Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries
Very presidential.  Even for the most modern, of modern presidential presidents.   Mellow

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-attacks-protections-for-immigrants-from-shithole-countries-in-oval-office-meeting/2018/01/11/bfc0725c-f711-11e7-91af-31ac729add94_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.699a1b9ce479

Quote:President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they floated restoring protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from ****hole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met Wednesday.

The comments left lawmakers taken aback, according to people familiar with their reactions. Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) proposed cutting the visa lottery program by 50 percent and prioritizing countries already in the system, a White House official said.

A White House spokesman defended Trump’s position on immigration without directly addressing Trump’s remarks.

“Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people,” spokesman Raj Shah said in a statement issued after The Washington Post first reported Trump’s remarks. “. . .Like other nations that have merit-based immigration, President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation.”

Outlining a potential bipartisan deal, the lawmakers discussed restoring protections for countries that have been removed from the temporary protected status program while adding $1.5 billion for a border wall and making changes to the visa lottery system.

The administration announced this week that it was removing the protection for citizens of El Salvador.
Trump had seemed amenable to a deal earlier in the day during phone calls, aides said, but shifted his position in the meeting and did not seem interested.

Graham and Durbin thought they would be meeting with Trump alone and were surprised to find immigration hard-liners such as Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) and Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) at the meeting. The meeting was impromptu and came after phone calls Thursday morning, Capitol Hill aides said.

After the meeting, Marc Short, Trump’s legislative aide, said the White House was nowhere near a bipartisan deal on immigration.

“We still think we can get there,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said at the daily White House news briefing.

Now I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking this is "fake news"!  Why doesn't someone just ASK the WH what the POTUS said and end this nonsense!

Okay....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/us/politics/trump-shithole-countries.html

Quote:In a written statement on Thursday, Raj Shah, the White House deputy press secretary, did not deny the account or directly address Mr. Trump’s comments during the meeting.

“Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people,” Mr. Shah said. “Like other nations that have merit-based immigration, President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation.”

So much winning...

Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Thats why the evangelicals love him.

Almost verbatim what Jesus said about helping people from shithole countries.
Trump is an idiot but the mass exodus threat by liberal icon celebrities never mentioned a move to Haiti.

A lot of countries are shitholes. That doesn’t make the citizens OF shithole countries shitheads. The president will never change. Let’s just hope the earth keeps spinning until we can get a Patriot and a statesman in that office who transcends the party divisions.
(01-11-2018, 11:51 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Trump is an idiot but the mass exodus threat by liberal icon celebrities never mentioned a move to Haiti.

Yeah, there's a difference between not wanting to move somewhere and calling that country a shithole. And that the people there all have AIDS. And whatnot.

--- Republicans, anyone?
I see this as the moral failing of a whole party. Letting that person still speak without even contradiction, through insult after insult, blunder after blunder, idiocy after idiocy. Sure, more Norwegians, less brown people from shitholes like the one Obama came from, sure great genius with the genius agenda we're all so lucky to be part of. Now he tweets some lie about Feinstein. And a whole party pretends there's nothing to see. And still covers up for him wherever they possibly can. While the world is disgusted.

And republicans let this one pass as well, because of course they do. They cut taxes, but still not ties. At this point, Trump isn't on Trump, but on the GOP.

Oh why does the world just not love the US.

-- And who the heck is Adam Levine, who said on foxandfriends that "Trump is the greatest president our country has ever seen"? What Trump just retweeted, because of course, that's how the media should behave. But how can anyone say that without turning to ash at once?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
It’s a pretty blunt way that isn’t really nice of saying what we all already know. Third world countries are awful. Not everyone in there is terrible but everyone in that country has a role in making it terrible. Just as everyone in America has a role in what we are as a country. The best.

Willow said it best tonight.

[Image: 5_A870_E0_F_6648_40_D8_8583_91_F56_D563833.jpg][/url]
The reason why we get immigrants from Haiti and El Salvador and not Norway is because people emigrate to improve their quality of life.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-12-2018, 02:30 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not everyone in there is terrible but everyone in that country has a role in making it terrible.   Just as everyone in America has a role in what we are as a country.   

The majority of people make no impact on the country they live in during their lives. If a guy lives his life going to work and not getting in trouble in America we are somehow making it great, but if you do the same thing in Haiti you are somehow making it a shithole? 

