Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back (/Thread-Rotoworld-Bengals-want-Russell-Bodine-back)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Socal Bengals fan - 02-09-2018

(02-07-2018, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks for proving my point.  You were one of the guys who claimed Peko was so bad no other team would have him as a starter then a team with one of the best defenses in the league signs him for more than the Bengals paid him and made him a starter.

Kirkpatrick has not been garbage for years.  People who talk like this are just repeating message board myths.  And they think that if enough no-nothings agree with them then they must be right.  

It's not a myth, Dre is really garbage.  He gets turned around more than a ballet dancer.  Can't tackle to save his life and has instincts of a sloth.  He has had ONE good season. And the rest shitty.  Most overpaid defensive player in the league. I'm beginning  to think you might be his agent.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - SHRacerX - 02-09-2018

(02-07-2018, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This FO would be completely stupid to give Bodine starter money after him being ranked atleast near the worst Center
in the league since he came into it. With you on this one. But if they just let him sit out there while no one even looks
at him and bring him back at backup price i am not against it. Especially if Pollack thinks he can work with him.

Yep, and that is what was so terrible about PA making the pick in the first place.

Bodine didn't even fit the scheme we ran.

Ryan Jensen is a Free Agent.  Taking him weakens a division opponent.  It saves Bodine's salary, and the savings the Bengals have by not paying a QB much (think he is the 19th-highest paid) should be applied here to help both protect Dalton and open up the running game.

The last time the opportunity came for a top-tier FA center was Mack.  I begged and pleaded.  The Bengals didn't sign him.  The Falcons did.  One team took the next step, the other took steps back.

Here we go again.  Jensen should be a Bengal.  He is young, he is one of the best, and he would weaken a division opponent.  Yet, we will probably see Bodine's awful ass in the starting lineup next season again.  Puke. 

(02-07-2018, 10:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that Marvin has not won a playoff game does not mean he can not win a playoff game.

This is like saying:  "Bodine sucks.  He has always sucked.  It doesn't mean he will always suck.  Here is a new contract"

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 10:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ryan Jensen is a Free Agent.  Taking him weakens a division opponent.  It saves Bodine's salary, and the savings the Bengals have by not paying a QB much (think he is the 19th-highest paid) should be applied here to help both protect Dalton and open up the running game.

The last time the opportunity came for a top-tier FA center was Mack.  I begged and pleaded.  The Bengals didn't sign him.  The Falcons did.  One team took the next step, the other took steps back.

Here we go again.  Jensen should be a Bengal.  He is young, he is one of the best, and he would weaken a division opponent.  Yet, we will probably see Bodine's awful ass in the starting lineup next season again.  Puke. 

Utterly false.

Overrated, not a great run blocker, would basically be another Bodine, IMO.

I will give you that he's young and able to improve, but he really isn't that good; I don't know why everyone has a hard-on for him.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - ochocincos - 02-09-2018

(02-08-2018, 08:38 PM)PDub80 Wrote: This got me thinking.

In 15 years under Marvin I would rather the Bengals go to 3 AFC championship games and then lose the other 12 seasons than I would lose in the first round every other year. So, basically, every 5 seasons they're good enough to make a run at it vs. being the first one voted off the island every 2 seasons. At least in the AFC Championship game you could say they were close or could maybe make it. At that point, I would think Marvin was a hell of a coach.

This is my personal view as well. Consistently making the playoffs but never winning a game shows me they have been consistently good but not great.
And that is something to be happy about because there are plenty of franchises who would kill to have that kind of consistency.
Making the AFC Championship game though, to me, is viewed as being on that next tier.

And I think if you broaden the scope outside of football, do you think that someone working toward Summa Cum Laude but ends up missing it by just a bit thinks, "Well, I'm still higher ranked than 98% of my class"? Nope, they are thinking what could they have done differently to get that distinction because they don't compare themselves to the rest of the group. They only compare themselves with the other elite.

There are plenty of sports fans that approach their team with that same mindset once their team starts having some level of success but has not reached the pinnacle.
And I think for Bengals fans especially that suffered through the "dark age", they don't want to see any indication whatsoever of the team going anywhere close to that.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Hoofhearted - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 10:57 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Utterly false.

I will give you that he's young and able to improve, but he really isn't that good; I don't know why everyone has a hard-on for him.

He's better than Bodine. Any upgrade on the line would be welcomed IMO. 

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - XenoMorph - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 11:29 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He's better than Bodine. Any upgrade on the line would be welcomed IMO. 

didn't the ravens have a worse ol than us? just cause the name changes doesn't mean its an upgrade

(02-09-2018, 11:43 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: didn't the ravens have a worse ol than us?  just cause the name changes doesn't mean its an upgrade

idk, but it didn't help that they lost their pro-bowl RG. They did have 500+ yards more rushing while giving up 13 less sacks.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - fredtoast - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 10:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is like saying:  "Bodine sucks.  He has always sucked.  It doesn't mean he will always suck.  Here is a new contract"

Actually, no, it is nothing like that.

