Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** (/Thread-Official-2022-NFL-Draft-Thread)

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - CJD - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:18 AM)Tony Wrote: Winfrey is 100 times better than this guy... Horrible pick

How much tape did you watch in order to reach this conclusion?

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Synric - 04-30-2022

Carter is a tweener that needs developed as a DT physically and technically but there is alot of talent there.... thing is he is Sample from last years class.

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Bilbo Saggins - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:08 AM)matmaven Wrote: Loved the first 2 picks, do not like that pick at all.  6th rd grade.  "Doesn't have natural pass rush instincts ... Finds himself outflanked in the run game ... below average production and averaged less than 3 tackles per game as a college starter".

With all of the options available, seems like a major reach.

He did have 11.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks as a senior. 2 pass deflections per year. A couple fumble splash plays and a TD throughout his career. I'd be curious who he produced these splash plays against. If he did it against good competition, he seems like a perfectly sensible pick. If he was just plowing through scrubs I guess that'd give me pause. 

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Nicomo Cosca - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:17 AM)Joelist Wrote: Carter is not a reach. As already shown upthread he carried a third round grade and was the best IDL on the board according to multiple sources.

This is the worst part of the draft every year. Folks get locked on to certain players (in this case Winfrey) and when the team goes with someone else it’s a terrible pick or a reach. Despite many having the player they took ranked right around where he went.

People probably saw Dane Brugler had him in the 6th round. I’ve seen plenty of 3rd/4th round grades on him.

(04-30-2022, 12:18 AM)pulses Wrote: Lance Zierlein had him as a 4th round grade.....it was a REACH.

I mean...95 is basically an early 4th round pick...

(04-30-2022, 12:18 AM)Tony Wrote: Winfrey is 100 times better than this guy... Horrible pick

You watch much tape on these guys, Tony?

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - BigRed75 - 04-30-2022

Carter is not a reach at all. No way he would have been there in the 4th for the Bengals. I’ve seen this guy play every one of his games as a Gator. He was well on his way to be a 2nd rounder but tailed off a bit in 2021 like most of the Gator team with their coaching issues. Quality player…quality person and quite versatile since he can inside or outside. Love the pick!

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Au165 - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:24 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: How much tape did you watch in order to reach this conclusion?

None, he just knows that guys name and didn’t know this guys. Here is the thing, Carter is on a team and Winfrey isn’t and that’s all you have to know. Once you get at this point grades vary but the media hyped Winfrey and obviously the teams didn’t feel nearly the same about him.

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - RunKijanaRun - 04-30-2022

I’ve watched Carter play for years, for 2 horrible DCs.

He’s relentless, quicker than he looks and is very versatile. Bengals fans will love him.

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - cinci4life - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:22 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Did they draft a tight end just now?

Yep Ruckert.

(04-30-2022, 12:25 AM)Synric Wrote: Carter is a tweener that needs developed as a DT physically and technically but there is alot of talent there.... thing is he is Sample from last years class.

That's an interesting point. Considering they took him here, they must view him as a true DT, whereas Sample is a flex player along the entire line.

I look forward to seeing this player develop. 

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Gdale_Bengal - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:25 AM)Synric Wrote: Carter is a tweener that needs developed as a DT physically and technically but there is alot of talent there.... thing is he is Sample from last years class.

Yup. I feel like they have 3-4 guys who fit this type of player already. I’m not saying this was a bad pick, his stats look pretty good for a IDL player but I felt like if you are looking for a 3t you get a pure 3t not another tweeter. But you have to trust there board. They’ve had 2 dynamite drafts let’s hope this is yet another.

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - bfine32 - 04-30-2022

Zach carter is 20 lbs heavier than Sample and came from a power 5 program. I don't see the connection. 

Carter had better production from what I can tell at a quick glance. 7 more sacks, 6 more TFL. SEC compared to AAC, too.

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - matmaven - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:25 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: He did have 11.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks as a senior. 2 pass deflections per year. A couple fumble splash plays and a TD throughout his career. I'd be curious who he produced these splash plays against. If he did it against good competition, he seems like a perfectly sensible pick. If he was just plowing through scrubs I guess that'd give me pause. 

2021 season - first game of the season had 3 sacks against Florida Atlantic.  His other 5 sacks - 1.5 vs Missouri, 0.5 vs Samford, 0.5 vs LSU and 1 each against Tennessee and Kentucky.

Games against best competition (Alabama, Georgia) - 1 tackle, 4 assisted tackles. 0.5 tackles for a loss.

Assume they see him as an "ascending player".  Hope they are right.  Definitely seems like a tweener.

(04-30-2022, 12:26 AM)Au165 Wrote: None, he just knows that guys name and didn’t know this guys. Here is the thing, Carter is on a team and Winfrey isn’t and that’s all you have to know. Once you get at this point grades vary but the media hyped Winfrey and obviously the teams didn’t feel nearly the same about him.

That was my impression as well.

As someone who does not watch players and evaluate them, I go by the opinions of people that I trust and Goodberry seemed to like this pick. I had not heard of him during the draft coverage leading up to today, but looking at his production, I'm surprised I haven't heard of him.

That kind of makes me think the tape doesn't match the production (fluky sacks or inconsistent play?), but I'd never assume I know better than the Bengals scouts and coaches. So when people boldly proclaim that a player is a huge reach, I question why they feel that way. Was it something they saw on tape? Or did they just check PFF's board and react?

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Synric - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Zach carter is 20 lbs heavier than Sample and came from a power 5 program. I don't see the connection. 

Sample lost weight for the draft process. He was an outside guy with long arms and strong upper body short stepper that projected as a tweener inside rusher.

Carter is heavier and doesnt have quite the same fist step as Sample does but has long arms and strong.

Edit: I'm not saying I dont like the player I do. I liked all 3 of the Bengals players picked but I'm not happy with the draft class if that makes sense lol.

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - bengaloo - 04-30-2022

We are obviously not the only team to pass on Winfrey. He has slid into the 4th or beyond for a reason. Character concerns?

Anyway Carter looks really good. Put up some nice numbers and is coming into locker room that will help him grow. He has a good position coach and DL room to be in. I like the pick.

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - bfine32 - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:35 AM)Synric Wrote: Sample lost weight for the draft process. He was an outside guy with long arms and strong upper body short stepper that projected as a tweener inside rusher.

Carter is heavier and doesnt have quite the same fist step as Sample does but has long arms and strong.

So they're the same because they have long arms and are strong? 

RE: ***Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread*** - Whatever - 04-30-2022

(04-30-2022, 12:29 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's an interesting point. Considering they took him here, they must view him as a true DT, whereas Sample is a flex player along the entire line.

I look forward to seeing this player develop. 

Not necessarily.  Being realistic, all of our picks have been tweeners on defense.  Lou may be wanting guys with position versatility to disguise things.

I can see where having Sample and Carter who can play some 5 tech would allow them to run 3-4 looks out of his 5 man DL personnel.