Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? (/Thread-Are-we-rolling-with-Sample-as-the-starting-TE)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 12:29 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'd let Hooper take all the attention and slide into Gerald Everett's DM's with $5mill/yr for 3 years and $5mill signing bonus.

I would like this.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Soonerpeace - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 12:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But in this case is it really the exception or the rule? Below are the top 5 TEs in receptions last year and the round they were taken. The top drafted TE in their draft follows.
Travis Kelce 3rd (Tyler Eifert)
Zach Ertz 2nd (Eifert)
Dalton Schultz 4th (Hayden Hurst)
Mike Gieseki 2th (Hayden Hurst)
George Kittle 5th (OJ Howard).

None of the leaders were taken in RD or the 1st TE taken in their class and over half were taken in RD 3 or later.. Of all positions I think TE is one in which you can wait

Exactly. This was money. They will draft a TE in the 3/4 round that’s a receiver type. They will use Sample for the run game. It was about money for both parties. But a replacement as a low salary rookie for Uzomah’s 8 million is huge. A roster is give and take. Your moves may strengthen you in an area but weaken you elsewhere. You hope that your decision net results in a better roster. And the juggling of the dollars is the bus driver

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 02:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Exactly. This was money. They will draft a TE in the 3/4 round that’s a receiver type. They will use Sample for the run game. It was about money for both parties. But a replacement as a low salary rookie for Uzomah’s 8 million is huge. A roster is give and take. Your moves may strengthen you in an area but weaken you elsewhere. You hope that your decision net results in a better roster. And the juggling of the dollars is the bus driver

Jelani Woods?

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - THE PISTONS - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 02:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Exactly. This was money. They will draft a TE in the 3/4 round that’s a receiver type. They will use Sample for the run game. It was about money for both parties. But a replacement as a low salary rookie for Uzomah’s 8 million is huge. A roster is give and take. Your moves may strengthen you in an area but weaken you elsewhere. You hope that your decision net results in a better roster. And the juggling of the dollars is the bus driver

The problem with Sample...and our offense in general is...they move Burrow under Center and put Sample in...and that's like saying...Hey we're going to run the ball.

Then, when you go out of shotgun and bring the receiving TE in, it's saying...Hey we're going to pass.

(03-16-2022, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The problem with Sample...and our offense in general is...they move Burrow under Center and put Sample in...and that's like saying...Hey we're going to run the ball.

Then, when you go out of shotgun and bring the receiving TE in, it's saying...Hey we're going to pass.

No doubt. This is so predictable. I will give Drew a little credit, sometimes this doesn't even matter, he is a good run blocker.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Joelist - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The problem with Sample...and our offense in general is...they move Burrow under Center and put Sample in...and that's like saying...Hey we're going to run the ball.

The problem of the Bengals telegraphing the play by their formation predates Burrow and goes back to Hue who was the last OC we had that tried to disguise the play.

(03-16-2022, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jelani Woods?

Well he’d be a good one but he may go too high

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Bengalfan4life27c - 03-16-2022

Buccs haven't convinced Gronk to return yet. Article also says it's not about the money or him planning to retire. No mention of the Bengals though it's a Buccs article

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - fredtoast - 03-16-2022

That is exactly the same for every NFL team.

So what is your point?  You think we should use the same 11 starters and same formation for every play the entire game?

(03-16-2022, 03:27 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Buccs haven't convinced Gronk to return yet. Article also says it's not about the money or him planning to retire. No mention of the Bengals though it's a Buccs article

He wants more than 1 year

(03-16-2022, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The problem with Sample...and our offense in general is...they move Burrow under Center and put Sample in...and that's like saying...Hey we're going to run the ball.

But a lot of times both C J and Drew both in and in a jumbo set. But you are right. Sample is a one trick pony. He’s got to get better in the passing game.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - SunsetBengal - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 03:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly the same for every NFL team.

So what is your point?  You think we should use the same 11 starters and same formation for every play the entire game?

Why would you suggest doing that?  Simply by bolstering the OL the rushing game should be a little more effective.  One of the benefits of being able to rush the ball effectively is that play action passes work so much better.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - fredtoast - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 03:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why would you suggest doing that?  Simply by bolstering the OL the rushing game should be a little more effective.  One of the benefits of being able to rush the ball effectively is that play action passes work so much better.

I don't think you understand what was being discussed.

My point was that the Bengals were no more predictable based on formation than any other team in the league, so why are people complaining about it.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Synric - 03-16-2022

OJ Howard to the Bills.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Au165 - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 08:12 PM)Synric Wrote: OJ Howard to the Bills.

Super cheap deal, seems kind of weird. I’m guessing we just didn’t have interest based on the deal because he is TE 2 in BUF.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - TheLeonardLeap - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 08:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Super cheap deal, seems kind of weird. I’m guessing we just didn’t have interest based on the deal because he is TE 2 in BUF.

Had to look it up because I didn't hear the numbers. 1yr/$3.5m with the potential to go up to $5m. If that's all it took to get him, I wish the Bengals had went for it.

(03-16-2022, 08:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Super cheap deal, seems kind of weird. I’m guessing we just didn’t have interest based on the deal because he is TE 2 in BUF.

It's weird really the Bengals made 3 solid signings(Cappa, Karras, Hill) but they weren't upper tier which is fine but since then they have not really filled hole.

I said in another thread I felt thr Bengals had a plan but now I'm not so sure.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Au165 - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 08:26 PM)Synric Wrote: It's weird really the Bengals made 3 solid signings(Cappa, Karras, Hill) but they weren't upper tier which is fine but since then they have not really filled hole.

Historically by weekend of week 1 the prices drop significantly. I wonder if they aren’t looking for more Awuzie/Hilton type deals to cover more needs to open up draft.

(03-16-2022, 08:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Historically by weekend of week 1 the prices drop significantly. I wonder if they aren’t looking for more Awuzie/Hilton type deals to cover more needs to open up draft.

To be fair theres been some deals and at key positions like this OJ Howard signing or Moses going to a rival. 

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - MileHighGrowler - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 08:26 PM)Synric Wrote: It's weird really the Bengals made 3 solid signings(Cappa, Karras, Hill) but they weren't upper tier which is fine but since then they have not really filled hole.

I'm not particularly worried at the moment.  They came out firing on day 1 (way out of character) to get things started.  Now there's cap casualties and the draft.  I suspect there's more of a plan and they're not done yet.  But they have to wait a little perhaps to hit the next steps.  I have a hard time seeing them being aggressive on their start and then just dropping off completely.  Perhaps they will.  But I'd be surprised.  I am very curious to see what happens next, though.  Watching some of the other aggressive league moves (and particularly in the AFC) it will be interesting to see how the Bengals round out their offseason.