Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** (/Thread-2023-NFL-Draft-Thread)

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Truck_1_0_1_ - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 02:47 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm thinking La Porta, the might even attempt to move up for him.

I honestly have no cue who they'd pick LOL

If it were up to me, I'd get Whyle in the 3rd (unless there's a no-brainer pick right there for the taking) and maybe a fringe UDFA guy in the 7th, just to ensure they get their guy.

But many wouldn't agree with that Wink

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - OSUfan - 04-28-2023

Why are people focused only on the sack production of Myles Murphy? A DE has far more roles than creating sacks and Murphy is a player that has the traits to excel in all of them.

* The athleticism, strength, and speed to become an outstanding NFL pass rusher.
* The athleticism and strength to stop the run.
* The ability to set the edge for the defense.
* Displays excellent awareness of offensive schemes and does not over pursue allowing rushing lanes.
* Displays the ability to diagnose the offense as the play is unfolding.

This kid is not a one trick pony and fans should be ecstatic to add a player of this caliber to the defensive line. I have seen some comment that we needed pass rush from the interior of the D line so I would have to ask which player the would have selected to fill this perceived need with the 28th selection.

Fans that have legit complaint could be those of Detroit who took Gibbs with the 12th selection. I was a fan of the Gibbs selection but that was at 28 not at 12. How about the Jets taking McDonald at 15? Tampa taking Kancey at 19 is a bit high if you ask me as well. The Bengals did a great job staying true to their board and taking the BPA regardless of position.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Stewy - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 10:03 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Why are people focused only on the sack production of Myles Murphy? A DE has far more roles than creating sacks and Murphy is a player that has the traits to excel in all of them.

* The athleticism, strength, and speed to become an outstanding NFL pass rusher.
* The athleticism and strength to stop the run.
* The ability to set the edge for the defense.
* Displays excellent awareness of offensive schemes and does not over pursue allowing rushing lanes.
* Displays the ability to diagnose the offense as the play is unfolding.

This kid is not a one trick pony and fans should be ecstatic to add a player of this caliber to the defensive line. I have seen some comment that we needed pass rush from the interior of the D line so I would have to ask which player the would have selected to fill this perceived need with the 28th selection.

Fans that have legit complaint could be those of Detroit who took Gibbs with the 12th selection. I was a fan of the Gibbs selection but that was at 28 not at 12. How about the Jets taking McDonald at 15? Tampa taking Kancey at 19 is a bit high if you ask me as well. The Bengals did a great job staying true to their board and taking the BPA regardless of position.

You're using far too much logic and real information here.  The "Crying about not drafting a TE Crowd" aren't listening to logic.

I loved Zac in response to not drafting a TE - It was almost baffled - Paraphrase "The want and need for a TE didn't come from us."

I've been saying no TE till day 3, and I stand by that.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Sled21 - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 10:15 AM)Stewy Wrote: You're using far too much logic and real information here.  The "Crying about not drafting a TE Crowd" aren't listening to logic.

I loved Zac in response to not drafting a TE - It was almost baffled - Paraphrase "The want and need for a TE didn't come from us."

They probably need to re-sign Wilcox then. If Irv gets hurt again, we're down to Sample and Asiasi, and whatever rookie is left at 56 or 84

(04-28-2023, 10:15 AM)Stewy Wrote: You're using far too much logic and real information here.  The "Crying about not drafting a TE Crowd" aren't listening to logic.

No doubt Stewy! 

I love the TE panic when you consider the following. TEs still on the board:

ALL of them other than Kincaid who was overdrafted.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Stewy - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 10:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They probably need to re-sign Wilcox then. If Irv gets hurt again, we're down to Sample and Asiasi, and whatever rookie is left at 56 or 84

Sure, but you're assuming some of the TE the fans liked in 2nd and 3rd won't be there in the 4th.  TE's are already crashing and it's a deep class.  

Wouldn't surprise me if we draft a TE that surprises everyone who slipped into the 4th, and signed Wilcox.  Let the 4 TEs fight it out for the roster spots.

TE has never been a focus in this offense.  I don't get the almost desperate feeling (not you Sled) of need and importance placed on it by our fans, when the coaches and FO apparently don't feel the same.

(04-28-2023, 10:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They probably need to re-sign Wilcox then. If Irv gets hurt again, we're down to Sample and Asiasi, and whatever rookie is left at 56 or 84

You people are cracking me up! One TE has come off of the board in this draft which was Kincaid and there is the argument that he was over drafted. Every other TE is still on the board...everyone of them! How many TEs do you see being realistically selected before the Bengals select?

