Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How important is a TE - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: How important is a TE (/Thread-How-important-is-a-TE)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: How important is a TE - Essex Johnson - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 01:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I like Hudson but Hurst was better. Idk why Hurst still has all these detractors lol

The problem is Hurst has been over hyped because of his draft status and people assume if given starting role would blossom as top 10 TE but that has not materalized, he had decent numbers last year for us except was near the bottom ypc of TEs and wanted more $$ I think than he was worth,  I way prefer giving Hudson more opportunities after what he showed finally given a chance for much less $$ .

I've never stated to stay pat on TE but also know we only have so much capital to spend in a yr so let's try to sign a better FA TE to 2 yr deal and  sign Hudson also. The more I read this draft is thin at TE might not get much in 2 to 4 , so look next year at 2/3 round TE, maybe add a blocking TE late in draft this year especially if we don't sign Sample.

RE: How important is a TE - Frank Booth - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 02:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The problem is Hurst has been over hyped because of his draft status and people assume if given starting role would blossom as top 10 TE but that has not materalized, he had decent numbers last year for us except was near the bottom ypc of TEs and wanted more $$ I think than he was worth,  I way prefer giving Hudson more opportunities after what he showed finally given a chance for much less $$ .

I've never stated to stay pat on TE but also know we only have so much capital to spend in a yr so let's try to sign a better FA TE to 2 yr deal and  sign Hudson also. The more I read this draft is thin at TE might not get much in 2 to 4 , so look next year at 2/3 round TE, maybe add a blocking TE late in draft this year especially if we don't sign Sample.

It was the right decision to move on from Hurst but that guy had superb hands and make spectacular catches. He also knew how to grind out extra yards after he catch. Was he a good blocker? No, but he was a hell of an athlete.

(02-05-2024, 02:04 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I still think with the holes we have at RT. DT, and CB/S, we will look to draft the new TE in rd 3-4 depending on who's available. I actually see our depth chart in 24 as:

1) Tanner Hudson- primary TE in passing downs
2) Cade Stover or Ben Sinnott- draft picks either in rd 3/4
3) Drew Sample- fits a blocking back type package.

- I think we will look at upgrading the Dline and secondary depth in free agency with a solid swing G/T veteran on offense line. The TE position is one that we will not invest alot of capital on IMO

I agree, there are bigger holes than TE. Trenches in particular, RT and DT

(02-05-2024, 02:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I agree, there are bigger holes than TE. Trenches in particular, RT and DT

I agree with you 1/2 round i look at both sides of the ball unless we trade Tee but we should hopefully get a 2nd for Tee but a 3rd for sure, what type of contract you think Sample is looking for ?

(02-05-2024, 01:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You have made so many stupid and just factually wrong statements on here that Im glad you disagree with me.  I could pull so many receipts of just utter lack of basic knowledge.  But you keep being you.

With your thinking, we should have not signed Browning and now should be looking for a better starting QB since he had a track record a bit like Hudson.. Im going to try to ignore your lack of decorum, since you are bring me down into that sandbox...

(02-05-2024, 03:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree with you 1/2 round i look at both sides of the ball unless we trade Tee but we should hopefully get a 2nd for Tee but a 3rd for sure, what type of contract you think Sample is looking for ?

id, hopefully something cheap. He's 1 dimensional

RE: How important is a TE - SunsetBengal - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 03:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: id, hopefully something cheap. He's 1 dimensional

Vet minimum for players with 4-6 years of experience is $1.08M for 2024, I could see the team offering him as much as $1.5M if they really want him on the team.

RE: How important is a TE - casear2727 - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 02:04 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I still think with the holes we have at RT. DT, and CB/S, we will look to draft the new TE in rd 3-4 depending on who's available. I actually see our depth chart in 24 as:

1) Tanner Hudson- primary TE in passing downs
2) Cade Stover or Ben Sinnott- draft picks either in rd 3/4
3) Drew Sample- fits a blocking back type package.

- I think we will look at upgrading the Dline and secondary depth in free agency with a solid swing G/T veteran on offense line. The TE position is one that we will not invest alot of capital on IMO

The only issue with having such a thin TE room is that we are also losing Boyd.  Unless one of those rookies or another WR on the roster can can step up it could get dicey.

