Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
THIS IS THE WEEK - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: THIS IS THE WEEK (/Thread-THIS-IS-THE-WEEK)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - ochocincos - 09-01-2023

Burrow still has 2 more years under contract including the 5th year option.
Why exactly does he have to have a new deal in place this season?
IMO, the higher priority is what they're doing with Higgins because he's a FA next winter.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - jj22 - 09-01-2023

If they can't get a deal with Burrow this season tho, it's only going to get worse. Much worse when he see's what next year's qb's get that haven't accomplished half of what he has.

I'd argue if the Brown family can't find the money to pay him this offseason, they never will be able to as the price only rises. It's pretty cut and dry.

Can't escrow 180 million this offseason for the guaranteed portion which they have to do, and is a challenge for the cash strapped family owned business. They won't be able to escrow 225m next, and definitely won't be able to escrow 300m after 2025.

We have to remember this is the business for the Browns. This team isn't their tax write-off for their multi billion dollar company they really make their money from.

This money is coming from lil grandbaby Brown's college fund and Katie's inheritance.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - Bengalion - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 03:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: If they can't get a deal with Burrow this season tho, it's only going to get worse. Much worse when he see's what next year's qb's get that haven't accomplished half of what he has.

I'd argue if the Brown family can't find the money to pay him this offseason, they never will be able to as the price only rises. It's pretty cut and dry.

Can't escrow 180 million this offseason for the guaranteed portion which they have to do, and is a challenge for the cash strapped family owned business. They won't be able to escrow 225m next, and definitely won't be able to escrow 300m after 2025.

Do you think there's a reasonable chance we can't sign Joe?

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - BengalBob - 09-01-2023

I understand the anxiousness folks, but it is getting done.

The entire organization has improved dramatically in everything they do in the last few years, and they will not foul this up.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - Clark W Griswold - 09-01-2023

I think this has something to do with them trying to figure out how they are going to pay Higgins and Chase in addition to Burrow. That is what I believe is causing the delay.

The urgency for the new contract is due to the fact that the other franchise QBs in his class have already signed their extensions. Yes there is no real rush but since the other guys already re-upper everyone is wondering why Burrow has not.

(09-01-2023, 03:07 PM)Bengalion Wrote: Do you think there's reasonable chance we can't sign Joe?

I think they will get a deal done, but more than other teams it will effect the roster as the guarantee money just won't be there for other contracts. That doesn't mean Bengals won't be competitive or even a contender.

It just means unlike say the Ravens or Browns, once they sign their Franchise QB, they won't be able to sign players to contracts like OBJ, Clowney, etc. got from the Ravens, or the money the Browns spent on their DL, and Cooper after signing Watson. They won't be able to do what KC did after signing Mahomes (Oline additions Brown/NE guard - I can't think of the name of, and extending Jones, Kelce etc)

They will really have to draft well with an eye on the future. This level of contract Burrow will get will be tough on them.

Without revenue sharing Brown family would have long been out of business.

(09-01-2023, 03:08 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think this has something to do with them trying to figure out how they are going to pay Higgins and Chase in addition to Burrow. That is what I believe is causing the delay.

The urgency for the new contract is due to the fact that the other franchise QBs in his class have already signed their extensions.  Yes there is no real rush but since the other guys already re-upper everyone is wondering why Burrow has not.

I don't think Chase really factors that much right now. They shouldn't be worried about him given they have him for 3 more years (including tag).

And while Burrow I'm sure "loves" Tee, I can't see him stalling on signing 200 guaranteed and risking injury and losing out on it (theoretically) for a "bro".

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - WeezyBengal - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 03:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow still has 2 more years under contract including the 5th year option.
Why exactly does he have to have a new deal in place this season?
IMO, the higher priority is what they're doing with Higgins because he's a FA next winter.

You want him at the best price possible and signing him before next season and the salary cap increase allow you to do that. 

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - WeezyBengal - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 03:07 PM)Bengalion Wrote: Do you think there's a reasonable chance we can't sign Joe?

No. There is 0% chance he isn't re-signed. It's just a matter of when at this point. 

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - BengalsLUFC - 09-01-2023

Florio the first bell end to come out and say Burrow should refuse to play week one.

So it begins, just want this signing now as it’s going to make us a laughing stock (again) if it doesn’t get done.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 03:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No. There is 0% chance he isn't re-signed. It's just a matter of when at this point. 

Completely agree, hope it is before this season though, as you say, the price will just go up if not.

(09-01-2023, 04:09 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Florio the first bell end to come out and say Burrow should refuse to play week one.

So it begins, just want this signing now as it’s going to make us a laughing stock (again) if it doesn’t get done.

What an idiot, no surprise. That would make Florio's day, he clearly doesn't know Joe Burrow at all.

Let's not forget that Florio is a stealer fan and thought Burrow wouldn't play for us and would pull an Eli Manning on us lol

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - StoneTheCrow - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree, hope it is before this season though, as you say, the price will just go up if not.

What an idiot, no surprise. That would make Florio's day, he clearly doesn't know Joe Burrow at all.

Let's not forget that Florio is a stealer fan and thought Burrow wouldn't play for us and would pull an Eli Manning on us lol

That guy is such a toad.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - George Cantstandya - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 04:09 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Florio the first bell end to come out and say Burrow should refuse to play week one.

