Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Rubekahn29 - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 09:14 AM)jj22 Wrote: Now they believe Sewell would have struggled under the great "Pollack". The same people who believed we didn't need an oline upgrade because he was the upgrade.... "Interesting".

Chase is a beast, but the facts remain, Burrow has gotten slaughtered 3 out of the 5 games, and has been injured twice that we know of, and hospitalized, and his hospitalization didn't come from the big hit he caused himself.

2 games. The first two. We have given up 4 sacks in the last 3 games. He didn’t get slaughtered last game. Also, look whose leading the league in sacks this year. Hint- it’s the first two teams we played.

And you seriously going to hold an injury YOU said happened on a sneak against the O-line?

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Nicomo Cosca - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 09:14 AM)jj22 Wrote: Now they believe Sewell would have struggled under the great "Pollack". The same people who believed we didn't need an oline upgrade because he was the upgrade.... "Interesting".

Chase is a beast, but the facts remain, Burrow has gotten slaughtered 3 out of the 5 games, and has been injured twice that we know of, and hospitalized, and his hospitalization didn't come from the big hit he caused himself.

Literally no one ever suggested that. I guarantee there was not a single person that was against using our 2nd round draft pick on the OL. Or against signing a better center.

Also, why is Pollack in qoutes? LOL

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - jj22 - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 09:49 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: 2 games. The first two. We have given up 4 sacks in the last 3 games. He didn’t get slaughtered last game. Also, look whose leading the league in sacks this year. Hint- it’s the first two teams we played.

And you seriously going to hold an injury YOU said happened on a sneak against the O-line?

Check the hits, pressures, sacks from last week and then come back to me.

(10-12-2021, 09:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Literally no one ever suggested that. I guarantee there was not a single person that was against using our 2nd round draft pick on the OL. Or against signing a better center.

Also, why is Pollack in qoutes? LOL

No one suggested Pollack was a key upgrade addition to our Oline this offseason? You've already had a poster bring back up a quote of yours, do you really need me to too?

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - PhilHos - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 09:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, why is Pollack in qoutes? LOL

Probably thinks his name is spelled Pollecks. Mellow

(10-12-2021, 10:17 AM)jj22 Wrote: No one suggested Pollack was a key upgrade addition to our Oline this offseason? You've already had a poster bring back up a quote of yours, do you really need me to too?

Of course he was a upgrade, but you’re claiming people suggested he’s all we needed to do. Which did not happen. And I can save you the trouble of digging up any of my old posts, I stated in the OP of my Pollack thread that I started that “he is not a miracle worker.”

But don’t worry, I’ll make sure to dig this gem of a thread up just for fun from time to time if that’s how you want to do it. Wink

Actually, never mind, it’s pinned! LOL

Hey, at least they changed that embarrassing thread title for you…

(10-12-2021, 10:16 AM)jj22 Wrote: Check the hits, pressures, sacks from last week and then come back to me.

(10-12-2021, 10:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Of course he was a upgrade, but you’re claiming people suggested he’s all we needed to do. Which did not happen. And I can save you the trouble of digging up any of my old posts, I stated in the OP of my Pollack thread that I started that “he is not a miracle worker.”

But don’t worry, I’ll make sure to dig this gem of a thread up just for fun from time to time if that’s how you want to do it. Wink

I had no problem with the title, and didn't request it to be changed at all. It was a question on if we'd regret the pick. An easy answer. I never said we would regret the pick. That was you guys thinking this thread started the national narrative, and trying to attack me for starting a thread with links and quotes on comments on Chases drop issues from media sourced including the home page. I think it's funny you don't realize the reason this thread stayed open was because this wasn't some troll thread but a legit question given the reports at the time.

Yall trying to "dig this thread up" constantly after 5 games, 2 injuries and a hospitalization of Burrow is the true self own.

(10-12-2021, 10:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: .....

Obviously the OL is still a work in progress, and needs to continue to improve, but the fact is they have improved. Our weakest link right now is Hopkins, who used to be one the best we had.

But just throwing out the numbers without any context is something I’d expect from the national media, or fans of other teams. Not someone who watches every snap. The narrative that this OL is getting Joe killed is just flat out false. They’re playing like a middle of the pack unit right now.

Hell, if we’re just going to throw out numbers; Mayfield has been sacked only one less time than Burrow, and the Browns have arguably the best OL in the league. Joe and Baker have the exact same # of attempts btw.

You can have 5 All Pros out there, it’s not going to make Perine a better blocker, or make Burrow give up on plays and throw the ball away when he should. Context. I don’t know why we can’t want them to continue to improve, while still acknowledging they have been playing better.

Anyway, isn’t this thread about Ja’Marr Chase?

(10-12-2021, 11:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our weakest link right now is Hopkins, who used to be one the best we had.

I don't think people truly understand how improved our OL is. Yes, it's still below-average to average. Yes, we still need to address it. But, when Hopkins goes from being your best OLman and the last position we need to upgrade on the OL to being the worst player on the OL that shows some real improvement. Sure, it could get better and it will between Carman getting more experience to Pollack's influence after more than 1 offseason but anyone who thinks our OL hasn't improved is just a moron.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - XenoMorph - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 11:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't think people truly understand how improved our OL is. Yes, it's still below-average to average. Yes, we still need to address it. But, when Hopkins goes from being your best OLman and the last position we need to upgrade on the OL to being the worst player on the OL that shows some real improvement. Sure, it could get better and it will between Carman getting more experience to Pollack's influence after more than 1 offseason but anyone who thinks our OL hasn't improved is just a moron.

questions isnt if it improved...

