Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Will we see players kneel? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Will we see players kneel? (/Thread-Will-we-see-players-kneel)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Bengalfan4life27c - 09-24-2017

That speech wasn't just about Kap. I don't like getting political. Would he refer to pat tillman's family if they were there kneeling that they were sons of bitches. Like I said I don't like getting political that sons of bitches comment by Trump was way out of line

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Shake n Blake - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 02:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Case and point why this is all awful. We've chosen to separate politics and football on this board, yet we are now forced to have them together if we want to watch the game. Can't just choose not to go to P&R if you don't want it.

Exactly what I was thinking brother. The lines have been blurred so much that's it's near impossible to just talk football.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - HarleyDog - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 02:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Case and point why this is all awful. We've chosen to separate politics and football on this board, yet we are now forced to have them together if we want to watch the game. Can't just choose not to go to P&R if you don't want it.

Yes we can!

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Johnny Cupcakes - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 02:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Johnny, you see things through a different lens than myself - so I don't expect you to understand - but to some, the Anthem was a once sacred tradition. One of few moments where people forgot their differences, set aside their own personal worries and appreciated the freedoms we're afforded. It was one of few things that unified us. 

To people like myself, we not only view intentionally disrespecting that moment as disgraceful, we also feel it's a divisive action. I'd feel better about their movement if they (1) came armed with stats/facts, (2) were willing to work with police rather than demonizing them, (3) weren't led by a guy that didn't vote, rocks piggy socks and Castro shirts while comparing NFL owners to slave masters and (4) didn't opt to protest in a disrespectful and divisive manner.

Notice that Lebron, Wade and Carmelo brought attention to their cause during the ESPY awards before Kaep was even a thing. There was no backlash for that, because they weren't being morons about it. I may think their cause is a little more complex than they're letting on, but I respected the way they did it. 

I can appreciate that you're passionate about it, and I understand why.  My father is a veteran.  One of my brothers is a veteran.  I graduated high school 3 months before 9/11, so most of my friends became military men and are now veterans.  So I get the sense of patriotism, tradition, and unity associated with the american flag and the Star Spangled Banner.  I'm around it just as much as most people, and appreciate it.  Also, this is not a way that I would protest personally.  I appreciate veterans....from my family, to my friends, to you.  

BUT....The reason attached to these protests is incredibly valid, and ALL Americans should be on board with that.  I would think that veterans would be more on board with it, seeing as how they were an active part of the fight to preserve, promote, and progress the rights of the people of the United States.

Some of your complaints about it, are also my complaints about it.  I wish that it were being done differently, but above all, it needs to be done.

(09-24-2017, 02:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Here's a tweet about the AFCN's protests

AFC North:

Steelers skipping the national anthem.

Ravens skipping London.

Bengals skipping the season.

Browns skipping the decade.

Savage.

RE: Will you be a Bengals fan if the players kneel? - HarleyDog - 09-24-2017

This issue is only as strong as we allow it to be. On these boards, I would say, or suggest we keep it status quo. It didnt matter a lot in Jungle Noise before the president spoke, and it shouldn't matter now since he spoke. That's a P&R thing (which is a dangerous place). We can still function without it in here, if we choose.

RE: Will you be a Bengals fan if the players kneel? - reuben.ahmed - 09-24-2017

When something should be in the politics forum and it exists in Jungle Noise, you know the Bengals suck that year.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - McC - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 03:03 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I can appreciate that you're passionate about it, and I understand why.  My father is a veteran.  One of my brothers is a veteran.  I graduated high school 3 months before 9/11, so most of my friends became military men and are now veterans.  So I get the sense of patriotism, tradition, and unity associated with the american flag and the Star Spangled Banner.  I'm around it just as much as most people, and appreciate it.  Also, this is not a way that I would protest personally.  I appreciate veterans....from my family, to my friends, to you.  

BUT....The reason attached to these protests is incredibly valid, and ALL Americans should be on board with that.  I would think that veterans would be more on board with it, seeing as how they were an active part of the fight to preserve, promote, and progress the rights of the people of the United States.

Some of your complaints about it, are also my complaints about it.  I wish that it were being done differently, but above all, it needs to be done.
But it's not being done.  The only thing anybody's talking about is the kneeling.  The issues are not even being addressed.  In terms of effects, it's just an empty circus.  And it all came from some goofy chick who thinks she's some kind of revolutionary.  Giant swing and a miss is what it really is.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - TheLeonardLeap - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 02:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly what I was thinking brother. The lines have been blurred so much that's it's near impossible to just talk football.

Can you imagine if this message board just combined Bengals Noise and P&R? Holy nightmare fuel, Batman!

We should be busy talking about how many times Marvin Lewis will be shown on TV clapping, not politics. Give it a bit longer at this rate and kids will turn on their cartoons and animals in the cartoon will be discussing social inequality in the food chain, and the weather channel will be giving you not the % of rain, but the % chance your workday will be interrupted by protests. You'll turn on like a music channel and half the time they'll play that handful of horrible Toby Keith songs from right after 9/11, and the other half of the time they'll play "F the police" by NWA on loop. Go to McDonald's "That's a cheeseburger and coke. Would you like some social revolution against The Man with that?"

