Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
White Privilege? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: White Privilege? (/Thread-White-Privilege)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: White Privilege? - GMDino - 07-11-2018

Tell you boys what...I wish I was so well schooled in EVERY aspect of EVERY discussion that I could a) always be right without citing a source and b) never have to admit I was just wrong but wanted to divert from the actual discussion.

Some of y'all should have a PhD in that crap. Cool

Carry on.

RE: White Privilege? - BmorePat87 - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 08:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://sciencing.com/should-only-test-one-variable-time-experiment-11414533.html

But that's enough. I'm just gonna go with the assumption that if the discussion was simply the model for a scientific study we all would agree that there should be only 1 IV and if we have more each should be studied separately. You and Fred have spent the last couple pages refuting that simply because of the nature of this study.

Sorry for calling you link a study. I should have called it something as you did. Good luck in science class. 

Well this is awkward

https://sciencing.com/can-science-experiment-two-manipulated-variables-14511.html

But seriously, just read the study lol

edit: just saw the source for the article written by the guy with a degree in theology, it's from a science fair website and admits that advanced experiments can have multiple independent variables but that first timers in science fairs should only have one... LOL

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 07:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it doesn't

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070823110409AAaQk6o

You realize that anybody on the internet can contribute answers in that link? It is by no means a definitive source.

(07-11-2018, 07:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: As of a few minutes ago, you assumed some issues existed that didn't actually exist.

Did you even read it?

Yes.

RE: White Privilege? - BmorePat87 - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 09:50 PM)Beaker Wrote: You realize that anybody on the internet can contribute answers in that link? It is by no means a definitive source.

are these?

guide on improving lab reports from NC State and the National Science Foundation:

https://projects.ncsu.edu/labwrite/instructors/CoursePak_standard.pdf

Book by a guy with a PhD in psychology and statistics on experimental design:
https://www.corwin.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/29173_Millsap___Chapter_2.pdf

(07-11-2018, 09:57 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: are these?

guide on improving lab reports from NC State and the National Science Foundation:

https://projects.ncsu.edu/labwrite/instructors/CoursePak_standard.pdf

Book by a guy with a PhD in psychology and statistics on experimental design:
https://www.corwin.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/29173_Millsap___Chapter_2.pdf

The NC State source is better than the corwin, which deals mainly with statistical variance in experimental design. But both are still better than yahoo answers.

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 02:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Theoretically, they CAN turn their racism into oppression (to which I would argue would be next to impossible in America), but that still does not prove the existence of white privilege.

(07-11-2018, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are multiple studies that show blacks are discriminated against by law enforcement, real estate agents, and potential employers.    

Some people don't know about these studies.  I give them the benefit of the doubt.  But you have seen them posted in multiple threads.  You are intentionally denying reality.  People like you are the problem.

Reboot time.

I have removed the word "scientific" from my reply.

Anyone want to reply to my point?

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 07-12-2018

(07-11-2018, 11:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Reboot time.

Yes. When a real estate agent or employer discriminates against any person based solely upon their skin color, that should be investigated and the person, if it is found to be true, should lose their job.

Or was your point that Philhos is the problem?

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 07-12-2018

(07-11-2018, 11:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Reboot time.

Milwaukee blows.

RE: White Privilege? - Nately120 - 07-12-2018

I don't need a study to tell me white privilege exists; all I have to do is look at the topics in this forum. White people peacefully carry guns while protesting and unarmed blacks get shot for being black and inherently defiant. Also, our country has a lot of people in it who insist on telling me that white people are the best. What's not to believe?

I suppose you could take all the quotes by Trump and tell his supporters some guy name Tyrone Jackson said them and they'd be every bit as spellbound.

(07-12-2018, 12:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: White people peacefully carry guns while protesting and unarmed blacks get shot for being black and inherently defiant.  

You don't think there can be mitigating factors for this beyond race? For example, why did you say white people peacefully demonstrate, while blacks are defiant?

