Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term (/Thread-Report-Bengals-are-trying-to-sign-Tee-Higgins-long-term)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - bfine32 - 02-25-2024

(02-25-2024, 09:55 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Marvin Harrison projected by many to go in the top 5. To get someone to trade you are going to have to offer a hell of a lot more than swapping picks and Tee. The reason why I think trading Tee is not promising. We can’t get a good deal. KC struggled at WR this year. Their defense saved them this year.

(02-25-2024, 10:24 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: Why would anyone ever trade a top 5 pick, Marvin Harrison in this scenario, for Tee Higgins and 18. They’re trading a better (most likely) talent at dirt cheap pricing for 5 years, for a player that needs to sign a $100M contract.

Draft picks are the most important thing in the NFL, due to the cap. The only universal competitive advantage in the nfl is finding more all pro talents on rookie deals than your competition can find. I also believe trading picks for a player who is on a big deal or needs a big deal is the worst idea any franchise can make. You have to give up cap space and give up cheap talent (draft picks). Look at cheifs and dolphins. It didn’t work for the dolphins and they traded for the #1 receiver in the nfl. The cheifs still won that trade.
To be fair Cards suggested trading our 1st plus the PICK we get for trading Tee, not Tee. For instance, a Team in "win-now" mode may give up something. The Texans have the #23 pick. maybe they give that up for Tee. We then use those to trade with our buddy Callahan who is in build mode in TEN. Now #7 won't get us Harrison, but it does make Bowers a reality.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Cosmokramer - 02-25-2024

I’m all about keep your guys, but this is also a business and we want to be good for years, I don’t understand the keep Tee hype, he’s a good receiver, but he isn’t elite , so let’s not pay someone elite money to be WR2 who has large injury issue. Especially with those injuries being hamstring issues. I’d rather build an elite D. We currently have the pieces in place for a top5 offense even without Tee. I’m excited for Chase Brown. If we can get a good TE, and maybe one more piece to the OL our offense will be fantastic! I think we all seen how important Bell, Bates were

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Synric - 02-25-2024

(02-25-2024, 12:49 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I’m all about keep your guys, but this is also a business and we want to be good for years, I don’t understand the keep Tee hype, he’s a good receiver, but he isn’t elite ,  so let’s not pay someone elite money to be WR2 who has large injury issue. Especially with those injuries being hamstring issues.  I’d rather build an elite D. We currently have the pieces in place for a top5 offense even without Tee.  I’m excited for Chase Brown.  If we can get a good TE, and maybe one more piece to the OL our offense will be fantastic! I think we all seen how important Bell, Bates were

Is 22 to 25 million APY "elite" wr money? Is that what Chase will make? No. The top receivers will get 30+ million APY Tee Higgins, a tier down, will make low to mid 20s.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Soonerpeace - 02-25-2024

(02-25-2024, 12:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To be fair Cards suggested trading our 1st plus the PICK we get for trading Tee, not Tee. For instance, a Team in "win-now" mode may give up something. The Texans have the #23 pick. maybe they give that up for Tee. We then use those to trade with our buddy Callahan who is in build mode in TEN. Now #7 won't get us Harrison, but it does make Bowers a reality.

No doubt. Teams don’t usually part with top 10 picks unless it’s a windfall for them. We don’t like to trade anyway. I’ve been consistent. Depending on FA here’s my prediction. I think we go with a FA in free agency at DT. Then I think we go RT at 18. It’s a rich tackle draft. I expect we try to get a TE and I think Noah Fant also in FA. Then I think we look in the second round at RB.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 02-25-2024

Higgins is an elite WR2. List of #2's with 1,000 yards in 2023:

1. D. Smith, PHI: 1,066
2. Goodwin, TB: 1,024
3. Waddle, MIA: 1,014.

Tee has done it 2 of the last 3 years. Chase + Higgins makes our WR group & passing attack elite with Burrow.

Plus, it isn't like Jefferson is available.....yet.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Bengalion - 02-25-2024

The fact that they tagged him already means they were nowhere close to getting a deal done. I don’t see them trading him either so most likely we have him for this upcoming season and then he’s gone. I love Tee but if I am growing a team sometimes you have to make the hard choice of trading a player to provide room for building elsewhere. We need to meet the OL/DL needs just as much. If we can score a low draft pick I think we will be ok with having others fill WR.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Hammerstripes - 02-25-2024

(02-24-2024, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You get one year of Tee in return; plus a comp pick.

Why do folks want to get rid of our good players?

Ima bet Pittman is tagged very soon and he won't be traded either; because with the Cap bump and being able to keep a great starter based on last year's contract numbers is something no team should pass up. 

