Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason (/Thread-Simple-Question-What-s-Your-Answer-and-Reason)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - impactplaya - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 08:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know man, but it seems pretty evident that they view Reiff as a one year stop-gap.  While Reiff should definitely be a nice step up from Bobby Hart, that one year deal with dead money on next season just screams "rental" to me.  All signs to me, point toward them going OL heavy in the draft.

I wonder if the Bengals collective minds feel.there isnt a RT thats ready to.be drafted and able to start Day 1.
Hence they signed Reiff to be a one year bridge and help
The learning process of a new RT being drafted.
I can see offensive playmaker in.RD 1, oline RDs 2 and 3.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Nicomo Cosca - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 09:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It really sucks that the team is so bad overall that we have so many holes and can't fill them all.

We’re not going anywhere with Zac Taylor anyway. Let’s just hope they have a couple nice drafts while Burrow is still on his rookie contract, and the next coach is set up nicely.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Murdock2420 - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 09:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’re not going anywhere with Zac Taylor anyway. Let’s just hope they have a couple nice drafts while Burrow is still on his rookie contract, and the next coach is set up nicely.

I just hope Burrow survives.

I really fear this kid being Andrew Luck.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Whatever - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 08:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know man, but it seems pretty evident that they view Reiff as a one year stop-gap.  While Reiff should definitely be a nice step up from Bobby Hart, that one year deal with dead money on next season just screams "rental" to me.  All signs to me, point toward them going OL heavy in the draft.

It's a very strong T class, so I can see the Bengals wanting to keep their options open.  There's a good chance a T will be the BPA in the 1st or 2nd rounds. The Bengals set themselves up perfectly in that they have the freedom to take one early if it's the top guy on the board, but they aren't forced to. It would be smart to get one by the end of Day 2, especially if it's a guy they can kick to G for a year to help him develop.  Oklahoma IOL Creed Humphrey is also a guy I would jump all over in 2.  

Currently, they need 2 G's, though I think they will sign at least one before the draft.  I would prefer Larry Warford over Trai Turner, as I think he's a much safer pickup.  

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - SunsetBengal - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 09:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals collective minds feel.there isnt a RT thats ready to.be drafted and able to start Day 1.
Hence they signed Reiff to be a one year bridge and help
The learning process of a new RT being drafted.
I can see offensive playmaker in.RD 1, oline RDs 2 and 3.

My best guess on the situation is they might want to draft Sewell, and start him at Guard.  While most can easily see Sewell's high ceiling, it's also evident from watching extended looks of his college play, that he could use another year of developing and refining his techniques, as well as physically growing into NFL strength and reactions.

In the event that Sewell is not on board at #5, I think the Bengals start entertaining offers to trade back, for the possibility of picking up another 2nd round pick, and reevaluate the board from whatever slot they move to.

I know this next part will piss some people off, but it's how I view the situation.  The Bengals taking a Pass Catcher at #5 would just be plain foolhardy.  They don't NEED a top pass catcher to improve the team from last year.  They do NEED to keep Joe Burrow safe and upright, as well as develop a dependable rushing attack to keep defenses honest.

(03-21-2021, 09:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's a very strong T class, so I can see the Bengals wanting to keep their options open.  There's a good chance a T will be the BPA in the 1st or 2nd rounds. The Bengals set themselves up perfectly in that they have the freedom to take one early if it's the top guy on the board, but they aren't forced to. It would be smart to get one by the end of Day 2, especially if it's a guy they can kick to G for a year to help him develop.  Oklahoma IOL Creed Humphrey is also a guy I would jump all over in 2.  

Currently, they need 2 G's, though I think they will sign at least one before the draft.  I would prefer Larry Warford over Trai Turner, as I think he's a much safer pickup.  

I'm not too sure about that.  Warford is still unemployed for a reason.  While the public word to the media was that NO needed to move on to the next Guard up, for cap space reasons.  The behind the scenes buzz was that his inability to control is weight gains was inhibiting his athletic ability to perform up to the level he had previously demonstrated.  While I know that it's possible for him to have rededicated himself to his athletic career in his year off, something tells me that a rich guy with all the money he'll need to be comfortable for the rest of his life, might not have taken the disciplined course during his year off.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Nicomo Cosca - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 09:26 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I just hope Burrow survives.

