Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary (/Thread-Alabama-state-official-defends-Roy-Moore-citing-Joseph-and-Mary)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Belsnickel - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: First, thank you for correcting the pedophilia comments.  As I have repeatedly demonstrated words mean something, use them correctly.  So again, thank you.

You're welcome. It's something that has been bugging me this entire time, and while my voice in the Twitterverse will just fade away into the darkness, at least on here it will be seen.

(12-13-2017, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Moore losing is actually better for the GOP long term.  It shows that Trump is an outlier, extreme candidates are not a good bet outside of him and this result could not demonstrate that more definitively.  We don't need more extreme candidates from either party, so the American public wins here.  There's zero chance Jones wins reelection..

I agree completely on this section. Jones will lose when he is up for reelection and it is better for the GOP long term, bu tit is also good for the Democrats in the short and long term. Short term, it helps fight the GOP and Trump agendas as well as helps with momentum. Odds are now at 48% they retake the Senate. Long term, we are seeing a rise of blue candidates in traditionally red areas. I put this in long term because even though it is a short term win, it can be a long term bonus if we keep it up. Even if they don't win, getting into the habit of contesting elections and nurturing candidates in places often overlooked it a good, long term strategy. I doubt the DNC will keep it up, though, because they are terrible at long term planning. Holistically, Democrats are terrible at politics.

(12-13-2017, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quick question, does Jones win the remainder of Session's term or does his election win him a full six year term?

The seat is up for reelection in 2020.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Belsnickel - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 12:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Jones will be up for reelection in 2018.  And I agree he won't beat a "normal" GOP candidate.

I had heard 2020. I will have to check on that.

Edit: The election cycle is based on the seat's term, which is up as of 03 January 2021. So it looks like the reelection is 2020.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Nately120 - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 08:53 AM)Benton Wrote: 50% of the presidents since 1992 would disagree.

Ok ok ok, what I meant to say was never go all-in on a sex offender who isn't a rich, straight, white male.  Geez!  Picky.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - GMDino - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 12:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I had heard 2020. I will have to check on that.

Edit: The election cycle is based on the seat's term, which is up as of 03 January 2021. So it looks like the reelection is 2020.

Got it.  I think I confused a story about 2018 and when Jones would be up for reelection.

(Of course I still say a couple years ago and mean 2002.   Mellow )

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 12:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're welcome. It's something that has been bugging me this entire time, and while my voice in the Twitterverse will just fade away into the darkness, at least on here it will be seen.

Exactly.  Not that either is remotely acceptable, but there is a huge difference.

Quote:I agree completely on this section. Jones will lose when he is up for reelection and it is better for the GOP long term, bu tit is also good for the Democrats in the short and long term. Short term, it helps fight the GOP and Trump agendas as well as helps with momentum. Odds are now at 48% they retake the Senate. Long term, we are seeing a rise of blue candidates in traditionally red areas. I put this in long term because even though it is a short term win, it can be a long term bonus if we keep it up. Even if they don't win, getting into the habit of contesting elections and nurturing candidates in places often overlooked it a good, long term strategy. I doubt the DNC will keep it up, though, because they are terrible at long term planning. Holistically, Democrats are terrible at politics.

I'll say it right now, there is zero chance the Dems take the Senate in 2018.  They're defending eight seats they will almost certainly lose.  In fact, I think the Jones victory makes the odds better for the GOP to expand their Senate lead.  There will be no impetus for far right or otherwise extreme candidates, the type that enabled McCaskill and Manchin to hold on by their fingernails.  I'd bet the GOP expands their lead by about five to six seats.  Of course, there are many variable in between now and then, but I think that's the most likely outcome.

Quote:The seat is up for reelection in 2020.

Thanks, I thought that was the case.  Jones will be a three year reminder to the GOP, maybe they'll start actually governing now.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 12:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: I agree that the GOP will downplay all of this...Trump already is saying it's not his fault, he wanted the other guy...but the RNC backed him fully.  They have to own that much.