You're not even getting that.  The Bengals would probably sign enough quality guys to offset and decent comp pick (all of them are essentially 4th rounders or lower since they come after the 3rd round)

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Frank Booth - 02-25-2024

bengals arent getting jack for Tee. What happened back in 2012 was an anomaly. That was HUE JACKSON and the RAIDERS who pulled the trigger on that. And then Hue almost pulled the trigger on AJ Mcarron

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - sandwedge - 02-25-2024

(02-25-2024, 09:41 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Bengals are an attractive landing spot for players seeking a chance at a ring still. This is not the old Bengals thanks to Burrow, Chase, Zac, and Katie. Take the extra 30 added, the 20 that Tee would get, plus the money already having to spend and the Bengals could fix that D-line quickly with elite talent and get a RT as well and still have the extra draft picks from Tee left to spend. Think the young safeties and CB's as is would be fine (pun intended))with an elite D-line. 

Take extra draft pick received from Tee trade, couple it with the Bengals 18th pick and move up and get Harrison on a rookie deal.  

If Tee is willing to sign a 4 year $20 million deal then sign him, if not move on immediately. Don't let an often injured player break the bank because we all like him so much. 

KC moved on from Hill with not much consequence, going to 3 straight AFC Championship games and winning two SB's in 3 years.  So it obviously can be done with a good QB which is the most important ingredient to possess. 

This was brought up awhile back. Would you rather have Harrison Jr. on a rookie deal for 5 years or Tee at 25M for 3 or 4 years? Plus we would probably have to give up another 1st next year.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Nicomo Cosca - 02-25-2024

(02-25-2024, 12:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Is 22 to 25 million APY "elite" wr money? Is that what Chase will make? No. The top receivers will get 30+ million APY Tee Higgins, a tier down, will make low to mid 20s.

$25m is starting to get into elite WR money. It’s what Sun God just got, and what AJ Brown makes. Both are true #1’s, and much better than Tee.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - samhain - 02-25-2024

Mulgheta and Athlete's First will be the main problem here.

I think that the Bengals will offer something in the realm of "more than fair" for his caliber of player. Possibly even in the 20 or 22 per year range. I also don't doubt that Tee wants to be here.

Unfortunately, that won't get it done. His representation is about squeezing out every last dime and driving the market as high as possible. If there's a team willing to pay more and Mulgheta realizes this (he will), then there's zero chance he's not in Tee's ear discouraging from anything remotely close to a reasonable deal just to remain in Cincinnati.

Keeping Tee is justifiable from the perspective of keeping your best players in-house regardless of position. Are we going to replace the value he brings with the 22 mil that letting him go frees up? Quite possible, but this team always likes what it knows. When Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are on the field together, they are a tough team to stop. They were good enough to get to a SB with a historically awful line. The improbability of that is very high, but it happened. The other side of the is that they got a lot of help from the defense, which needs some help as well.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - THE PISTONS - 02-25-2024

(02-25-2024, 02:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: $25m is starting to get into elite WR money. It’s what Sun God just got, and what AJ Brown makes. Both are true #1’s, and much better than Tee.

I've heard $25-26 million for Tee. And guaranteed money factors in. Will with Chase too.

That said, Tee misses a lot of games. That has to factor in too.

They can tag him again next year for $26 million.

Why not just tag him next 2 years?

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - bfine32 - 02-25-2024

(02-25-2024, 02:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: $25m is starting to get into elite WR money. It’s what Sun God just got, and what AJ Brown makes. Both are true #1’s, and much better than Tee.

Of course that was before the Cap went up $30 Mil. AmonRa most likely just fired his agent with the terrible timing of his contract signing. Increased cap will increase salaries

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Bengalbug - 02-26-2024

(02-25-2024, 02:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: $25m is starting to get into elite WR money. It’s what Sun God just got, and what AJ Brown makes. Both are true #1’s, and much better than Tee.

Is the deal inked yet? Officially?

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Go Cards - 02-26-2024

(02-25-2024, 09:55 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Marvin Harrison projected by many to go in the top 5. To get someone to trade you are going to have to offer a hell of a lot more than swapping picks and Tee. The reason why I think trading Tee is not promising. We can’t get a good deal. KC struggled at WR this year. Their defense saved them this year.

KC built that defense by trading Hill did they not. There is more than one way to skin a cat and the salary cap makes teams find them or become irrelevant like where the Bills are headed imo. Plus KC does not have a WR the caliber of Chase, not even close.

Think the 18th pick bundled with Tee would bring more than you think though. Yet have been wrong before. 

