmJS?li=BBnb7Kz
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/05/28/police-child-taken-hospital-after-falling-into-gorilla-pen/85095094/ - video of gorilla with boy before being killed

Such a sad sad story that happened yesterday at the Cincy a zoo. Apparently a 4 year old boy somehow managed to fall into the moat that seperates the gorillas and visitors, and Harambe got a hold of him and dragged him through the water, but in a nice gorilla way. After ten minutes of the boy not being harmed, they decided to use lethal force because they couldnt take the chance of the boy being killed. And they didnt use a tranq because for one it takes a few minutes to work and two the initial stinging of the tranq dart couldve made the situation worse.

I dont blame the zoo for this, they had to take the best odds to save the kid. The parents of the 4 year old though, I hope they feel immense amount of guilt of being crappy parents as Harambe's blood will forever be on them. I was just there earlier this month, and have a great picture of the big silverback looking at me. But no way should this have happened if the parents were paying attention to their kid. At 4 years old, the parent should either be holding him up or holding hands in the zoo. Let alone letting him get into a position to fall into the moat. Anyways I feel for the zookeepers there who had to go through all this.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 03:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cincinnati-mourns-gorilla-killed-to-save-boy/ar-BBtCmJS?li=BBnb7Kz
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/05/28/police-child-taken-hospital-after-falling-into-gorilla-pen/85095094/  - video of gorilla with boy before being killed

Such a sad sad story that happened yesterday at the Cincy a zoo. Apparently a 4 year old boy somehow managed to fall into the moat that seperates the gorillas and visitors, and Harambe got a hold of him and dragged him through the water, but in a nice gorilla way. After ten minutes of the boy not being harmed, they decided to use lethal force because they couldnt take the chance of the boy being killed. And they didnt use a tranq because for one it takes a few minutes to work and two the initial stinging of the tranq dart couldve made the situation worse.

I dont blame the zoo for this, they had to take the best odds to save the kid. The parents of the 4 year old though, I hope they feel immense amount of guilt of being crappy parents as Harambe's blood will forever be on them.  I was just there earlier this month, and have a great picture of the big silverback looking at me. But no way should this have happened if the parents were paying attention to their kid. At 4 years old, the parent should either be holding him up or holding hands in the zoo. Let alone letting him get into a position to fall into the moat. Anyways I feel for the zookeepers there who had to go through all this.

Endangered species, too.

This is all over Facebook in Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati with people blaming the zoo and other people blaming the mom.

I feel like you're in a public place with your child, so they're your responsibility.  They said the kid would have had to do work to even get into the exhibit.  

What I don't get is why not shoot the gorilla with tranq dart, but have multiple people aiming guns at the gorilla's head in case he got violent or anything?  The child was down there for a few minutes, so, if the gorilla was going to do anything, he could have done it.

I just feel like there were multiple other ways it could have been handled, and I assume they had a emergency plan ready for just that type of thing.

I blame the mom 150%.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 04:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Endangered species, too.

This is all over Facebook in Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati with people blaming the zoo and other people blaming the mom.

I feel like you're in a public place with your child, so they're your responsibility.  They said the kid would have had to do work to even get into the exhibit.  

What I don't get is why not shoot the gorilla with tranq dart, but have multiple people aiming guns at the gorilla's head in case he got violent or anything?  The child was down there for a few minutes, so, if the gorilla was going to do anything, he could have done it.

I just feel like there were multiple other ways it could have been handled, and I assume they had a emergency plan ready for just that type of thing.

I blame the mom 150%.

The method they took was a far safer method for the kid when it comes down to it. Chances are he probably wouldnt have hurt the kid on purpose, but they didnt want to take any chance at all because all it would have taken was a mere second or two and the boy could have been killed. Also just imagine if they would have tranq'd him and the boy was killed in the process. Harambe would have been put down at that point. And the lawsuits that would have followed would have been far more costly than losing just a gorilla, as cold as that sounds.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 04:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Endangered species, too.

I blame the mom 150%.

1. The tranq dart would take time to work. 2. Fairly certain the gorilla would move his head once stung by dart. 3. Just because it hadnot been violent with the child doesn't mean it would stay calm, animals are unpredictable ( as are people nowadays- ever heard of " going postal ? " I agree the parents should have kept better care of the 4 year old.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 05:13 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: 1. The tranq dart would take time to work. 2. Fairly certain the gorilla would move his head once stung by dart. 3. Just because it hadnot been violent with the child doesn't mean it would stay calm, animals are unpredictable ( as are people nowadays- ever heard of " going postal ? "      I agree the parents should have kept better care of the 4 year old.

Have multiple guns aimed at every direction he could move his head.

Ten minutes without being violent, so I doubt he would just all the sudden decide that he didn't like the way the kid looked at him and snap his neck.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 05:13 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: 1. The tranq dart would take time to work. 2. Fairly certain the gorilla would move his head once stung by dart. 3. Just because it hadnot been violent with the child doesn't mean it would stay calm, animals are unpredictable ( as are people nowadays- ever heard of " going postal ? "      I agree the parents should have kept better care of the 4 year old.

Furthermore, watch the video:  the gorilla was standing over him and protecting him like it was one of his children.
Reply/Quote
Tough situation. Only one without fault was the Gorilla, and he was shot. Hopefully they create a memorial or a plaque.

I have to blame the zoo some, not just only the parents. That barrier has to be 100 percent secured from any kind of compromise in either direction.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 05:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Have multiple guns aimed at every direction he could move his head.

