Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY (/Thread-EIFERT-OPTING-FOR-SEASON-ENDING-BACK-SURGERY)

Pages: 1 2 3

EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - kevin - 10-19-2017

I'm not going into sources because there are many all over internet to Google or whatever.  One says Eifert has played his last game as a Bengal and that makes sense. He becomes a Free Agent after this season and not much reason to keep a guy that hasn't played much in 2 years and was often injured before that.  I would say add TE to a Bengals need in 2018 draft. Maybe not Round 1, but certainly an early round.  When the Bengals took Eifert round 1, they really needed a WR and had Gresham.  Bengals said the top WR's were off the board but Eifert although a TE was also a WR type out of Notre Dame.   Yes, he could get down field like a Bob Trumpy, but he got injured more at TE than Trumpy.  Trumpy could actually block, catch in the middle and it took 2 or 3 tacklers sometimes to bring him down.  Eifert was never more than a WR that lined up at TE, but he got real injured.   So with Gresham long gone and Eifert as good as gone the Bengals could use a real TE.  Bengals could use more blocking on which we all agree.  Instead of a WR type at TE, the Bengals really need a TE that can block, has big TE size to take on NFL defenses, and can catch.  Maybe more of a tight end type than a wide receiver type.  A true TE at TE.  I might mention Dan Ross in Super Bowl years could block and catch.  Look, an NFL TE takes a pounding in the NFL and many of these WR's put at TE just can't take the beatings. Bengals should really go for a true TE that can block, take the in the middle catch hit pounding, and can also be a TD option in the red zone with some size, say 6'5" to 6'8" that weighs 260 or 270 pounds to be an O Lineman but not a 300 pound tubby. Basketball has guys this size with speed and I'm sure there are some true TE's with this size and speed to be able to not be injured all the time as an NFL TE. Plus we play in the AFC North where you need run blocking out of a TE, and you have to man up big against Steelers and Ravens and Browns. Often this is a big boy, hard hitting, cold weather division of many Super Bowl trophies. Steelers and Ravens have had success with big tough blocking TE's that can catch some. An AFC NORTH TE must be tall, big and able to block. Not a division for WR types at TE because Ohio, Pittsburg and Baltimore ain't the track field West Coast. I have seen Steelers and Ravens draft these Zach Miller types and I just say, " OH NO ", because they were monsters. Big huge O Linemen that could run block, pass block but also a load to tackle if they caught the ball. The idea Bengals might have to deal with such a monster the next 10 years was scary. That's the type monster TE we need to be looking for. Just a big tough run and pass blocker with O lineman size that can catch. Let Steelers and Ravens deal with our monster for a change.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - Clep - 10-19-2017

Little late? It will be interesting to see if the Bengals tag him. One thing you have to ask yourself - are you okay with seeing Eifert succeed somewhere else when he’s healthy? If not.... I think he’s worth the franchise tag for at least one more year. He’s too talented imo

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - kevin - 10-19-2017

(10-19-2017, 10:36 PM)Clep Wrote: Little late? It will be interesting to see if the Bengals tag him. One thing you have to ask yourself - are you okay with seeing Eifert succeed somewhere else when he’s healthy? If not.... I think he’s worth the franchise tag for at least one more year. He’s too talented imo
YES, YES and YES.....If Eifert goes someplace else and does good, I'm OK with it......The facts are he is a very fragile TE like glass.  He just can't lay on the hits or take the hits and that's not good for an O Lineman and TE is indeed an O Lineman. ....I myself would NOT franchise tag him.  I don't see any upside to Eifert anymore.  Plus I don't see his injuries getting better the older he gets, just the opposite....No, it's time to get a true strong big TE in here to block and protect Dalton and block for Mixon and other RBs to pop them open.  More of a big huge blocking TE that can catch and takes a few guys to tackle him. A big tall weapon in the Red Zone on blocking or catching. .....I doubt Eifert does anything for another team, but if he does, good for him. Fear of this is no reason to stick with this made out of glass TE.  Bengals need to discard and take another card and get on with the game. ...Plus, how many play-off games have we won with Eifert, and his back to back injury seasons are giving us losing records so far. Time To Let Him Go And Move On.

