Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
For those against the Death Penalty - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: For those against the Death Penalty (/Thread-For-those-against-the-Death-Penalty)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - michaelsean - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 09:00 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Obviously it is hard to know for sure until you are in the situation, but I like to think I'd be okay with it. What good does it do for that person to be put to death?

I'm currently looking at the situation in Charlottesville with the death penalty. James Fields, the man who drove into the crowd of protestors killing one, injuring many others, and causing many more to experience PTSD from the event, has been charged with around 30 federal civil rights violations and is therefore eligible for the death penalty. I know a lot of the people that were in the path of that car. I visited people in the hospital in the aftermath, I know some of the medical personnel that treated them that day. I didn't know Heather Heyer, but I know many of those in her circle and have met with her mother. I hope they do not seek the death penalty for him. Putting James Fields in the ground will not heal all of those people. It won't resurrect Heather Heyer. I just don't see the point in ending another life.

Protect others in prison, and  personally I don't want the dude existing anymore.  

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Belsnickel - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 09:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Protect others in prison, and  personally I don't want the dude existing anymore.  

Executing Fields creates a martyr for the alt-right. It arguably does more for their cause than locking him up in prison.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - michaelsean - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 09:09 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Executing Fields creates a martyr for the alt-right. It arguably does more for their cause than locking him up in prison.

That seems like a guess, but I don't know that a lot of the alt-right are in favor of mowing down people with cars.  that is also a guess.

(07-05-2018, 09:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That seems like a guess, but I don't know that a lot of the alt-right are in favor of mowing down people with cars.  that is also a guess.

Have you seen the chats between members of the alt-right? They talked about doing that before the event occurred. They praised Fields in the aftermath.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - fredtoast - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 01:06 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: I have a question for all of you who are against the death penalty. If someone close to you, say your spouse child or parent were killed, all of it caught on camera, how would you feel knowing that you would be paying for that person to get 3 hots and a cot as well as 100% free medical care for life while your loved one lies cold in the ground? I know I sure as hell wouldn't be ok with that.

I can't speak for my self, but there are many cases of the victims family opposing the death penalty

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Benton - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 09:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That seems like a guess, but I don't know that a lot of the alt-right are in favor of mowing down people with cars.  that is also a guess.

(07-05-2018, 09:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Have you seen the chats between members of the alt-right? They talked about doing that before the event occurred. They praised Fields in the aftermath.

Yeah, I remember memes about what a truck would do to a snowflake and things along that line. It would usually be followed by something about how that was the only way to deal with violent leftists, which typically has been people peacefully protesting.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Beaker - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 01:06 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: I have a question for all of you who are against the death penalty. If someone close to you, say your spouse child or parent were killed, all of it caught on camera, how would you feel knowing that you would be paying for that person to get 3 hots and a cot as well as 100% free medical care for life while your loved one lies cold in the ground? I know I sure as hell wouldn't be ok with that.

The death penalty is about revenge, not justice.

You kill the person who killed your loved one. But guess what? It doesn't do anything for your loved one, nor do most people actually get much satisfaction from the death of the perpetrator since their death is usually by a clean, painless method such as lethal injection.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - hollodero - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 10:59 AM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, I remember memes about what a truck would do to a snowflake and things along that line. It would usually be followed by something about how that was the only way to deal with violent leftists, which typically has been people peacefully protesting.

Wasn't there someone on these boards who suggested hitting the gas pedal was the reasonable thing to do, given how all these violent people probably had surrounded the car and threatened the guy.
Also, at that time I used to shock myself at Breitbart. There was little to no condemnation of the deed, but much deep condemnation of leftists showing up in the first place. To many, it was their own fault, not the fault of the poor guy who just acted in self-defense, threatened from those protesting leftist enemies.

Death penalty for that guy would certainly rally up some people even more. While not really having a positive effect.

(07-05-2018, 11:13 AM)hollodero Wrote: Wasn't there someone on these boards who suggested hitting the gas pedal was the reasonable thing to do, given how all these violent people probably had surrounded the car and threatened the guy.
Also, at that time I used to shock myself at Breitbart. There was little to no condemnation of the deed, but much deep condemnation of leftists showing up in the first place. To many, it was their own fault, not the fault of the poor guy who just acted in self-defense, threatened from those protesting leftist enemies.

Death penalty for that guy would certainly rally up some people even more. While not really having a positive effect.

Yeah, the whole self-defense thing was a common talking point, and still is in some circles, even after I showed how he had to drive from a place with no protestors into the crowd of protestors to do what he did.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - bfine32 - 07-05-2018

(07-03-2018, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We all know innocent people get convicted.

I am in favor of giving them life in prison so that they have a chance to correct the mistake.

You are in favor of killing them.

If you support the death penalty then you support killing innocent people instead of giving them a chance to correct the mistake.

If you support illegal immigration and allowing them to remain in this country then you support the raping of 13 and 14 year old girls:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/14bc458f-0208-356c-bb40-79c1b4d0a04c/ss_police-launch-dragnet-for-3.html

Quote:The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency joined the nationwide search for three men accused of kidnapping and raping two teen girls in Ohio, authorities said. A fourth suspect has been arrested and charged in the alleged crime, police said Tuesday. Bowling Green police are searching for David Ramos Contreras, 27, Juan Garcia Rios Adiel and Arnulfo Ramos. Police said Contreras is from Mexico. It is uncelar where the others are from, though Adiel possess a fraudulent permanent resident I.D. out of Florida, police said. Adiel and Ramos are not believed to be U.S. citizens, according to WKRC-TV. The fourth suspect, Simon Juan Thomas, 24, of Guatemala, was arrested and charged with unlawful ...

