Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? (/Thread-Burrow-Offensive-Rookie-of-the-Year)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - rfaulk34 - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 12:21 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Some of you are nuts. I was skeptical of Burrow even after the season he had. Not sure if it was the one season or all the hype, but after watching him in the first couple games, this kid has it. At the time I was fine with a trade down if we could still get Herbert but even as well as he’s playing now I still wouldn’t trade Burrow for him. Who’s to say Herbert would be anything like he is behind this line. We are just fine with Burrow. The organization just needs to get their head out their ass and protect him better.

Herbert would not be playing nearly as well as he is with the Chargers, behind the Bengals line. 

You can't just forget what each QB did in college. Herbert will be good with support around him. Burrow will be elite with support around him. 

EDIT: Not you specifically, in general.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - TKUHL - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 12:24 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Herbert would not be playing nearly as well as he is with the Chargers, behind the Bengals line. 

You can't just forget what each QB did in college. Herbert will be good with support around him. Burrow will be elite with support around him. 

EDIT: Not you specifically, in general.

Yup!

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Bengalitis - 10-13-2020

Whoever has the most wins between Burrow, Herbert and Tua, will get the MVP. unless on has an overall stat overload leaving the other 2 in the dust.

Herbert hasn't made the boneheaded throw yet...

(10-13-2020, 12:33 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Herbert hasn't made the boneheaded throw yet...

No boneheaded throws but the last 2 were both behind the receivers. 

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Synric - 10-13-2020

I know they are ignoring it but Mike Williams leg bent the wrong way.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - GreenCornBengal - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 12:31 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Whoever has the most wins between Burrow, Herbert and Tua, will get the MVP. unless on has an overall stat overload leaving the other 2 in the dust.

Get that ugly sig outta here

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - KillerGoose - 10-13-2020

If Herbert keeps this up, he will win the OROTY over Burrow for sure.

Current projected stat lines

Herbert 4,481 yards (rookie record), 36 TDs (rookie record), 12 INTs, 68% completion percentage

Burrow 4,172 yards, 19 TDs, 10 INTs, 65% completion percentage

I want to emphasize that Burrow is playing really impressive football and simply doesn't have a ton of help around him. Between a plethora of offensive line issues and AJ Green completely disappearing, no run game due to the offensive line issues, Burrow, Boyd and Higgins are essentially the only threats on offense. Joe is going to be a really good quarterback if they can put an offensive line in front of him.

For the most part, Herbert has a decent offensive line and a multitude of offensive weapons. He is set, and it is showing. Both QBs are going to be very good.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Nicomo Cosca - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 12:02 AM)Trademark Wrote: Herbert looks a million times better than Burrow. Starting to think the Bengals took the wrong QB

Which pretty much guarantees we took the right one.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Bengalfan4life27c - 10-13-2020

Herbert deep ball accuracy is way better than Burrow it's not even close. Chargers line isn't great either. Herbert didn't even get many first team reps in training camp. I think Burrow is better, but Lynn while still a below average coach in my opinion is leaps and bounds better than Taylor. Taylor is bottom 10 coach of all time.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - TecmoBengals - 10-13-2020

I'm not ready to say the Bengals took the wrong QB, it would be foolery after a handful of games. Watching Herbert, however, is a gut-punch reminder that the overall Bengals franchise is a joke. Burrow is great, but will the ownership, coaching, and supporting cast allow him to excel?

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Bengalfan4life27c - 10-13-2020

I'm anxious to see how Burrow looks now with defenses daring Burrow to throw deep without any deep threats playing and being constantly blitzed. Ravens are a good D don't get me wrong. I just see every D doing what the Ravens did with no adjustment from Zac. Burrow may struggle rest of year

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - SHRacerX - 10-13-2020

(10-12-2020, 09:22 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Colts moved on from Mora after 1 year with Manning. Hope we do the same with Taylor.

I am starting to agree with this.  The time frame where he is on a rookie wage scale is so short that I don't know if you can allow Taylor another year to re-vamp the offense.  He thought he could do it with a new RG and a LT returning from injury and he sorely overstated his ability to win with the likes of Jordan and Hart.  Unless we see Adeniji come in and make a huge difference and the offence takes off (which I would bet a TON against) then I don't really want to give him another year.

That being said, it doesn't matter what I want and the Bengals won't pay him to not work.  Have no idea his contract details but that will determine his fate.  