RE: How important is a TE - schroomytunes - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 04:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The only issue with having such a thin TE room is that we are also losing Boyd.  Unless one of those rookies or another WR on the roster can can step up it could get dicey.

I'm ok with one of last year's rookie picks taking over the slot position (Iosivas, C. Jones).  Boyd has lost a step and its time to move on from him. I wouldn't mind taking a look at these 2 options at WR:, but either way we are bringing in another WR probably in later rounds.

1) FA- Braxton Berrios-(Dolphins) pure slot reciever and ST ace would allow C. Jones to be the full time slot guy and he takes over the punt returns.

2) Luke McCaffrey-(Rice) pure slot guy with good family bloodlines, could maybe be had in 6th rd.

--side note I think sample can be had for under 1.4 million on a 1 yr deal.

(02-05-2024, 05:06 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I'm ok with one of last year's rookie picks taking over the slot position (Iosivas, C. Jones).  Boyd has lost a step and its time to move on from him. I wouldn't mind taking a look at these 2 options at WR:, but either way we are bringing in another WR probably in later rounds.

1) FA- Braxton Berrios-(Dolphins) pure slot reciever and ST ace would allow C. Jones to be the full time slot guy and he takes over the punt returns.

2) Luke McCaffrey-(Rice) pure slot guy with good family bloodlines, could maybe be had in 6th rd.

--side note I think sample can be had for under 1.4 million on a 1 yr deal.

They seem to draft Jones to replace Boyd that has Been the m.o. of bengals of late, I don't see a reason to pick a WR in this draft before round 5

RE: How important is a TE - Soonerpeace - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 08:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They seem to draft Jones to replace Boyd that has Been the m.o. of bengals of late, I don't see a reason to pick a WR in this draft before round 5

I agree. I’m not sure they know definitively that Jones or Isovias are the caliber of receiver they need. But they have to find out. But I don’t see them turning down a WR,RB, or TE at 18. Don’t think they expect to but if one is there they will grab them. But it would have to be someone at the top of their board. Like a lot on here I expect 75% RT 25% DT. But like I’ve maintained I expect a decent DT ( not a high dollar one) will be picked up in FA.

RE: How important is a TE - Whacked - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 04:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The only issue with having such a thin TE room is that we are also losing Boyd.  Unless one of those rookies or another WR on the roster can can step up it could get dicey.

Good point. Losing Boyd makes me even more interested in a decent TE
I’m not as high “yet” Andrei. We’ll see. Charlie Jones - even less confident.

Call me crazy but even though Irwin is not a burner or flashy, dude has great hands and might make for an “ok / good-enough” sure-handed #3 and poor man’s Boyd; yes definitely more so in line with Boyd’s recent years. Doesn’t seem scared to make plays in the middle of the field either when he knows he is about to get walloped.

(02-05-2024, 09:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I agree. I’m not sure they know definitively that Jones or Isovias are the caliber of receiver they need. But they have to find out. But I don’t see them turning down a WR,RB, or TE at 18. Don’t think they expect to but if one is there they will grab them. But it would have to be someone at the top of their board. Like a lot on here I expect 75% RT 25% DT. But like I’ve maintained I expect a decent DT ( not a high dollar one) will be picked up in FA.

Jones is more Boyd type , I think if their OT is there at 18 that is the pick 

RE: How important is a TE - Bengalstripes9 - 02-05-2024

I think pass rush would move the needle much further than tight end.

My ranking of needs:
Dline
Oline
Defensive secondary
Wide Receiver if we lose Tee
Tight End
Linebacker
Running Back
QB

(The last 3 are definitely not needs in my opinion)

We struggled along the dline this year and it made things hard on the linebackers in the run game.
We struggled in the secondary as well. A lot of this should improve with young players gaining experience, but it was a big weakness.

I do think it would be nice to have a more dynamic tight end, but I don't put it at the top of my list of priorities.
We can score with a balanced offensive game plan--as we saw against the 9ers and Bills.
We just need to develop that balanced game plan, with more deception.
A tight end would help, but we would be perfectly fine with Hudson, Sample, and a free agent, and possibly a mid round rookie.

I think the Bengals learned their lesson from Gresham and Eifert. Both were great tight ends. But there were much better tight ends taken after Gresham was taken early (gronk). Tight end is a very injury prone position because of the force needed to tackle them. And, can we really expect to be able to sign a playmaker to a second contract if we have Burrow and Chase--as well as Tee possibly?

