Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
So what now when it comes to the TE room? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: So what now when it comes to the TE room? (/Thread-So-what-now-when-it-comes-to-the-TE-room)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - OSUfan - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Bergeron is a reach at #28. A big one. Now, at #60 or #92, I like/love him. 

He is not gonna start year 1. 

I would disagree. I believe Bergeron is a prime candidate to be a day 1 RT starter for a team. He has the absolutely correct demeanor for the position and the physicality. What Bergeron needs to clean up is hand placement and it could be argued that fixing that is done best with live reps.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - casear2727 - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 03:40 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Win's matter and that is the only stat that does matter during the season. We are in the offseason and cannot get a win now so we look to improve the team in every way we can.

Go to the 16 min mark in the video it shows a chart about running backs. Mixon is really bad beyond help, we all said wait till Pollack becomes the O-line coach again Mixon will improve. Then it was wait till we get better players on the O-line his numbers will improve. I am just tired of waiting on him to improve he goes down way too easy after contact for my liking.

[/url][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua3sW-c_pc0&t=2277s](35) Jonah Williams trade talks heating up? - YouTube

I have been critical of Mixon for quite awhile, take away the Panther's game and he isn't starter material at any price.  With a Jonah trade and extra pick, people are discussing, and rightly so, a double up at TE, BUT, if we cut Mixon I would not hate a double up at RB with Charbonnet and one of Achane, Spears or Mitchell (ECU)....

(03-23-2023, 04:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I don't think that is an entirely fair characterization of Washington. His blocking production is real. That's on tape. He was just TE2 at Georgia because of Bowers, so got fewer targets. 

I mean, you are doing some projection in terms of his receiving skills. But the physical traits are elite. Worst case he is an elite blocker and fantastic short yardage/goal line target. I can live with that. He is almost like drafting a RT. The run game shouod improve with him at TE. 

Im just not into spending a 1st Rd pick on a great blocking TE with potential to be a receiving threat.  2nd and later I would love the kid, and I know that is unrealistic. 

If I were the Titans I would trade up for him if necessary, but not our offense.

(03-23-2023, 04:12 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I would disagree. I believe Bergeron is a prime candidate to be a day 1 RT starter for a team. He has the absolutely correct demeanor for the position and the physicality. What Bergeron needs to clean up is hand placement and it could be argued that fixing that is done best with live reps.

You are consistent with this guy.  I dont see him in RD 1 either, or a for sure RT starter on day 1, he gave up 5 sacks his senior year.  And he was not facing SEC competition.  In fact he was never 1st Team ACC...  I do not think he is a bad player but many question his pass blocking and foresee his future at OG...?

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - BengalsBong - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And you can argue that if the run game is Priority 1, get the guy who is best at run blocking, which is Darnell Washington.
Then get a RT on Day 2 to compete with Carman for RT snaps while Collins recovers.

Alternatively, you can go Darnell Wright in Rd 1 and then look for a TE on Day 2, but you run more risk of not being able to get a TE who can't start as well the longer you wait.

There's also CB to worry about though, as there's no great CB4 on the roster and Awuzie is in recovery. It'd be real nice to have an early-round pick at CB who can be groomed at CB4 but also give hope of playing well if they had to fill in due to any injury.

If we do not get a RT in the first round all the good ones will be gone by our second pick. Then we will be going with Williams/Carman/Cody Ford/Collins at RT which none I would be happy with. The first three are rolls of the dice Williams being the most likely one to work, but he does not want to switch to RT. So is he really going to care if a team that just replaced him at LT wins games as long as he looks good enough to prove to the rest of the NFL he can stay healthy enough to start at LT. Collins is injured now and could look worse when he comes back is rest going to fix back issues that keep him from taking steps back to engage the speed rush around the outside.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - THE PISTONS - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im just not into spending a 1st Rd pick on a great blocking TE with potential to be a receiving threat.  2nd and later I would love the kid, and I know that is unrealistic. 

If I were the Titans I would trade up for him if necessary, but not our offense.

Same.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:12 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I would disagree. I believe Bergeron is a prime candidate to be a day 1 RT starter for a team. He has the absolutely correct demeanor for the position and the physicality. What Bergeron needs to clean up is hand placement and it could be argued that fixing that is done best with live reps.

Agree with you completely on Bergeron OSUfan and I rarely disagree with ICTR85. At the very least it would be a good competition 
between Bergeron and Carman at RT. Both play physical and are good run blockers, just have things to work on, hand placement with
Bergeron and pass protection and balance and consistency with Carman.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - THE PISTONS - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:21 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: If we do not get a RT in the first round all the good ones will be gone by our second pick. Then we will be going with Williams/Carman/Cody Ford/Collins at RT which none I would be happy with. The first three are rolls of the dice Williams being the most likely one to work, but he does not want to switch to RT. So is he really going to care if a team that just replaced him at LT wins games as long as he looks good enough to prove to the rest of the NFL he can stay healthy enough to start at LT. Collins is injured now and could look worse when he comes back is rest going to fix back issues that keep him from taking steps back to engage the speed rush around the outside.

We might need help at CB too. Awuzie coming off an injury. CTB. I don't think we re-signed Apple or Flowers yet. Hilton is here.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - ochocincos - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:21 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: If we do not get a RT in the first round all the good ones will be gone by our second pick. Then we will be going with Williams/Carman/Cody Ford/Collins at RT which none I would be happy with. The first three are rolls of the dice Williams being the most likely one to work, but he does not want to switch to RT. So is he really going to care if a team that just replaced him at LT wins games as long as he looks good enough to prove to the rest of the NFL he can stay healthy enough to start at LT. Collins is injured now and could look worse when he comes back is rest going to fix back issues that keep him from taking steps back to engage the speed rush around the outside.