Can any of the experts on trading draft picks chime in ?  Because I do know you're right and top 5 picks are pricey. Yet there are more WR's NFL ready other than Harrison and Bowers on the cheap would be alright as well. Bowers and Chase would be formidable or whoever the #2 WR in the draft is behind Harrison. 

On the rookie deal for 3-4 years is the deal because it gives the team extra money for the trenches in FA. RB's and WR's are easier found to plug in and play imo, especially for the Bengals scouts. 

Just believe if the Bengals can protect Burrow better and get more pressure on other teams QB then everything else will work out.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Go Cards - 02-26-2024

(02-25-2024, 10:24 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: Why would anyone ever trade a top 5 pick, Marvin Harrison in this scenario, for Tee Higgins and 18. They’re trading a better (most likely) talent at dirt cheap pricing for 5 years, for a player that needs to sign a $100M contract.

Draft picks are the most important thing in the NFL, due to the cap. The only universal competitive advantage in the nfl is finding more all pro talents on rookie deals than your competition can find. I also believe trading picks for a player who is on a big deal or needs a big deal is the worst idea any franchise can make. You have to give up cap space and give up cheap talent (draft picks). Look at cheifs and dolphins. It didn’t work for the dolphins and they traded for the #1 receiver in the nfl. The cheifs still won that trade.

Doesn't have to be for Tee and 18th. It could be the picks received from Tee and the 18th giving the other teams extra draft picks that you so eloquently point out the value of even.  
Maybe nobody would do it, but teams do trade out of top 5. So lets just say the Bengals receive a 23rd pick in  1st round for Tee. Not sure how far a team can move up giving a 18th and 23rd first round picks,  but pretty sure it is high enough to replace Tee Higgins. Especially factoring in the Bengals could then use Tee's money in the trenches as well and get both. 

Also as I pointed out, the other advantage is to control Tee's destination. Most likely he will not be tagged a 2nd year and will be able to sign with any team. Would make me sick to see him used as a one year rental where he may not go all in to stay healthy until his long term contract is signed and then sign with the Browns, Ravens, or worse yet the steelers like Boyd is about to do. 

Just don't get why so many are bought in to the one year rental plan to make a run for the ring over a long term plan to make runs at rings. Because those that talk about being weak at WR are going to still see that ,but just one year down the road with no return and no control over his destination. 

Would rather be proactive than reactive personally. yet do get that we all love having Tee even though it took Chase to come before the Bengals really started winning. 

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - TecmoBengals - 02-26-2024

(02-25-2024, 02:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: bengals arent getting jack for Tee. What happened back in 2012 was an anomaly. That was HUE JACKSON and the RAIDERS who pulled the trigger on that. And then Hue almost pulled the trigger on AJ Mcarron

I agree. At best the Bengals get a 2nd round pick if they trade Tee. They won't be seeing a Hill to Dolphins type of haul if they trade him. I think the Bengals remain conservative and make no attempt to trade Tee.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - jj22 - 02-26-2024

I'd hesitate counting on a 3rd round comp pick for Tee.... How did that work out when we lost Bates after being told by folks around here after he was tagged that we'd get a 3rd round pick for him?

Tag 2 years in a row may be a legit option. Tee's agent will hate that, but that is on him. It comes out probably less than what Tee would have got guaranteed in 3 years if he would have signed the extension last offseason.

Are we ready to debate rather it's the player or the Agent that runs things? People slammed me for saying it's the Agent, but now I see folks blaming Tee's agent? Why not blame Tee if the player is the deciding factor on taking an extension.

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - SunsetBengal - 02-26-2024

(02-26-2024, 10:18 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'd hesitate counting on a 3rd round comp pick for Tee.... How did that work out when we lost Bates after being told by folks around here after he was tagged that we'd get a 3rd round pick for him?

Tag 2 years in a row may be a legit option. Tee's agent will hate that, but that is on him. It comes out probably less than what Tee would have got guaranteed in 3 years if he would have signed the extension last offseason.

Are we ready to debate rather it's the player or the Agent that runs things? People slammed me for saying it's the Agent, but now I see folks blaming Tee's agent? Why not blame Tee if the player is the deciding factor on taking an extension.

Isn't that because the team signed OB Jr.?  

RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - jj22 - 02-26-2024

(02-26-2024, 10:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Isn't that because the team signed OB Jr.?  

yes, and people aren't taking that into account (Bengals signing FA's) when they say we'll at least get a 3rd for Tee. It's possible they'll get nothing for losing Tee. Draft pick wise. Just some food for thought for those counting on an extra 3rd at the very least.