Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Who do you take? WR - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Who do you take? WR (/Thread-Who-do-you-take-WR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Who do you take? WR - PDub80 - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 06:39 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: While I agree this is a weak draft for WR's I also believe that you are slightly off base with your 4-5 good WR's assumption. 
There are 9-10 good WR's in this draft. If you do your homework you will most likely come to that conclusion as well.

I follow the draft religiously every year. I love it and find the workings of it fascinating through the entire off season. We even throw a draft party for about 20 of my buddies who are big football fans at my house every year and have since 2000 (if I recall). I've been doing homework on the draft since the season ended and the order was set.

- If there are 9-10 good players in a draft at a position, that's considered really strong. Not weak at all! A grade of 6 or higher on a player is considered to be a strong chance to be a good NFL starter.

There are 4 players rated at 6 or higher at wr and not really much separation between them. The high is 6.2 (Fuller & Treadwell) followed by 6.1 Doctson & 6.0 Coleman. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:wr

No superstars here at all in terms of projection. For a high benchmark to keep in your head for comparison, AJ Green projected out at 8.62! http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/a.j.-green?id=2495450 He would possibly be #1 overall pick if he were coming out this year. The next closest player grade wise to him is a 7.2. That's a big drop in talent.

All we can talk about during the draft is projection, so for the absolute BEST wr in this draft class to be at only a 6.2 and there are only 4 guys in the 6s means the class is awful. Obviously projections can be wrong, but the norm is that they are typically pretty accurate. The wrs this draft class are okay to poor.

Homestly, the only position group this draft that is hella strong is the Dline. If the Bengals took 3 Dlimeman I wouldn't care. There are 16 guys ranked 6 or higher. That's insane!

RE: Who do you take? WR - coachmcneil71 - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 07:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I follow the draft religiously every year. I love it and find the workings of it fascinating through the entire off season. We even throw a draft party for about 20 of my buddies who are big football fans at my house every year and have since 2000 (if I recall). I've been doing homework on the draft since the season ended and the order was set.

- If there are 9-10 good players in a draft at a position, that's considered really strong. Not weak at all! A grade of 6 or higher on a player is considered to be a strong chance to be a good NFL starter.

There are 4 players rated at 6 or higher at wr and not really much separation between them. The high is 6.2 (Fuller & Treadwell) followed by 6.1 Doctson & 6.0 Coleman. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:wr

No superstars here at all in terms of projection. For a high benchmark to keep in your head for comparison, AJ Green projected out at 8.62! http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/a.j.-green?id=2495450 He would possibly be #1 overall pick if he were coming out this year. The next closest player grade wise to him is a 7.2. That's a big drop in talent.

All we can talk about during the draft is projection, so for the absolute BEST wr in this draft class to be at only a 6.2 and there are only 4 guys in the 6s means the class is awful. Obviously projections can be wrong, but the norm is that they are typically pretty accurate. The wrs this draft class are okay to poor.

Homestly, the only position group this draft that is hella strong is the Dline. If the Bengals took 3 Dlimeman I wouldn't care. There are 16 guys ranked 6 or higher. That's insane!
I pretty much agree with everything you've stated for the most part and understand where you're coming from but there are several WR's that could easily fill the shoes of the teams departed 3rd and 5th RD WR's.

D-line is hella strong in this draft as you mentioned and that's a good thing for Cincy. Regardless of that fact the team is thin at WR and will most certainly need to grab one or two. It is what it is. 

You've already mentioned 4 WR's so there's that now add; M.Thomas,S.Shepard,T.Boyd,L.Carroo,B.Miller,K.Lawler,C.Brown,K.Listenbee,K.Garrett, and a couple of others. Any of which could help this team imho.

We're not looking for a #1 WR which would be a totally different thing.

RE: Who do you take? WR - StLucieBengal - 04-24-2016

Will Thomas fall to our second round choice?

I know we don't need a #1. But I would like a big WR. Fuller and Coleman are so little.

RE: Who do you take? WR - bengalsturntup5532 - 04-24-2016

Doctson and listenbee for sure

(04-24-2016, 08:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I pretty much agree with everything you've stated for the most part and understand where you're coming from but there are several WR's that could easily fill the shoes of the teams departed 3rd and 5th RD WR's.

D-line is hella strong in this draft as you mentioned and that's a good thing for Cincy. Regardless of that fact the team is thin at WR and will most certainly need to grab one or two. It is what it is. 

You've already mentioned 4 WR's so there's that now add; M.Thomas,S.Shepard,T.Boyd,L.Carroo,B.Miller,K.Lawler,C.Brown,K.Listenbee,K.Garrett, and a couple of others. Any of which could help this team imho.