Of course they'll downplay, the same way the Dems would downplay it if the reverse happened.  Trump did endorse Strange, so he is correct about that.

Quote:Jones will be up for reelection in 2020.  And I agree he won't beat a "normal" GOP candidate.

Edit to correct the reelection date.

Thank you.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Nately120 - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: First, thank you for correcting the pedophilia comments.  As I have repeatedly demonstrated words mean something, use them correctly.  So again, thank you.

True enough that Moore's, much like Subway Jared, and everyone caught by Chris Hansen technical label would be hebephile or Ephebophile, depending on the age of the target.  Calling anything in that range and below pedophilia just seems to be one of those things everyone does.

Side note, I've given up on trying to convince people that rewarding bad behavior is not negative reinforcement, but the majority rules.

On topic, I don't know the ins and outs of this election, but republicans backing a guy with Moore's red flags rather than finding someone else seems like a case of pride going before the fall, so to speak. I can't say I blame them though, as I was convinced Alabama would elect any republican over a democrat.

(12-13-2017, 12:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll say it right now, there is zero chance the Dems take the Senate in 2018.  They're defending eight seats they will almost certainly lose.  In fact, I think the Jones victory makes the odds better for the GOP to expand their Senate lead.  There will be no impetus for far right or otherwise extreme candidates, the type that enabled McCaskill and Manchin to hold on by their fingernails.  I'd bet the GOP expands their lead by about five to six seats.  Of course, there are many variable in between now and then, but I think that's the most likely outcome.

I don't think you're right on this one. We'd like to say that this shows that Trumpism without Trump can't win, or that Trump is an anomaly. But the truth is that the GOP establishment, the RNC, got back into the race and backed Moore after pulling out. The reason McConnell was silent? He fears Bannon and Trump, and voicing his real opinion would have opened him up to even more attacks. There need to be a lot of changes in the GOP before they start winning folks back. I follow a lot of staunch conservatives on social media and listen to their podcasts, and they aren't seeing a turnaround like they want. Now, these guys are insiders, so how that will translate in the electorate may be different, but if the GOP candidates for Senate and the House don't stop fearing Bannon and Trump, they may end up losing more seats.

(12-13-2017, 12:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Side note, I've given up on trying to convince people that rewarding bad behavior is not negative reinforcement, but the majority rules.

Ugh, this is a pet peeve of mine. Either rewarding bad behavior, or positive punishment, being called negative reinforcement.

Rabble rabble rabble.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Johnny Cupcakes - 12-13-2017

I wonder what the percentage of family value, morality based Christians who voted for this dude was.

(12-13-2017, 01:36 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I wonder what the percentage of family value, morality based Christians who voted for this dude was.

This actually made me think about a conversation I listened to recently regarding the Christian Right and why they vote in a way that we perceive to be against their values. I may have to start a thread on that, because it is an interesting topic that I think is important to learn about.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - GMDino - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 01:36 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I wonder what the percentage of family value, morality based Christians who voted for this dude was.

Well he got 48.4% of the total vote...

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - hollodero - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 11:41 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: 1. I think Moore is a piece of shit, for many reasons. Even taking his ephebophilia (not pedophilia, stop calling it that)

Duly noted. It's just, hardly anyone would know what is meant when using that term.

(12-13-2017, 02:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: Duly noted. It's just, hardly anyone would know what is meant when using that term.

I agree, but even if you don't know the term you can stop using pedophilia incorrectly. Words and phrases have meaning, we should use them appropriately.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - hollodero - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 02:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree, but even if you don't know the term you can stop using pedophilia incorrectly. Words and phrases have meaning, we should use them appropriately.

...yeah you're right. I'm guilty as charged and I will better myself.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Benton - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 02:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: Duly noted. It's just, hardly anyone would know what is meant when using that term.

Well... they might if you started using the term.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - Johnny Cupcakes - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 01:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This actually made me think about a conversation I listened to recently regarding the Christian Right and why they vote in a way that we perceive to be against their values. I may have to start a thread on that, because it is an interesting topic that I think is important to learn about.

