Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Harambe - a Cincy zoo gorilla

[quote

Harambe died today, one day after his 17th birthday. Son of Moja, he was born and raised at the Gladys Porter Zoo here in South Texas-- a magnificent western lowland gorilla. Everyone loved him here. Last year, the big guy was sent to Cincinnati Zoo to meet some girls. This afternoon, Harambe was shot dead when a small child crossed a railing, got through a fence, past thick Pyrecantha bushes and a 12" thick concrete wall-- and fell into the gorilla moat. Where were the parents of the child? Looking at their cell phones? I see kids running wild all the time at the Gladys Porter Zoo, at every zoo I visit. Chasing peacocks, yelling at the animals, feeding animals, throwing stuff into exhibits, often totally unsupervised and undisciplined. Adults do the same crap. Ignorant and self-entitled to do what they please, here in this very special place that many endangered species call home, they couldn't care less about the consequences of their behavior. Now Harambe is dead. Great work people! Animals lose again.
][/quote]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Here was Jack Hanna's response on "CBS This Morning" today to what the zoo did. He is more of an expert on this than all of us combined.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/jack-hanna-agrees-1000-percent-with-zoos-decision-to-kill-gorilla/
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I don't know the full story, but this just seems like an unfortunate incident born from circumstances beyond control. Sometimes shit happens and no one is really at fault. I don't blame the parents, the zoo, and certainly not the gorilla.

From what I've read the kids wasn't unattended, the zoo had adequate measures to keep people out, and the gorilla just did what gorilla's do.

I don't know why when something bad happens, we always look to place blame somewhere and find out who was negligent. Sometimes shit just happens.....
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 05:32 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I don't know why when something bad happens, we always look to place blame somewhere and find out who was negligent. Sometimes shit just happens.....

I could say something here about your father pulling out and finding a torn condom...but I won't.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 07:30 PM)Beaker Wrote: I could say something here about your father pulling out and finding a torn condom...but I won't.

I've got a stalker, isn't that cute. 
Junior, I thought that I told you not to address me again until you sprouted your first pube and you felt a real tit for the first time in your life. There's no way those happened in the past week. 
Reply/Quote
Lose-Lose. There was no way this was going to end up good for everyone. Just a crap sandwich.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 07:42 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I've got a stalker, isn't that cute. 
Junior, I thought that I told you not to address me again until you sprouted your first pube and you felt a real tit for the first time in your life. There's no way those happened in the past week. 

You don't have to cry. I didn't say it.
Reply/Quote
Every is now an animal behaviorist on the internet. A child was dragged by his leg violently through rocks and water. Whether or not the gorillas was trying to harm him, he could have killed the child. The correct decision was made. It was just an unfortunate decision.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The head of the zoo said a gorilla like this can smash a coconut in one hand. That's insane.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 08:27 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: How many armed sharpshooters would that take and were they at this zoo ? Impossible at the time of event.

Have you never heard  of animals attacking their owners after years of loving coexistence ?

In the real world you and I are not animal behavior experts, however most reasonable rational folk know that animals are unpredictable. Many times cat or dog owners have been clawed or nipped by pets.

You never heard of Zoo S.W.A.T.?

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2016, 03:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cincinnati-mourns-gorilla-killed-to-save-boy/ar-BBtCmJS?li=BBnb7Kz
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/05/28/police-child-taken-hospital-after-falling-into-gorilla-pen/85095094/  - video of gorilla with boy before being killed

Such a sad sad story that happened yesterday at the Cincy a zoo. Apparently a 4 year old boy somehow managed to fall into the moat that seperates the gorillas and visitors, and Harambe got a hold of him and dragged him through the water, but in a nice gorilla way. After ten minutes of the boy not being harmed, they decided to use lethal force because they couldnt take the chance of the boy being killed. And they didnt use a tranq because for one it takes a few minutes to work and two the initial stinging of the tranq dart couldve made the situation worse.

I dont blame the zoo for this, they had to take the best odds to save the kid. The parents of the 4 year old though, I hope they feel immense amount of guilt of being crappy parents as Harambe's blood will forever be on them.  I was just there earlier this month, and have a great picture of the big silverback looking at me. But no way should this have happened if the parents were paying attention to their kid. At 4 years old, the parent should either be holding him up or holding hands in the zoo. Let alone letting him get into a position to fall into the moat. Anyways I feel for the zookeepers there who had to go through all this.

