Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
Media reports say the Bengals are expected to place the franchise tag on Higgins to keep him with the team in 2024. But I’ve been told the team wants him longer than just next season.Sources close to the Bengals tell me the team is trying to negotiate a contract extension with Higgins to lock him up for the next several years. If the team cannot agree to terms with the wideout by March 5, they’ll tag him but continue to negotiate with the hopes of signing him long term before the start of the season.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-insider-notes-davante-adams-tee-higgins-futures-jets-may-find-conversation-difficult-bengals-lay-gameplan#google_vignette
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Not the direction I would of gone but can't hate on still having an elite offense.

Having the extra 30 million in cap space helps rationalize this... but you can still spin it the other way.

Could really load up the trenches and or get a cheap WR/RB in the draft.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
If they can get him for a reasonable number (and spread the cap hit out) it’s a lot better than losing him for nothing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:04 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Not the direction I would of gone but can't hate on still having an elite offense.

Having the extra 30 million in cap space helps rationalize this... but you can still spin it the other way.

Could really load up the trenches and or get a cheap WR/RB in the draft.

You really can't replace Tee. Dude is elite and him and Ja'Marr feed off each other.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:22 PM)Trademark Wrote: You really can't replace Tee. Dude is elite and him and Ja'Marr feed off each other.

Tee is good but he's not elite. Jamar is elite. 

Some of you guys act like he's Randy Moss out there. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tee is good but he's not elite. Jamar is elite. 

I agree, I love the guy and am okay with us trying to extend him long term if it doesn't affect us upgrading the trenches, but Tee is banged up a 
lot and is not a great athlete or somethin'. He isn't really fast, he is just really good using his size, length and body to box Defenders out. I have 
seen quite a few WR's in this Draft that I think could be upgrades with the same size, Brian Thomas Jr for example who is faster with the same 
size who could be there at 18.

All I can say is if we can get a mid tier RT like Onwenu, Eluemunor, Trent Brown while adding a top DT in FA I would be more than fine with
working on a long term deal with Tee. But if Tee costs us one of these 2 positions we will be relying completely on rookies in the trenches and I
don't like that with our poor history of drafting in the trenches and a better history of drafting WR's.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tee is good but he's not elite. Jamar is elite. 

Yeah. Tee's a great #2 but he's not elite by any measure.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This franchise went to 2 straight AFC Championship Games
With the best WR core in the league and at best
A average oline. This oline doesn't have to be elite
OT to OT in order for the Bengals to win
The North and challenge the Chiefs
If o-line was everything the Browns would
Have 4 straight AFC Championship Game
Appearances.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This franchise went to 2 straight AFC Championship  Games
Appearances.

Stop it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If they get a good contract, that would be terrific. If not, then tag and try to trade before this year's draft. As Nate said, Brian Thomas, Jr. is ranked about where the Bengals draft in the 1st and is a burner with the same size as Higgins. Between pick 18 and the new pick from a trade, they can work on the trenches, given this is a good draft for OL and there are also some quality DL who will be available in the 1st and 2nd.
Reply/Quote

Somewhere between Randy and Thad. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This franchise went to 2 straight AFC Championship Games
Appearances.

I think those runs had more to do with having a really good defense. We had elite play from Bates, Chido, reader, Hendrickson. Really good plan from Wilson, Bell, Hubbard.

Last year we had elite play from: Hendrickson. That’s it. And that’s the difference. Build a strong D, give short fields to Burrow + Chase and this team may not score 35 but they’ll win 13 games/year
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they can get him for a reasonable number (and spread the cap hit out) it’s a lot better than losing him for nothing.

This.

For me it's tag and trade or extend. A 1 year rental isn't worth the cap hit when we could use it for multiple upgrades that will be signed for the next 3-4 years.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Stop it.

What was the Bengals record when Tee Chase and Burrow 
Were on the field 100% healthy last year 
I will give you a hint .....it wasn't 0 and 3. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: What was the Bengals record when Tee Chase and Burrow 

What lost the Bengals the SB in '21 and the AFCCG in '22? I'll give you a hint...it wasn't the WRs.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: What was the Bengals record when Tee Chase and Burrow 

How many games have they all played together out of possible during their career? I can tell you those stars don't align nearly as often as we need them to.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:02 PM)Trademark Wrote: Media reports say the Bengals are expected to place the franchise tag on Higgins to keep him with the team in 2024. But I’ve been told the team wants him longer than just next season.Sources close to the Bengals tell me the team is trying to negotiate a contract extension with Higgins to lock him up for the next several years. If the team cannot agree to terms with the wideout by March 5, they’ll tag him but continue to negotiate with the hopes of signing him long term before the start of the season.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-insider-notes-davante-adams-tee-higgins-futures-jets-may-find-conversation-difficult-bengals-lay-gameplan#google_vignette

No doubt they would try to extend him.... Just a matter of how much the perceived value is from both parties.
Reply/Quote
The trenches have to be addressed for us to go back to the SB this year...

If we cannot address them because of a Tee extension it would be a mistake.

We can draft WR's, we haven't shown we can draft top OL or DL yet with the current staff.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The trenches have to be addressed for us to go back to the SB this year...

If we cannot address them because of a Tee extension it would be a mistake.

We can draft WR's, we haven't shown we can draft top OL or DL yet with the current staff.
The trenches can be upgraded at the same time you can 
Also extend Tee Higgins. There is a perception that if you
Extend Tee then you can't address the oline. 
If Tee gets a long term extension then that helps 
The Bengals salary cap this year. They could add a couple 
Million to it on Higgins extension alone 
Reply/Quote
Why does it always seem that Bengals fans want every great player from every other team when they come available but are miserable unless our own great players are shown the door? It makes no sense.
Reply/Quote