If Bodine had played well in 90% of his games but just looked bad in 3 or 4 playoff games then most people would agree that he had the talent to play well in a playoff game.

Marvin has beaten lots of playoff teams, and coaches use the same skills in the playoffs as they do in the regular season.  I am as upset as anyone that we have not won a playoff game, but you can't say that Marvin does not have the coaching skills to beat playoff teams because the skills are the same in the playoffs as they are in the regular season.

(02-09-2018, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually, no, it is nothing like that.

If Bodine had played well in 90% of his games but just looked bad in 3 or 4 playoff games then most people would agree that he had the talent to play well in a playoff game.

Marvin has beaten lots of playoff teams, and coaches use the same skills in the playoffs as they do in the regular season.  I am as upset as anyone that we have not won a playoff game, but you can't say that Marvin does not have the coaching skills to beat playoff teams because the skills are the same in the playoffs as they are in the regular season.

What's the "right" way to determine if Bodine played well in 90% of his games?
I feel like the only ways for a fan to determine that are to rewatch game tape for every game or access something like premium PFF to get game-by-game scores.
I will say this though...Bodine wouldn't have had a PFF score of 46.9 by playing well in 90% of games and poorly in the remaining 10%.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - fredtoast - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 01:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What's the "right" way to determine if Bodine played well in 90% of his games?
I feel like the only ways for a fan to determine that are to rewatch game tape for every game or access something like premium PFF to get game-by-game scores.
I will say this though...Bodine wouldn't have had a PFF score of 46.9 by playing well in 90% of games and poorly in the remaining 10%.

I agree.  I doubt anyone here ever grades every play by an offensive lineman, and I was not saying that he played well 90% of the time. 

I was just pointing out the difference between Marvin Lewis' over all coaching record and Russell's overall performance.  I think Marvin has done much better.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - sandwedge - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually, no, it is nothing like that.

Just my opinion here, but they don't even look close to being the same team in a playoff game. Almost as if they aren't ready to play.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 11:29 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He's better than Bodine. Any upgrade on the line would be welcomed IMO. 

Without a doube, he's better than Bodine.

But he's still not that good.

(02-09-2018, 02:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Without a doube, he's better than Bodine.

Yeah, but he "fits" the bill more-so than others that we could get. He'll probably not command top center money, so that's appealing to me when looking for slight upgrades. If they can just become average in a few positions on the line (Center, LT), I think this roster would be good enough to make it back to the PO.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 10:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ryan Jensen is a Free Agent.  Taking him weakens a division opponent.  It saves Bodine's salary, and the savings the Bengals have by not paying a QB much (think he is the 19th-highest paid) should be applied here to help both protect Dalton and open up the running game.

I doubt the Ravens don't re-sign Jensen, but if we could grab him from them i would be all for it.

He played well last year, better than any of the other FA Centers that will be available. But it was only one year of production.

I still think the best way to go is to draft a Center like Ragnow, Price or Daniels in the 2nd round or trade back in the first and grab one.

These guys all have a higher upside than Jensen IMHO.

(02-09-2018, 02:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Without a doube, he's better than Bodine.

Upgrade is an upgrade.
#AnyoneButBodine

(02-09-2018, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt the Ravens don't re-sign Jensen, but if we could grab him from them i would be all for it.

He played well last year, better than any of the other FA Centers that will be available. But it was only one year of production.

I still think the best way to go is to draft a Center like Ragnow, Price or Daniels in the 2nd round or trade back in the first and grab one.

These guys all have a higher upside than Jensen IMHO.

Barring a true change in offseason approach, the Bengals will likely address OT/OG before addressing C.
Therefore, I think the Bengals will wait until the third round at the earliest to address C.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-09-2018

(02-09-2018, 02:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Barring a true change in offseason approach, the Bengals will likely address OT/OG before addressing C.
Therefore, I think the Bengals will wait until the third round at the earliest to address C.

Sure hope you are wrong about waiting that long. Those 3 will all be gone by the 3rd i am sure of it.

Both Price and Daniels could go in the 1st.

I like Ragnow better than both of these guys though as he has done it the longest and has been the most consistent.

(02-09-2018, 02:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure hope you are wrong about waiting that long. Those 3 will all be gone by the 3rd i am sure of it.

Both Price and Daniels could go in the 1st.

I like Ragnow better than both of these guys though as he has done it the longest and has been the most consistent.

I'm not so sure. Many teams have their solid-at-worst starter at C already on the roster, and there are a handful in FA that I'm sure teams will snatch up.
I don't see teams going crazy for starting C's in the draft because of that.
And last year we saw only one C go in the first two rounds, which was Elflein.
Pocic was next in early Rd 3, and then everyone else came Rd 5 or later.
I'm not so sure all three of those guys you listed are better than all the C's from last year's draft.

(02-09-2018, 10:57 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Utterly false.

Hmmmm....

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/10/11/16457590/ryan-jensen-the-first-offensive-raven-to-earn-pff-team-of-the-week-honors-in-2017-nfl-week-five