Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries (/Thread-Trump-attacks-protections-for-immigrants-from-%E2%80%98s-hole%E2%80%99-countries)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - bfine32 - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 12:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Saying that you don't want people from "shithole countries" but rather Norway does disparage those citizens. You're saying they're less desirable or worthy than Norwegians. The comment was made within the context of rejecting the citizens of those nations. 

He asked a question in closed door session. He asked the question, did Durbin share his answer to the question or just feign indignation and reported him? 

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - GMDino - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 11:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He asked a question in closed door session. He asked the question, did Durbin share his answer to the question or just feign indignation and reported him? 

This is right out of Trump's playbook:  Blame the leaker and try to obfuscate what they leaked.

If the POTUS didn't say what he said all he had to do was say what he DID say.  He can't because he'd be lying.  Again.

Don't want people to say you are a crappy person who says awful thing then don't be a crappy person who says awful things instead of blaming the people who repeat the crappy things you say.

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - bfine32 - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 11:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: This is right out of Trump's playbook:  Blame the leaker and try to obfuscate what they leaked.

If the POTUS didn't say what he said all he had to do was say what he DID say.  He can't because he'd be lying.  Again.

Don't want people to say you are a crappy person who says awful thing then don't be a crappy person who says awful things instead of blaming the people who repeat the crappy things you say.

I know nothing of Trump's playbook; however, you can call it whatever you want, but there's only one reason Durbin mentioned what was said in that meeting and it had nothing to with protecting those under DACA. I have voiced my objection with Durbin's tactic from the beginning. Too many folks try to excuse their bad behavior because others are behaving badly.

I freely admit that Trump is not PC; however, it doesn't make him a crappy person. Well at least not to everyone

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - hollodero - 01-24-2018

(01-23-2018, 11:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know nothing of Trump's playbook; however, you can call it whatever you want, but there's only one reason Durbin mentioned what was said in that meeting and it had nothing to with protecting those under DACA. I have voiced my objection with Durbin's tactic from the beginning. Too many folks try to excuse their bad behavior because others are behaving badly.

Maybe he was just honestly appalled. like that other source that also existed if I remember correctly.

Or it was tactics. Then I might understand it too. Show the Republicans who they are faced with, whose lead they want to follow. As long as in their view their initiative has to come from Trump, there is no DACA deal, even I can see that from far away. Hence the only way is to make a deal in Congress without much WH involvement and face Trump with a bill to sign. To me, that makes sense.
As for objecting the tactics if it were just tactics, isn't it at least equally objectionable to then lie about the comments on behalf of a lieing president, like Tom Cotton and whoever else did. Or like Trump of course.
A woman called Kirstjen Nielsen of all names then claims she wouldn't know if Norwegians were predominantly white. No way Durbin acted as ridiculous as that.

(01-23-2018, 11:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I freely admit that Trump is not PC; however, it doesn't make him a crappy person. Well at least not to everyone

This isn't about PC. A false flag is what you call that I guess.
As for Trump being crappy, how often can someone get the benefit of the doubt. What if he is.

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - fredtoast - 01-24-2018

(01-23-2018, 11:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I freely admit that Trump is not PC; however, it doesn't make him a crappy person. Well at least not to everyone

Agree.  The non-PC does not make him a crappy person.

It is the racism that makes him a crappy person. 

But clearly not to everyone.

If Trump just hates the country and not the people from the country then why is he opposed to the people from those countries coming here?  

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - GMDino - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 01:06 AM)hollodero Wrote: Maybe he was just honestly appalled. like that other source that also existed if I remember correctly.

Or it was tactics. Then I might understand it too. Show the Republicans who they are faced with, whose lead they want to follow.  As long as in their view their initiative has to come from Trump, there is no DACA deal, even I can see that from far away. Hence the only way is to make a deal in Congress without much WH involvement and face Trump with a bill to sign. To me, that makes sense.
As for objecting the tactics if it were just tactics, isn't it at least equally objectionable to then lie about the comments on behalf of a lieing president, like Tom Cotton and whoever else did. Or like Trump of course.
A woman called Kirstjen Nielsen of all names then claims she wouldn't know if Norwegians were predominantly white. No way Durbin acted as ridiculous as that.

This isn't about PC. A false flag is what you call that I guess.
As for Trump being crappy, how often can someone get the benefit of the doubt. What if he is.

Ain't it a bytch when someone tells the truth about somebody?  How fair is that?!?!

If only Durbin read Trump's playbook and just made stuff up with no facts to support it.

Much better and much less "PC".

But the right wing noise machine has to spin it that it's not what the President SAID it's that someone REPEATED it.  Such a joke.

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - fredtoast - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 09:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: Ain't it a bytch when someone tells the truth about somebody?  How fair is that?!?!

If only Durbin read Trump's playbook and just made stuff up with no facts to support it.

Much better and much less "PC".

But the right wing noise machine has to spin it that it's not what the President SAID it's that someone REPEATED it.  Such a joke.

Same old same old.

Rememeber when they all said it was okay to brag about sexual assault as long as it was in a locker room?

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - BmorePat87 - 01-24-2018

(01-23-2018, 11:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He asked a question in closed door session. He asked the question, did Durbin share his answer to the question or just feign indignation and reported him? 

That's a question for Dick Durbin.