Do you yet see how perverse your assertion is?

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Benton - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 11:13 AM)hollodero Wrote: Wasn't there someone on these boards who suggested hitting the gas pedal was the reasonable thing to do, given how all these violent people probably had surrounded the car and threatened the guy.

That's the danger in misinformation.

There are violent protestors out there. This instance, it did not appear to be the case. But with propaganda sites like Breitbart pushing the narrative that all left-leaning protestors are violent, it's not unreasonable to think some right-leaning people could feel threatened, regardless of the circumstances. 

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - bfine32 - 04-17-2019

Still no takers?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-threw-5-old-mall-america-balcony-looking-064900300--abc-news-topstories.html

Quote:A Minneapolis man was looking for a random adult to kill over the weekend before he threw a 5-year-old boy from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America, authorities said.

Emmanuel Aranda, 24, grabbed the child and tossed him down nearly 40 feet on Friday, leaving the boy with life-threatening injuries, including multiple broken bones and severe head trauma, according to charging documents.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Mike M (the other one) - 04-18-2019

I would not like it either.
I'm very of the mind that Prisons should not be Adult playgrounds.
They need to have very harsh conditions so that criminals will never want to come back.

As it is, for some it's better in Prison than in Real Life, that's backwards.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Mike M (the other one) - 04-18-2019

(04-17-2019, 06:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Still no takers?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-threw-5-old-mall-america-balcony-looking-064900300--abc-news-topstories.html

I don't get it, I'd be all in favor of this guy getting the death sentence.

What he did was horrible and get him off the streets and in the dirt where he can't do this again.

No one wants an innocent to be killed, so that whole argument is really just a strawman.

If the evidence is overwhelming (recorded etd) then bye-bye. Allowing them to live is giving them a chance to get back onto the streets again and commit another crime. No Thanks.

It's 1 in 25 that are actually found innocent or there is doubt? That's pretty good odds that the people there are deserving. OFC I'd prefer the see that % lowered even more. The system is much better and more thorough than it used to be 40+ years ago.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Belsnickel - 04-18-2019

(04-17-2019, 06:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Still no takers?

This doesn't change my position.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - TheLeonardLeap - 04-18-2019

(07-03-2018, 10:11 AM)hollodero Wrote: Can I also answer, while being an European for once? I'm against the death penalty under all circumstances, and the reason is that I don't want the government to kill people without necessity. The life and death power is something I'd rather leave to fate than to some officials.

It seems like a bit of a slippery slope.

(Just like Americans tell me restricting free speech by excluding Nazis from that is a slippery slope. It probably isn't in both cases, but still... I don't want government or anyone to have the power to kill in cold blood. Executing criminals is killing in cold blood, isn't it?)

That Rubicon was long since crossed. We used drone strikes our own citizens already in 2011 without a trial. Heck, back in 1932, MacArthur led US cavalry and tanks on US soil to attack US WW1 veterans.

I can easily get behind the death penalty on some people, simply because we can't keep them in isolation for the rest of their life, and I think that there's some people out there so evil that they shouldn't be allowed to mingle and rub off on others. They are also the ones who are unquestionably and unequivocally guilty and evil. (Do we really need to question Dylan Roof's innocence, for example?) The key point is they still need to go through the legal system rather than extra-judicial. The length of time the system takes and the still occasional mistake does make me hesitate on full support for it, though.

Maybe as a compromise for no death penalty is we need some specific jails for people who got life with no parole for truly terrible shit. Maybe where everything in the jail is just a bit more awful than jail conditions are normally legally allowed to be?

Or we just take a small Alaskan island, probably in the West Aleutians. Wall it off, have some Coast Guard patrol the waters to sink anyone trying to enter or escape, and just drop the worst of the worst with some hoes and seeds on it to be left to their own devices. Like Alcatraz meets Escape from New York. Would save a lot of money.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - JustWinBaby - 04-19-2019

Death penalty discussions break most people's brains.

It's inordinately expensive...Not a deterrent....and there have been far too many innocent victims put to death. There shouldn't be a debate here, yet somehow there is because of partisan brainwashing.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - bfine32 - 04-19-2019

(04-19-2019, 03:01 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Death penalty discussions break most people's brains.

It's inordinately expensive...Not a deterrent....and there have been far too many innocent victims put to death.   There shouldn't be a debate here, yet somehow there is because of partisan brainwashing.

bet they don't do it again.

Do we have just the right amount of innocent people who die in prison serving out life sentences?

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Benton - 04-19-2019

(04-19-2019, 03:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we have just the right amount of innocent people who die in prison serving out life sentences?

Innocent people get convicted to life sentences because of a flawed system, so the better solution is to kill them?

Shocked

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - bfine32 - 04-19-2019

(04-19-2019, 07:42 PM)Benton Wrote: Innocent people get convicted to life sentences because of a flawed system, so the better solution is to kill them?

Shocked

Smiley dude's head exploding aside: The better solution would be to improve the system. But I cannot grasp the concept of: "There's a chance we are wrong, so let's just support life in prison"

What are some people's argument against the death penalty? "It's too expensive because of all the appeals and re-looks of the evidence". Apparently they prefer a nice quite life in prison term with not as many appeals and re-looks because...