ADD ON : Looking at an early 2018 draft site, I see an interesting late round TE. SEC Tennessee TE WOLF. Around 6'6" and 260 lbs and can flat out block in the SEC, but can catch some. Lets get away from these WR types at TE. Steelers and Ravens have won Super Bowls with the big monster types. If we could get somebody the size of O Linemen back in the 60's and 70's. Around 6'6" and 260 " that can block a DE or a LB and match up with that DE or LB in weight and size. Block for our QB and open holes for our RB. Once you can do that, the defense has to adjust often leaving that TE wide open. I say let our WR's run the deep routes and our TE block and pick up some 3rd down catches and also be a big, tall weapon in the Red Zone. We use to throw to Munoz in Red Zone, but if you have a 6'6" and 260 lb TE he would be Munoz size. WOLF for now is listed as a late round, but these guys move up. Florida State has a TE this size. So does Ohio State and Wisconsin. Bengals are bringing in TE's right now for work outs and who knows. They may find a Burfict no other team wanted. A TE may be unemployed that is big, tall and can flat out block DE's and LB's and can catch 3rd down passes and is a big monster in the Red Zone. I like Bengals are already trying out TE's on the news Eifert is going for season ending surgery before he hits free agency. This means back to back seasons of no Eifert and you can't make the club in the tub. Lets not go all Fantasy Football either where you look for Fantasy points. Maybe a big tall blocking TE doesn't get Fantasy points but I've seen them block and make key catches on play-off winning teams which we haven't been in forever. It would be nice to have a big, tall O-Line type TE that can flat out block a DE or a LB or a safety instead of seeing Dalton or our RB's get their rear ends handed to them. No Fantasy Points for it, but I would love to hear a TV announcer say, " Look at this block by the Bengals TE completely taking out this defender, and THAT opened the hole for Mixon's touchdown run ". No Fantasy points for the TE on it, but it does win games.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - TheUberHuber - 10-20-2017

I would wager on a high probability his career is close to finished. Maybe he can sucker another contract out of someone because of his obvious superstar potential but the guys body is beat to shit.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - McC - 10-20-2017

(10-19-2017, 10:36 PM)Clep Wrote: Little late? It will be interesting to see if the Bengals tag him. One thing you have to ask yourself - are you okay with seeing Eifert succeed somewhere else when he’s healthy? If not.... I think he’s worth the franchise tag for at least one more year. He’s too talented imo

He's played half the games in his career.  History screams that won't suddenly change.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - CageTheBengal - 10-20-2017

In no way shape or form should we plan our future around Eifert.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be here but he is not the future.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - XenoMorph - 10-20-2017

No way the bengals drop the tag on him.... Hes not worth that for 1 season especially not knowning if he will be able to go after the back issue.

I'd offer him a small 2 year deal to prove he can stay healthy and play then if he takes that and survives pay him what hes worth.

But i'd rather look elsewhere than invest 10+ mil a season into him at this point  (we know what he can do when healthy he just never is)

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - Benton - 10-20-2017

Putting the tag on a gu y who has played 10 games out of 2 years — or 39 out of 64 if you want to look at the last four full seasons — wouldn't seem like the best thing to do.

We should offer him a contract, but honestly someone will offer him something bigger hoping he can be patched together. His numbers are better than Julius Thomas, who is still cashing in $6 million a season and only playing in half the games. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone offer Eifert more.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - ochocincos - 10-20-2017

Firm no on bringing Eifert back. Even if he came back on a "cheap" deal, you're still looking at a few mill a year.
I'd much rather roll with Kroft, Uzomah, Hewitt, and a mid-round draft pick.
There should be a few solid options in Rounds 3-4 that are either pass-catching TEs or balanced TEs.
A third-round pick would be less than $1 mill a year for four years.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - Bengalbug - 10-20-2017

(10-20-2017, 10:39 AM)Benton Wrote: Putting the tag on a gu y who has p
layed 10 games out of 2 years — or 39 out of 64 if you want to look at the last four full seasons — wouldn't seem like the best thing to do.