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - bfine32 - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 09:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Agree.  The non-PC does not make him a crappy person.

It is the racism that makes him a crappy person. 

But clearly not to everyone.

If Trump just hates the country and not the people from the country then why is he opposed to the people from those countries coming here?  

Racism is in the eye of the beholder.

If someone from Germany called America a narcissistic, racist country because of their leadership have they slurred you?  

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - bfine32 - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 10:21 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: That's a question for Dick Durbin.

And sadly one he did not share publically; simply reported on the "racism' in the meeting. If folks in the meeting are to be believed Durbin did not object to the language during the meeting. Most likely why some said "trump said it' and others said "they cannot recall"; no big deal was made of it and most in attendance understood the message more so than focusing on the "got cha' words.

(01-24-2018, 02:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Racism is in the eye of the beholder.

If someone from Germany called America a narcissistic, racist country because of their leadership have they slurred you?  

As long as he kept it about the leaders that would be okay.  But if he made a blanket statement about all US citizens, like say, for example "I don't want any of those US citizens in my country instead I prefer people from non-racist countries." then I would be offended.

You have to know the context to understand the meaning.

(01-24-2018, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And sadly one he did not share publically; simply reported on the "racism' in the meeting. If folks in the meeting are to be believed Durbin did not object to the language during the meeting. Most likely why some said "trump said it' and others said "they cannot recall"; no big deal was made of it and most in attendance understood the message more so than focusing on the "got cha' words.

So apparently now racist comments are defined by how much people protest about the them?

So if no one in a Klan meeting complains about any racists comments then those comments are not really racist?

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - BmorePat87 - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And sadly one he did not share publically; simply reported on the "racism' in the meeting. If folks in the meeting are to be believed Durbin did not object to the language during the meeting. Most likely why some said "trump said it' and others said "they cannot recall"; no big deal was made of it and most in attendance understood the message more so than focusing on the "got cha' words.

Given the fact that immigration has caused one shutdown and may very well cause another in less than a month, the fact that the President's response to bipartisan proposals was to deride an entire continent and its inhabitants is of public concern. I don't know if I'd simply write them off as "gotcha words" when they represent the fact that an advisor with fringe beliefs and ties to the leader of the white supremacist movement in the US is the person seemingly guiding the conversation on our immigration policy.

RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - GMDino - 01-24-2018

I'm sure the great negotiator is really helping.   Mellow

(01-24-2018, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So apparently now racist comments are defined by how much people protest about the them?

So if no one in a Klan meeting complains about any racists comments then those comments are not really racist?

"Why do we have so many immigrants coming from shithole countries?" Now that question is one in which the listener must determine whether it is a racist comment or not.

I have no idea how you jumped all the way to a Klan rally, but you should have thrown in a Jim Crowe or Rosa Parks that probably would have made your point stronger

(01-24-2018, 02:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Given the fact that immigration has caused one shutdown and may very well cause another in less than a month, the fact that the President's response to bipartisan proposals was to deride an entire continent and its inhabitants is of public concern. I don't know if I'd simply write them off as "gotcha words" when they represent the fact that an advisor with fringe beliefs and ties to the leader of the white supremacist movement in the US is the person seemingly guiding the conversation on our immigration policy.

Of course you wouldn't write off the comments; you'd search for the racial undertones.

(01-24-2018, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As long as he kept it about the leaders that would be okay.  But if he made a blanket statement about all US citizens, like say, for example "I don't want any of those US citizens in my country instead I prefer people from non-racist countries." then I would be offended.

You have to know the context to understand the meaning.

Well according to Durbin he simply referred to the country as shitholes.

The actual quote changes, but his most quoted is "Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?" the president said in the Thursday afternoon Oval Office meeting with a handful of members of the House and Senate. "We should bring in more people from places like Norway," he added.

Of course you have to know the context to understand the meaning, but believe it or not one's preconceived notions can influence what they infer.

(01-24-2018, 04:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The actual quote changes, but his most quoted is "Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?" the president said in the Thursday afternoon Oval Office meeting with a handful of members of the House and Senate. "We should bring in more people from places like Norway," he added.

Right.  This is my exactly my point in answering your question.  Trump never said anything about not letting in the leaders of these shithole countries. Instead he claimed that all citizens from those shithole countries are worse than the people from countries like Norway.

(01-24-2018, 04:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course you have to know the context to understand the meaning, but believe it or not one's preconceived notions can influence what they infer.

And as the judge often tells my clients "Your bad record hurts you".

The fact that Trump has made repeated racist statements in the past just reinforces the conclusion that he is being racists when he calls "black" countries "shitholes" and complains about any citizens from those countries coming to the US instead of people from a 'white" country like Norway.

(01-24-2018, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  This is my exactly my point in answering your question.  Trump never said anything about not letting in the leaders of these shithole countries. Instead he claimed that all citizens from those shithole countries are worse than the people from countries like Norway.

You can see it the way you want and I'd expect you to see it no differently than you do. Matter of fact you provide me with a list of names in this forum and I'll tell you how they view them.

So if Merckle said "Why are we letting all those people from narcissistic, racist countries, instead of more liberal countries such as Holland?" She has talked badly about you and all citizens of the US?

I see it to be quite the reach; just as I do many other 'racist' comments attributed to Trump.