Lol... hyperbole, but only just.

RE: Will you be a Bengals fan if the players kneel? - pally - 09-24-2017

When the fans stop talking, eating, drinking, walking around, yelling before the end of the anthem maybe I would worry more about the quiet kneeling of the players. Why is what the players are doing is disrespectful, when at least they have a stated purpose when what the fans are doing is not? Do any of you stand with your hand over your heart when you hear the anthem when you are in the concourse or even when you are watching on tv. Respect is not reserved for when you are in public or in the actual presence of the flag.
We do not play the anthem and require a public display of patriotism for any other entertainment or employment activity. I suspect the players in a symphony are just as patriotic and they come with their own instruments to play the song but we don't ask them to play the anthem or stand for a flag display. In reality, most players and fans tolerate the whole pre-game simply because it means the game is finally ready to start.
The whole pre-game is now more about how each team and owner can out "American" each other. Bigger and more extravagant flag displays, more soldiers and first responders, more heart wrenching military reunions. It is far more about the spectacle than actual patriotism.
If you kept watching when for the last year other players knelt, then it is rather hypocritical to say you won't watch now because your team or more players are involved now. Nothing has changed but the numbers.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - palafox - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 12:17 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: These players are kneeling for something that is a real problem.

No, it's not a real problem -- at least not what they are protesting. The protest originated from "police brutality." You know "hands up, don't shoot" was all a lie, right? If you saw the months of nonstop coverage of it on the TV, you would think it happened. And if you missed the three minutes cable news spent on the the report revealing it didn't happen, you also would think it was real.

Can you name one single law that pertains to black people that does not pertain to white people?

Some parents place a high value on a 10-year-old wearing expensive Air Jordans. Some parents place a high value on having their kids doing their homework and Staying out of trouble. It's about choices, and it is not PC to tell some segments of the population they seem to make too many bad choices.

RE: Will you be a Bengals fan if the players kneel? - samhain - 09-24-2017

I've honestly always enjoyed the anthem and opening proceedings of the game. The flyovers are cool when they have them.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Big Boss - 09-24-2017

Let 'em kneel. No skin off my nose.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - pally - 09-24-2017

since I started the thread I would like to point out that the question was if any Bengals player would protest and how the coaches and owners would react if they did. I did not ask about how each board member thought about the actual politics of the actions.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Bengalholic - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 03:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can you imagine if this message board just combined Bengals Noise and P&R? Holy nightmare fuel, Batman!

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Will you be a Bengals fan if the players kneel? - BonnieBengal - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 01:57 PM)Trademark Wrote: I'll probably stop supporting the team if they kneel and probably stop watching the NFL in general

I'm with you. Done with Bengals and NFL if they kneel.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - leonardfan40 - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 03:20 PM)pally Wrote: since I started the thread I would like to point out that the question was if any Bengals player would protest and how the coaches and owners would react if they did.  I did not ask about how each board member thought about the actual politics of the actions.

lol you're funny 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Shake n Blake - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 03:03 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I can appreciate that you're passionate about it, and I understand why.  My father is a veteran.  One of my brothers is a veteran.  I graduated high school 3 months before 9/11, so most of my friends became military men and are now veterans.  So I get the sense of patriotism, tradition, and unity associated with the american flag and the Star Spangled Banner.  I'm around it just as much as most people, and appreciate it.  Also, this is not a way that I would protest personally.  I appreciate veterans....from my family, to my friends, to you.  

Respectful answer and I appreciate that. Not everyone agrees that the issue is as big or widespread as some say, but I'm open to being shown otherwise.

Problem is, the protests aren't leading to any real talk. I see a bunch of rhetoric and empty divisive actions, but no one coming with facts from a neutral source. Or answers on how to fix the perceived problem. Not talking about you, but rather the folks who are central in all of this.

(09-24-2017, 03:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can you imagine if this message board just combined Bengals Noise and P&R? Holy nightmare fuel, Batman!

We should be busy talking about how many times Marvin Lewis will be shown on TV clapping, not politics. Give it a bit longer at this rate and kids will turn on their cartoons and animals in the cartoon will be discussing social inequality in the food chain, and the weather channel will be giving you not the % of rain, but the % chance your workday will be interrupted by protests. You'll turn on like a music channel and half the time they'll play that handful of horrible Toby Keith songs from right after 9/11, and the other half of the time they'll play "F the police" by NWA on loop. Go to McDonald's "That's a cheeseburger and coke. Would you like some social revolution against The Man with that?"

Lol... hyperbole, but only just.

Give it 20 years man. This is the new normal and soon the younger generations won't remember what it was like before all this political posturing.

RE: Will you be a Bengals fan if the players kneel? - pally - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 03:21 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm with you. Done with Bengals and NFL if they kneel.

why weren't you done a year ago when the protests started?

(09-24-2017, 03:09 PM)McC Wrote: But it's not being done.  The only thing anybody's talking about is the kneeling.  The issues are not even being addressed.  In terms of effects, it's just an empty circus.  And it all came from some goofy chick who thinks she's some kind of revolutionary.  Giant swing and a miss is what it really is.

It is being done.  You're talking about it right now.  Awareness of the issue at hand is a step in the right direction.