Have you gone through all the starting RTs in the league to see what round they were drafted?
I haven't done it recently, but I seem to recall there being more non-1st round RTs than there are non-1st round LTs starting in the league.

(03-23-2023, 04:13 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I have been critical of Mixon for quite awhile, take away the Panther's game and he isn't starter material at any price.  With a Jonah trade and extra pick, people are discussing, and rightly so, a double up at TE, BUT, if we cut Mixon I would not hate a double up at RB with Charbonnet and one of Achane, Spears or Mitchell (ECU)....

Double dip at TE and RB would be good with me for sure.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - Synric - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You are consistent with this guy.  I dont see him in RD 1 either, or a for sure RT starter on day 1, he gave up 5 sacks his senior year.  And he was not facing SEC competition.  In fact he was never 1st Team ACC...  I do not think he is a bad player but many question his pass blocking and foresee his future at OG...?

I'm not suggesting he is a first round prospect. Most of the player's that will be available at pick #28 will be boarderline first round prospects. I remember Daniel Jeremiah mentioning going into the Senior Bowl teams were thinking he was maybe a guard then after the week they were like yea he's a tackle.

(03-23-2023, 04:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Have you gone through all the starting RTs in the league to see what round they were drafted?
I haven't done it recently, but I seem to recall there being more non-1st round RTs than there are non-1st round LTs starting in the league.

Yes, I have heard the same thing, but we really need the RT to work so hoping a higher round guy will be the better option this year. Every draft pick is a gamble none are certain unless his name was Burrow. lol

I am really tired of trying to get the O-line worked out every year we seem to need a hole filled sometimes multiple holes filled it is getting old.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:28 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not suggesting he is a first round prospect. Most of the player's that will be available at pick #28 will be boarderline first round prospects. I remember Daniel Jeremiah mentioning going into the Senior Bowl teams were thinking he was maybe a guard then after the week they were like yea he's a tackle.

Ideally if Darnell Wright isn't there, we trade out of the first and grab Bergeron anyways in the 2nd where he is projected.

Adds a pick and a mean, run blocking RT to compete for the starting job.

(03-23-2023, 04:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We might need help at CB too. Awuzie coming off an injury. CTB. I don't think we re-signed Apple or Flowers yet. Hilton is here.

I love Hilton but KC went after him in the playoffs. Yeah Awuzie might not be the same guy after the injury that is a question mark for sure. We need Apple back to I am a big fan of his play on the field. 

We could use a CB and Slot in case Boyd leaves next year, really could use Slot depth in case of injury as well it killed us when Boyd went down. O-line depth across the board. Wish we had more picks hoping Williams gets us a good pick 3rd or better.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - Housh - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:41 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I love Hilton but KC went after him in the playoffs. Yeah Awuzie might not be the same guy after the injury that is a question mark for sure. We need Apple back to I am a big fan of his play on the field. 

We could use a CB and Slot in case Boyd leaves next year, really could use Slot depth in case of injury as well it killed us when Boyd went down. O-line depth across the board. Wish we had more picks hoping Williams gets us a good pick 3rd or better.

Had 1 bad game against KC cmon. That is no reason to be down on Hilton.

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - Frank Booth - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:47 PM)Housh Wrote: Had 1 bad game against KC cmon. That is no reason to be down on Hilton.

the fans here are a fickle bunch

(03-23-2023, 04:47 PM)Housh Wrote: Had 1 bad game against KC cmon. That is no reason to be down on Hilton.

I am not down on him just pointed it out is all.

(03-23-2023, 04:28 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not suggesting he is a first round prospect. Most of the player's that will be available at pick #28 will be boarderline first round prospects. I remember Daniel Jeremiah mentioning going into the Senior Bowl teams were thinking he was maybe a guard then after the week they were like yea he's a tackle.

Im not impressed with any OT whose struggle is pass blocking.  This OT class is very underwhelming. After Johnson, Skoronski, B Jones, Harrison and Wright, I am becoming very skeptical.

Dawand Jones refuses to test, that has been horrendous for us in the past.
Mauch is most likely IOL.
Duncan is a worse pass blocker than Bergeron.
Freeland isnt ready strength wise.
Bergeron struggles in pass protection.

It will be interesting.....

RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - ochocincos - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 04:30 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Yes, I have heard the same thing, but we really need the RT to work so hoping a higher round guy will be the better option this year. Every draft pick is a gamble none are certain unless his name was Burrow. lol

I am really tired of trying to get the O-line worked out every year we seem to need a hole filled sometimes multiple holes filled it is getting old.

This is unfortunately what happens when the team doesn't fill all their immediate needs in FA.
They didn't sign a TE1, TE2, RB2, CB4, or RT.
At least there's some ok players that could hold down RT in Jonah or Carman so it's of a need to depend on a draft pick.
TE there's literally no one of worth on the team that are even low-end starting caliber.
CB also will be hurting if Awuzie or CTB has to miss any time.
I just saw a post today that Ezekiel Elliott is deciding between Eagles, Jets, and Bengals, so that's at least some hope for RB.

(03-23-2023, 05:01 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I am not down on him just pointed it out is all.

If Bates doesnt leave the middle of the field that would be one less TD on Hilton....