(07-12-2018, 01:11 PM)Beaker Wrote: You don't think there can be mitigating factors for this beyond race? For example, why did you say white people peacefully demonstrate, while blacks are defiant?

Because that is what societal reactions lead us to believe.  When black men with assault rifles gather en masse and Fox News calls them inspirational patriots ill change my mind .

Until then ill just continue to have no problem believing that being a white male makes things a bit easier for me .

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 07-12-2018

(07-12-2018, 10:36 AM)Beaker Wrote: Yes. When a real estate agent or employer discriminates against any person based solely upon their skin color, that should be investigated and the person, if it is found to be true, should lose their job.

Or was your point that Philhos is the problem?

My point is that whenever minorities complain about being treated unfairly because of the color of their skin many people say it is not true.

Just look at how the hyper sensitive white people here started squealing about the study I posted.  "Oh no.  It wasn't because of race.  Those results are not valid. It had to be  something else that was different on the applications or the way the people answered the questions."

(07-12-2018, 01:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Because that is what societal reactions lead us to believe.  When black men with assault rifles gather en masse and Fox News calls them inspirational patriots ill change my mind .

Until then ill just continue to have no problem believing that being a white male makes things a bit easier for me .

Is it not possible that the police would be just as hard on the white protesters if they were the ones being defiant and the black protesters were the ones being peaceful?

(07-12-2018, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is that whenever minorities complain about being treated unfairly because of the color of their skin many people say it is not true.

Just look at how the hyper sensitive white people here started squealing about the study I posted.  "Oh no.  It wasn't because of race.  Those results are not valid. It had to be  something else that was different on the applications or the way the people answered the questions."

My only issue with your study was when you called it scientific, espoused controlled variables and said it was proof others were wrong. A single study, whether scientific or social, over a small area cannot provide definitive proof. What it did provide was evidence to support your position. Other than that, I also said the study has merit because it raises good questions for further investigation and discussion. 

There are plenty of times when all people are treated unfairly based solely upon their race. That is not right.

(07-12-2018, 01:46 PM)Beaker Wrote: Is it not possible that the police would be just as hard on the white protesters if they were the ones being defiant and the black protesters were the ones being peaceful?

You and I can agree to disagree on this and since we are both white I trust neither of us will feel intimidated nor suspicious enough to call the police 

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 07-12-2018

(07-12-2018, 01:46 PM)Beaker Wrote: Is it not possible that the police would be just as hard on the white protesters if they were the ones being defiant and the black protesters were the ones being peaceful?

Ask the Bundys.

(07-12-2018, 01:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You and I can agree to disagree on this and since we are both white I trust neither of us will feel intimidated nor suspicious enough to call the police 

Yet the possibility exists that police response could be dependent upon the behavior of the protesters regardless of race.

(07-12-2018, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ask the Bundys.

1. I don't get the reference.

2. He can't frame it as "peaceful white" and "defiant black" protestors, and then claim unequal response by the police as evidence of racism.

(07-12-2018, 01:58 PM)Beaker Wrote: Yet the possibility exists that police response could be dependent upon the behavior of the protesters regardless of race.

I guess it's possible, but we also live in a country where Dylan Roof apparently behaved in a manner that allowed him to be taken into custody while (insert favorite unarmed black man here) behaved in a manner that police felt warranted lethal force.  

(07-12-2018, 02:05 PM)Beaker Wrote: 1. I don't get the reference.

2. He can't frame it as "peaceful white" and "defiant black" protestors, and then claim unequal response by the police as evidence of racism.

I sardonically used those terms to point out the hypocrisy in pretending race plays zero role in how we interpret a person's actions.  The joke is that a white male can open carry and be a patriot while a black man doing the same thing...eh...sometimes inspires gun control measures.

This video may be sensationalized for all I know, but it sums up my argument.  I guess the black guy has a more "violent looking hairdo" than the white guy though, so lord knows that's a confounding variable.