Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I was racially profiled!!!! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: I was racially profiled!!!! (/Thread-I-was-racially-profiled)

Pages: 1 2

I was racially profiled!!!! - PhilHos - 08-25-2017

In order to get a clear picture, let me give you a reminder that I am a 6 foot tall white male that is overweight (basically, I'm a taller version of Kevin James). I also sport a thick mustache-goatee combo and while I normally have a buzz cut, I'm in need of a hair cut (so think thick).

Now, my wife and I only have one car between the 2 of us, so she normally drops me off at work. More accurately, she drops me off at the gas station near my job so I can buy a drink and lunch for work and then it takes me about 5 minutes to get to work from there.

This morning my wife drops me off, I get my usual BBQ Pringles and a 1-liter of Mountain Dew and head to work. As I cross one of the streets, I find myself a black guy in a black, long-sleeved hoodie with the hood up. So I'm following this guy as we're heading in the same direction and I notice he keeps looking back at me. The first time I paid no mind thinking he probably sensed me and just was checking to see if a person was behind him. But, then he is constantly glancing back at me and I'm starting to get annoyed, like what? I work at a bank, so I have to dress professionally and though it's Friday and I don't wear a tie, I'm still dressed in a polo shirt and khakis (think Jake from State Farm but a black shirt and green khaki pants).

We get to the next corner and he stops and I continue on and turns out, he's not black but hispanic! (He did have a rockin' mustache, btw.)

Now, I honestly don't believe I was racially profiled (Hah! Gotcha with my clickbait title!). I did find it interesting, though, that I apparently disturbed this guy enough for him to keep glancing back at me. It's not like he was walking so slow that I would be expected to pass him. And it wasn't like he was speed-walking and I was keeping pace.

Thoughts on why this guy was bothered by a tall, fat, white man with a goatee?

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - Au165 - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 10:09 AM)PhilHos Wrote: In order to get a clear picture, let me give you a reminder that I am a 6 foot tall white male that is overweight (basically, I'm a taller version of Kevin James). I also sport a thick mustache-goatee combo and while I normally have a buzz cut, I'm in need of a hair cut (so think thick).

Now, my wife and I only have one car between the 2 of us, so she normally drops me off at work. More accurately, she drops me off at the gas station near my job so I can buy a drink and lunch for work and then it takes me about 5 minutes to get to work from there.

This morning my wife drops me off, I get my usual BBQ Pringles and a 1-liter of Mountain Dew and head to work. As I cross one of the streets, I find myself a black guy in a black, long-sleeved hoodie with the hood up. So I'm following this guy as we're heading in the same direction and I notice he keeps looking back at me. The first time I paid no mind thinking he probably sensed me and just was checking to see if a person was behind him. But, then he is constantly glancing back at me and I'm starting to get annoyed, like what? I work at a bank, so I have to dress professionally and though it's Friday and I don't wear a tie, I'm still dressed in a polo shirt and khakis (think Jake from State Farm but a black shirt and green khaki pants).

We get to the next corner and he stops and I continue on and turns out, he's not black but hispanic! (He did have a rockin' mustache, btw.)

Now, I honestly don't believe I was racially profiled (Hah! Gotcha with my clickbait title!). I did find it interesting, though, that I apparently disturbed this guy enough for him to keep glancing back at me. It's not like he was walking so slow that I would be expected to pass him. And it wasn't like he was speed-walking and I was keeping pace.

Sometimes people are paranoid. Maybe you just creeped him out?

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - TheLeonardLeap - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 10:09 AM)PhilHos Wrote: In order to get a clear picture, let me give you a reminder that I am a 6 foot tall white male that is overweight (basically, I'm a taller version of Kevin James). I also sport a thick mustache-goatee combo and while I normally have a buzz cut, I'm in need of a hair cut (so think thick).

He was wondering why someone who isn't a teenager would drink that sugary syrup swill?   Ninja Ninja Ninja

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - jason - 08-25-2017

He knows George Zimmerman is still out there somewhere.

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - Benton - 08-25-2017

1- To the bold, the latter begets the former.
2- The guy probably wouldn't have been so nervous if your junk hadn't been hanging out of your pants.
3- I actually had a few similar experiences the last couple weeks. I do some of our high school sports reporting. Fall sports start in August when it's 160 degrees, so I usually shave my head the first couple weeks so I'm not standing on the sidelines dealing with wet old guy hair.

I didn't think anything about it... except I've made two trips to St. Louis this month, same time as the monument stuff and Nazis. For those unfamiliar, St Louis has a diverse population. When I was out with my wife and daughter, no big deal. But whenever I ran to a gas station or was wandering around Dave & Busters looking for a restroom, I noticed I got a lot of stares. I thought about getting my press pass out and pinning it on my shirt, but I don't know what this country hates more at the moment, Nazis or journalists. Which is comically sad.

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - PhilHos - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 10:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: Sometimes people are paranoid. Maybe you just creeped him out?

You think I shouldn't have smiled so big the entire time I was behind him? Ninja

(08-25-2017, 10:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He was wondering why someone who isn't a teenager would drink that sugary syrup swill?   Ninja Ninja Ninja

To be fair, they didn't have any Dr. Pepper.

