Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
What would you like to happen? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: What would you like to happen? (/Thread-What-would-you-like-to-happen)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What would you like to happen? - Graphicguy - 01-03-2023

Playing the game, not playing the game, cancelling the game, making the players play the game…none of it helps Hamlin. That’s not the point. What both teams, and the fans, and the TV audience witnessed was a tragedy. Hopefully, he pulls through. Undoubtedly, his career as an NFL player is over.

There are many and varied reasons you don’t play/reschedule/continue this game. Not the least of which sending the message that this young man’s efforts and life matter…to his family, to his team, to the NFL. It does!

You don’t just minimize this by saying “too bad, so sad”….the NFL money machine needs to keep cranking. I don’t care how big this game is/was. I don’t care how much the teams, the NFL, the sports books, any of them lose. This isn’t about that. It’s about an entertainer that almost died (and may still). Stadium goes dark. This is the only way it should be.

It doesn’t matter how it affects standings, playoff rankings, etc. It’s about caring about another human being and showing we do care. It’s showing that his life means more than this game.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Sled21 - 01-03-2023

I don't know why you say his career is "undoubtedly over." He could well make a 100% recovery and be back on the field next year. It was a freak accident.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Science Friction - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:22 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I don't understand this.  How is creating a huge upheaval in the NFL at the end of the season going to help Hamlin.

I keep seeing people say "his life is more important".   

How does not playing games help him?
How does canceling the last week help him?

The best thing to do is move forward and hope for the best for Hamlin.

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but geez.

You don't sound like one. Not playing games helps the young man about as much as prayer meetings. In other words, ZERO.   Bad things happen in life. It's no one's fault. We can only hope that he recovers, just as I hope all the people recover from all the bad things that will happen to them today... and tomorrow... and the next day.

Bankers will go on banking,  teachers will go on teaching, politicians will go on lying. Bills and Bengals should resume running , catching, and kicking balls.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Anarumo_Savant - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bengals coaches are at Paycor preparing for Ravens game per update from Tony.

Who's Tony?

RE: What would you like to happen? - Mickeypoo - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:23 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There's no doubt that most employers treat their employees poorly and that's a problem. But things are just different when they're on a national stage. A corporation treating their employees with brutality or insensitivity is an isolated incident that can be denied or smoothed over if an individual employee complains. When that same insensitivity occurs on a national stage, you can't really hide it.

I guess the thing is that I don't consider it brutality or insensitivity.  

Per my example of a coworker, I find it reasonable to get the rest of the day and maybe the next.

Maybe there is something wrong with me.  I could have finished the game in that situation, and I am not trying to sound "cool" or "strong".  It's just the way God created me.  Shit happens and you move forward.  I've been that way my whole life.

I don't think you create a complete upheaval in week 18 and through the playoffs because one player out of 32 teams was seriously injured.  Just my (i'm sure very unpopular) take.  I do apologize for seeming insensitive, it's not my intention.  I'd rather post honestly than lie about how I feel.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Tomkat - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:35 PM)Science Friction Wrote: ....and kicking balls.

kicking footballs.... kicking footballs.

Very important to make that disctinction.

(01-03-2023, 02:26 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd like the game to pick up where it left off.  7-3, Bengals with the ball and marked at the spot where Higgins was down by contact.  

With that said, I don't know how they'd do this.  Buffalo and Cincinnati cannot be expected to play a game this week and then play another game just a couple of days later.  The only way this game can be played is if the NFL shifts the entire calendar.

IMO, the most logical answer that creates the least amount of chaos across all of the NFL is for the Bills to forfeit.  It also seems the most fair as the Bengals looked like they were on a mission.

RE: What would you like to happen? - samhain - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:23 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There's no doubt that most employers treat their employees poorly and that's a problem. But things are just different when they're on a national stage. A corporation treating their employees with brutality or insensitivity is an isolated incident that can be denied or smoothed over if an individual employee complains. When that same insensitivity occurs on a national stage, you can't really hide it.

Just a few months ago, a co-worker of mine was killed in an extremely horrific on-site accident.  I did not know him.  As word spread, the entire place, which consists of thousands of employees, was dismissed.  In the past, there have been other examples of deaths, all unrelated to work in the building.  Years ago, it was a running (distasteful) joke among use that if one of us were to die, we would undoubtedly be shoved aside quickly to maintain production.  

