Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jonah Williams Requests Trade (/Thread-Jonah-Williams-Requests-Trade)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Luvnit2 - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Good point worth bringing up. I also liked the pick. I don't considered Jonah a failed Bengal, but he also didn't morph into a stud LT.

If he were a stud LT, we would never had signed Brown.

That does not mean a 26 year old LT won't be valued by other teams.

Key Money paid positions:

QB
CB
LT
Edge Rushers

12.6 million is 26th best paid LT in the NFL or bottom tier

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm also glad the team locked up Brown. I'd have disliked seeing the organization be stuck in a position to consider overpaying Jonah to ensure we have a starting LT. That's now a nonissue.

Even if we would of got a stud RT in FA or Darnell Wright at 28, we would of still been worrying about LT in the future. Before this.

We didn't kick the can down the road, we took care of the problem emphatically.

(03-17-2023, 01:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I really liked the pick when it was made. A lot. He just never lived up to it. Hopefully we can get decent value out of him on draft day. The extra 12.6 will help some too.

Same, I liked the Jonah pick a lot. He was the most complete Lineman in that entire class going into that Draft.

He hasn't been terrible either, he was damn good in 2021, just a year before last.

That is why he should have a lot of value, and he is young.

(03-17-2023, 01:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Good point worth bringing up. I also liked the pick. I don't considered Jonah a failed Bengal, but he also didn't morph into a stud LT.

True. Funny, I quoted Codemonkey and he immediately deleted his post, but too late. It is there for people to see LMAO!

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - THE PISTONS - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If he were a stud LT, we would never had signed Brown.

QB
CB
LT
Edge Rushers

No doubt. Some team will want him.

I feel like he'll eventually be on the Steelers.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yep cutting him would be the worst possible thing to do and cost $12.6 million against the cap.  Trading him however saves $12.6 million. If  he doesn't want to be a team player and show the team that he is also a versatile player on the O-line the Bengals should be lighting up the phones, or in Mike Brown's case fax machine, of other teams.   Tongue

Yes, CodeMonkey deleted his post right after I quoted him lol

(03-17-2023, 01:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know that he was ever a Top 10 LT. I feel like he missed a lot of games his 1st couple seasons.

Then, last year he was the best lineman on an absolutely horrible line.

Then, this year, he was below average...maybe because of the injury. Maybe, because that's who he is.

Okay, top 11 LT as Frank Booth here said, close enough.

(03-17-2023, 01:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think he finished 11th best LT in 2021 in terms of pff grades at LT

ThumbsUp

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - TecmoBengals - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If he were a stud LT, we would never had signed Brown.

QB
CB
LT
Edge Rushers

Well yeah, I think it's a given that's why Brown was signed. I wonder how Jonah and his agent concluded it was best to request a trade. If he moved to RT, started, and contributed to yet another winning Bengals team Jonah could have positioned himself to earn more. Maybe he wants to compete and earn the big bucks as a LT heading into FA.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - bk42 - 03-17-2023

Bummer - was excited to see where they ended up with the line. I pictured: Brown, LC, Karras, Cappa and Williams (after Collins returned from injury and assuming he was not cut)

Bengals may not get much in return in trading Williams but they likely free up more cap room for this season

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Which lineman have we drafted over the past 5-10 years...that actually developed into better players from their rookie year to years 3/4?

Our best lineman seem to be guys that came from other teams.

None since Boling, that I'm aware of, and he fits outside of the 5-10 year window. I don't think ANY of those guys EVER developed. Fischer is out of the league, Bodine sucked, Billy Price sucks, Ogbuehi sucks, Jonah showed promise, but it never fully materialized, verdict out on Carman and Volson, the others were projects at best to start with. It seems to be a talent evaluation issue more than development. Williams is the one that looked like a sure thing because of his work ethic and fundamentals, and he made strides in 20 and 21. Last year was a trainwreck. I think the knees and Volson were his biggest issue last season though, to be fair.

(03-17-2023, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt. Some team will want him.