I really fear this kid being Andrew Luck.

Valid concern. And if they do it might finally be my breaking point with this team tbh.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Gdale_Bengal - 03-21-2021

(03-20-2021, 08:31 PM)Synric Wrote: Kyle Pitts is a game changer that trumps team needs.

This is the way

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - jason - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 09:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My best guess on the situation is they might want to draft Sewell, and start him at Guard.  While most can easily see Sewell's high ceiling, it's also evident from watching extended looks of his college play, that he could use another year of developing and refining his techniques, as well as physically growing into NFL strength and reactions.

In the event that Sewell is not on board at #5, I think the Bengals start entertaining offers to trade back, for the possibility of picking up another 2nd round pick, and reevaluate the board from whatever slot they move to.

I know this next part will piss some people off, but it's how I view the situation.  The Bengals taking a Pass Catcher at #5 would just be plain foolhardy.  They don't NEED a top pass catcher to improve the team from last year.  They do NEED to keep Joe Burrow safe and upright, as well as develop a dependable rushing attack to keep defenses honest.

While I agree that protecting Burrow is priority number 1... I think some of us are thinking we're better off in the skill department than we are. Granted... I think Higgins is gonna be the shit. I know he's not a finished product yet, and he may well explode this year. Tyler Boyd is a nice number 2. Neither one of em had 1000 yards last year, and we ain't exactly a run first team. I know an injury, Taylor putting a leash on Tee early, and to some extent terrible QB play were factors, but still...

I think if BPA is a pass catcher at 5, you pull the trigger. There is a lack of talent, and depth on this team, and it needs addressed. If it's Chase, Boyd will probably be around 30 when he's up for extension. There's literally nobody behind those two guys.

Having said all that; I want Sewell at 5.

(03-21-2021, 09:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My best guess on the situation is they might want to draft Sewell, and start him at Guard.  While most can easily see Sewell's high ceiling, it's also evident from watching extended looks of his college play, that he could use another year of developing and refining his techniques, as well as physically growing into NFL strength and reactions.

Im not crazy on.the idea that the Bengals would kick Sewell
To a OG position in his rookie season.
Im gonna guess that he didnt play OG in his 20 game sample
Size at Oregon.
17 months out of football and now your asking him to move to OG. 
Last year they tried that with Fred Johnson. Total fail.
Yeah I know it was Jim Turner and his Sgt.Carter tatics.
But OT and OG are 2-different animals.
Footwork. Hand placement. The type of pass rush moves going up against.
Why not draft a OG in RD 2 like Trey Smith out of UT 
And let him compete for that spot?

I think drafting a Kyle Pitts makes more sense at 5 than Chase.
The draft.is deeper at WR than TEs
Part of keeping Burrow safe and upright is more than just 
Adding new pieces on.the oline

How about some balance in the run pass ratio?
How about Burrow getting the ball out faster of his hands
How Taylor doing a better job of scheming the targets
To get open faster?

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - ezekiel23 - 03-21-2021

I think the Bengals may go after Trai Turner,OG,of whom the Chargers cut earlier this month.As far as I know,he’s still available.In which case I would select Chase as the #5 overall pick.Even if they don’t get him I would still choose Chase.Chase,Higgins,Boyd.Think about it.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - LebanonFan - 03-21-2021

Sewell, have to finally fix the line

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - sandwedge - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 05:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Man, you must be REALLY high on Sewell.

If you're basing our overall performance off that one pick, to the point where we if we go elsewhere we're destined to fail, that must be you think he's coming in and playing at a Pro Bowl level immediately.

To each their own, but I think a lot of people might be disappointed in year 1.  Their expectations are entirely way too high for a 20 year old kid with only 20 starts in college.

I really agree with that Wes. You gotta look at Sewell long term. Getting Rieff this year was a good move. It allows Sewell to get playing time here and there, whether at tackle or guard.