We're not looking for a #1 WR which would be a totally different thing.

Exactly right!

I think a lot of casual draft followers will see a projected 1st round wr and think that because he was taken in the first that he must be as good as first rounders in any other draft. Where as I am kind of like... uh, no way, guys. These guys are more like 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders in some drafts. So why take one in the first?

If there's elite talent on the board at another spot I would take that over a so-so WR prospect just because the draft is down. If the right guy is there, sure, I guess. If he isn't, just don't reach! The Thomas kid from OSU could be PERFECT for what the Bengals like if he is there in the 2nd. He's considered a bit of a slow learner, which is fine because he won't play much this year anyway.

(04-24-2016, 09:09 PM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Doctson and listenbee for sure

The Doctson kid just doesn't do much for me I guess.

Watching him, he jumps for a lot of balls even when he doesn't have to. It's weird.

Plus, if I remember correctly, he kind of killed the weaker teams and didn't do so hot against good ones. The BIG12 is WEAK. I mean crappy. So, those guys putting up big numbers isn't too exciting. Same for the Coleman kid, but I can see him as a big upgrade in the return game so I kind of look at him as the only WR in the draft who will contribute right away somewhere. No way any of these guys are better than LaFell right off the bat when you add up his experience and production. None of them are Randy Moss, AJ Green, or Anquan Boldin. Heck, the Treadwell kid is said to be Bolden like, only without the hands   Shocked . Tha'ts how dodgy this WR group is.

(04-24-2016, 08:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Will Thomas fall to our second round choice?  

I know we don't need a #1.   But I would like a big WR.   Fuller and Coleman are so little.

This guy is the most interesting to me.

I think if not Coleman in the 1st Thomas in the 2nd would be my perfect scenarios if the Bengals HAVE to take a WR early.

(04-24-2016, 09:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Doctson kid just doesn't do much for me I guess.

Watching him, he jumps for a lot of balls even when he doesn't have to. It's weird.

Plus, if I remember correctly, he kind of killed the weaker teams and didn't do so hot against good ones. The BIG12 is WEAK. I mean crappy. So, those guys putting up big numbers isn't too exciting. Same for the Coleman kid, but I can see him as a big upgrade in the return game so I kind of look at him as the only WR in the draft who will contribute right away somewhere. No way any of these guys are better than LaFell right off the bat when you add up his experience and production. None of them are Randy Moss, AJ Green, or Anquan Boldin. Heck, the Treadwell kid is said to be Bolden like, only without the hands   Shocked . Tha'ts how dodgy this WR group is.

(04-24-2016, 09:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Doctson kid just doesn't do much for me I guess.

Well I really disagree,I think he's the best wr in the draft,he does jump a lot,but I see that as a good thing,he plucks the ball out the air,has great size for wr with strength and hands,you might be right about the competition, but lets not forget it takes a team to beat good teams,and he didn't have a good qb.there's good college teams like lsu and alabama who barely score vs good defenses. I think doctson would also push green to actuallygoing back to plucking the ball out of the air like his rookie year,now green let's it come to him. But I think that's a pipe dream.I don't see him falling to us,so I'm hoping on Coleman,which almost is like Steve Smith,I can see him catching a lot of screens and slants turning them into long gains.if he's not there Idk I guess take Fuller or Thomas, or wait and try to get Boyd,but trying to get Boyd would be risky,we might end up with none of the top ones.

RE: Who do you take? WR - coachmcneil71 - 04-24-2016

Actually Treadwell's hands are very good and he reminds me very much of Boldin. Go watch some of his 2015 highlight reel. The hands are there. My concern with Tread is the same as your's is with Doctson. 

His best games last season were against Memphis (who's D was giving up nearly 6 yards PER play),Ok St (Big 12/no D), and New Mexico State I believe it was. Against Bama and LSU (the best two D's he faced) and they both kept him under 100 yards. 

He did get Cy Jones once though. I do think that Boldin is an appropriate comparison for him.

RE: Who do you take? WR - BobJones4980 - 04-24-2016

So the last week or so I have been watching a ton of the mid to late round WR's trying to find someone I liked, usual guys like Peake, M. Mitchell and maybe even Caroo but one guy really stood out for me that actually reminded me a bit of Marvin Jones and that was :

Robby Anderson WR Temple - 6'3 190 pounds and ran a 4.34 40 at his pro day. Ran a lot of different routes at Temple, has great leaping ability to high point passes, makes some great adjustments to make the tough catches, can make some unreal catches whether that be 1 handed or using his quick hands to snatch the ball out of the air over a DB. You can watch his game where he went up against that Houston Defense that included a first round CB in William Jackson and came out of that game with 150 Yards and a TD and even got behind Jackson for a deep pass at one point. Didn't really have the best QB but still put up 939 Yards and 7 TD's in 2015.