Ten minutes without being violent, so I doubt he would just all the sudden decide that he didn't like the way the kid looked at him and snap his neck.

Who knows? He could have associated the sting from the dart with the kid and reacted. The Zoo made the best choice. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
After watching the video, the first thing that jumps to my mind is that the Zoo did a poor job of handling the situation. Their first order of business should have been to remove all of those screaming people from proximity to the exhibit. It was obvious from the footage that the Gorilla was taking a protective stance with the kid, even standing him up, as to show that he was alright.

I get the point about the tranq dart potentially enraging the Gorilla, but where are the people trained to handle Gorillas? The Gorilla was acting rather calmly. I just feel that it was pointless to shoot first, without even attempting any other possibilities.

Oh, and that Mother should be held liable for whatever the monetary cost of a Silverback Gorilla is, as well as be under investigation by CPS for improper supervision. Just my .02.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 06:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After watching the video, the first thing that jumps to my mind is that the Zoo did a poor job of handling the situation. Their first order of business should have been to remove all of those screaming people from proximity to the exhibit. It was obvious from the footage that the Gorilla was taking a protective stance with the kid, even standing him up, as to show that he was alright.

I get the point about the tranq dart potentially enraging the Gorilla, but where are the people trained to handle Gorillas? The Gorilla was acting rather calmly. I just feel that it was pointless to shoot first, without even attempting any other possibilities.

Oh, and that Mother should be held liable for whatever the monetary cost of a Silverback Gorilla is, as well as be under investigation by CPS for improper supervision. Just my .02.

Completely agree.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 06:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After watching the video, the first thing that jumps to my mind is that the Zoo did a poor job of handling the situation.  Their first order of business should have been to remove all of those screaming people from proximity to the exhibit.  It was obvious from the footage that the Gorilla was taking a protective stance with the kid, even standing him up, as to show that he was alright.

I get the point about the tranq dart potentially enraging the Gorilla, but where are the people trained to handle Gorillas?  The Gorilla was acting rather calmly.  I just feel that it was pointless to shoot first, without even attempting any other possibilities.

Oh, and that Mother should be held liable for whatever the monetary cost of a Silverback Gorilla is, as well as be under investigation by CPS for improper supervision.  Just my .02.

Once the zoo was notified of the situation, visitors were removed from the viewing area. Situation only lasted about 10 minutes or so, so I think they acted as quick as they could given the circumstance. I think one thing that should change is having a zoo employee where the visitor viewing area is at all times. 

I dont know though, it's hard for anyone that has never worked with those animals to really know what to do. I would say the gorilla's life is more important over a darwin-challenged kid, but I would get flamed for that.  Mellow

Reply/Quote
RIP Harambe.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Give that boys parents an award.

And some surgery to sterilize them.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote

[Image: 13327520_10206461255391647_2822743818208...e=57CACEC6]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 10:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ..

[Image: 13327520_10206461255391647_2822743818208...e=57CACEC6]

Saw that on Facebook and was going to post it but I fell asleep!  

It's hilarious and so right!  I've said that it was protecting him like one of his own children, so why would he pose a threat?

If he hadn't done anything for ten minutes, who's to say that he would have?  They handled it so shitty.  

They could have used a pole or something to pick the kid up when the gorilla had been a few feet off, or had employees go down there with guns, tried to peacefully have the kid run away, and unload on him with bullets if he wouldn't let him walk away.

Probably other things that I can't think of right now that they screwed up on.
Reply/Quote
Maybe they were worried the gorilla was gonna decide to give the kid the luggage test:

Reply/Quote
From what I understand the video was edited to not show Harambe dragging the boy to the point where the video ended. It's a sad situation for us but from Harambe's point of view maybe not so much.  

I know I wouldn't want to be pointed at all day and shit.

[Image: 68588205.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 05:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Have multiple guns aimed at every direction he could move his head.

How many armed sharpshooters would that take and were they at this zoo ? Impossible at the time of event.

Have you never heard  of animals attacking their owners after years of loving coexistence ?

In the real world you and I are not animal behavior experts, however most reasonable rational folk know that animals are unpredictable. Many times cat or dog owners have been clawed or nipped by pets.
Reply/Quote
I think society might be treating the parent(s) a little too harshly. It is not like they were laying on the couch while their soon was playing in traffic or left the kid in the car. At a minimum they were involved enough in his life to take him to the zoo. 4 year olds are slippery, who hasn't turned their back for a minute and then quickly turned back around with the fear of "where did they go?".

These parent(s) has had to deal with the initial fear off seeing their child dragged around like a rag doll by a gorilla and now have to live through the guilt and ridicule.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 12:48 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Saw that on Facebook and was going to post it but I fell asleep!  

It's hilarious and so right!  I've said that it was protecting him like one of his own children, so why would he pose a threat?

If he hadn't done anything for ten minutes, who's to say that he would have?  They handled it so shitty.  

They could have used a pole or something to pick the kid up when the gorilla had been a few feet off, or had employees go down there with guns, tried to peacefully have the kid run away, and unload on him with bullets if he wouldn't let him walk away.

Probably other things that I can't think of right now that they screwed up on.

Most people saw the edited video. I watched the full video on the news. Most videos you saw Harambe and the kid in the corner, then in the middle, and then far off. What you don't see is how they got there each time. See if you can find the full video before claiming it was handled terribly. He drug the child violently by his foot and then pants when going from one place to the next while running. Was he meaning to hurt the kid? I don't know, probably not. But watch the full video before saying jibberish. It's a miracle the kid survived.
Reply/Quote