Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Most influential "outsider" in team history? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Most influential "outsider" in team history? (/Thread-Most-influential-outsider-in-team-history)

Most influential "outsider" in team history? - jowczarski - 07-02-2017

How could it not be Joe Montana?

And Jerry Rice had a role, too -- and he unveiled a hidden motivation to wanting to play well in SB XXIII -- and he was on the Bengals' sideline:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/06/30/cincinnati-bengals-50-joe-montana-and-jerry-rice/366614001/

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - xxlt - 07-03-2017

I was thinking you could make a case for Bill Walsh, but I guess he is more of an "inside outsider."

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - Wyche'sWarrior - 07-03-2017

Rice's motivation.......ANOTHER bite in a LONG line of Bengals' snakebites! Sad

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - jowczarski - 07-05-2017

@xxlt - you're right about that. Got to Walsh today. We included him as an organizational guy since he started with the Bengals and invented the "west coast" offense in Cincinnati. Bedinghaus was an outsider when he had the stadium deal done. So it's semantics, in a way, but important ones we thought.

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-08-2017

How could it not be Art Modell?

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - SHRacerX - 07-09-2017

(07-08-2017, 08:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How could it not be Art Modell?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - BengalHawk62 - 07-11-2017

God, I just want to cry after reading that.  To this day, I still hate that franchise.   secretly, deep down I relish the Colin Kapernick drama there. That ass-hat franchise deserves that kind of notoriety after the 80's and early 90's. 

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - jowczarski - 07-13-2017

@oncemoreuntothejim @SHRacerX – Art Modell. Totally fair.

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - Fan_in_Kettering - 07-17-2017

Kimo von Oelhoffen.

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - BengalHawk62 - 07-19-2017

(07-17-2017, 05:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Didn't Kimo play in Cincy for a year or two?  Wasn't he drafted by the Bengals?

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - Bengal Dude - 07-19-2017

(07-19-2017, 02:56 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Didn't Kimo play in Cincy for a year or two?  Wasn't he drafted by the Bengals?

Yes. 6th round pick. He played here for 5 seasons. He was a D2 coach a couple of years ago. Not sure what he's up to now.

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-29-2017

The reason I say Art Modell is that if he didn't fire Paul Brown as coach, Paul Brown most likely wouldn't have founded the Bengals in Cincinnati. The firing is the reason why Brown picked Cincinnat, to stay in state. The name Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns; both CB. The old baseball hats for the fans just had "CB" on them. The colors orange and black instead of orange and brown. The 70s uniforms are very similar.

Much of the stuff Paul Brown did was to F with Art Modell. Paul Brown was punking Art Modell decades before Punked entered the American lexicon.

Jim, maybe you could interview veteran players who played under Paul Brown to get stories about the Brown/Modell rivalry. I would be interested to read stories from Cleveland Browns players on the receiving end as well.

If schadenfruede was a Madden rating, Paul's rating would be 99.

RE: Most influential "outsider" in team history? - Lawless_1 - 08-05-2017

Hines Ward and Ben Roethlesberger get my vote.