Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse (/Thread-California-Jail-Time-Possible-For-Pronoun-Misuse)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - TheLeonardLeap - 10-11-2017

Even if it's unlikely to happen, the fact remains that you can serve up to a year in jail now in California for not using the pronoun someone tells you they prefer. That means the punishment for knowingly spreading HIV in California is now less than refusing to refer to someone as "They" if that's their preferred form. I have no problem with people doing as they please with their body, but that only goes so far as it doesn't effect me. The fact that they have word/thought police in California is an alarming precedent.

(Normally wouldn't use a foxnews source, but I went to cnn and did a search in their bar and couldn't find a source there, and I refuse to use breitbart or something.)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/09/new-california-law-allows-jail-time-for-using-wrong-gender-pronoun-sponsor-denies-that-would-happen.html
Quote:California health care workers who “willfully and repeatedly” decline to use a senior transgender patient's “preferred name or pronouns” could face punishments ranging from a fine to jail time under a newly signed law.

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed the legislation last week.

The sponsor, Democratic state Sen. Scott Wiener, has argued adamantly that nobody is going to be criminally prosecuted for using the wrong pronoun.

“It’s just more scare tactics by people who oppose all LGBT civil rights and protections,” he said in a statement last month.

But the language seemingly allows for the possibility, however remote.

The bill itself is aimed at protecting transgender and other LGBT individuals in hospitals, retirement homes and assisted living facilities. The bill would ensure those facilities accommodate transgender people and their needs, including letting them decide which gender-specific bathroom they prefer to use.

"It shall be unlawful for a long-term care facility or facility staff to take any of the following actions wholly or partially on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status," the bill reads.

Among the unlawful actions are “willfully and repeatedly” failing to use a transgender person’s “preferred name or pronouns” after he or she is “clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns.”

The law states that if provisions are violated, the violator could be punished by a fine “not to exceed one thousand dollars” or “by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed one year,” or both.

Wiener's office noted that violations for residential care facilities under existing law rarely resulted in criminal charges, especially for minor violations. Criminal penalties are meant more for violations that expose a patient to risk of death or serious harm, his office said.

Wiener’s office noted that the law “does not create any new criminal provisions,” but rather creates “new rights within an existing structure.”

One opponent of the law, the California Family Council's Greg Burt, slammed the measure when the bill was in its early stages.

“How can you believe in free speech, but think the government can compel people to use certain pronouns when talking to others?” he said to the California Assembly Judiciary Committee in August, according to CBN News.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - StLucieBengal - 10-11-2017

lol California.

I would certainly be in trouble in that state.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - GMDino - 10-11-2017

Seems like overkill. But then given how many problems those places have with just providing awful care while draining bank accounts of their patients another law won't hurt them too much.

(10-11-2017, 01:03 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: lol California.

Probably. Because it says: “willfully and repeatedly” Smirk

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - Belsnickel - 10-11-2017

Yeah, this won't get shot down in a judicial challenge at all.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - Au165 - 10-11-2017

Yea, it is a waste of money to even try to defend that in court.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - BmorePat87 - 10-11-2017

(10-11-2017, 08:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, this won't get shot down in a judicial challenge at all.

They could argue it's harassment. Not knowing anything about California law, I'm not sure what the current penalties for that are. 

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - GMDino - 10-11-2017

(10-11-2017, 09:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They could argue it's harassment. Not knowing anything about California law, I'm not sure what the current penalties for that are. 

I'm sure some over aggressive prosecutor will try to take someone to court over it...it will just be hare to prove that it was  “willfully and repeatedly”.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-11-2017

(10-11-2017, 01:03 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: lol California.

lol Lucie.

I really hope you can get your multiple personalities on the same page.

I think you would be a'ight because:

1) you falsely claimed you were suspended for calling someone a virgin, not for pronoun usage, remember? I tested that hypothesis by calling you a virgin and I'm still here thus proving that another blatant lie.

2) you're clearly not a healthcare worker

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - Benton - 10-11-2017

(10-11-2017, 09:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They could argue it's harassment. Not knowing anything about California law, I'm not sure what the current penalties for that are. 

My first thought when reading the article is "Unnecessary law, if it's that bad just use existing harassment statutes."

