Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? (/Thread-Burrow-Offensive-Rookie-of-the-Year)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Tony - 10-19-2020

(10-19-2020, 11:51 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Offensive Rookie of the Year is a long way from being a done deal.  I'm not sure Joe Burrow will be in the running based on the Bengals' win-loss record alone.  If the Bengals experience a massive midseason turnaround then maybe.

Let's not relive the 2020 draft again.  For the record I wanted to trade the pick but now that Joe Burrow is a Bengal that is all water under the bridge and I back him 100%. 

Drafting Justin Herbert would have been the right move under the following conditions:

1. An excellent existing offensive line.
2. A well developed run game.
3. An experienced offensive coordinator.
4. A superb coach who calls the plays.
5.  Deep threat wide receivers already on the roster.

The Bengals met none of these conditions.  If they went quarterback it had to be Burrow.

You just described a pro bowl offense. That's not really realistic...

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Nicomo Cosca - 10-19-2020

(10-19-2020, 11:11 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bounce back week for Burrow who made all the throws (even the drops were dimes). He didn't put up the passing TD's, but rebounded nicely to maintain his lead.

Don't hold the INT to end the game against him. Herbert threw one too.

It’s REALLY bad if you’re throwing picks on your bye week... Tongue

Also it sucks about the TD’s. Mixon dropped one in the EZ, and Higgins should have had one on the 67 yard bomb if he would have kept running hard and not turned around to look behind him.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - KillerGoose - 10-19-2020

(10-19-2020, 11:51 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Offensive Rookie of the Year is a long way from being a done deal.  I'm not sure Joe Burrow will be in the running based on the Bengals' win-loss record alone.  If the Bengals experience a massive midseason turnaround then maybe.

Let's not relive the 2020 draft again.  For the record I wanted to trade the pick but now that Joe Burrow is a Bengal that is all water under the bridge and I back him 100%. 

Drafting Justin Herbert would have been the right move under the following conditions:

1. An excellent existing offensive line.
2. A well developed run game.
3. An experienced offensive coordinator.
4. A superb coach who calls the plays.
5.  Deep threat wide receivers already on the roster.

The Bengals met none of these conditions.  If they went quarterback it had to be Burrow.

Herbert is definitely in a better situation, but all of these aren't true. The Chargers offensive line stinks, but Herbert is a good athlete and has also played really, really well when he is pressured. They also don't have an experienced OC. Their OC, Shane Steichen, is in his first full season as an OC, in NFL or college. 

I love having Burrow and I think he will be a special QB but I also don't believe that Herbert would stink if he was drafted here. He is simply a better NFL QB than many of us thought he would be. 

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - jj22 - 10-26-2020

Burrow certainly did his part this week, but Herbert just won't back down.

Great game from both. But I was clearly wrong about Herbert, and if I am the Dolphins, I am hoping Tua shines or else the pressure will be on.

Herbert yall is legit.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - jj22 - 10-26-2020

I think it'll come down to which team has more wins.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Rubekahn29 - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 11:15 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think it'll come down to which team has more wins.

You are probably right. 

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Essex Johnson - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 11:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow certainly did his part this week, but Herbert just won't back down.

Great game from both. But I was clearly wrong about Herbert, and if I am the Dolphins, I am hoping Tua shines or else the pressure will be on.

Herbert yall is legit.

Both played great over weekend because of the two turnovers early by Burrow (very costly Int) have to give edge to Herbert still.. I do think all the hype of Burrow coming out of college helps him even if Bengals have less wins in the end but if i was voting right now I would vote for Herbert but Burrow could easily win it with a couple down games by Herbert in the 2nd half of season.  

If Tua shows well the rest of the year, early returns on this draft are looking good at QB.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - SHRacerX - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 11:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow certainly did his part this week, but Herbert just won't back down.

Herbert yall is legit.

I am impressed with Herbert as well, and I have been wrong about what kind of pro he would be thus far.  Tua is a lot like a Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray without the crazy athleticism.  Odd thing is, it is that crazy athleticism that makes Wilson and Murray special.  It will be interesting to watch, though.  Not rooting against the kid or anything, but still think the Bengals got the best QB by far.  

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Nicomo Cosca - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 01:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Both played great over weekend because of the two turnovers early by Burrow (very costly Int) have to give edge to Herbert still.. I do think all the hype of Burrow coming out of college helps him even if Bengals have less wins in the end but if i was voting right now I would vote for Herbert but Burrow could easily win it with a couple down games by Herbert in the 2nd half of season.  

If Tua shows well the rest of the year, early returns on this draft are looking good at QB.

Shocking.

Burrow was playing a 4-2 team. Herbert was playing the 1-5 Jags. Context.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - bfine32 - 10-26-2020

Herbert and Burrow have played a common opponent; The Jags.