The latest incident was handled much differently in terms of communication and downtime.  Work definitely resumed relatively soon, but the pause was clear and deliberate, and unprecedented.  

Times have changed, and with he speed that information travels coupled with public sentiment on how employers treat their workers, these things are handled as gently and tactfully as possible.  

Play will resume just like work did. The dangers that go with any physical activity will still be very present.  

Even so, no employer or league in it's right mind or with a HR department worth it's salt will watch something like this happen without overt observation and acknowledgment of the tragedy that occurred.  

The season will resume soon, no doubt. It will not however, resume without sincere and empathetic discussion coupled with likely public countermeasures in place should something like this happen again.

Everyone gonna be okay with Bengals unfairly having to go to Buffalo in three weeks to play the Bills in the divisional round?

RE: What would you like to happen? - Big Boss - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:53 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: IMO, the most logical answer that creates the least amount of chaos across all of the NFL is for the Bills to forfeit.  It also seems the most fair as the Bengals looked like they were on a mission.

They didn't even finish one quarter of play.  Way too much game left to just declare the Bengals the winner.  

(01-03-2023, 02:48 PM)Tomkat Wrote: kicking footballs.... kicking footballs.

Very important to make that disctinction.

LOL. True. I started to include the FOOT.

(01-03-2023, 02:54 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Everyone gonna be okay with Bengals unfairly having to go to Buffalo in three weeks to play the Bills in the divisional round?

Is what it is.  

RE: What would you like to happen? - samhain - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:54 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Everyone gonna be okay with going to Buffalo in three weeks to play the Bills in the divisional round?

We're getting into territory we perhaps shouldn't, and I don't want your scenario to play out without a win or loss to justify it.  That said, I'm not afraid for this team to play anyone, anywhere.  It's not "fair", but it would be better than the asterisk that would be placed next to a Buffalo forfeit that may or may not impact a title run for the Bengals.  I don't want that evil on this team.  They've come too far for people to be able to hang that on them.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Sled21 - 01-03-2023

I think the league office needs to make a decision today. You have Bills fans who traveled to Cincinnati, who do not know whether to go back home or stick around for a day or two for the game. Just make a decision already.

(01-03-2023, 03:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think the league office needs to make a decision today. You have Bills fans who traveled to Cincinnati, who do not know whether to go back home or stick around for a day or two for the game. Just make a decision already.

Yep. Gotta decide today. And early today.

RE: What would you like to happen? - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 02:43 PM)Anarumo_Savant Wrote: Who's Tony?

Assuming he means Troy Vincent 

(01-03-2023, 02:55 PM)Big Boss Wrote: They didn't even finish one quarter of play.  Way too much game left to just declare the Bengals the winner.  

Bills player injured.  Bills quickly left. Bengals were winning and driving.  The Bills should forfeit.

I guess i'd be ok with a no contest if they agreed to play the Bengals/Bills game in Cincy if they both make it that far.  

Giving the Bills #2 is BS imo.  Especially with how I saw the Bengals playing.

What if the league stupidly calls this a no contest and then the Bills decide they cant play NE on Sun because of PTSD, does the league NO CONTEST that one as well. What if the Bills don't want to play anymore, period?

(01-03-2023, 03:06 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Bills player injured.  Bills quickly left. Bengals were winning and driving.  The Bills should forfeit.

I guess i'd be ok with a no contest if they agreed to play the Bengals/Bills game in Cincy if they both make it that far.  

On the flip side, the Bengals are then "gifted" the #2 seed and are perceived as a beneficiary to this tragedy.  You'd be good with those optics?

It's like someone said in another thread, if the Bengals make a deep run in the playoffs (hell, if they make and win a Super Bowl), you're always going to have people wanting to put an asterisk next to it.  From now to the end of time. If that's something you'd be at peace with, all the power to you. But this team has worked too hard to have any accomplishment diminished by semantics and "What ifs."

(01-03-2023, 03:06 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Bills player injured.  Bills quickly left. Bengals were winning and driving.  The Bills should forfeit.

That would mean no more NFL for me. EVER.