Absolutely no surprise from Florio.  I used to limit my time on PFT just because of his articles. Some of the other contributors were not too bad though. After they changed the entire format a while back I don't even go there anymore because the website is a bad layout now in my opinion and they got rid of the comments.  The comments were probably the best part at least for entertainment value.

As for Bengals related news the good people here that monitor Twitter (X) and other social media have updates much quicker than PFT and most NFL related websites anyway. That's one big reason I hang out here so much.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - samhain - 09-01-2023

I'm not officially worried until next week gets underway. I still have to admit, I never thought it would get to this point. Once Herbert signed his extension, it felt like Burrow's deal was fairly simple math in terms of value. The wait may or may not necessarily mean anything, but it doesn't seem like business as usual for lack of a better term.

This team will never recover from the beating they will take in the national media if they don't get this done soon.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - Brownshoe - 09-01-2023

I wouldn't be surprised if Burrow is betting on himself to win the SB and MVP to get more money. He still has this year and next year on his rookie contract, so he's probably not worried about it. Or it could just be that the Brown family doesn't have the cash on hand to sign Burrow with the guarantee money he wants, since you have to have it on hand. If Burrow was all about a team friendly deal then why would he have an agent.

RE: THIS IS THE WEEK - George Cantstandya - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 07:20 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Burrow is betting on himself to win the SB and MVP to get more money. He still has this year and next year on his rookie contract, so he's probably not worried about it. Or it could just be that the Brown family doesn't have the cash on hand to sign Burrow with the guarantee money he wants, since you have to have it on hand. If Burrow was all about a team friendly deal then why would he have an agent.

That would be a huge, huge bet.  It's super hard to win a Super Bowl and also MVP. A significant part that also depends on the performance of other team members and coaches.   But right now it isn't so hard to see Burrow getting one of the largest QB contracts based on his accomplishments. Plus another unfortunate injury and it could cost him a ton of money.  I can't see his agent or him wanting to take the gamble since the big money is apparently right here right now.  Strike while the iron is hot.

(09-01-2023, 07:31 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: That would be a huge, huge bet.  It's super hard to win a Super Bowl and also MVP.  A significant part that also depends on the performance of other team members and coaches.   But right now it isn't so hard to see Burrow getting one of the largest QB contracts based on his accomplishments.  Plus another unfortunate injury and it could cost him a ton of money.  I can't see his agent or him wanting to take the gamble since the big money is apparently right here right now.  Strike while the iron is hot.

Standing on his current accomplishments, he probably would stand to lose more than he would gain making that kind of gamble.  I love the Bengals and think they have a real shot, but winning a title is damn hard.  A lot has to go your way in terms of health and the makeup of the league in a particular year.  

Betting on yourself is something a player does when an organization has reasonable doubt about their future with the team and won't fork over money.  Burrow has already proven himself beyond any reasonable hesitation.  This is not Joe Flacco we're talking about.

(09-01-2023, 07:31 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: That would be a huge, huge bet.  It's super hard to win a Super Bowl and also MVP.  A significant part that also depends on the performance of other team members and coaches.   But right now it isn't so hard to see Burrow getting one of the largest QB contracts based on his accomplishments.  Plus another unfortunate injury and it could cost him a ton of money.  I can't see his agent or him wanting to take the gamble since the big money is apparently right here right now.  Strike while the iron is hot.

The only way I see Burrow getting less money by waiting another year to sign a deal is if we don't go to the playoffs (which wouldn't be very likely imo). If he makes the Divisional round, AFFCG, SB or wins the SB it goes up. Each step will increase his contract more and more. If he wins MVP it's going to be even more. Burrow 100% seems like the kind of person who would bet on himself like that. I don't even think it's that big of a bet. He's going to want a ton of money and the Brown family will have to figure out a way to get enough money on hand to pay him the guarantee that he wants. The organization and the fans are wanting him to sign a deal now because we know that what he'll get will just go up every year.

(09-01-2023, 07:46 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The only way I see Burrow getting less money by waiting another year to sign a deal is if we don't go to the playoffs (which wouldn't be very likely imo). If he makes the Divisional round, AFFCG, SB or wins the SB it goes up. Each step will increase his contract more and more. If he wins MVP it's going to be even more. Burrow 100% seems like the kind of person who would bet on himself like that. I don't even think it's that big of a bet. He's going to want a ton of money and the Brown family will have to figure out a way to get enough money on hand to pay him the guarantee that he wants. The organization and the fans are wanting him to sign a deal now because we know that what he'll get will just go up every year.

It's not about less money.  It's about whether the gain is significant enough to take the risk.  Things would need to go well on a level that we've never seen in Cincinnati for it to be a significant gain.  It's possible, but the odds probably don't favor it.

(09-01-2023, 08:36 PM)samhain Wrote: It's not about less money.  It's about whether the gain is significant enough to take the risk.  Things would need to go well on a level that we've never seen in Cincinnati for it to be a significant gain.  It's possible, but the odds probably don't favor it.

You are not factoring the next wave of QB contracts and cap raises. If everything stayed the same, then I would agree.