So, I'll stick with that.  Smirk

Seriously, we don't need more laws. We need to allow courts to use common sense in applying things already on the books. If you go into anywhere (hospital, workplace, DMV, etc), and have to deal with someone who insists on insulting you, that's harassment. Every state has some law already on the books to deal with it, whether it's civil or criminal. 

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - JustWinBaby - 10-11-2017

What are they going to do when an illegal in a sanctuary city uses the wrong pronoun?!?

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - StLucieBengal - 10-11-2017

(10-11-2017, 11:28 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: lol Lucie.

I really hope you can get your multiple personalities on the same page.

I think you would be a'ight because:

1) you falsely claimed you were suspended for calling someone a virgin, not for pronoun usage, remember? I tested that hypothesis by calling you a virgin and I'm still here thus proving that another blatant lie.

2) you're clearly not a healthcare worker

The mods won't verify it so it's pointless.

Try Spending a week referring to someone as a virgin and make sure you have the same 3-5 people who constantly report posts report it. Then we can see what happens.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - Nately120 - 10-11-2017

If you don't want to get in trouble you should obey the the police, PC or otherwise.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-11-2017

(10-11-2017, 05:47 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The mods won't verify it so it's pointless.

Try Spending a week referring to someone as a virgin and make sure you have the same 3-5 people who constantly report posts report it. Then we can see what happens.

So you called someone a virgin once and nothing happened. But, you repeatedly violated the Code of Conduct.

So not the same thing. Even if I believed your lie. Which I don't.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - StLucieBengal - 10-12-2017

Saw this dude working at the Walmart check out this evening. He actually had a button on with his preferred pronoun lol. Her, she, and I can't remember the last one. Made sure to call him fella, buddy, and young man during my checkout.

Had he not had the ridiculous button I would have just avoided him as much as possible as everyone else was trying to do.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - StLucieBengal - 10-12-2017

(10-11-2017, 06:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So you called someone a virgin once and nothing happened. But, you repeatedly violated the Code of Conduct.

So not the same thing. Even if I believed your lie. Which I don't.

Calling someone a virgin 4 times in a week shouldn't be an issue. Especially when said person bragged about it on the board.

But that's in the past now.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 12:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Saw this dude working at the Walmart check out this evening. He actually had a button on with his preferred pronoun lol. Her, she, and I can't remember the last one. Made sure to call him fella, buddy, and young man during my checkout.

Had he not had the ridiculous button I would have just avoided him as much as possible as everyone else was trying to do.

Yeah, never happened.

You're afraid to tell me your anniversary so you sure as hell don't have the courage call someone fella, buddy, or young man unless it is from behind your keyboard.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 12:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Calling someone a virgin 4 times in a week shouldn't be an issue. Especially when said person bragged about it on the board.

But that's in the past now.

Wait, first you gave the impression you called someone a virgin one time, then your story changed to repeatedly all week, now your story has changed again to only four times. Damn, no wonder you can't remember your fake anniversary.

(10-12-2017, 01:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, never happened.

You're afraid to tell me your anniversary so you sure as hell don't have the courage call someone fella, buddy, or young man unless it is from behind your keyboard.

What's funny is that you the known stalker on this forum think you are going to somehow bully or shame me into telling you personal information.

Comical.

You and your other stalker buddies can stalk someone else on social media. It's comical here to watch you look like a chump, but I don't need you in any part of my life outside of this forum.

(10-12-2017, 01:56 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What's funny is that you the known stalker on this forum think you are going to somehow bully or shame me into telling you personal information.

Comical.

You and your other stalker buddies can stalk someone else on social media. It's comical here to watch you look like a chump, but I don't need you in any part of my life outside of this forum.

Hmmm, what's this Tyrone?

(10-12-2017, 02:44 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Na have one in Judo and one in show jumping. We are just fine.

Yeah, you never give out personal information. Must be why you're using Tommy's picture.

August 2nd. Ooh, so scary.

RE: California: Jail Time Possible For Pronoun Misuse - GMDino - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 12:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Saw this dude working at the Walmart check out this evening.   He actually had a button on with his preferred pronoun lol.   Her, she, and I can't remember the last one.    Made sure to call him fella, buddy, and young man during my checkout.  

(10-12-2017, 01:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, never happened.

It's possible.  Ex gym teacher would love to bully someone in real life too.  Probably a person a lot smaller though.