Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Center Austin Reiter in for visit - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Center Austin Reiter in for visit (/Thread-Center-Austin-Reiter-in-for-visit)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - fredtoast - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 03:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So.......any news on Austin Reiter?

I wonder if Austin Reiter thinks Andy Dalton was a better QB than Carson Palmer.

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - mikey6866 - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 03:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: With one of my employers, I actually declined a raise and told them to split it up amongst the group of people I had under me because a couple of them were ready to leave and it would have been difficult to find replacements and get them trained to their level in a reasonable amount of time.

I know people that have worked for struggling companies and stayed on despite not getting paid for weeks at a time because they loved the work and the people and the people they worked for.

Those are examples of loyalty.  Loyalty really doesn't exist in the NFL unless you're willing to retire rather than leave. Polamalu retiring to create desperately needed cap space for the Steelers, now that's loyalty.     

You're example is also kind of bad.  You're comparing a guy who had made $50+ million to a guy that hasn't even made $5 mil.

why would career earning matter at all?  A low ball offer is still a low ball offer.  Why would bates or whitworth or any other player take tens of millions less than what their worth for "loyalty".  Loyalty only enters the equation when your comparing 2 similar deals.  We didnt offer Whit in the same ball park.  It doesnt matter if i made 5 million or 500 million Im still not going to just take half of what im worth out of loyalty.  Nobody would.  If the bengals offer was within a few million of the rams whitworth would have been retiring as a bengal.  He left because he was potentially leaving tens of millions on table if he didnt take rams offer.  I dont care who you are, nobody is leaving that kind of money on the table for "loyalty".

Polamalu retired for a multitude of reasons and creating cap space wasnt one of them.  The steelers forced him into retirement basically because he didnt want to be released and play anywhere else.  Its pretty widely known Polamalu was very upset with how steelers handled it.  He didnt want to retire but he had no interest playing for anybody else and his choices were retire now or we are releasing you.  He chose to retire.  He certainly didnt care about the steelers salary cap when he did it.

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - bfine32 - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 03:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So.......any news on Austin Reiter?

He feels disrespected

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - jj22 - 07-26-2021

They haven't announced his visit which typically means it is still underway.

Jeff Ruby must not have been all that supportive of the signing.

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - Nicomo Cosca - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 04:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He feels disrespected

Why, did they take him to Longhorn instead of The Precinct?

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - rfaulk34 - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 03:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, that's the exact argument I made.  I think my original reply to him is a page or two back if you want to see how that developed.

He questioned how much money Whitworth needed, and basically insinuated he was greedy or selfish.  So I replied that it would be nice if he applied that same thinking to the family and their refusal to build an indoor facility.

Dude, don't worry. That indoor facility is coming. 

In about 5 years. 

(07-26-2021, 05:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dude, don't worry. That indoor facility is coming. 

In about 5 years. 

In Cincinnati?

(07-26-2021, 03:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: I have no problem with him deciding to leave for more money.  I will never hold that against anybody.  

My issue with the guy is how he conducted himself after he left. 

How so?

(07-26-2021, 05:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: In Cincinnati?

Yes.

If the team is still here...

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - Whatever - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 04:40 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: why would career earning matter at all?  A low ball offer is still a low ball offer.  Why would bates or whitworth or any other player take tens of millions less than what their worth for "loyalty".  Loyalty only enters the equation when your comparing 2 similar deals.  We didnt offer Whit in the same ball park.  It doesnt matter if i made 5 million or 500 million Im still not going to just take half of what im worth out of loyalty.  Nobody would.  If the bengals offer was within a few million of the rams whitworth would have been retiring as a bengal.  He left because he was potentially leaving tens of millions on table if he didnt take rams offer.  I dont care who you are, nobody is leaving that kind of money on the table for "loyalty".

Polamalu retired for a multitude of reasons and creating cap space wasnt one of them.  The steelers forced him into retirement basically because he didnt want to be released and play anywhere else.  Its pretty widely known Polamalu was very upset with how steelers handled it.  He didnt want to retire but he had no interest playing for anybody else and his choices were retire now or we are releasing you.  He chose to retire.  He certainly didnt care about the steelers salary cap when he did it.

