Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Mass shootings - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Mass shootings (/Thread-Mass-shootings)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: Mass shootings - GMDino - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 02:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Kids in our county organized a walkout to promote action on school violence at noon.

Our position was "it's government class, we're not going to tell you not to, but you can still be disciplined by your admin".

The admins seem to be ok with it as long as they can keep it positive. They're directing kids to use only one door and our head of security is in his golf cart keeping kids on school ground and making sure it's not chaos.

There is a movement for a walk out on the anniversary of the Columbine shooting.

The day after I saw it my son brought it up to me and I asked if HE would walk out.

He said he absolutely would.

I told him he risks a suspension.

He said he'd rather be suspended than dead because the school didn't make any changes or do anything to prevent something happening in the future.

The kids is smart and involved and so I'll stand by his decision and we'll see what happens.

RE: Mass shootings - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 02:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't want to speak for bfine, but I think what he may have been getting at is the idea that this move was an executive overreach when many saying it is aren't perceived as having had a problem with prior ones. This is why I mention that the article I linked was from a conservative source and discussed my overall position on executive overreach.

Gotcha....but still.....my point stands.  Just more partisan bickering...."my side is right to do that, yours isn't".  Seriously, it's becoming embarrassing to me.  It's like grade school recess or something.  Some things are right, some things are wrong, and it has nothing to do with a party.  It's ok to come over the "fence" and join forces.

RE: Mass shootings - Nately120 - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 12:10 PM)Griever Wrote: but to be fair, thoughts and prayers are useless, meaningless, and without merit

Shows what you know.  This year instead of paying my taxes I sent the government my thoughts and prayers. I think we'll be seeing very soon just how much that sort of thing is appreciated!

RE: Mass shootings - Dill - 02-21-2018

(02-20-2018, 06:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anyway, firearms on school grounds will get you charged here, but not a knife. And my school wasn't one to hesitate about getting a cop involved. Though Officer Dawkins and I got along pretty well. LOL

Edit: I was bored: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.115.html

So, if you threaten someone with the knife, then it is against he law in Florida. But, possession of a knife in general is not against the law. Box cutters and razor blades are just illegal across the board at schools, but not knives.

So VA schools have changed their policies? In the late 90s any student caught with a knife was expelled.
I don't think this was a state statute, just part of their zero tolerance policy.

I know a man whose son had a boy scout knife in his back pack and was expelled his senior year (2000). Also, it was discovered when he was in a cooking class, so there were knives all around.  This was in the Fairfax district.

RE: Mass shootings - Belsnickel - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 02:40 PM)Dill Wrote: So VA schools have changed their policies? In the late 90s any student caught with a knife was expelled.
I don't think this was a state statute, just part of their zero tolerance policy.

I know a man whose son had a boy scout knife in his back pack and was expelled his senior year (2000). Also, it was discovered when he was in a cooking class, so there were knives all around.  This was in the Fairfax district.

But was he charged with a crime? Expulsion is school discipline, but that doesn't mean it was criminal, which is what we were discussing. My school had policies against having a knife on school grounds, but it wouldn't get you charged with a crime if you were caught with one. I graduated high school in 2004, so this was immediately following Columbine which is when a lot of the zero tolerance rules started being put into place. Though I will say that my school policies were definitely not expulsion for a knife. But we are also a bit more rural than Fairfax.

RE: Mass shootings - Dill - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 02:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But was he charged with a crime? Expulsion is school discipline, but that doesn't mean it was criminal, which is what we were discussing. My school had policies against having a knife on school grounds, but it wouldn't get you charged with a crime if you were caught with one. I graduated high school in 2004, so this was immediately following Columbine which is when a lot of the zero tolerance rules started being put into place. Though I will say that my school policies were definitely not expulsion for a knife. But we are also a bit more rural than Fairfax.

No. That's why I separated school policy from state statutes.  School policies were, at that time, much harsher for some "crimes."  In Fairfax, most of the ZT stuff was in place by 96.  If your school did not expel anyone caught with a "weapon" I would be very surprised. Another incident I remember is that a student in one school had a cardboard sword for a costume and was expelled. I remember people arguing about that online.

Also, at that time, most all schools in the Eastern U.S. honored other schools expulsion policies. So the kid I spoke of could not transfer anywhere else either.

Also, school codes often counted off the school grounds. They were a way of imposing harsh restrictions on children beyond state/federal law.

RE: Mass shootings - Belsnickel - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 02:53 PM)Dill Wrote: No. That's why I separated school policy from state statutes.  School policies were, at that time, much harsher for some "crimes."  In Fairfax, most of the ZT stuff was in place by 96.  If your school did not expel anyone caught with a "weapon" I would be very surprised. Another incident I remember is that a student in one school had a cardboard sword for a costume and was expelled. I remember people arguing about that online.

Also, at that time, most all schools in the Eastern U.S. honored other schools expulsion policies. So the kid I spoke of could not transfer anywhere else either.

Also, school codes often counted off the school grounds. They were a way of imposing harsh restrictions on children beyond state/federal law.