Parents of the child should be sued for all damages suffered to the zoo....  If you cant watch your kid near dangerous animals the animals should not have to pay the price for human mistakes

These people should be in trouble 

Glad the kid was okay but not sure hes in capable hands anyways.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 11:31 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Most people saw the edited video. I watched the full video on the news. Most videos you saw Harambe and the kid in the corner, then in the middle, and then far off. What you don't see is how they got there each time. See if you can find the full video before claiming it was handled terribly. He drug the child violently by his foot and then pants when going from one place to the next while running. Was he meaning to hurt the kid? I don't know, probably not. But watch the full video before saying jibberish. It's a miracle the kid survived.

I think yhe has gorilla most likely meant no harm but the way a gorilla treats a baby vs how humans do then that would be enough to alarm and shoot the gorilla.   It was a tough call for the zoo and nice to see they put safety above all else. 
Reply/Quote
Here is the pic of what I think his him I took back in early May when I was there. I had to size it down a bit for here.

[Image: Ig78GM.jpg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Who says this kid's life is worth more than the gorilla's? With shitty upbringing like this he'll probably just end up being a cost to taxpayers anyway. If you leave a kid in a car you go to jail. Why these parents aren't locked up already is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2016, 10:14 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Every is now an animal behaviorist on the internet. A child was dragged by his leg violently through rocks and water. Whether or not the gorillas was trying to harm him, he could have killed the child. The correct decision was made. It was just an unfortunate decision.

Correct decision will be to remove the child from his parents care... Because they obviously aren't up to the job.

Its not like its easy to get into these animals areas.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 04:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Correct decision will be to remove the child from his parents care... Because they obviously aren't up to the job.

Its not like its easy to get into these animals areas.

Yup.  Still think there should be a test before you can even have a child.  If you can't graduate HS you sure as hell can't handle a child.

EDIT* Sure as hell can't handle a child without it being a blithe on society as a whole. In this case it was the gorilla.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 04:26 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Who says this kid's life is worth more than the gorilla's? With shitty upbringing like this he'll probably just end up being a cost to taxpayers anyway.   If you leave a kid in a car you go to jail.  Why these parents aren't locked up already is beyond me.

I do.   

Human > Animal 

Not sure where we became an amoral society and somehow value animal's life over a 4yr old.   

Here is a moral test for you.....   If your dog and a random human were drowning .....  Who do you save?  
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 05:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do.   

Human > Animal 

Not sure where we became an amoral society and somehow value animal's life over a 4yr old.   

Here is a moral test for you.....   If your dog and a random human were drowning .....  Who do you save?  

There is a greater liklihood that the gorilla makes a purposeful impact on society than this shitty kid with his shitty parents and shitty upbringing.  

1.  Depends on why the human is drowning.  There are plausible instances where I would save my dog because **** that guy.
2.  My schutzhund trained GSD has saved actually saved human life, 1 is more than most humans can claim.
3.  He's also old as **** and going blind, so in the vast majority of instances it would be the person.  Unless I was in FL, then it would be a toss up.

******* attempt at a 'moral test' being administered by morally confused individual, but par for the infantile course I guess.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 05:41 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: There is a greater liklihood that the gorilla makes a purposeful impact on society than this shitty kid with his shitty parents and shitty upbringing.  

1.  Depends on why the human is drowning.  There are plausible instances where I would save my dog because **** that guy.
2.  My schutzhund trained GSD has saved actually saved human life, 1 is more than most humans can claim.
3.  He's also old as **** and going blind, so in the vast majority of instances it would be the person.  Unless I was in FL, then it would be a toss up.

******* attempt at a 'moral test' being administered by morally confused individual, but par for the infantile course I guess.

Absolutely insane that you value animals over humans.   

This anthropomorphic worship of animals is just crazy.   This is exactly why we need religion in our lives.   
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 05:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Absolutely insane that you value animals over humans.   

This anthropomorphic worship of animals is just crazy.
  This is exactly why we need religion in our lives.   

I can't tell if you don't know how to put these words together correctly, or if you just don't know what you're trying to say.  This is exactly why we need to more emphasis on education.
Reply/Quote