Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Volunteering to watch an execution - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Volunteering to watch an execution (/Thread-Volunteering-to-watch-an-execution)

Pages: 1 2

Volunteering to watch an execution - Belsnickel - 05-02-2017

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39535957?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

So what do you all think about this? Is this something you would do? Just curious how people feel about this practice.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - GMDino - 05-02-2017

(05-02-2017, 12:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39535957?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

So what do you all think about this? Is this something you would do? Just curious how people feel about this practice.

Yep.  I've seen people I like die.  One naturally and one in an accident. So seeing a stranger would be easier.

Watching an execution would be interesting.

I am a bit weird that way.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Matt_Crimson - 05-02-2017

(05-02-2017, 12:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39535957?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Volunteer to watch? That's not enough for me. I'd want to volunteer to PERFORM the execution

But in all seriousness I'd probably volunteer once just to experience it. Not for entertainment but to actually feel what it's like to be there and see how the person getting executed reacts to what's happening. I feel like the more horrors you face in life the more real life becomes.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - fredtoast - 05-02-2017

As an insider in the criminal justice system I would know that there was a chance that it would be the murder of an innocent person instead of the execution of a guilty person.

So I could never stand to watch anything like that. When people talk abpouit the worst ways to die suggestions will come up like "Burning", "starving", "torn apart by animals", but no one usually mentions "Being executed as a convicted killer". Noy only do you die, but your entire legacy is destroyed.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Bengalzona - 05-02-2017

If I lost a loved one to violence and was at the execution of the individual who committed the act, I would feel pretty damn uneasy having some "helpful voyeurs" show up just because they think it is really cool to watch someone die.

Kill the dude and be done with it. But I really don't want to hear about how "this is the 5th execution we've seen and it was the best one yet!!!"

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - BmorePat87 - 05-02-2017

(05-02-2017, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As an insider in the criminal justice system I would know that there was a chance that it would be the murder of an innocent person instead of the execution of a guilty person.

So I could never stand to watch anything like that.  When people talk abpouit the worst ways to die suggestions will come up like "Burning", "starving", "torn apart by animals", but no one usually mentions "Being executed as a convicted killer".  Noy only do you die, but your entire legacy is destroyed.

It's a practice that should be done away with. The fact that 1 innocent man or woman could die is enough for me to call for only giving life without parole and not the death penalty. Not to mention it costs much more. 

(05-02-2017, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As an insider in the criminal justice system I would know that there was a chance that it would be the murder of an innocent person instead of the execution of a guilty person.

So I could never stand to watch anything like that.  When people talk abpouit the worst ways to die suggestions will come up like "Burning", "starving", "torn apart by animals", but no one usually mentions "Being executed as a convicted killer".  Noy only do you die, but your entire legacy is destroyed.

(05-02-2017, 02:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's a practice that should be done away with. The fact that 1 innocent man or woman could die is enough for me to call for only giving life without parole and not the death penalty. Not to mention it costs much more. 

I'm with you both on the idea, but in the case of someone like Gacy, or Bundy, or whomever we were certain about I'd agree to watch.

I hope no one will interpret my fascination with seeing it as a support for the act itself.

(05-02-2017, 02:34 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: If I lost a loved one to violence and was at the execution of the individual who committed the act, I would feel pretty damn uneasy having some "helpful voyeurs" show up just because they think it is really cool to watch someone die.

Kill the dude and be done with it. But I really don't want to hear about how "this is the 5th execution we've seen and it was the best one yet!!!"

I can understand this too. I suppose if they mandate witnesses you have to have volunteers if the family won't do it.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Fan_in_Kettering - 05-02-2017

Society can be adequately protected by incarcerating a murderer for life. The end result is the same as the death penalty -- the inmate dies in prison -- but on a date set by God, not by the state.

