Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Mixon contract restructure finalizing (/Thread-Mixon-contract-restructure-finalizing)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-18-2023

(07-18-2023, 09:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And replacing him with an experienced good running back like Ekeler it’s a wash. They won’t gain any money.

But, they could gain an experienced, good running back like you just admitted. Or they could replace him with a draft pick.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Soonerpeace - 07-18-2023

(07-18-2023, 10:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, they could gain an experienced, good running back like you just admitted. Or they could replace him with a draft pick.

They’ve made their move. He’s most likely here for 2 years like the world says. He came out good

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Soonerpeace - 07-18-2023

(07-18-2023, 10:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, they could gain an experienced, good running back like you just admitted. Or they could replace him with a draft pick.

They’ve made their move. He’s most likely here for 2 years like the world says.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Au165 - 07-18-2023

(07-18-2023, 10:38 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’ve made their move. He’s most likely here for 2 years like the world says.

The deal sure isn’t structured that way. He only has a 2.75 million dead cap hit next year if they cut him. I think it’s one year and we will see.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Soonerpeace - 07-19-2023

(07-18-2023, 11:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: The deal sure isn’t structured that way. He only has a 2.75 million dead cap hit next year if they cut him. I think it’s one year and we will see.

Well I said most likely and I think because that a 2.75 million dead cap plus signing a FA for 5 million doesn’t do much for them. And money is going to be at a premium and they didn’t take those kind of hits before. They for sure can draft a running back. But their needs are a moving target. Will they need to draft a Reader replacement? Will they need to draft a Higgins or Wilson replacement? Hopefully not on all of those. Maybe Chase Brown or Trayveon develop. Mixon has done the right thing regardless of his options. I think they’ve somewhat committed to him through his contract. We’ll see.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 07-19-2023

The OL should be better this year. If it is, and Burrow can actually take drops of more than 3 steps, lookout. The run game would also benefit. Mixon will look more serviceable with a better OL, and pass protection from the RB spot less important.

Paul Dehner The Athletic:

People might hear the word pay cut and paint Mixon as a contractual loser in this situation, but that’s far from the truth. Considering his age, entanglements with the law, a meh 2022 and dramatic cliff of the running back market, ending the day collecting at least $5.8 million this year while chasing a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him represents a win

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-19-2023

(07-19-2023, 01:50 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The OL should be better this year. If it is, and Burrow can actually take drops of more than 3 steps, lookout. The run game would also benefit. Mixon will look more serviceable with a better OL, and pass protection from the RB spot less important.

That is all very true. Burrow also is about the best QB in the league when teams try and blitz him. 

He makes Defenses pay big time when they have to blitz to try and get pressure.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - NUGDUKWE - 07-19-2023

(07-18-2023, 08:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Amazing that Barkley averaged a paltry 3.7 yards a carry in 2021. Oh and his OL was #30 by PFF. Amazing how Cincy was #28 in 2022 and Mixon had his worst season. Absolutely stunning how that works

I'm still a Mixon fan. I'm fine if he is our back for the next two seasons. I've defended Mixon quite a bit on here I know he's not a perfect back but I also think the oline and overall blocking/scheme are also at fault for the running games struggles. I was just throwing out a fun idea not really attacking Mixon. But having said all that Barkley is a back that can take any run or screen to the house. Which isn't really part of Mixons game but he can get large chunks just generally won't out run the defense.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Go Cards - 07-19-2023

(07-18-2023, 09:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

Says Mixon and Harris are swappable 

Would sure like to swap Harris' 66.5 pass blocking grade with Mixon's 34.8 grade.

Mixon will do fine behind this O-line as any RB probably would, but it's his lack of blocking that scares me because the Bengals pass a lot. 

(07-19-2023, 05:49 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm still a Mixon fan. I'm fine if he is our back for the next two seasons. I've defended Mixon quite a bit on here I know he's not a perfect back but I also think the oline and overall blocking/scheme are also at fault for the running games struggles. I was just throwing out a fun idea not really attacking Mixon. But having said all that Barkley is a back that can take any run or screen to the house. Which isn't really part of Mixons game but he can get large chunks just generally won't out run the defense.

Oh I’d take him over Mixon 365/24/7. Barkley is maybe #1

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Nepa - 07-19-2023

(07-19-2023, 06:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Says Mixon and Harris are swappable 

Would sure like to swap Harris' 66.5 pass blocking grade with Mixon's 34.8 grade.