I am just so pissed off and puzzled at the same time as to WTF they were thinking with the game plan against the Ravens.  It was the absolute LAST thing they should have done.  Not only did they do it, they stuck with it and got 3 points.  

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Murdock2420 - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 09:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm not ready to say the Bengals took the wrong QB, it would be foolery after a handful of games. Watching Herbert, however, is a gut-punch reminder that the overall Bengals franchise is a joke. Burrow is great, but will the ownership, coaching, and supporting cast allow him to  excel?

Been my concern since last year and history says they will probably not....

I just will never understand why this franchise let's good/great O-line men walk away (Whit, Zeitler, go back to Montoya as well, Willie Anderson) and why in the hell we will not hire a real GM and invest in a real scouting department. 

Yes, I know the answer is Mike Brown, but after 20 plus years of failure... why can't he see that a change is needed. 

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - TecmoBengals - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 12:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Been my concern since last year and history says they will probably not....

I just will never understand why this franchise let's good/great O-line men walk away (Whit, Zeitler, go back to Montoya as well, Willie Anderson) and why in the hell we will not hire a real GM and invest in a real scouting department. 

Yes, I know the answer is Mike Brown, but after 20 plus years of failure... why can't he see that a change is needed. 

That's the part I yearn to know. I've followed this team since the '80s. What caused Mike Brown to be Mike Brown? 

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Murdock2420 - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 12:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: That's the part I yearn to know. I've followed this team since the '80s. What caused Mike Brown to be Mike Brown? 

I do not know, but I have a guess.

Say your Dad was a football guru. Highly viewed as one of the best coaches, and was able to make some great changes to the game. He passes away and gifts you a football team. Now, you are a numbers nerd and a guy that counts money and that is what you are good at, but you want to show the world that you learned from your Dad. So, you continue to do things on your own, determined to prove you can, and after 20 years you are so far behind the rest of the league, it would be expensive to catch up in terms of staff plus your ego just won't give up because you really have convinced yourself that your way works but there was injuries or a fumble or just some bad luck that held you back. Palmer's injury, Hill's fumble, these seasons are probably viewed as "that was our year but..." and that small fluke allows him to believe his way will work if not for the small fluke... 

Just my thought.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - bfine32 - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 09:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm not ready to say the Bengals took the wrong QB, it would be foolery after a handful of games. Watching Herbert, however, is a gut-punch reminder that the overall Bengals franchise is a joke. Burrow is great, but will the ownership, coaching, and supporting cast allow him to  excel?

Most likely why Herbert is undefeated as a starter.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - fredtoast - 10-13-2020

Coaching has a lot to do with the success of a QB. Andy Dalton did not look that bad in 2018, but was total shit last year. I don't think he forgot how to play QB in just one offseason.

Burrow takes too many sacks because he holds onto the ball too long, but if the scheme is not getting receivers open he has no choice. Throwing the ball away avoids sacks, but you can't move the ball down the filed by throwing it away all the time either.

Even the poor pass protection seems to be more of a failure to pick up blitzes and stunts than simply getting over powered. When DBs are getting a lot of sacks and QB hits it is not because they are over powering the O-linemen. Lack of talent on the O-line is part of the problem, but it appears bad coaching is making it worse.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Essex Johnson - 10-13-2020

Both QBs look good as rookies.. it was obvious to take Burrow over Herbert with #1 when you look at last years play and stats. College and Nfl are different beasts and it will be interesting to see how each of their skill sets of Burrow and Herbert play out in the NFL. No doubt both are separating themselves for OROY and if both stay healthy should be a nice race to watch. Hopefully both will start to win some games to help their QB...

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - kalibengal - 10-13-2020

(10-13-2020, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Most likely why Herbert is undefeated as a starter.

Its  hard to put a grade on this yet....but everytime I watch Herbert I think wow, this dude has a great deep ball and can thread the needle. The Bengals coached him in SR Bowl I think? and were torn between him and Burrow. They need to give Burrow  a chance to throw in order for a true evaluation to be done but so far. ..Herbert more impressive. Burrows long balls have been way off mark. 
I almost see this as a comparison to a Big Ben type (Herbert) to a Arron Rodgers Type (Burrow)
Time will tell. ...but Herbert has a leg up, better managed team, coaches and a good D with legit playmakers like Bosa. Dont forget Derwin James is out.  so this team is on the rise.