Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Breaking: Whit to Rams - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Breaking: Whit to Rams (/Thread-Breaking-Whit-to-Rams)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Go Cards - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 01:41 PM)J24 Wrote: The Franchise tag is 13 million they could have kept him for that or negotiated a cheaper deal.

Damn that is salt in the wound. 

This will be a tough year to pay the Bengals that $4,400 check again. 

Could understand if the draft picks had worked out. 

Not really though because he was such a good Bengal that if anybody deserved some cake it was Whit. 

Of course maybe this was leaked to get MB to step it up at last minute ? 

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - OrlandoBengal - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 01:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: However, his 1st year salary is not included in that guaranteed money, so he will make more than $13 mill this year.  I presume they will make his 1st year salary low, but we're probably talking $14-15 mill.

The other thing is that $13 mil guaranteed, presuming it is in the form of signing bonus, gets spread evenly as a cap hit over the term of the contract.  That's $4.5 mil a year.  If they cut him after this year, the bonus from year 3 accelerates and creates $9 mill in dead money for next year, so it really isn't that easy to get out from under until year 3.

Still, two years for a top rated player, even with the age, is not a bad deal at all.  Say they cut him after next year and have $4.5 in dead money.  That is not a big deal, especially when the cap with probably be $20 million over what it is today.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Hoofhearted - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 01:41 PM)J24 Wrote: The Franchise tag is 13 million they could have kept him for that or negotiated a cheaper deal.

Or transition tag @ 12.6 million...

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Shake n Blake - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 01:50 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Damn, the bar ( board)  is packed today!!? Nothing like loosing our best FA to make folks wanna drink and complain...Understandably of course.

It's just big news. I think the board would be more packed after a playoff win, but we may never find out.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - bfine32 - 03-09-2017

Must admit Whit is the one I thought we'd keep and from listening to him in interviews there is no way I thought LA would be the landing spot. Seems Whit was just blowing smoke with the contender talk.

LT just became a major concern.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - BengalD - 03-09-2017

Never fear - I'm absolutely certain they will re-sign Marcus Hunt and say that he is such a rare athletic talent that they are absolutely certain they can move him to the offensive line as a left tackle, and that is was well demonstrated in the few college games he played and blocked a handful of kicks while he was on special teams. 

Wow - it's just hard to see the good ones go.  Thanks for your effort here Whit! Bang Head

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Sabretooth - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 11:48 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Piano man is going to march an alternative line onto the field.
He did that in the 2016 season Cry

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - bfine32 - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 01:42 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You really can't believe this.  He always makes it seem like the Bengals made a great offer, but that the player chose to leave for other reasons.  It is propaganda to say "Mike Brown is not cheap". 

IDK. seems I remember TJ and JJo verifying the team did just that. but it's best to just assume the worst of the Franchise

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - TheLeonardLeap - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 01:38 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Hobson said the Bengals were willing to pay Whit up to $12m for 2017.

(03-09-2017, 01:42 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You really can't believe this.  He always makes it seem like the Bengals made a great offer, but that the player chose to leave for other reasons.  It is propaganda to say "Mike Brown is not cheap". 

See, I actually believe Hobson on this one. If only because of how he worded it.

"up to $12m"

As in.. they probably offered a 1yr/$8m deal, with like $4m in incentives. Thus it would be "up to" $12m.

I can see the Bengals offering Whit 1yr/$8m or something. That's suitably cheap and idiotic for them.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Trademark - 03-09-2017

This one really hurts, Big Whit has been here forever

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - OrlandoBengal - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 02:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK. seems I remember TJ and JJo verifying the team did just that. but it's best to just assume the worst of the Franchise

I could be wrong, but weren't both of those offers significantly less guaranteed money?  If it is less in guarantees, then it is not really a similar deal.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Derrick - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 12:11 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: If they are available. There will be a run on offensive linemen late in the first round and into the second. Personally, I was hoping for Pocic in the 2nd or maybe Orlovsky from West Virginia in the 3rd but those guys are Centers. I think Elflein can play both Center or Guard so that wouldn't be a bad option either in the 2nd round if he's still available. I hate going into a draft HAVING to address a position and if Zeitler goes, Guard is now a position of need along with OT barring them signing a GOOD free-agent.

I still want Rueben Foster in the 1st.
Elflein ISN"T that good. How many players have the Bengals taken because they think the player can play more than one position? Now, show me where that has really worked out well for the pathetic Bengals.

(03-09-2017, 01:02 PM)Paul from Dayton Wrote: Most definitely, its a shame that's what he decided to do...

He is looking out for his family long term, as any of us would. Wink

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - CJD - 03-09-2017

The Bengals better have a ***** good response to this....

Such as, I don't know, signing Zeitler?

If we let both of these guys go, we are so ******.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 02:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Bengals better have a ***** good response to this....

If we let both of these guys go, we are so *****.

"The offensive line is not a concern." - Marvin Lewis

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Trademark - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 02:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Bengals better have a ***** good response to this....

If we let both of these guys go, we are so *****.

Zeitler is as good as gone too

(03-09-2017, 01:11 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: In the worst year for Offensive Tackles in the first round in recent memory....this is all bad

With PA's recent history, could he coach up even talented draft picks ?

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 02:42 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: With PA's recent history, could he coach up even talented draft picks ?

Look what he did to Cedric Ogbuehi: A beast at Texas A&M to a bust in Cincinnati.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - CJD - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 02:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Look what he did to Cedric Ogbuehi: A beast at Texas A&M to a bust in Cincinnati.

What, exactly, is your definition of a beast?

Ogbuehi was a project all the way.

RE: Breaking: Whit to Rams - Bengalholic - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 01:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: However, his 1st year salary is not included in that guaranteed money, so he will make more than $13 mill this year.  I presume they will make his 1st year salary low, but we're probably talking $14-15 mill.

The other thing is that $13 mil guaranteed, presuming it is in the form of signing bonus, gets spread evenly as a cap hit over the term of the contract.  That's $4.5 mil a year.  If they cut him after this year, the bonus from year 3 accelerates and creates $9 mill in dead money for next year, so it really isn't that easy to get out from under until year 3.