You should.  I almost typed out a longer response about it, but I realize that it'd be derailing the thread.

I'd like to see what people have to say about it.

(12-13-2017, 03:06 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: You should.  I almost typed out a longer response about it, but I realize that it'd be derailing the thread.

I'd like to see what people have to say about it.

Since you were the second person to say this, it is done.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - CKwi88 - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 12:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're welcome. It's something that has been bugging me this entire time, and while my voice in the Twitterverse will just fade away into the darkness, at least on here it will be seen.

I agree completely on this section. Jones will lose when he is up for reelection and it is better for the GOP long term, bu tit is also good for the Democrats in the short and long term. Short term, it helps fight the GOP and Trump agendas as well as helps with momentum. Odds are now at 48% they retake the Senate. Long term, we are seeing a rise of blue candidates in traditionally red areas. I put this in long term because even though it is a short term win, it can be a long term bonus if we keep it up. Even if they don't win, getting into the habit of contesting elections and nurturing candidates in places often overlooked it a good, long term strategy. I doubt the DNC will keep it up, though, because they are terrible at long term planning. Holistically, Democrats are terrible at politics.

The seat is up for reelection in 2020.

Just as a curiosity, where does the 48% chance come from? While I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is no chance they are able to retake the Senate, 48 still seems high.

I'd genuinely like to read some analysis on the chances, if you'd have it.

(12-13-2017, 05:49 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just as a curiosity, where does the 48% chance come from? While I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is no chance they are able to retake the Senate, 48 still seems high.

I'd genuinely like to read some analysis on the chances, if you'd have it.

Unfortunately, I don't have it, and I'd probably have a hard time finding it, now. LOL

I started typing this, and then remembered where I saw this. Nate Silver posted it on the live-blog-a-thon from that night: http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/alabama-senate-election-results/

He posted that at 22.40. The link he gives for it is: https://www.predictit.org/Market/2703/Which-party-will-control-the-Senate-after-2018-midterms

The chart is what he is referring to. Obviously not the most scientific thing, but we're too far out for polling. Also, most people don't know this, but betting odds makers can be as good, if not better at times, at predicting political races than pollsters.

RE: Alabama state official defends Roy Moore, citing Joseph and Mary - GMDino - 12-28-2017

So Moore STILL has not conceded.  In fact he now claims voter fraud.

Mellow

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/28/roy-moore-challenges-alabama-senate-election-defeat-alleges-rampant-voter-fraud.html

Quote:Roy Moore filed an election complaint late Wednesday, claiming voter fraud altered the outcome of Alabama’s Senate race, paving the way for Democrat Doug Jones’ victory.

The Moore campaign said in a statement that the purpose of the complaint is to delay the certification of the election results until “a thorough investigation of potential election fraud, that improperly altered the outcome of this election, is conducted.”

The request came just a day before the State Canvassing Board is scheduled to meet and certify the results of the election.

“This is not a Republican or Democrat issue as election integrity should matter to everyone,” Moore said. “We call on Secretary of State Merrill to delay certification until there is a thorough investigation of what three independent election experts agree took place: election fraud sufficient to overturn the outcome of the election.”

The statement cites three Election Integrity experts saying that “with a reasonable degree of statistical and mathematical certainty … election fraud occurred” and noted the irregularities in 20 precincts alone could reverse the results of the election.

According to the results from earlier this month, the Republican candidate lost the election to Jones by a margin of 21,000 votes. Jones became the first Democrat in over two decades to win a U.S. Senate seat in Alabama, the deep-red state that Trump carried by about 28 points during the 2016 presidential election.

The election complaint also includes an affidavit from Moore saying that he underwent a polygraph test and confirmed that the allegations of sexual misconduct with underage girls are “completely false.”

Moore’s reluctance to concede the election prompted an intervention by President Donald Trump, who backed the Republican candidate, urging him to concede the election.

"I think he should (concede)," Trump said earlier this month. "I want to support the person running. We need the seat. We'd like to have the seat."

When you make TRUMP sound reasonable you need to step aside, maybe have yourself committed to a nice home or something.