We should offer him a contract, but honestly someone will offer him something bigger hoping he can be patched together. His numbers are better than Julius Thomas, who is still cashing in $6 million a season and only playing in half the games. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone offer Eifert more.

I could argue that Julius is better. Look who his qb has been the last 3 years.... Bortles and a qb who came out of retirement.

Julius 2013 season was more impressive than any of eiferts, and 2014 wasn't that much behind eiferts best season either.

Hell, Gary barnidge has had better seasons recently than eifert. I do like eifert and he is a redzone threat, but I think we overinflated his value around here based on one season where he caught a ton of Tds. Look at his career as a whole, and that is he outlier year.

As I mentioned previously, I think eifert is a tad overrated around here, even when healthy. He is great in the redzone, but you can't rely on TDs as those tend to be fluky, and outside of one great season of tds, his stats are not all that impressive as a whole.

Eiferts best season is 2015 - 52/615/13

In 2016 seventeen (17) TEs caught more than 53 balls
In 2016 thirteen (13) TEs caught more than 615 yards

In 2015 fifteen (15) TE ranked ahead of eifert in catches, and 11 had more yards.

In 2014 fourteen (14) caught more than 53 balls
In 2014 thirteen (13) caught more than 615 yards.

Again, eifert is a great redzone target but given his lack of availability, he could be easier replaced than I think we understand.

Maybe it is a lack of how we use TEs

But even Gresham had more catches 4/5 years. He only had more yards 1 time however.

The doctors tell him he'll be back to 100%.

(10-20-2017, 11:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: As I mentioned previously, I think eifert is a tad overrated around here, even when healthy.  He is great in the redzone, but you can't rely on TDs as those tend to be fluky, and outside of one great season of tds, his stats are not all that impressive as a whole.

In 2015 fifteen (15) TE ranked ahead of eifert in catches, and 11 had more yards.

Again, eifert is a great redzone target but given his lack of availability, he could be easier replaced than I think we understand.  

But even Gresham had more catches 4/5 years.  He only had more yards 1 time however.

Go on and ignore how much better the offense is with him in the lineup.  When he plays, he is awesome.

(10-20-2017, 07:36 PM)McC Wrote:  Go on and ignore how much better the offense is with him in the lineup.  When he plays, he is awesome.

I acknowledged he is a great redzone threat. But let's not pretend that this offense was any goood the first week with him....

(10-20-2017, 07:34 PM)McC Wrote: The doctors tell him he'll be back to 100%.

It's probably going to be a different type of 100%. Trust me, I know backninjuries. There is no such thing as getting back to 100% after a back injury.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - TheLeonardLeap - 10-20-2017

(10-20-2017, 11:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: As I mentioned previously, I think eifert is a tad overrated around here, even when healthy.  He is great in the redzone, but you can't rely on TDs as those tend to be fluky, and outside of one great season of tds, his stats are not all that impressive as a whole.

But even Gresham had more catches 4/5 years.  He only had more yards 1 time however.

Eifert is indeed a bit overrated for the first 80 yards of the field, but he is a legitimate weapon in those last 20... when he's actually on the field, that is.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

With this most recent injury, Eifert will have played in 39 of 80 games, or less than 50%. If you flip a coin, you can guess it more reliably than Tyler Eifert.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - J24 - 10-20-2017

Sign him to an incentive based deal.

RE: EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY - bfine32 - 10-20-2017

Why does Eifert get so much praise for scoring TDs; yet, Hill has never scored fewer than 9 in any year of his career and he gets hate?

(10-20-2017, 08:32 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: It's probably going to be a different type of 100%. Trust me, I know backninjuries.  There is no such thing as getting back to 100% after a back injury.

I'm not the doctor.  You're telling the wrong guy.

(10-20-2017, 09:46 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not the doctor.  You're telling the wrong guy.

Eifert will never be the same as he was in 2015.