I feel like he'll eventually be on the Steelers.

Yup, I already posted let's deal with the Steelers and Jets. Who else is currently needing a LT? It takes teams needing a LT before you can find a trade partner. You also have to eliminate rebuilding teams that don't want to invest in Jonah.

How did the Bears fair during FA so far? Do they need a LT for Fields?

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - TheCincinnatiKid - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:34 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: We are in a good spot with him tbh.

We play hard ball and get the deal we want or he stays and plays RT he can’t afford to have two shocking years in a row, he either plays well or we bench him effectively ending any chances he has of getting a big payday.

He would have been better off keeping his mouth shut playing out the year and just moving on, now we hold the cards to effectively tank his career.

Agree with this. 

Makes no sense for the Bengals to cut him, so we won't.

We'll either trade him for some return. Maybe slightly diminished just to get him moved. 

Or we don't get a reasonable offer, and Jonah has to decide to ride the pine, or put himself in the spotlight for FA next year.

As long as the relationship between JW and the Bengals isn't a burned bridges thing, then the Bengals hold the cards on this one. 

Worth bearing in mind that while the 'headline' makes it sound as if Jonah is stomping his feet around demanding this and that, it's entirely possible this was a very cordial request and if he has to stay in stripe next year, that he'd put good effort into it.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - casear2727 - 03-17-2023

Trade could come soon according to Rapp:

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He also had two dislocated kneecaps..... Yawn

So what you are saying is Jackson Carman should have replaced him long before he did? I agree!

(03-17-2023, 02:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Trade could come soon according to Rapp:

I actually think this is for the best. If he's unhappy and the Bengals feel comfortable then get some value for him and focus on winning with the current group.

RE: Jonah wants to be traded! - Oasis5055 - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 11:43 AM)Tomcat Wrote: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/03/bengals-lt-jonah-williams-requests-trade

Based on sacks allowed he was the 2nd worst left tackle in the entire league last year…he is proven injury prone and now coming off a significant injury..he has one year left and is asking for elite level tackle money..if a team gave us their best practice squad player for him it would be a gift for the bengals just to get rid of his salary they could sign the Philadelphia safety with that money and little extra

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Synric - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Trade could come soon according to Rapp:

Ian Rapoport said "Cincinnati is generally pretty reasonable" that is the nicest thing Ive ever heard a media guy say about the Bengals front office.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And he was playing next to a rookie...

No matter who you are playing beside you still have to block your man. Not blocking your man is why the sack generally is happening when it is attributed to you as a blocker.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - NotBigzo - 03-17-2023

Keep him.

We're not getting anything from him anyway and Collins is hurt.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - TheFan - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If the Bengals keep Williams and use him this year but lose him in free agency next year,  what kind of comp pick do we get next year?  If it's a 3rd why trade him for a 3rd round pick if we would get that anyway next year but also had Williams for another Super Bowl run this year.

If he's willing to switch and was all in I think it could be worth it. But him demanding a trade indicates he's not, to me. If he leaves there's no guarantee of a comp pick. It would be dependent on what moves we make - such as the Bates comp pick being negated by signing Brown. 

Trading him could give a 3rd round draft pick for this year plus free up money to make another big signing or get 2 decent players for this up coming year. 

There's also the concern that we have no idea if he would even good at LG or RT. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Bengalholic - 03-17-2023

Looking around the league, seems like maybe 3 teams that might be willing to trade for a LT:

Steelers - but their a division rival
Bears - they have Braxton Jones, but were interested in Orlando
Jets - it appears Becton could be moving to RT

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Emeritus - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 12:00 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: an average starting left tackle is very valuable

Tiger

Especially in a draft/market as it currently sits along with his age. I don't expect him to be moved until draft day or close to it when teams start to get desperate. If this team can net a 2nd round pick for this guy then you do it immediately!! My best guess is a 3rd as the floor.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Bengalbug - 03-17-2023

What about him and mixon for Derrick Henry and a pick?