Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jonah Williams Requests Trade (/Thread-Jonah-Williams-Requests-Trade)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - ochocincos - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:17 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Keep him.

We're not getting anything from him anyway and Collins is hurt.

If a team is willing to give up even a 7th rounder, that's $12.6 mill in cap that is freed up.
Hell, I'd give a team a 7th rounder to take that. I don't even need a draft pick in compensation.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Synric - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Looking around the league, seems like maybe 3 teams that might be willing to trade for a LT:

Steelers - but their a division rival
Bears - they have Braxton Jones, but were interested in Orlando
Jets - it appears Becton could be moving to RT

The Buccaneers need a LT but don't have much cap space that's a possible landing spot. The Chiefs are still down a tackle too and they did just signed a career Right Tackle to play on the Left. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Bengalbug - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Looking around the league, seems like maybe 3 teams that might be willing to trade for a LT:

Bears - they have Braxton Jones, but were interested in Orlando

Titans?

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - casear2727 - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:24 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: What about him and mixon for Derrick Henry and a pick?

Why would we want Henry?  

He is expensive, older and needs a totally different offensive scheme...?

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Frank Booth - 03-17-2023

Bears - They have Jones, but were interested in Orlando

jets should make the move. Jonah fits what they're trying to do, and if they land Aaron Rodgers.... wow

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Well yeah, I think it's a given that's why Brown was signed. I wonder how Jonah and his agent concluded it was best to request a trade. If he moved to RT, started, and contributed to yet another winning Bengals team Jonah could have positioned himself to earn more. Maybe he wants to compete and earn the big bucks as a LT heading into FA.

When we drafted him, he pretty much said he only wanted to play LT. It is a money thing with most OT's, they ALL want to be
the LT. Orlando says it is about family pride as well though. You have to be really good to be a LT in the NFL. I thought Jonah 
would be more humble than this and tough it out and try and compete at RT myself, but doesn't sound like that is the case.

Have to trade him if he is unhappy here.

Weird, with Burrow he has a chance at a ring.

(03-17-2023, 01:53 PM)bk42 Wrote: Bummer - was excited to see where they ended up with the line.  I pictured: Brown, LC, Karras, Cappa and Williams (after Collins returned from injury and assuming he was not cut)  

Bengals may not get much in return in trading Williams but they likely free up more cap room for this season

Wouldn't of surprised me if Carman beat him out at RT anyways honestly as injury prone as Jonah is.

Freeing up cap room alone would be a good move in a trade.

If we get a 3rd or even 4th round pick for him while doing so even better.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-17-2023

I think it is possible it happens fast.

If the Bengals feel he'll be a pain in the butt if he stays (or his camp indicates such), then getting rid of him quickly makes the most sense. We want to be able to reinvest that $12.6 mil back into the team this year. And while there will be guys available pre/post draft, post-June 1, and on cutdown day, there is a much wider selection now.

IF we want to do a deal, soon, then does that put Gardner-Johnson in play instead of Rapp/Scott? Do we call Dalton Schultz? Pay a bit more for some vet pass rush (Houston, Campbell, Ingram, Clark, Clowney), CB (Griffin, Peters, Ya-Sin), or even OL (Seumalo, Risner, Wynn). Do we call Beckham?

Or if we are not incluned to deal him now, we just proceed on in FA like nothing happened. Treat it like found money if a deal gets done later. But I'd want to get something that can help us now. Jonah is a starter level player. He is not awful.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Bengalholic - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:25 PM)Synric Wrote: The Buccaneers need a LT but don't have much cap space that's a possible landing spot. The Chiefs are still down a tackle too and they did just signed a career Right Tackle to play on the Left. 

Maybe, but they'd have to clear 12m in cap space.

(03-17-2023, 02:25 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Titans?

They just signed Andre Dillard to a 3 yr- 29m deal.

(03-17-2023, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When we drafted him, he pretty much said he only wanted to play LT. It is a money thing with most OT's, they ALL want to be
the LT. Orlando says it is about family pride as well though. You have to be really good to be a LT in the NFL. I thought Jonah 
would be more humble than this and tough it out and try and compete at RT myself, but doesn't sound like that is the case.

Have to trade him if he is unhappy here.