Bates hasn't made set for life money yet.  Whit was long past that threshold when he left.

Your logic is one way to look at things, but that's not loyalty.  If you go to singles bars every Friday night, are you still loyal if you only hook up with chicks that are significantly hotter than your girl?  

The Steelers pressured Polamalu to retire because if he had been cut the acceleration of his bonus money would have eaten a ton of the cap savings.   He was well within his rights to tell them to cut him so he could sign elsewhere (he was worth a lot more than $0), but instead retired because he didn't want to play anywhere else.  He wasn't happy about it, but he was loyal to the Steelers.

(07-26-2021, 05:57 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Steelers pressured Polamalu to retire because if he had been cut the acceleration of his bonus money would have eaten a ton of the cap savings.   He was well within his rights to tell them to cut him so he could sign elsewhere (he was worth a lot more than $0), but instead retired because he didn't want to play anywhere else.  He wasn't happy about it, but he was loyal to the Steelers.

Tbf I don’t think Whit has any Head & Shoulders ad revenue coming in lol.

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - G man - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 03:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So.......any news on Austin Reiter?

Probably won’t hear anything until after the obligatory steak dinner

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - Wes Mantooth - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 06:26 PM)G man Wrote: Probably won’t hear anything until after the obligatory steak dinner

[Image: Old%20Country%20Buffet_1618965257.jpg?2L...1ET0R0Cplg]

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - BoomerFan - 07-26-2021

How high do you think the Bengals should we be willing to go on signing Austin Reiter to a contract? I'm guessing the team would be willing to do around $5 million and he would be looking for double that. On the other hand it is late in FA so if he wants a chance to play at all he really can't be that picky.

I know we have ~$20 million left in our cap, though we like to roll over $10 million if we can and save some for injury signings as well. The latter is the more important part of this equation.

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - bfine32 - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 07:11 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: How high do you think the Bengals should we be willing to go on signing Austin Reiter to a contract? I'm guessing the team would be willing to do around $5 million and he would be looking for double that. On the other hand it is late in FA so if he wants a chance to play at all he really can't be that picky.

I know we have ~$20 million left in our cap, though we like to roll over $10 million if we can and save some for injury signings as well. The latter is the more important part of this equation.

Pit just signed Trai Turner for $3Mil. The dude they signed in KC to replace Reiter signed for $990k. I think $5 Mil is a little high. $10 Mil puts him in Corey Linsey territory.

Of course not my money but I'd say $2.5-$3 Mil would be fair 

(07-26-2021, 07:11 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: How high do you think the Bengals should we be willing to go on signing Austin Reiter to a contract? I'm guessing the team would be willing to do around $5 million and he would be looking for double that. On the other hand it is late in FA so if he wants a chance to play at all he really can't be that picky.

10 mil would be nuts for Reiter. He should be somewhere close to what Hopkins gets (4-6?).

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - SunsetBengal - 07-26-2021

Hopefully about $12M of that goes to Jesse Bates, as a signing bonus on his contract extension.

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - ezekiel23 - 07-26-2021

Check what the Chiefs did for Patrick Mahomes in building him an OL.And check out what the Chargers did for Herbert.Herbert got possibly the best Center in the league.At least they should get this guy signed for Burrow.I think he deserves it.The Center is the QB of the OL.Reiter is a good Center.Not the best,but he’s an upgrade.That said,5 Mil.would be plenty for this guy.I believe they can get him signed for that on a 1 yr.deal.

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - Shake n Blake - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 06:26 PM)G man Wrote: Probably won’t hear anything until after the obligatory steak dinner

Wendy's dollar menu has steak now?

RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - ezekiel23 - 07-26-2021

If things go bad for the Bengals in trying to sign Reiter,I would give Nick Easton a call.Same age as Reiter.Plays Center and LG.He would be an upgrade as well.