Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
White Privilege? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: White Privilege? (/Thread-White-Privilege)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: White Privilege? - bfine32 - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 07:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Perhaps you should tell all of the experts in the filed who reviewed this study that you know more about it s validity without even looking at it than they do.

They could not multiple people into interview for the same job claiming to have the exact same birthdate, hometown, and class ranking in the same college class.  But that is why these studies are posted for peer review.  If any of the variables would change the results then the study would be panned.  But you have never read it so you have no clue.

Who the hell said it wasn't a valid study? Simply said scientific is a poor description. It is a social study. 

Let's see if we can nip this in the bud without bringing in the expert sociologist:  If there is ANY difference in the variable can it be considered a controlled variable? (Yes or no is all that is required; well I guess you could say I don't know)

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 07:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So I think all of the things you asked to be the same were.

Except for race AND criminal record. 2 independent variables at least.

RE: White Privilege? - BmorePat87 - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 07:29 PM)Beaker Wrote: Except for race AND criminal record. 2 independent variables at least.

Comparing a criminal white to a non criminal black tester, there are two IV. Not that I think two makes us throw this out, but ok let's ignore that match up.

So let's just compare the non criminal white to non criminal black and the criminal white to criminal black. It met all of your requirements (same age, same looks, same personality, trained the respond the same way, exact same resume). Even those numbers are significant. 

(07-11-2018, 07:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who the hell said it wasn't a valid study? 

I did. If you are trying to call it scientific.

But other than that, the study still illuminates some problems. Which means it was useful to some degree.

(07-11-2018, 07:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Comparing a criminal white to a non criminal black tester, there are two IV. Not that I think two makes us throw this out, but ok let's ignore that match up.

So let's just compare the non criminal white to non criminal black and the criminal white to criminal black. It met all of your requirements (same age, same looks, same personality, trained the respond the same way, exact same resume). Even those numbers are significant. 

I agree the study has use...I am just saying it does not follow correct scientific methodology and therefore cannot be referred to as any kind of scientific conclusion. Not to mention that it was only in Wisconsin, so to assume the rest of the nation behaves exactly the same way is also an invalid correlation.

(07-11-2018, 07:33 PM)Beaker Wrote: I did. If you are trying to call it scientific.

But other than that, the study still illuminates some problems. Which means it was useful to some degree.

Meh, I said who because Fred asserted I said it. I'm with you in that it is not a scientific study. 

I agree with the rest: It's why I asked what made the study scientific and Fred trotted out CV

(07-11-2018, 07:35 PM)Beaker Wrote: I agree the study has use...I am just saying it does not follow correct scientific methodology and therefore cannot be referred to as any kind of scientific conclusion.

What deviations from correct scientific methodology did you find when you read it?

Quote: Not to mention that it was only in Wisconsin, so to assume the rest of the nation behaves exactly the same way is also an invalid correlation.

This was addressed in the study. Did you forget that part?

(07-11-2018, 07:38 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What deviations from correct scientific methodology did you find when you read it?

More than one independent variable. That alone invalidates it as a scientific study. (Via the scientific method)

Let me sum up my point:

The study has use and illuminates some problems for further discussion/study.

The study cannot be considered scientific due to incorrect methodology.

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 07-11-2018

So basically I post a study that proves you guys wrong so you try to change the subject.

Lame.

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 07:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: More than one independent variable. That alone invalidates it as a scientific study. (Via the scientific method)

No it doesn't

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070823110409AAaQk6o

(07-11-2018, 07:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: More than one independent variable. That alone invalidates it as a scientific study. (Via the scientific method)

Let me sum up my point:

The study has use and illuminates some problems for further discussion/study.

The study cannot be considered scientific due to incorrect methodology.

As of a few minutes ago, you assumed some issues existed that didn't actually exist.

Did you even read it?

(07-11-2018, 07:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it doesn't

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070823110409AAaQk6o

Yahoo answers? For real. Did you feel kinda silly when you linked it? 

TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)

Testing only one variable at a time lets you analyze the results of your experiment to see how much a single change affected the result. If you're testing two variables at a time, you won't be able to tell which variable was responsible for the result.

Also, I haven't been able to find anything that says more than one independent variable means something isn't scientific.

(07-11-2018, 08:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Also, I haven't been able to find anything that says more than one independent variable means something isn't scientific.

For real. I've found dozens are sites that states that more that 1 IV dismisses the validity of a scientific study. just in the past couple minutes.  

Apparently NC State and the National Science Foundation are teaching their students that you CAN have multiple independent variables

https://labwrite.ncsu.edu/pl/variablesprelab.htm

(07-11-2018, 08:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For real. I've found dozens are sites that states that more that 1 IV dismisses the validity of a scientific study. just in the past couple minutes.  

I found something from NC State that is funded by the National Science Foundation stating that you can have multiple independent variables. I posted the link. 

but this silliness aside of dismissing studies before reading them... the study shows exactly what Fred said it does. You can dismiss your concerns about it using criminal status as a second independent variable and look at the difference in callbacks for black and white applicants that had the same exact resumes and training.

(07-11-2018, 08:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I found something from NC State that is funded by the National Science Foundation stating that you can have multiple independent variables. I posted the link. 
Yeah, that study stated that you must find the relationship for EACH IV if you have more than one. So thanks for that. 

You still haven't found anything that states multiple IVs negate the findings of a scientific study 

(07-11-2018, 08:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, that study stated that you must find the relationship for EACH IV if you have more than one. So thanks for that. 

Well the link wasn't a study, but the study that Fred referenced does find the relationship for each IV and then the relationships between the two.

You're welcome :)

Quote:You still haven't found anything that states multiple IVs negate the findings of a scientific study 

You're right. I still haven't found anything that states multiple independent variables negates the findings of a scientific study.

But you're the one claiming that, not me....

(07-11-2018, 08:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Well the link wasn't a study, but the study that Fred referenced does find the relationship for each IV and then the relationships between the two.

You're welcome :)

You're right. I still haven't found anything that states multiple independent variables negates the findings of a scientific study.

But you're the one claiming that, not me....

https://sciencing.com/should-only-test-one-variable-time-experiment-11414533.html

Quote:The scientific method defines a set of practices and conventions which will tend to create increasingly accurate theories about how the world works. Experiments carried out according to the scientific method seek the effect one variable has on another. Isolating the dependent variable is important because it clarifies the effects of the process on the independent variable under investigation.
Quote:TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
Testing only one variable at a time lets you analyze the results of your experiment to see how much a single change affected the result. If you're testing two variables at a time, you won't be able to tell which variable was responsible for the result.

But that's enough. I'm just gonna go with the assumption that if the discussion was simply the model for a scientific study we all would agree that there should be only 1 IV and if we have more each should be studied separately. You and Fred have spent the last couple pages refuting that simply because of the nature of this study.

Sorry for calling you link a study. I should have called it something as you did. Good luck in science class.