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - bengals1969 - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 10:27 AM)OSUfan Wrote: You people are cracking me up! One TE has come off of the board in this draft which was Kincaid and there is the argument that he was over drafted. Every other TE is still on the board...everyone of them! How many TEs do you see being realistically selected before the Bengals select?

Let’s not forget CTB was picked at 60 last year. That was a pretty wise selection. So good value is out there. RB or CB will have really good players when the Bengals pick and those are needy positions.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Au165 - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 10:27 AM)OSUfan Wrote: You people are cracking me up! One TE has come off of the board in this draft which was Kincaid and there is the argument that he was over drafted. Every other TE is still on the board...everyone of them! How many TEs do you see being realistically selected before the Bengals select?

Day 2 is where the value on TE is. I have potentially 6 going tonight (rds 2&3) and I think the Bengals will get one of those.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Burma - 04-28-2023

I am feeling pretty good about the draft so far. Murphy was a solid get, that also addresses a premium expiring contract in 2025. Aditionally, with a bit of luck and trading of Williams, the Bengals could be leaving tonight with a draft looking like.
1. Murphy
2. Jones OT
2/3. Mayer/ Musgrave/Washington TE (whomever you prefer)
3. Keeau Benton DT

There is a lot to like about that.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Synric - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 10:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: Day 2 is where the value on TE is. I have potentially 6 going tonight (rds 2&3) and I think the Bengals will get one of those.

Who is your 6th Strange, Schoonmaker, or Kuntz?

I like Brenton Strange myself at 92 if the Bengals don't go TE at 60.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - phil413 - 04-28-2023

I'm thinking possibly corner and there are quite a few physical types that bare minimum could help vs TEs or even have upside to start in a year if Awuzie walks. Thinking one of them could come up as near BPA and they press their luck on FE and RB within rounds 3-5 with the ability to take true BPA with the other pick.

It would be helpful if they could deal back a few slots and get a 4th or 5th if there are a lot of similar prospects of course.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 04-28-2023

Some of the comments on Murphy. Oh my. Is it just the draft when the IQ of this board goes to pot. Great value? Check Great athleticism? Check Great position to get a top rated player? Check Great character? Check. Comes from winning culture? Check.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Tomcat - 04-28-2023

Give me Brents in the 2nd and a TE in the 3rd, hopefully LaPorta. Spears or Roschon Johnson in the 4th and i'd be very happy with this draft!

Random note, I got connected to our Scout's reports/grades via someone I know. Not their board but how the team viewed players heading into their meetings. Interestingly Matthew Bergeron is rated higher than Dawand Jones (6th rated tackle), but below Freeland, they had team captain highlighted on the report which they value. That probably explains a bit about why we were being tied to him yesterday. There was probably an expectation of a bit more of a run on tackles.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Sled21 - 04-28-2023

I think the top 5 will be gone before we get our 2nd round pick in. As I said, it will be Smith, Sample (who everyone seemingly hates), Asiasi and whatever rookie. Smith is injury prone. I think re-signing Wilcox would be a smart move simply due to experience. That said, I was not pounding the table for TE, I really thought we would go DT until Mayer was there, and I thought they would snag him. It wasn't the player we drafted that threw me, it was the position. That said, they know what they need more than I do. I'm on board with the pick. That said, they need to get BJ some relief, he's playing too many snaps. Hopefully Carter comes on this year.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Synric - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: Random note, I got connected to our Scout's reports/grades via someone I know. Not their board but how the team viewed players heading into their meetings. Interestingly Matthew Bergeron is rated higher than Dawand Jones (6th rated tackle), but below Freeland, they had team captain highlighted on the report which they value. That probably explains a bit about why we were being tied to him yesterday. There was probably an expectation of a bit more of a run on tackles.

Really I would have though Freeland is to much zone tackle for them unless they are gonna run more zone in 2023. I can see Bergeron over Jones though scheme and position versatility.

(04-28-2023, 11:00 AM)Synric Wrote: Really I would have though Freeland is to much zone tackle for them unless they are gonna run more zone in 2023. I can see Bergeron over Jones though scheme and position versatility.

These are their composite grades not how the boards stacked so once they got into meetings they may have adjusted for that.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Burma - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 11:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: These are their composite grades not how the boards stacked so once they got into meetings they may have adjusted for that.

No overseas mission for Freeland delaying his career 2 years?

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - WeezyBengal - 04-28-2023

I've seen Trey Hendrickson throw up on the sidelines during games because he's so worn out by the end of the 4th quarter.

Anything to help that from not happening anymore I'm down with.

We got zero edge rush from anyone outside of Trey last year. It filled a need with a first round graded player. Good pick.