Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burfict facing suspension - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burfict facing suspension (/Thread-Burfict-facing-suspension)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Burfict facing suspension - rfaulk34 - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 01:19 PM)Synric Wrote: After my initial anger subsided about this suspension I feel I can see the situation more clearly.

There is a new 2017 NFL rule about the exact play that is in question. Burfict is a perfect candidate to send a message to the rest of the league about how that rule is going to be enforced. Why is Burfict a perfect target? First his Stigma he's accrued in college and the Pros. Secondly it's the Bengals a small market team that doesn't put out the revenue to off set a losing season.  I predict Burfict will be suspended 4 games and Ezekiel Elliot will be suspended 2.

He did the same thing to a Ravens tight end...last year i think?...that's probably where that rule came from. 

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Atomic Orange - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 03:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Did the same thing against Antonio Brown in the playoffs, only that was actual arm/shoulder contact to the head.
Every time I see Burfict involved in one of these "controversial" hits, it's because the ball was overthrown but Burfict would have hit said player right at the same time if the ball was thrown right at them.

I don't see how Burfict is supposed to watch the player and the ball at the same time.

Yes sir. Except i'm not sure he would have hit Brown in the head if Williams (?) wasn't making a play from behind thus forcing Browns head down directly into Tezs' shoulder.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - rfaulk34 - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 02:01 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Based on the new rule, it will be hard to win the appeal. He did come in from the side and the receiver was technically defenseless. 

However a suspension for 5 games for a hit that wasnt to the head is wrong. If anything for breaking this new rule, it should just be a warning with a fine, even with his dirty history. 

He hit him straight on, square up to the LOS...and even if we're talking about the positioning of the potential receiver...he hit him in the chest, not the side.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Big Boss - 08-28-2017

It is what it is.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 04:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He did the same thing to a Ravens tight end...last year i think?...that's probably where that rule came from. 

It was the Ravens, but I don't remember if it was last year, or year before.  Anyway, I remember it as being more like after a play was pretty much over, and the two were on the back end of it.  That hit seemed much more egregious than this one.  I wouldn't have blamed the league if they had suspended on that hit.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Bengalfan4life27c - 08-28-2017

public opinion is definitely on our side on this regardless of biased media outlets. 65% on pft said hit was legal. Fans of other teams generally don't like us. Derrick Brooks a former LB is one of the 2 judges in the appeal. Hopefully the appeal goes well.
l

b

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Murdock2420 - 08-28-2017

Never have I reached this point, but any games that Burfict is suspended for over this I will not support in any way. Would love to start a petition and get enough support for it that the goons in the league offices would just **** off already.

Would be nice to see a major company...like P&G that is a local, hometown company, tell the league they will not buy advertising if the witch hunt continues.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Millhouse - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 04:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He hit him straight on, square up to the LOS...and even if we're talking about the positioning of the potential receiver...he hit him in the chest, not the side.

I saw another angle of it, and at the minimum he hit him at a 45 degree angle based on looking at this. So I guess the question is what constitutes what the side is. And he hit him high in the chest /shoulder pad. Of course the NFL can say that is part of the neck area now. Who knows, they have a million rules and even then they need rules for the rules.

0:23 second mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udOvrbY-TxA

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Ricky Spanish - 08-28-2017

Worst case this should be a small fine and a warning. 5 games is absolutely ridiculous

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Bengalfan4life27c - 08-28-2017

Im hoping this gets reduced to 25k on appeal for violating spirit of the rule change. The league can save face and Burfict knows he messes up[ again it can be very bad. I feel it will be a win for all parties involved.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - michaelsean - 08-28-2017

This is utterly ridiculous. He's doing his job by knocking down a receiver trying to run underneath. Smith threw the ball right over his head. Burfict doesn't know where it's going, just that it's in the direction of the guy he's responsible for. The hit itself was clean. It's beyond insanity that they can look at this play and deem it illegal.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Atomic Orange - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 02:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The 5 yard rule doesnt apply here though, because as the NFL says he came in from the side. And they will say he hit him just below the neck area. Now if Burfict had hit him head on (well without any heads involved), then it would have been legal within 5 yards. 

For the record, I am not a fan of this rule change overall, especially hitting from the side part of it. Hitting a defenseless receiver from behind, ok, I can see that. Hitting the helmet, ok, fine. But hitting from the side leaves it up to too much interpretation imo.

Receivers can go from front to side in a blink of a eye. 

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Marlon23 - 08-28-2017

5 Games for a Preseason Hit. This is absolutely, cause the Commissioner hates, #55

RE: Burfict facing suspension - RetroBengal - 08-28-2017

Next.... No tackling, it too dangerous!

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Hammerstripes - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 04:54 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: 5 Games for a Preseason Hit.  This is absolutely, cause the Commissioner hates, #55

Or quite possibly because he is a repeat offender - on several occasions.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - michaelsean - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 05:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Or quite possibly because he is a repeat offender - on several occasions.

So repeat offenders get suspended for legal hits?

RE: Burfict facing suspension - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-28-2017

(08-28-2017, 12:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I like the way Burfict plays most of the time, but not a fan of his cheapshot tactics he has used at various times. For one, I dont like cheapshots in the game at any level. Secondly, it will eventually catch up to the player and hurt the team via a suspension & ejections. If this does get appealed which it should, it is just a matter of time before he actually does do something really stupid which will hurt the team by losing him.

Never like cheapshots. But last year he played clean and that needs to be taken into account here.

This wasn't a cheapshot either.

A couple years ago your thoughts would ring true but not as of late.

Burfict is our Captain on Defense and is simply feared now cause he is one of the best Linebackers in the league.

It is not cause he is dirty anymore. He just hits too damn hard for these wusses. Mellow

RE: Burfict facing suspension - masonbengals fan - 08-28-2017

Complete bullshit

RE: Burfict facing suspension - XenoMorph - 08-28-2017

They might as well shut it down.... Its too insensitive to the non atheletic that want millions to play with their balls.

RE: Burfict facing suspension - GodFather - 08-28-2017

If that was a player from the Steelers, people would be calling it a great clean hit... smh