Yeah, expulsion would have only occurred at my school if you brought a firearm or if you actually took action with a knife (including threatening). Knife possession discipline in my high school was more like: confiscation, detention, suspension, suspension, expulsion. You would have had to do repeatedly stupid things to get to expulsion.

RE: Mass shootings - fredtoast - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 12:57 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The "assault weapons" bill was a bullshit bill designed to make people feel good about the illusion of action.  You can sprinkle shit on a turd, it doesn't make it a donut.

"Lethality" was not the only issue.  The ability to conceal the weapon and to suppress the flash aid in the ability to carry out a mass killing and get away with it.

I agree that the assault weapons ban was not the answer to the problem, but it was more than just "bullshit".

RE: Mass shootings - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 04:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Lethality" was not the only issue.

Apparently "lethality" wasn't even "a" issue, as I illustrated.

Quote:The ability to conceal the weapon and to suppress the flash aid in the ability to carry out a mass killing and get away with it.

What person has conducted a mass killing and got away with it?  As for concealment, you must have missed the parts of the post you responded to in which I addressed that.  As for a flash hider, they don't do as much to conceal your position as you'd think. 

Quote:I agree that the assault weapons ban was not the answer to the problem, but it was more than just "bullshit".

Did you note that it was also very much a protectionist bill as I mentioned in my post? It absolutely was bullshit.  It's feel good, "look we're doing something" political bullshit.  It had zero effect on gun violence, say it again, zero.

RE: Mass shootings - BmorePat87 - 02-21-2018

Trump, Pence, and DeVos are holding a listening session in the White House with parents, students, and admins from places like Parkland and DC.

I heard one person mention the word "gun".

(02-21-2018, 06:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Apparently "lethality" wasn't even "a" issue, as I illustrated.

I am pretty sure that limiting the amount of bullets the gun can hold would have an effect on lethality.

(02-21-2018, 06:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It had zero effect on gun violence, say it again, zero.

You have no way of proving that.

Say it again.  No way.

RE: Mass shootings - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am pretty sure that limiting the amount of bullets the gun can hold would have an effect on lethality.

The magazine determines the number of rounds, not the firearm itself.  Regardless, no, it really doesn't.  I can change a ten round magazine out quickly enough to not affect my rate of fire by much at all.  I'm sure you'll cite the reload time as a chance to take down the attacker.  The Orlando shooter had his gun jam and was able to look at a youtube video on his phone to tell him how to clear it. 

(02-21-2018, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have no way of proving that.

Say it again.  No way.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-winkler-folly-of-assault-weapon-ban-20151211-story.html

Quote:Little wonder then that a 2004 study commissioned by the Department of Justice found that the federal ban didn't lead to any decrease in gun crime or gun deaths.

(02-21-2018, 07:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-winkler-folly-of-assault-weapon-ban-20151211-story.html

Little wonder then that a 2004 study commissioned by the Department of Justice found that the federal ban didn't lead to any decrease in gun crime or gun deaths.

Actually that study did find that the federal ban resulted in a decrease in gun deaths from the banned weapons.  But it was hard to tell if there was any overall effect because of an increase in the use of other non-banned semi-automatic weapons with large capacity magazines. So it could be argued that the ban would be effective it it was broadened to include all semi-automatic weapons with large capacity magazines.

The conclusion of the study also stated that the fact that there were 1.5 million weapons grandfathered in meant that the full effects of the ban were still unfolding as of 2004 so it was too early to make any definitive conclusions.

There is language in that study that both sides have tried to cherry pick to support their position.

RE: Mass shootings - StLucieBengal - 02-21-2018

Good to see. Need more guns on school grounds

[Image: 35_DEDC60_03_CD_4_C5_A_898_E_438_C2200200_B.jpg]

(02-21-2018, 01:27 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: classic.  can't produce evidence to back up his intolerable ignorance, pulls this crap instead.

why don't you go play kickball and let the adults have a conversation over here.  

(02-21-2018, 01:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How about you just focus on the references?

Please. As if either of you want to discuss anything.

Even when you are shown cold hard facts you just play your games.

(02-21-2018, 09:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Even when you are shown cold hard facts you just play your games.

You have not presented any cold hard facts.

All you have done is state your own opinion.

[Image: 28061460_456552818093085_512520736176440...e=5B122807]

(02-21-2018, 09:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have not presented any cold hard facts.

All you have done is state your own opinion.

Been done countless times. Most recently on the transvestites being mentally ill. Instead of just acknowledging it and stating he goes with another more politicized Group’s Opinion and we agree to disagree he goes into Post after Post of nonsense.

Honestly don’t have time for breech’s games. VD just tosses in some snark which is cool. He’s alright.

(02-21-2018, 09:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Been done countless times.   Most recently on the transvestites being mentally ill.  Instead of just acknowledging it and stating he goes with another more politicized Group’s Opinion and we agree to disagree he goes into Post after Post of nonsense.    

Honestly don’t have time for breech’s games.    VD just tosses in some snark which is cool.   He’s alright.

Well, that's because it's not true.

Mellow