Its if its improved enough

(10-12-2021, 11:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: questions isnt if it improved...

Its if its improved enough

I don't think anyone is saying it improved enough, though. However, it's clearly improved.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Joelist - 10-12-2021

As several other threads here plus more and more outside observers say, the core issue is the scheme of the offense. It is WAY too predictable and does absolutely nothing to set the players up to succeed.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - XenoMorph - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 11:50 AM)Joelist Wrote: As several other threads here plus more and more outside observers say, the core issue is the scheme of the offense. It is WAY too predictable and does absolutely nothing to set the players up to succeed.

Which is coaching

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Whatever - 10-12-2021

I caught flak when Pollack was rehired for saying something to the effect of "Oh great, the guy who slammed his fist on the table for Cordy Glenn and Billy Price."

Now Turner wasn't good (the inability to pick up stunts and delayed blitzes was especially maddening), but he didn't have a lot to work with, either.  Pollack has cleaned up most of the assignment errors as the season has gone on, to be fair, but he was never going to turn a bunch of scrubs into the early '90's Cowboys OL. 

I said at the beginning of the off-season that we had too many holes to fill in one off-season.  My philosophy was that we needed to fix the OL in FA with proven veterans and get Chase and build a dominant offense.  Reason being, if the offense was racking up a ton of points, Lou would be an easy scapegoat firing and buy Zac another year. I didn't want to risk Burrow's health behind a bunch of rookies.  This was met with cries of "We need defense!" and "You build the OL through the draft!". They fixed the D in FA, but didn't do enough to address the OL.  Now we are where we are.  We're winning games and have a realistic shot at the playoffs, but Burrow isn't as well protected as we would like.  If we had taken Sewell instead of Chase, we'd be losing games and Burrow would be getting even more beat up.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - GreenCornBengal - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 10:47 AM)jj22 Wrote: Yall trying to "dig this thread up" constantly after 5 games, 2 injuries and a hospitalization of Burrow is the true self own.

In all fairness to the Oline, Burrow was on a mission to hospitalize himself against GB.

(10-12-2021, 12:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: I caught flak when Pollack was rehired for saying something to the effect of "Oh great, the guy who slammed his fist on the table for Cordy Glenn and Billy Price."

Now Turner wasn't good (the inability to pick up stunts and delayed blitzes was especially maddening), but he didn't have a lot to work with, either.  Pollack has cleaned up most of the assignment errors as the season has gone on, to be fair, but he was never going to turn a bunch of scrubs into the early '90's Cowboys OL. 

I said at the beginning of the off-season that we had too many holes to fill in one off-season.  My philosophy was that we needed to fix the OL in FA with proven veterans and get Chase and build a dominant offense.  Reason being, if the offense was racking up a ton of points, Lou would be an easy scapegoat firing and buy Zac another year. I didn't want to risk Burrow's health behind a bunch of rookies.  This was met with cries of "We need defense!" and "You build the OL through the draft!". They fixed the D in FA, but didn't do enough to address the OL.  Now we are where we are.  We're winning games and have a realistic shot at the playoffs, but Burrow isn't as well protected as we would like.  If we had taken Sewell instead of Chase, we'd be losing games and Burrow would be getting even more beat up.

Good post overall, but just to be clear, Pollack didn’t want Price. Ragnow was definitely the target. Price was a panic pick.

(10-12-2021, 12:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: In all fairness to the Oline, Burrow was on a mission to hospitalize himself against GB.

Jonah clearly should have carried Joe like a baby kangaroo to get that 1st down… Ninja

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - BigPapaKain - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jonah clearly should have carried Joe like a baby kangaroo to get that 1st down… Ninja

I'd love to see the massive crybabies twist that one.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Shake n Blake - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 10:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Of course he was a upgrade, but you’re claiming people suggested he’s all we needed to do. Which did not happen. And I can save you the trouble of digging up any of my old posts, I stated in the OP of my Pollack thread that I started that “he is not a miracle worker.”

Ok, maybe not "just" Pollack, but people were definitely suggesting Pollack, Reiff and Carman were enough. That suggests that Pollack is a fantastic coach, capable of getting more out of players.

Which is what JJ22 is driving at. We thought Pollack would upgrade the line, but we can't assume Pollack would've made Sewell better? Hypocrisy.

(10-12-2021, 11:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't think people truly understand how improved our OL is. Yes, it's still below-average to average. Yes, we still need to address it. But, when Hopkins goes from being your best OLman and the last position we need to upgrade on the OL to being the worst player on the OL that shows some real improvement. Sure, it could get better and it will between Carman getting more experience to Pollack's influence after more than 1 offseason but anyone who thinks our OL hasn't improved is just a moron.

Carman is the worst player on this line. If we bench him, XSF becomes the worst player on this line. Then it's Hopkins...who is worse than he was last year, due to injury most likely. I think the only reason Nicomo is highlighting Hopkins as the worst is to avoid mentioning Carman, because Team Chase pimped him all offseason.