Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year?
Not so fast.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/01/james-robinson-named-offensive-rookie-of-the-month/

I'm surprised it didn't go to CEH if not Burrow, but either way he's not getting OROY if he can't get OROM's.

Typically OROY always goes to a QB, but given he's a Bengal it's unlikely, and you see he's already getting snubbed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It will be Burrow and if by some act of God he wins 9 games and sneaks in to the playoffs, he should be named league MVP.
Reply/Quote
It’s week 3.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:22 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not so fast.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/01/james-robinson-named-offensive-rookie-of-the-month/

I'm surprised it didn't go to CEH if not Burrow, but either way he's not getting OROY if he can't get OROM's.

If he sets all the records he is currently on pace for he will win, no doubt about it. Similar to MVP they try to give it to a QB when they can, it takes a lack of a quality QB performance or just an insane performance by someone else. While James Robinson has had a really good first month as we saw with Kyler versus Jacobs last year the benefit of the doubt goes to the QB at the end. 

As a side note, as of 2 days ago Burrow was +135 for it while Robinson still sat a +950.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It will be Burrow and if by some act of God he wins 9 games and sneaks in to the playoffs, he should be named league MVP.

If he wins 5 games on this team he should get some MVP consideration. Lol

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s week 3.

It is week 3, but the Offensive rookie's of the months are hints to the final vote. If he can't get OROM then he's not getting OROY.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: It is week 3, but the Offensive rookie's of the months are hints to the final vote. If he can't get OROM then he's not getting OROY.

The season has more than one month last time I checked.

And he’s getting better every game.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The season has more than one month last time I checked.

He is. I'm just highlighting that past OROY were getting OROM honors, and it's something to keep an eye on as a hint to the final vote.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:22 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not so fast.

Typically OROY always goes to a QB, but given he's a Bengal it's unlikely, and you see he's already getting snubbed.

It's definitely surprising that they went with James Robinson, I thought he's been good. But I feel Joe has been great.

Joe Burrow is currently on pace for 4,379 passing yards, which would be the NFL rookie record surpassing 4,374 by Andrew Luck.

He is on pace for 27 td's, which would tie the NFL rookie record currently held by Manning, Wilson and Baker.

He is on pace for only 5 interceptions this year, and this despite being on pace for nearly breaking the all time most sacked QB record for a year.

He's currently on pace for the most attempts in an NFL season ever with 752 and completions ever with 485.

Now rookie years have a lot of ebb and flow, so these numbers are sure to change.

The fact that he's currently on pace to set NFL records as a rookie is amazing. On his current pace he should definitely get OROY.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:33 AM)jj22 Wrote: He is. I'm just highlighting that past OROY were getting OROM honors, and it's something to keep an eye on as a hint to the final vote.

Saquon Barkley didn’t win a single OROTM honor, but won OROY.
Reply/Quote
Of course he could still win OROY without ever winning OROM. The season lasts 16 weeks not 3 weeks. He could be the steadiestmost consistant rookie for the entire season without having a single month of the best production We may never hear from Robinson again this season. Joe being #2 each month for the season beats 1 person having 1 good month

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 12:03 PM)pally Wrote: We may never hear from Robinson again this season.  Joe being #2 each month for the season beats 1 person having 1 good month

Let's hope we don't hear from him much Sunday, but Sunday alone may garner him OROM for October the way this D is struggling.

Reply/Quote
I think it is a very thin rookie group this year i feel for the award. My top three at this time would be

1. Burrow
2. Robinson
3. Herbert
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 11:21 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: It's definitely surprising that they went with James Robinson, I thought he's been good. But I feel Joe has been great.

Joe Burrow is currently on pace for 4,379 passing yards, which would be the NFL rookie record surpassing 4,374 by Andrew Luck.

He is on pace for 27 td's, which would tie the NFL rookie record currently held by Manning, Wilson and Baker.

He is on pace for only 5 interceptions this year, and this despite being on pace for nearly breaking the all time most sacked QB record for a year.

He's currently on pace for the most attempts in an NFL season ever with 752 and completions ever with 485.

Now rookie years have a lot of ebb and flow, so these numbers are sure to change.

The fact that he's currently on pace to set NFL records as a rookie is amazing. On his current pace he should definitely get OROY.

Wait till the schedule gets tough though.

Two games with Pitt and two games with Baltimore will inflate the INTs and decrease the TD and yards.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 10:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The season has more than one month last time I checked.

Yep, he will get it if he doesn't get hurt pretty damn sure.

Burrow has played better than any rookie QB I have ever seen considering the shitty O-line in front of him.

No run game to take pressure off of him either.
Reply/Quote
Burrow has been very good ... but I don't have a problem giving the award to Robinson this month, as he has been phenomenal.  

Undrafted rookie RB with 339 total yards through 3 games (9th in the league at 113/game), 210 rushing yards (11th), 129 receiving (3rd among RBs), 3 TDs, no fumbles, and 4.9 YPC.

In contrast, Burrow was the first pick in the draft and is top-10 against the league only in passing yards and yards/game (9th at 821/273).  His TDs to INTs are good at 5/1, but middle-of-the-pack against the league (13th in TDs, 15th in INT) and pale in comparison to QBs like Wilson (14/1) and Allen (10/1).  He's taken the most sacks of any QB in the league (not his fault, but still ...) and his overall ratings are bottom-10 (QBR of 51, 23rd; Passer Rating of 89, 25th).

So I'll let Robinson have it this month.  But he's done after we shut  him down on Sunday ... Burrow will get it Oct-Jan Wink  Wink Wink
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals don't win a game or two, can't picture Burrow being given the award.
Murray won 5 games with Arizona, if the Bengals have 1 win on the year I think a lot of the voters will look at the yardage numbers as garbage time yards and padding stats, cause I really doubt they are sitting down to watch every snap of a Bengals game.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Should the coaching staff be throwing Burrow under the bus for the bad Oline play? Probably not a good idea to have Burrow worrying about if his play is the problem with team and he starts playing too conservative.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 05:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Should the coaching staff be throwing Burrow under the bus for the bad Oline play? Probably not a good idea to have Burrow worrying about if his play is the problem with team and he starts playing too conservative.

well maybe he needs to stop playing conservative now.. take and make some bigger plays down the field.. in some ways he looks like a young Dalton with a better ability to run
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 07:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well maybe he needs to stop playing conservative now.. take and make some bigger plays down the field.. in some ways he looks like a young Dalton with a better ability to run

Chicken or the egg argument realm now. If he had more time to pass, due to better blocking, would he be able to make those further down the field throws?
Reply/Quote