(05-02-2017, 02:34 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: If I lost a loved one to violence and was at the execution of the individual who committed the act, I would feel pretty damn uneasy having some "helpful voyeurs" show up just because they think it is really cool to watch someone die.

Screw talking about executons. Who Is that in your sig?

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Benton - 05-02-2017

One of my papers covers my state's only maximum security prison, and the only one to perform executions. Three have been conducted (I think) since 76, with two abstaining the appeals process and requesting their executions. I was at the last one, Marco Chapman, in 2008.

Doing a story on it and over the vigil against the execution changed a lot of my beliefs. I wasn't strongly for or against before, but I'm firmly against executions now.

It's weird at a prison for everyone involved. There's (at least in the one I was involved with) a lot of respect for the process and what's about to happen. i've been to KSP a dozen times and it's never much different. But that day it was like a library. Nobody spoke, no one made eye contact, everybody just went through routines.

(05-02-2017, 04:13 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Screw talking about executons. Who Is that in your sig?

The red angus in the foreground is Herb and the one in the back is Beatrice. ThumbsUp

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - bfine32 - 05-02-2017

Not getting into the debate of Capital punishment, because I do not believe that is the motivation of the OP. But as to the question asked: These executions must be viewed, if we don't have volunteers you may be mandated to do so and that's a whole other can of worms. So I have no issue with those that volunteer to take on the civic duty.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Benton - 05-02-2017

(05-02-2017, 04:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not getting into the debate of Capital punishment, because I do not believe that is the motivation of the OP. But as to the question asked: These executions must be viewed, if we don't have volunteers you may be mandated to do so and that's a whole other can of worms. So I have no issue with those that volunteer to take on the civic duty.

Why?

I understand the concept of avoiding mistakes, but (I'm assuming) that dates back to a different time. Now, executions are viewed by prison staff, medical workers, clergy, family (if they chose) and at least three members of the media (although that does depend on state law from my understanding).

I'm not sure why a chimney sweeper must be there when there's already several people not involved with the prison system.

(05-02-2017, 04:26 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The red angus in the foreground is Herb and the one in the back is Beatrice. ThumbsUp

Well played my friend. Well played.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - TheLeonardLeap - 05-02-2017

(05-02-2017, 03:20 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Society can be adequately protected by incarcerating a murderer for life.  The end result is the same as the death penalty -- the inmate dies in prison -- but on a date set by God, not by the state.

Pay for Dylan Roof for the next 60-70 years... or... just kill the little psychopath and get it over with.

Not a hard choice for me. Being a volunteer witness or whatever is just weird, though.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Millhouse - 05-02-2017

Probably not, unless it was somehow personal to me. But overall I am not the biggest proponent of the current death penalty system as it is a major drain on taxpayers. I am in favor of it though for certain people that cause mass harm on others like the Timothy McVeighs of the world. So I guess if I am partially in favor of it, then I should partially should be able to go watch it happen, if that makes sense.

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - bfine32 - 05-02-2017

(05-02-2017, 04:52 PM)Benton Wrote: Why?

I understand the concept of avoiding mistakes, but (I'm assuming) that dates back to a different time. Now, executions are viewed by prison staff, medical workers, clergy, family (if they chose) and at least three members of the media (although that does depend on state law from my understanding).

I'm not sure why a chimney sweeper must be there when there's already several people not involved with the prison system.

I suppose it would be best to have an unbiased audience. To collaborate/refute any claims of injustice, ect.....

RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - NATI BENGALS - 05-02-2017

We should throw like 10 out of a plane at the same time. One parachute. And whoever gets the parachute can be north Korea's problem.

(05-02-2017, 05:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pay for Dylan Roof for the next 60-70 years... or... just kill the little psychopath and get it over with.

Not a hard choice for me. Being a volunteer witness or whatever is just weird, though.

That's sorta sums up how I feel about it.

Some people need to be put down, IMO. But that doesn't mean it should be a joyful spectacle. Just sober business and get her done.