LaPorta, Gronk, Kittle, and even Kelce (63rd overall) are great examples of how you can draft tight ends later in the draft. I prefer this strategy paired with free agency. It's too risky picking them in the 1st, especially after Eifert. I think Hockenson may be the only first rounder (currently) that I'd consider a top tight end.

We need fresh, young players along the dline and oline more than anything. Need to draft some studs high and develop them. In a couple years who knows what the conversation will be with Hendrickson getting older. Already we have Reader on his way out.. Our oline isn't young by any means--mostly free agents. A young stud up front would be huge for the long-term sustainability of that unit.

As far as my 3rd top need, I like the young secondary players. I wouldn't be against adding another young player there. But we are probably fine adding a free agent or two and a mid round pick.

RE: How important is a TE - Soonerpeace - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 09:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Jones is more Boyd type , I think if their OT is there at 18 that is the pick 

Jones is more slot and isovias outside chance to emerge as a starter. And yes why I put a prediction of 75% the first pick is a RT.

RE: How important is a TE - ochocincos - 02-06-2024

(02-05-2024, 02:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I agree, there are bigger holes than TE. Trenches in particular, RT and DT

Well technically TE is a bigger hole than RT because at least there's SOMEONE on the roster to play RT whereas there's no TE currently signed.

But yes, the Bengals have had success bringing in most budget-friendly guys at TE in recent years (other than Irv Smith), and RT and DT need to be sure to be addressed.

I'm content with Hudson, Sample, and a draft pick at TE, although ideally I'd want Schultz or Fant (unless they somehow get lucky with Bowers).

RE: How important is a TE - pulses - 02-07-2024

Draft Sinnot in the mid rounds he's an excellent blocker and has good hands to match!!

RE: How important is a TE - SunsetBengal - 02-07-2024

(02-07-2024, 03:51 AM)pulses Wrote: Draft Sinnot in the mid rounds he's an excellent blocker and has good hands to match!!

He's currently listed as the 3rd best TE on several boards, might have to get him in the 3rd, if he's still on the board. 

RE: How important is a TE - Essex Johnson - 02-07-2024

(02-05-2024, 10:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jones is more slot and isovias outside chance to emerge as a starter. And yes why I put a prediction of 75% the first pick is a RT.

depth in 1st round looks good for RT also, very likely not a reach pick at 18 with a RT, im not so sure about DT think it is a thinner position so #18 could be a reach depending what is there. I don;t see this WR group as a deep 1st round group either.. After the top 5 (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman and Thomas), i feel might be reaching at #18.

RE: How important is a TE - bengals1969 - 02-07-2024

(01-30-2024, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Name the 4-best TEs in the NFL: One could make a great argument for LAPORTA, KITTLE, KELCE, ANDREWS.
What do they have in common? They all played in the conference Championship game

When discussion turns to TE around here one of the quick arguments is: A TE is not a focal point of a Taylor offense.

Yet:
UZOMAH had a career year the one year he spent w/ JB and Zac

HURST restarted his career in Cincy w/ JB and Zac

HUDSON went from a garbage journeyman to a viable part of our offense

I think we currently have 0 TEs under contract and that's not a bad thing IMO

Many are suggesting Tee is priority#1 in the off-season, but money/draft capital may be better spent getting a stud TE.

FA market is kinda thin at the top. He have the likes of Schultz, Fant, and Gesecki.

The draft has a stud TE (Bowers) and if he makes it to 18 he should be the pick

Then we have "rebuilding teams" that may entertain trade

Hockenson is pricey, but could likely be had from Minny as they clear cap

Pitts is being wasted in ATL, maybe the new regime there would prefer picks

Bears would most likely move KMET

What are other's thoughts on TE?

I don't understand Bengals drafting of late.  Knowing Boyd, Williams and Tee were very likely goners, why not draft their replacements during the 2023 draft?  A TE can be part of the Tee/Boyd replacement since highly unlikely we draft "the guy", especially since there were so many highly touted TE's.  
In fact why not trade Tee for a haul of draft picks?

Williams replacement?  I don't get it.  
Backend was in crisis last season before the draft, so they tended to it.  Still that number 1 pick should have addressed the upcoming 2024 problems.

Look what KC did when their #1 WR got too pricy.  Headed to the Swift Bowl again.