(08-25-2017, 10:18 AM)jason Wrote: He knows George Zimmerman is still out there somewhere.

I can see that. He's hispanic and I'm white. He's clean shaven and I have a goatee. It's like we're twins!  Mellow
(08-25-2017, 10:25 AM)Benton Wrote: 1- To the bold, the latter begets the former.
2- The guy probably wouldn't have been so nervous if your junk hadn't been hanging out of your pants.
3- I actually had a few similar experiences the last couple weeks. I do some of our high school sports reporting. Fall sports start in August when it's 160 degrees, so I usually shave my head the first couple weeks so I'm not standing on the sidelines dealing with wet old guy hair.

I didn't think anything about it... except I've made two trips to St. Louis this month, same time as the monument stuff and Nazis. For those unfamiliar, St Louis has a diverse population. When I was out with my wife and daughter, no big deal. But whenever I ran to a gas station or was wandering around Dave & Busters looking for a restroom, I noticed I got a lot of stares. I thought about getting my press pass out and pinning it on my shirt, but I don't know what this country hates more at the moment, Nazis or journalists. Which is comically sad.

1- It's not like I don't know why I'm fat there, buddy.
2- But, it's an unusually mild morning! Little Ulysses needs some air, too.
3- That has nothing to do with my story. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Mellow

(08-25-2017, 10:25 AM)Benton Wrote: 1- To the bold, the latter begets the former.

I know the feeling. I shave my head, and have several tattoos from my youth. It's just a played out stereotype though. I didn't notice too many guys at the Unite the Right rally that look like me.

(08-25-2017, 10:39 AM)PhilHos Wrote: You think I shouldn't have smiled so big the entire time I was behind him? Ninja

To be fair, they didn't have any Dr. Pepper.

I can see that. He's hispanic and I'm white. He's clean shaven and I have a goatee. It's like we're twins!  Mellow

1- It's not like I don't know why I'm fat there, buddy.
2- But, it's an unusually mild morning! Little Ulysses needs some air, too.

Mellow

I know ol' George is Hispanic. But you thought the Hispanic you were following (see what I did there?) was black.

(08-25-2017, 10:48 AM)jason Wrote: I know ol' George is Hispanic. But you thought the Hispanic you were following (see what I did there?) was black.

Your mom goes to college. Mad

(08-25-2017, 10:39 AM)PhilHos Wrote:  

Mellow

I am, but that's not related to either of our stories.

(08-25-2017, 10:42 AM)jason Wrote: I know the feeling. I shave my head, and have several tattoos from my youth. It's just a played out stereotype though. I didn't notice too many guys at the Unite the Right rally that look like me.

These days, I think a guy with short hair and tattoos is probably the guy least likely to be an idiot.

(08-25-2017, 11:03 AM)Benton Wrote: These days, I think a guy with short hair and tattoos is probably the guy least likely to be an idiot.

Let me guess, you have short hair and tattoos.  Mellow

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-25-2017

You just profiled yourself. Twice.

Maybe the guy was thinking, "Is that Kevin James or Jake from State Farm following me?"

(08-25-2017, 10:25 AM)Benton Wrote:  Fall sports start in August when it's 160 degrees, so I usually shave my head the first couple weeks so I'm not standing on the sidelines dealing with wet old guy hair.

(08-25-2017, 11:15 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Let me guess, you have short hair and tattoos.  Mellow

Where would you get that idea?

Mellow

And I only have one tattoo. Nobody ever sees it though.

#trampstamp
#dolphinsinflight

(08-25-2017, 11:22 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: 1. You just profiled yourself. Twice.

2. Maybe the guy was thinking, "Is that Kevin James or Jake from State Farm following me?"

1. I'm allowed to profile myself. It's like black people are allowed to use the 'N' word. Mellow

2. Just thinking about that is cracking me up. I'm going to get in trouble at work and it'll all be your fault. Mad

(08-25-2017, 11:24 AM)Benton Wrote: Where would you get that idea?

Mellow

And I only have one tattoo. Nobody ever sees it though.

#trampstamp
#dolphinsinflight

#TMI Mellow

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - BengalHawk62 - 08-25-2017

He probably thought he was going to get mugged and beaten to an inch of his life by a can of pringles and that liter of cola you had, Farva.

(08-25-2017, 03:15 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: He probably thought he was going to get mugged and beaten to an inch of his life by a can of pringles and that liter of cola you had, Farva.

He shouldn't have been worried. I used the Pringles can for my Bane impression. Ninja

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 11:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: 1. I'm allowed to profile myself. It's like black people are allowed to use the 'N' word. Mellow

2. Just thinking about that is cracking me up. I'm going to get in trouble at work and it'll all be your fault. Mad

#TMI Mellow

Maybe he is still upset at you over Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2?

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - Yojimbo - 08-25-2017

Probably thought you were ICE.

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - TheLeonardLeap - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 05:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Maybe he is still upset at you over Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2?

Why start at 2? Lol

RE: I was racially profiled!!!! - BengalHawk62 - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 03:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He shouldn't have been worried. I used the Pringles can for my Bane impression. Ninja

Maybe he was waiting for you to say Shenanigans right meow.