Here he is getting by Jackson

Great One handed play

Clearly we need to take someone early but if we double dip I would love this guy in 4-6.

RE: Who do you take? WR - Lawless_1 - 04-24-2016

Keyarris Garrett is the mid-round guy I love.

RE: Who do you take? WR - Hoofhearted - 04-25-2016

(04-24-2016, 11:36 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: So the last week or so I have been watching a ton of the mid to late round WR's trying to find someone I liked, usual guys like Peake, M. Mitchell and maybe even Caroo but one guy really stood out for me that actually reminded me a bit of Marvin Jones and that was :

Robby Anderson WR Temple - 6'3 190 pounds and ran a 4.34 40 at his pro day. Ran a lot of different routes at Temple, has great leaping ability to high point passes, makes some great adjustments to make the tough catches, can make some unreal catches whether that be 1 handed or using his quick hands to snatch the ball out of the air over a DB. You can watch his game where he went up against that Houston Defense that included a first round CB in William Jackson and came out of that game with 150 Yards and a TD and even got behind Jackson for a deep pass at one point. Didn't really have the best QB but still put up 939 Yards and 7 TD's in 2015.

Great One handed play

Clearly we need to take someone early but if we double dip I would love this guy in 4-6.

The Bengals already have there eye on him. 

RE: Who do you take? WR - Shake n Blake - 04-25-2016

The more I learn about this draft class, the more ok I am with grabbing a WR at 24 and then going DT in round 2.

Sounds like a weak class at WR and strong at DT. I really like the DT out of OSU (and no, I'm not an OSU fan) and word is that he could be available to us in round 2 which would be a pretty good steal IMO. So give me Coleman/Fuller and Washington in the first 2 rounds and I'd be happy through the rest of the draft.\

Fwiw, I do think people need to wrap their heads around the thought of Brandon Lafell starting in '16. He's probably going to be our #3 target this year no matter who we draft.

RE: Who do you take? WR - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-25-2016

(04-24-2016, 11:36 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: So the last week or so I have been watching a ton of the mid to late round WR's trying to find someone I liked, usual guys like Peake, M. Mitchell and maybe even Caroo but one guy really stood out for me that actually reminded me a bit of Marvin Jones and that was :

Great One handed play

Good one Bob, thanks for the info on Anderson, never heard of him until now.

RE: Who do you take? WR - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-25-2016

(04-23-2016, 07:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes Big fan of Garret, could easily be picked in the 3rd and he is very under rated. Would probably make it to the 4th, but I wouldn't risk it.

Yeah, take Garrett in the 3rd baby. This guy will be good barring injuries. With his size along with
AJ and Eifert those are some big damn redzone targets.

RE: Who do you take? WR - fortyyearfan - 04-25-2016

(04-07-2016, 05:37 PM)TKUHL Wrote: So you guy value Doctson over Treadwell? or is this with the assumption Treadwell will be gone when we pick.

Doctson and then Keyarris Garrett from Tulsa 6ft3in220lbs and fast,tough and catches everything and our coaches like him.

RE: Who do you take? WR - Essex Johnson - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 11:23 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The more I learn about this draft class, the more ok I am with grabbing a WR at 24 and then going DT in round 2.

Sounds like a weak class at WR and strong at DT. I really like the DT out of OSU (and no, I'm not an OSU fan) and word is that he could be available to us in round 2 which would be a pretty good steal IMO. So give me Coleman/Fuller and Washington in the first 2 rounds and I'd be happy through the rest of the draft.\

Fwiw, I do think people need to wrap their heads around the thought of Brandon Lafell starting in '16. He's probably going to be our #3 target this year no matter who we draft.

I think the opposite.. since it is a weak WR class.. I don;t think the Bengals will reach much at WR.. they might have two WR's they target in 1st round and maybe 5 Dline.. if those couple WRs are gone, i think they will go with BPA. and pick a def linemen

RE: Who do you take? WR - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-26-2016

(04-25-2016, 04:19 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Doctson and then Keyarris Garrett from Tulsa 6ft3in220lbs and fast,tough and catches everything and our coaches like him.

Garrett looks taller than 6'3" watching his highlights, dude looks huge.

RE: Who do you take? WR - RCBengalsFan - 04-26-2016

Treadwell hands down. I'd consider Coleman though just because of the diversity he'd bring to our receiving corps