Mixon will do fine behind this O-line as any RB probably would, but it's his lack of blocking that scares me because the Bengals pass a lot. 

Good observation. It was painful to watch pressure on Burrow when Mixon failed in his pass blocking. The poster of those stats comparing Harris (66.5 pass blocking) and Mixon (34.8) should have highlighted that difference as you have.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-19-2023

(07-19-2023, 09:10 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well I said most likely and I think because that a 2.75 million dead cap plus signing a FA for 5 million doesn’t do much for them. And money is going to be at a premium and they didn’t take those kind of hits before. They for sure can draft a running back. But their needs are a moving target. Will they need to draft a Reader replacement? Will they need to draft a Higgins or Wilson replacement? Hopefully not on all of those. Maybe Chase Brown or Trayveon develop. Mixon has done the right thing regardless of his options. I think they’ve somewhat committed to him through his contract. We’ll see.

His performance didn’t live up to the last contract. This the restructure. It remains to be seen if his performance lives up to the new contract. If it doesn’t he is replaceable. Replacing him may be more related to performance than cap savings. And not tipping off the opposing defense what the offense will do when they substitute him out of the game for a RB who can pass block.

On the subject of former Sooners, Perrion Winfrey was released for an off the field incident that sounds familiar.

Edited to add: Breece Hall’s cap hit was $1.6M.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-19-2023

(07-19-2023, 02:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Paul Dehner The Athletic:

People might hear the word pay cut and paint Mixon as a contractual loser in this situation, but that’s far from the truth. Considering his age, entanglements with the law, a meh 2022 and dramatic cliff of the running back market, ending the day collecting at least $5.8 million this year while chasing a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him represents a win

In other words, Mixon is lucky it was only a 40% pay cut everything considered. Hopefully, this will light a fire under him.

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - bfine32 - 07-20-2023

(07-19-2023, 11:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: His performance didn’t live up to the last contract. This the restructure. It remains to be seen if his performance lives up to the new contract. If it doesn’t he is replaceable. Replacing him may be more related to performance than cap savings. And not tipping off the opposing defense what the offense will do when they substitute him out of the game for a RB who can pass block.

On the subject of former Sooners, Perrion Winfrey was released for an off the field incident that sounds familiar.

Man, many around here were pissed when we took Zac Carter over Winfrey.

Pulling a gun on a woman was it? Must be a class in OU

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Go Cards - 07-20-2023

(07-19-2023, 11:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: His performance didn’t live up to the last contract. This the restructure. It remains to be seen if his performance lives up to the new contract. If it doesn’t he is replaceable. Replacing him may be more related to performance than cap savings. And not tipping off the opposing defense what the offense will do when they substitute him out of the game for a RB who can pass block.

It was also suspected early in the season that he was tipping plays off when on the field as well. Seems he was placing his hands on his knees pre-snap before pass plays and not on run plays, or vice versa. Anyway it was corrected but apparently not all the his problems came from inadequate O-line.  

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Soonerpeace - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 08:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: It was also suspected early in the season that he was tipping plays off when on the field as well. Seems he was placing his hands on his knees pre-snap before pass plays and not on run plays, or vice versa. Anyway it was corrected but apparently not all the his problems came from inadequate O-line.  

LOL just curious where was he placing them then? Trying to think lol

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - rfaulk34 - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 12:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LOL just curious where was he placing them then? Trying to think lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/comments/xs22oo/examples_of_mixons_tell_lean_for_run_upright_for/?onetap_auto=true

RE: Mixon contract restructure finalizing - Soonerpeace - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 08:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: It was also suspected early in the season that he was tipping plays off when on the field as well. Seems he was placing his hands on his knees pre-snap before pass plays and not on run plays, or vice versa. Anyway it was corrected but apparently not all the his problems came from inadequate O-line.  

(07-20-2023, 12:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/comments/xs22oo/examples_of_mixons_tell_lean_for_run_upright_for/?onetap_auto=true

I didn’t do a deep dive but watched the Steelers first game highlights. He did it several times but not always. I did notice Mixon’s one hand great catch for a huge gain and a big gain in the run game in the highlights. I’ll have to look deeper tonight. No telling.