Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How important is a TE
Name the 4-best TEs in the NFL: One could make a great argument for LAPORTA, KITTLE, KELCE, ANDREWS.
What do they have in common? They all played in the conference Championship game

When discussion turns to TE around here one of the quick arguments is: A TE is not a focal point of a Taylor offense.

Yet:
UZOMAH had a career year the one year he spent w/ JB and Zac

HURST restarted his career in Cincy w/ JB and Zac

HUDSON went from a garbage journeyman to a viable part of our offense

I think we currently have 0 TEs under contract and that's not a bad thing IMO

Many are suggesting Tee is priority#1 in the off-season, but money/draft capital may be better spent getting a stud TE.

FA market is kinda thin at the top. He have the likes of Schultz, Fant, and Gesecki.

The draft has a stud TE (Bowers) and if he makes it to 18 he should be the pick

Then we have "rebuilding teams" that may entertain trade

Hockenson is pricey, but could likely be had from Minny as they clear cap

Pitts is being wasted in ATL, maybe the new regime there would prefer picks

Bears would most likely move KMET

What are other's thoughts on TE?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's been a frustration for me, not having a top TE locked down year to year. A big target, with good hands, and can block when needed to do so. I was hoping for La Porta last year (went in the 2nd round) in that big TE class. Having someone like La Porta would make the eventual loss of Tee so much more palatable.
Reply/Quote
How Important is a TE ???

Kelce and Kittle are in The Super Bowl. How many Super Bowls did Gronk go to. Nuff Said.

On the Bengals trips to Super Bowl or AFC Championship, the Bengals TE's always played a huge role in Bengals getting that far in 1981, 1988, 2021 and 2022.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This was recently written about by Williams: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/jason-williams/2024/01/28/what-if-cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-had-top-tight-end-like-travis-kelce-george-kittle-to-throw-to/72389188007/
Reply/Quote
There were a ton of good TEs in last years draft. Tgey never picked one.

There’s your answer as to drafting TE this year.

Even if Bowers is there at 18, tge bengals will not pick him.
Reply/Quote
I think it does get addressed this offseason, but with major holes coming up in FA I think it gets addressed in the draft. I could see this scenario coming up for us:

1) Tanner Hudson- resigned

2) Cade Stover (OSU)-3rd rd or Ben Sinnott (KSU)- 4th rd both fit what we are looking for in a TE, just depends on what rd they want to address certain other needs. (RT, S, DL)

3) Drew Sample -resigned, blocking back.

- I think they will look to add secondary and IOL help in FA, as they will be depth pieces. The draft will always be for skilled players.
Reply/Quote
Tight end seems like it could be upgraded with very little effort.

I'm counting 11 Tight Ends that had between 528 and 761 yards in 2023.

7 other Tight ends had 825 yards or more peaking with just 1 of them above 1,000 with 1,020 yards.

Guys like 2nd rounder Cole Kmet & 4th rounder Jake Ferguson had 719 and 761 yards respectively.

*The Bengals seemed to thrive with just 493 yards from CJ Uzomah in 2021.

** Just spending a little more on a decent Free Agent and maybe Drafting a decent one should be enough to

get a guy into the 550 yards plus range in a season if they used him in the passing game like Uzomah was.

May not have to be a Stud or expensive guy (but a guy like Bowers could be Sam Laport like)
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Name the 4-best TEs in the NFL: One could make a great argument for LAPORTA, KITTLE, KELCE, ANDREWS.
What do they have in common? They all played in the conference Championship game

When discussion turns to TE around here one of the quick arguments is: A TE is not a focal point of a Taylor offense.

Yet:
UZOMAH had a career year the one year he spent w/ JB and Zac

HURST restarted his career in Cincy w/ JB and Zac

HUDSON went from a garbage journeyman to a viable part of our offense

I think we currently have 0 TEs under contract and that's not a bad thing IMO

Many are suggesting Tee is priority#1 in the off-season, but money/draft capital may be better spent getting a stud TE.

FA market is kinda thin at the top. He have the likes of Schultz, Fant, and Gesecki.

The draft has a stud TE (Bowers) and if he makes it to 18 he should be the pick

Then we have "rebuilding teams" that may entertain trade

Hockenson is pricey, but could likely be had from Minny as they clear cap

Pitts is being wasted in ATL, maybe the new regime there would prefer picks

Bears would most likely move KMET

What are other's thoughts on TE?

Hockenson and Kmet recently signed extensions and their teams would eat more dead cap than they would save by trading them.

