Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
First round pick 5, Bengals have both Sewell and Chase available, Mike Brown looks at you and says your decision and why? Then Bengals pull the trigger on your selection from these two.
Reply/Quote
Sewell

PROTECT BURROW

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Sewell

PROTECT BURROW
Reply/Quote
Sewell, because the way to build a strong football team is from the inside out. Meaning OL and DL take priority over anything else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Build from the inside out. Can’t score points if Burrow is not available. A solid line increases his availability.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sewell, because the way to build a strong football team is from the inside out.  Meaning OL and DL take priority over anything else.

This exactly. But beyond that I feel like we have our #1 WR to grow with Joe in Higgins. A QB like Joe will make a lot of WR's look good anyway, as long as he is well protected, and that is #1. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:42 PM)GodFather Wrote: First round pick 5, Bengals have both Sewell and Chase available, Mike Brown looks at you and says your decision and why? Then Bengals pull the trigger on your selection from these two.

Very tough to answer at the moment.  We have two quality starting T's.  We don't have 3 starting quality WR's.  If we do nothing else in FA, I would say take Sewell and stick him at G for a year and try to address WR in 2.  If we add a decent G, I think it then swings more towards Chase. 

Both are great prospects and would be great picks, though.  I would be very happy with either.
Reply/Quote
you dont buy a Ferrari and park it in a carport......

I would also take Slater/Pitts over Chase if Sewell is gone.
Reply/Quote
Sewell, protect Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Sewell is the guy CIN has to take if he’s available.

Chase is good. Maybe all-pro caliber. But I would take Pitts before Chase because he has the potential to be a weapon unlike any we’ve ever had.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I take Chase.
Signing Reiff allows a premier playmaker to fall.to them at 5.
The Bengals need a serious end zone.threat on offense.
Boyd is the best chain mover in the game.
But hes not a TD machine.
Tee Higgins has potential to be a consistant end zone threat
But the rest of the supporting cast are not consistant end zone threats.

Not Uzomah, not Bernard, not Tate, not Sample.
Chase.could be a difference maker right out the gate.
Sewell is a great talent, but isnt better than Slater or Darrisaw.
Plus he hasnt played in 15 months
The Bengals can still.grab.a future RT in RD 2.
The Bengals need a impact player at 5.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I take Chase.
Signing Reiff allows a premier playmaker to fall.to them at 5.
The Bengals need  a serious end zone.threat on offense.
Boyd is the best chain mover in the game.
But hes not a TD machine.
Tee Higgins has potential to be a consistant end zone threat
But the rest of the supporting cast are not consistant end zone threats.

Not Uzomah, not Bernard, not Tate, not Sample.
Chase.could be a difference maker right out the gate.
Sewell is a great talent, but isnt better than Slater or Darrisaw.
Plus he hasnt played in 15 months
The Bengals can still.grab.a future RT in RD 2.
The Bengals need a impact player at 5.

Have to disagree. Our line improved a little. It still sucks.

Reply/Quote
Easy pick....... Burrow can make average receivers good but 1 he can't do it from the ground and 2 he can't make bad linemen look good.

Every level of football starts up front.
Reply/Quote
Sewell would be my choice
Reply/Quote
Kyle Pitts is a game changer that trumps team needs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I voted Sewell because you can win plenty of games with inferior receivers but we’ve seen for the last 5-6 years why you need a great line. Obviously more to it. I would love Chase, but I just can’t pass up on bolstering the line especially with Reiff only on a 1 year deal. Too many holes to fill Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Easy pick.......  Burrow can make average receivers good but 1 he can't do it from the ground and 2 he can't make bad linemen look good.

Every level of football starts up front.

Name an average receiver Joe Burrow has made look good.

When he broke college records, he was throwing to a guy who was an All Pro as a rookie and a guy we're discussing taking #5 overall.  

Did he make AJ look good last year?  Tate?  Thomas?  Erickson?

It's cool to want Sewell, but Burrow didn't make lesser receivers better in college and he didn't do it as a rookie, either.  You put great weapons around him and he'll destroy teams and make it look easy, but he has shown no ability to make guys look better than they really are to this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
Pitts Off! J/j you have to take the Olinemen. Every year we get distracted by the impact skill players yet half way threw the season we’re ready to trade away future picks for an Oline. Fix the line, both lines then we can go BPA all day.
Reply/Quote
Sewell even though I’m not super excited about taking a guy in the top 5 who didn’t even play football last year.

You could’ve added more options like Devonte, Pitts, and a trade down. I’d go trade down every time.

Like Brad said. I think Burrow is going to make average receivers look good. Just make sure they can catch.

Having said that. We lost a franchise great WR AJ and a first round pick WR Ross whose rookie contract expired, and a solid veteran depth piece WR Erickson. I could easily see this team doing what they normally would do and drafting a WR. But things have been different the last couple years. So maybe my argument for Sewell would be how many Super Bowls have we won drafting the fancy big time WRs in the top 10?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Name an average receiver Joe Burrow has made look good.

When he broke college records, he was throwing to a guy who was an All Pro as a rookie and a guy we're discussing taking #5 overall.  

Did he make AJ look good last year?  Tate?  Thomas?  Erickson?

It's cool to want Sewell, but Burrow didn't make lesser receivers better in college and he didn't do it as a rookie, either.  You put great weapons around him and he'll destroy teams and make it look easy, but he has shown no ability to make guys look better than they really are to this point in his career.

I guess I'm just looking at what he can do if given the opportunities because he has great ball placement and can read defenses, which is something you could see while setting records in college, regardless of who his receivers were.

There have been lots of great college receivers whose quarterbacks didn't set records or even succeed nearly as much as Burrow did.
Reply/Quote