Weird, with Burrow he has a chance at a ring.

Jonah is only 25 years old. A 25 year old doesn't have to chase a ring.
2nd contract - get the $$
3rd/4th contract - chase the ring (and ideally get the $$)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Luvnit2 - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If a team is willing to give up even a 7th rounder, that's $12.6 mill in cap that is freed up.
Hell, I'd give a team a 7th rounder to take that. I don't even need a draft pick in compensation.

Glad you are not a GM

FO would lose all respect for a deal you are proposing.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would we want Henry?  

He is expensive, older and needs a totally different offensive scheme...?

Totally agreed! It seems that many think players are just plug and play period with no regard for scheme and play style. 

(03-17-2023, 02:16 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No matter who you are playing beside you still have to block your man. Not blocking your man is why the sack generally is happening when it is attributed to you as a blocker.

True, just giving Jonah another excuse for his poor play before he got injured again lol

(03-17-2023, 02:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Maybe, but they'd have to clear 12m somehow.

Thyey just signed Andre Dillard to a 3 yr- 29m deal.

I forgot that's where Dillard went.
He's not accounted for yet on TEN's cap space page on Spotrac, which is why I didn't think they had a LT.

(03-17-2023, 02:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Trade could come soon according to Rapp:

Good stuff, thanks for that Casaer. That would be awesome if it happened today. Cool

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Soonerpeace - 03-17-2023

I would not be hasty. If we can save the cap money and get a 3rd rounder it’s a huge win. I may be too optimistic. Then as I’ve been promoting ( now with 2 third rounders) swap with Detroit for their #18 and also give them our second. Then by golly go get Darnell Wright. Make out like a bandit

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Frank Booth - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, just giving Jonah another excuse for his poor play before he got injured again lol

I think it's fair. People saying anything to show that he sucks without giving context. 

The whole lack of chemistry with the o-line during the first 5 weeks is a legit argument. But now all of a sudden it's an excuse? Then why were people talking about it in the first place...

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Housh - 03-17-2023

I didn’t expect there to be interest

Honestly this is such a great position

Now we can be cheap with our cap and it’s not our fault. There was really no reason to cut him before this request. It would’ve just been a cap move to save money.

I was also one that advocates to try and get extra picks in this draft even if it meant trading out of number 28.

Getting a 3rd round comp pick and an extra 3rd or 4th would help us so much.

(03-17-2023, 02:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Glad you are not a GM

FO would lose all respect for a deal you are proposing.

What you talkin about?
I'd lose respect WAY before that would happen!

(03-17-2023, 02:35 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I would not be hasty. If we can save the cap money and get a 3rd rounder it’s a huge win. I may be too optimistic. Then as I’ve been promoting ( now with 2 third rounders) swap with Detroit for their #18 and also give them our second. Then by golly go get Darnell Wright. Make out like a bandit

That would be frickin' awesome! Pervert

(03-17-2023, 02:35 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think it's fair. People saying anything to show that he sucks without giving context. 

The whole lack of chemistry with the o-line during the first 5 weeks is a legit argument. But now all of a sudden it's an excuse? Then why were people talking about it in the first place...

Of course it is fair, entirely new OL besides Jonah and a rookie next to him on top of it. Chemistry is real with OL.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:35 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think it's fair. People saying anything to show that he sucks without giving context. 

I believe there is a legit argument of chemistry for new line ups across your O line which is why I totally disagreed with the starters not playing in the preseason. However, how long is this excuse valid?  I believe after the equivalent of the preseason has been met that you need to see legit improvement. When you watch Volson thru the season you saw incremental improvement as the weeks went on. I can't say that I saw improvement with Jonah. Was it the bad knees? Maybe it was but again if you are not available then you are not valuable.

As I stated in another thread. Jonah is not the worst OT in the league but he is what he is. He will never have the true natural power to sit down and anchor and his technique has never been truly sound enough to make up for that lack of raw power. More than Jonah being average is Jonah not living up to the draft billing and I was a fan of the selection when they made it.

Jonah may be more athletic than Brown but you can improve the technique of Brown to help him with speed by altering his kick step and so forth and/or improving initial punch technique to get defender off balance with the raw power Brown has. You cannot teach natural power and anchor to Jonah.