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-10-13/it-isn-t-just-asian-immigrants-who-excel-in-the-u-s-
My take on this is that I don't have a problem with calling a shithole a shithole, I just see that as a reason to help people more, not less.

Also, some clarification from Jake Tapper in this tweet thread.
(01-12-2018, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-10-13/it-isn-t-just-asian-immigrants-who-excel-in-the-u-s-

That’s misleading. It’s also easier to get degrees abroad. I can’t speak for the third worlders but most don’t have to take 2 years of nonsense classes before they start their program. More people here would have degrees as well if you took away the gen ed’s.
(01-12-2018, 12:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That’s misleading.   It’s also easier to get degrees abroad.

[Image: facts.jpg]

(01-12-2018, 12:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can’t speak for the third worlders

Then I'm sure you won't try...

(01-12-2018, 12:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: ...but most don’t have to take 2 years of nonsense classes before they start their program.    More people here would have degrees as well if you took away the gen ed’s.

...never mind.
(01-12-2018, 10:07 AM)Au165 Wrote: The majority of people make no impact on the country they live in during their lives. If a guy lives his life going to work and not getting in trouble in America we are somehow making it great, but if you do the same thing in Haiti you are somehow making it a shithole? 

They don’t make an impact on their communities?

Haiti is one. The reason we are covered up in Haitians is because of the Hurricane that the Clinton Foundation used to steal money. The temporary protected status should end for all those groups. There is 6-8 TPS and frankly they should all end. Most are and I imagine Trump will end the others once they come up.

One of my good friends is a haitian and he says it’s a terrible place to live . He is trying to get his children here and my wife and I help him with the paperwork. He says repeatedly that Haiti needs these TPS people back in Haiti who can help Haiti succeeed.

The TPS people need to be deported. It’s time to end this nonsense.
(01-12-2018, 11:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: My take on this is that I don't have a problem with calling a shithole a shithole, I just see that as a reason to help people more, not less.

Help yes. Help them in their own country.
(01-12-2018, 12:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They don’t make an impact on their communities?  

Haiti is one.   The reason we are covered up in Haitians is because of the Hurricane that the Clinton Foundation used to steal money.   The temporary protected status should end for all those groups.    There is 6-8 TPS and frankly they should all end.   Most are and I imagine Trump will end the others once they come up.  

One of my good friends is a haitian and he says it’s a terrible place to live .   He is trying to get his children here and my wife and I help him with  the paperwork.  He says repeatedly that Haiti needs these TPS people back in Haiti who can help Haiti succeeed.  

The TPS people need to be deported.   It’s time to end this nonsense.

Is it community or country? You said they had a role in making their country terrible. They can have impacts in their small communities however, they still have very little impact on the country as a whole. Now you could make a play that if everyone did it would make the country better, but that wasn't your original statement. Originally you created a conenction between every individual of a country and there ability apparently to make it good or bad through their OWN actions. We aren't calling communities "shitholes" we are calling whole countries "shitholes", so your friend above, what was his role in making Haiti a terrible place?
(01-12-2018, 11:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: My take on this is that I don't have a problem with calling a shithole a shithole, I just see that as a reason to help people more, not less.

since only the first tweet is included, I will go on:

Trump only referred to African nations as "shit holes". With regards to Haiti, he said we don't need more Haitians. 

Tapper states that this is about making sure what is reported is correct and that obviously not including Haiti in his comments isn't any less awful. 

some people thought we didn't need my ancestors from their rat hole country of Italy...

[Image: The_Unrestricted_Dumping-Ground._Louis_Dalrymple.jpg]

my other ancestors were considered violent and subhuman

[Image: WildBeast-hires.png]

(01-12-2018, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote:

Haiti isn't an African country though.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(01-12-2018, 02:24 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Haiti isn't an African country though.  Mellow

True.

Apparently the POTUS only said this about African countries.  He just thinks we have enough Haitians.  
Wow, Paul Ryan actually spoke out against the sentiment, albeit without speaking out against stable genius leader.

Btw. although one really shouldn't do that as president, it's not so much about calling poor countries shitholes, it's about saying people from that countries aren't welcome.

Ah, whatever.