A guy that COULD become available is Mark Andrews.  The Ravens are in bad cap shape for next year with a ton of pending FA's, plus may have the heir apparent already with Likely.  I doubt we would do a trade, but if he's released(he has a large roster bonus due next year), he would be an option.

Pitts is an interesting option, but it's hard to say how much Atlanta values him, as well as are you getting '21, '22, or '23 Kyle Pitts?  Though, another option is the Falcons need a QB and if Daniels doesn't make it to them, do they trade back for Penix or Nix, maybe opening the door to move up to 8 for an elite talent(Bowers?).
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 03:29 PM)Nepa Wrote: It's been a frustration for me, not having a top TE locked down year to year. A big target, with good hands, and can block when needed to do so. I was hoping for La Porta last year (went in the 2nd round) in that big TE class. Having someone like La Porta would make the eventual loss of Tee so much more palatable.

This tough to argue. And I am not a fan of grabbing an early tight end. I think hurst here on a multi year deal would’ve been dangerous. But his price was stupid. But I’d agree with u here when u allude to tee. Lemme ask you. I want them to resign boyd. Let’s say they do
Would u rather them go WR or TE in the second if u had to chose and value was the same for both at that spot?
Reply/Quote
Rather have an efficient running game

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 05:27 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: This tough to argue.  And I am not a fan of grabbing an early tight end.  I think hurst here on a multi year deal would’ve been dangerous.  But his price was stupid.  But I’d agree with u here when u allude to tee.  Lemme ask you.  I want them to resign boyd.  Let’s say they do
Would u rather them go WR or TE in the second if u had to chose and value was the same for both at that spot?

If the TE available could block and leak out to catch passes in the mid-range game, and was big (not the 6'2" Irv Smith), then I would prefer that over a comparable WR. Because I would put a premium on protecting Burrow and keeping the chains moving. But complete TEs might be hard to find in the 17th slot in the 2nd (the Bengals would move up one slot each round, since they were tied with other teams, so the 49th overall pick in the 2nd round).
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 05:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Rather have an efficient running game

This is first and foremost.  At the very least we need a Perine replacement to get tough yards and protect the qb.  That shouldn't be a huge or expensive ask.  

As for TE, I think they start getting serious about the position as the 3 stud receiver situation dissipates.  TE is a much more cost effective way to have an embarrassment of weapons that maintaining a roster of veteran number 1 or 1a wideouts.
Reply/Quote
I've been begging for a pass catching tight end and for Zac to actually use him.

It would make the field so much wider for the defenses to defend and it would occupy safeties and backers.

If we get a tight end that can stretch the field up the seam and beat backers, who does a defense double? Chase or the tight end?

It would also create a safety valve for Burrow, along with creating so many mismatches.

I'd rather draft Bowers (even if we have to trade up some spots, but hopefully he falls so it wouldn't be too far) and improve the offense line in free agency because I don't trust Pollack to get the most out of a draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 05:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Rather have an efficient running game

So what RB do you want?

You also realize that good TE's help the run game, right?
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 06:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: So what RB do you want?

Sample was supposed to help the run game, the elite passing game was supposed to help the run game

still bottom tier

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 06:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: So what RB do you want?

(01-30-2024, 07:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Sample was supposed to help the run game, the elite passing game was supposed to help the run game

still bottom tier

Maybe we just have a different standard for a good TE
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I saw a graph in one of the playoff games, leading receptions in playoffs ever, top 6 or so, only Montana and Rice weren’t TE hookups. All SB winners.
Reply/Quote
Depending how FA goes I’m hearing they are frustrated w/o a bonafide TE. Certainly they were pleased with Sample and all what he does and were very pleased with Tanner. But I think they are ready to get a very good TE. I don’t know who has the biggest voice in the draft. The offensive coaches really liked La Porta. Myles Murphy physically wowed them. But his numbers at Clemson weren’t spectacular. D J Turner’s numbers were great but he didn’t force himself as a starter. They recognize that a DT and RT are of the highest priority. It’ll be interesting this draft after drafting the first 3 last year for the defense.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
All I know is the Bengals went to two Super Bowls in the 1980s using a TE-centric offense. Often times, two TEs. Heck, Dan Ross recorded a Super Bowl record for a TE. Kenny Anderson thrived with two tight ends. What is not to like about a big receiver who can catch, run and deliver a powerful block when needed. IMHO. a great TE can be more valuable than most wide receivers and RBs. The Patriots and Kansas City prove my point.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 04:18 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: There were a ton of good TEs in last years draft. Tgey never picked one.

There’s your answer as to drafting TE this year.

Even if Bowers is there at 18, tge bengals will not pick him.

They absolutely would. They wanted one last year but the board just didn’t fall that way.

Reply/Quote