(03-21-2021, 09:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im not crazy on.the idea that the Bengals would kick Sewell
To a OG position in his rookie season.
Im gonna guess that he didnt play OG in his 20 game sample
Size at Oregon.
17 months out of football and now your asking him to move to OG. 
Last year they tried that with Fred Johnson. Total fail.
Yeah I know it was Jim Turner and his Sgt.Carter tatics.
But OT and OG are 2-different animals.
Footwork. Hand placement. The type of pass rush moves going up against.
Why not draft a OG in RD 2 like Trey Smith out of UT 
And let him compete for that spot?

I think drafting a Kyle Pitts makes more sense at 5 than Chase.
The draft.is deeper at WR than TEs
Part of keeping Burrow safe and upright is more than just 
Adding new pieces on.the oline

How about some balance in the run pass ratio?
How about Burrow getting the ball out faster of his hands
How Taylor doing a better job of scheming the targets
To get open faster?

I was really big on Trey Smith, even had him in my 1st mock of the year.  Then I learned about the blood clot issues with his legs.  That is a serious health red flag, one that may have pretty much all teams thinking twice before spending a high pick on him.  Now, I'm not going to pretend like I know anything clinical about blood clots, other than it's commonly known that they can be deadly.

To second bolded, I addressed running the ball in the post you responded to..

(03-21-2021, 10:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was really big on Trey Smith, even had him in my 1st mock of the year.  Then I learned about the blood clot issues with his legs.  That is a serious health red flag, one that may have pretty much all teams thinking twice before spending a high pick on him.  Now, I'm not going to pretend like I know anything clinical about blood clots, other than it's commonly known that they can be deadly.

To second bolded, I addressed running the ball in the post you responded to..
I think Trey Smith had the blood clot issues in his lungs
And his last episode was back in 2019.
Being a UT Vol fan since 1977, I try.to stay on.top of Rocky Top.
Smith is really physical in.the run game. 
Hes a good not great pass blocker. I think.he only.gave up
1  sack last season.
He started 40 games at UT. He went up against
The best of the best. Aside being 6'6 and a real physical
Presence...hes smart too. 

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 04:43 AM)Whatever Wrote: Wes Welker was a 4 time All Pro and a 5x Pro Bowler.  Chris Godwin, Mike Evans, and Antonio Brown are all former All Pro's.

Although if we're being realistic, if you're not willing to steal defensive signals and jam the radio communications to the defense like the Spygate Patriots did, they're not a good example to use on how to build an offense.

I knew people would say Wes Welker and wasn't he a SB MVP as well? I don't want to take anything away from him but I do feel like he was a product of the offense that was being ran and now the unarguably GOAT QB throwing the ball to him (on top of obviously being a good receiver). He didn't do a ton after Tom. Had a decent year with Peyton Manning right after Brady.

Side note he's the 49ers WR coach now.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - XenoMorph - 03-22-2021

I pick trade back for more picks... Still to many holes especially with depth

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - CoachGeorge - 03-22-2021

(03-21-2021, 09:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They don't NEED a top pass catcher to improve the team from last year. 

The Bengals absolutely need to improve from last year. They were 30th in red zone efficiency. Higgins and Boyd combined for all of 10 TD’s on the year. Tate and Thomas are bench players at best. The two TE’s had one TD each. Clearly, the WR and TE rooms lack both talent and depth. What happens when a starter goes down. It gets ugly quick.

We’ll see we’re they end up post-FA but a significant player is heavily needed. I can’t get on board with the thought that a receiver/TE at #5 is a “luxury”. They get Golladay and this isn’t a conversation. We didn’t.

Sewell’s pro-day looms large. He puts on a show, he is likely not going to be there at #5 anyway. Trading down is an armchair GM favorite tool. Unfortunately, the FO isn’t very good at this.

The fact the Bengals media says we’re taking Sewell more than likely means they are heavily exploring other options. No one believes what team media says this time of year anyway (or shouldn’t).

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Sled21 - 03-22-2021

If someone is choosing a WR or a TE (who is really a big bodied WR and mediocre at blocking) over taking what is being called a generational talent on the O-line, then they really can't complain about wanting to protect Burrow. The line has to be first. Give Burrow time, and he can make any receiver good, and we already have Higgins and Boyd.

RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - ochocincos - 03-22-2021

Out of the two, I'd pick the one being considered a generational talent, which is Sewell.
However, I think the Bengals are leaning Chase.
Also, my actual preference at 5 instead of either of those guys listed is Pitts.