Herbert: 27 of 43, 347 yards, 3 TDs, 111.3 passer rating

Burrow: 25 of 36, 300 yards, 1 TD, 94.3 Passer rating.

Each was sacked once and got their only win.

(10-26-2020, 07:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Herbert and Burrow have played a common opponent; The Jags.

Herbert: 27 of 43, 347 yards, 3 TDs, 111.3 passer rating

Burrow: 25 of 36, 300 yards, 1 TD, 94.3 Passer rating.

Each was sacked once and got their only win.

Well tbf it was the one and only game Burrow didn’t have to carry the offense. Mixon ran for 150 yds and 2 TD’s.

Herbert was the Chargers leading rusher vs JAX. They had no running game whatsoever. Not trying to downplay how good Herbert was, just pointing out we didn’t need Burrow to throw as much as usual.

(10-26-2020, 06:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Shocking.

Burrow was playing a 4-2 team. Herbert was playing the 1-5 Jags. Context.

Shocking that you are shocked

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - bengalfan74 - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 01:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Both played great over weekend because of the two turnovers early by Burrow (very costly Int) have to give edge to Herbert still.. I do think all the hype of Burrow coming out of college helps him even if Bengals have less wins in the end but if i was voting right now I would vote for Herbert but Burrow could easily win it with a couple down games by Herbert in the 2nd half of season.  

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/joe-burrow-historic-season

Yep Burrow just stinks  Ninja

(10-26-2020, 08:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well tbf it was the one and only game Burrow didn’t have to carry the offense. Mixon ran for 150 yds and 2 TD’s.

Herbert was the Chargers leading rusher vs JAX. They had no running game whatsoever. Not trying to downplay how good Herbert was, just pointing out we didn’t need Burrow to throw as much as usual.

well passing rating is not based on more throws.. actually more throws could  also lower your rating depending on amount of TDS and yards per throw.  Burrow could have had a higher rating than Herbert with less throws so really makes your statement mute. 

(10-26-2020, 09:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well passing rating is not based on more throws.. actually more throws could  also lower your rating depending on amount of TDS and yards per throw.  Burrow could have had a higher rating than Herbert with less throws so really makes your statement mute. 

First of all it’s moot not “mute” lol

And Joe didn’t have to throw for more TD’s because Mixon ran for 2. Burrow should have had another passing TD though if Drew Sample hadn’t let Myles Jack steal his lunch money.

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - bfine32 - 10-26-2020

I will say it's refreshing to see the assertion that our QB didn't do better than another QB because he had help,

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - TheLeonardLeap - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 04:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am impressed with Herbert as well, and I have been wrong about what kind of pro he would be thus far.  Tua is a lot like a Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray without the crazy athleticism.  Odd thing is, it is that crazy athleticism that makes Wilson and Murray special.  It will be interesting to watch, though.  Not rooting against the kid or anything, but still think the Bengals got the best QB by far.  

What makes Wilson special in my minds isn't that he has that crazy athleticism but that he has crazy athleticism but it's not the focal part of his game, he just uses it to elevates his overall game. He's a passer first who is an opportunistic runner. Combine that with having the intelligence and skill to realize that if he wants a long healthy career, he needs to unnecessary hits by getting out of bounds or sliding early.

It's why I have no problem envisioning Wilson playing at age 40 and still kicking ass. I can't really envision that for any of the other run-heavy QBs.

(10-26-2020, 09:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well passing rating is not based on more throws.. actually more throws could  also lower your rating depending on amount of TDS and yards per throw.  Burrow could have had a higher rating than Herbert with less throws so really makes your statement mute. 

That's actually one of my two main problems with QB Rating. It's the best stat we have for QBs, but I think it favors game managers a little too much.  (The other being I wish we had a weighted/scaled version so we could instantly find out how much above/below average they were while also being able to easily compare different years/eras against each other like you can with OPS+ and ERA+ in baseball.)

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Browns Town Bengal - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 10:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: First of all it’s moot not “mute” lol

And Joe didn’t have to throw for more TD’s because Mixon ran for 2. Burrow should have had another passing TD though if Drew Sample hadn’t let Myles Jack steal his lunch money.

My boss always says "mute" when he means moot.  But not in written form, its always verbal.  ALways makes me laugh

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - Murdock2420 - 10-27-2020

(10-26-2020, 11:15 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think it'll come down to which team has more wins.

I said that on page two or three of this thread and was hammered for it...

Be careful with sound logic!

RE: Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year? - bfine32 - 10-27-2020

(10-26-2020, 11:11 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: My boss always says "mute" when he means moot.  But not in written form, its always verbal.  ALways makes me laugh

Maybe he's just telling you to shut up.