Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Mass shootings - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Mass shootings (/Thread-Mass-shootings)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: Mass shootings - BmorePat87 - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why so many people are aginst letting teachers carry gins to school.

Don't MAKE any of them carry guns.

Make sure every one that does is trained.

But what the hell is it going to hurt?  There are lots of teachers who own guns and would probably like to carry on school.

And when you make a comment like "The people who claim teachers are stupid now want to let them carry guns" to oppose this plan you are basically saying you agree with the people who claim teachers are stupid.

It is not like letting kids carry guns.  Teachers are supposed to be smart and educated.  Why can't they be trusted with guns?

Cops are trained and I trust most of them, but mistakes happen and innocent people get hurt. Adding thousands of guns to schools means there's thousands of more chances for an accident to happen and child to get hurt. 

Guns shouldn't be at schools. 

RE: Mass shootings - Johnny Cupcakes - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ridiculous comments like this is how subjects often get off track.

People in this thread are suggesting that we arm educators. The thread has been ridiculous and off track from the real issues for quite a while.

RE: Mass shootings - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not so much my hobby as my field of study. I went back to school and am currently working on a degree in policy analysis/assessment. Working at a university, I am able to take classes for free and not have to travel far for them.

Ah.....I gotcha.  I misread that.

RE: Mass shootings - bfine32 - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:43 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: People in this thread are suggesting that we arm educators. The thread has been ridiculous and off track from the real issues for quite a while.

Of course that is your opinion; as many feel a "harder target' is a deterrent. it's fine to disagree with that and provide examples, but there is no need to stoop to the level of comments such as those you provided.

(02-23-2018, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why so many people are aginst letting teachers carry gins to school.

Don't MAKE any of them carry guns.

Make sure every one that does is trained.

But what the hell is it going to hurt?  There are lots of teachers who own guns and would probably like to carry on school.

And when you make a comment like "The people who claim teachers are stupid now want to let them carry guns" to oppose this plan you are basically saying you agree with the people who claim teachers are stupid.

It is not like letting kids carry guns.  Teachers are supposed to be smart and educated.  Why can't they be trusted with guns?

Do Fred and I actually agree on a topic in PnR?

(02-23-2018, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what is crazy when you start looking at cultural influences and "mass shootings".

40-50 years ago there were MORE gun owners in the United Sates than there are today.

40-50 years ago there was just as much violent crime and many MORE deadly riots.  Peoples heads explode today if one person gets injured in a BLM demonstration but here are the death tolls from some riots in the 60's....Detroit '67 forty-three dead, Watts '65 thirty-four dead, Newark '67 twenty-six dead.  There were also multiple assassinations of public figures (MLK, John and Bobby Kennedy).

So there were more gun owners and overall our society was much more violent.  Yet "mass shootings" were extremely rare.

So if you want to look at cultural/social issues behind mass shootings you don't need to compare the US to other countries.  you need to compare the US today to the US 40-50 years ago.

You're right.....especially considering the assassinations.  Of course, this place was literally a battle ground over civil rights in that era too.  I think that is the main culprit regarding violence in those days.  I wonder what those numbers look like if you take out the civil rights riots.  I've seen my share of riots in my time, but nothing like that.

RE: Mass shootings - Nately120 - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 02:30 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: So how do you feel about having to go to work armed in order to teach kids?

Being armed is one thing, but having a brand new job requirement of "Must be willing to engage in gun battles and/or kill people" added to your job is pretty wacky to think about.  If we really need a gun in every classroom, then I'd say it's time for us to pull our troops out of other countries and have them marching down the hallway of every school from now on.

The idea of the people I know who are teachers being required and expected to shot/kill/get shot as a surprise job requirement is just insane.  Call me a cynic, but I think the main reasons people want to give teachers guns and/or the right to carry guns into school is so more guns can be sold, and teachers can be blamed for not stopping the next school shooting. I can already see teachers who choose not to carry guns being criticized for not caring about the lives of their students and so on and so forth.

Like I said, put the army in the school if we are going to live in a country like this.

(02-23-2018, 04:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do Fred and I actually agree on a topic in PnR?

Kinda took me by surprise as well.  Just goes to show, we can all find common ground at one point or another.

RE: Mass shootings - Johnny Cupcakes - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course that is your opinion; as many feel a "harder target' is a deterrent. it's fine to disagree with that and provide examples, but there is no need to stoop to the level of comments such as those you provided.

So you're telling me that if a shooter walks into a school, and the children are armed, they will not be deterred? Are these students not a "harder target"?

Is age the issue? Maybe we could only issue the guns to the 18 year old students?

RE: Mass shootings - Benton - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You are the one that introduced movie Theaters into a back and forth about allowing educators to carry and some how my comments are irrelevant and I'm not following.  

Agreed, you aren’t following if you equate a trained soldier in a war zone to a teacher in a domestic school. If you aren’t, maybe irrelevant comments could be rambled on in a less serious thread. Try the cooking threads.

“How to cook a roast? Why, In my day we rehydrated our mres with goat sweat. Tasty.”

RE: Mass shootings - GMDino - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How can you tell me that the location is relevant to where I would want to carry a weapon?

Because it was passed off as an example of you feeling better being armed,

If I was deployed with a branch of the service I'd sure feel better being armed too.

To throw that in in a discussion about arming teachers is a red herring.

Because...

(02-23-2018, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said I don't speak for educators, but your friends aside, there may be an educator or 2 out there that would welcome the opportunity to better protect his/her children if the situation arose.

Sure. Some might feel better in lots of different ways. Like having adequate protection in the form of bulletproof windows or fewer students so they could give the ones that seem to need help more help.

(02-23-2018, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who are you or any of us on here to tell them they cannot be afforded that right.

"right"?

Is the argument going to be that NOT allowing teachers to carry guns on the job is a violation of their right to bear arms?

Because that is a far cry from allowing it.

And let me back up a bit and say I have not come down as strictly opposed to the idea. I have played devil's advocate on how it would be implemented and paid for.

Maybe 1 or 2 or 8 armed teachers would work in some situations...maybe not in others.

There was an armed man in Florida. He didn't do anything.

(02-23-2018, 04:17 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: So you're telling me that if a shooter walks into a school, and the children are armed, they will not be deterred? Are these students not a "harder target"?

Is age the issue? Maybe we could only issue the guns to the 18 year old students?

Obviously you can post whatever you want. I just felt compelled to point out a post that added nothing constructive to the discussion at hand.

RE: Mass shootings - Benton - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 03:35 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: One point someone made which shouldn't be overlooked is that the fact that mass shootings occur in places other than schools is being overlooked with these suggestions that the solution is to arm teachers. 

Are we also arming ushers at theaters? What about concession workers at concerts? Waiters at night clubs? Arm all priests? Bus boys at restaurants? Drive thru cashiers as McDonalds?

It's ridiculous that the defense of arming teachers is mentioning how it's good to have a gun in a war zone, but ridiculous proposals tend to have ridiculous defenses. 

It came to mind as we’ve had shooting started in theaters and other public venues. Around last year we had an altercation in a theater where an off duty’s cop pulled his gun over a disagreement about talking. Granted the guy threatened to shut the off duty cop up after the cop told him to shut up, but there was no reason for the cop to pull out a firearm in a theater against an unarmed civilian in a verbal disputed.

(02-23-2018, 04:36 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, you aren’t following if you equate a trained soldier in a war zone to a teacher in a domestic school. If you aren’t, maybe irrelevant comments could be rambled on in a less serious thread. Try the cooking threads.

“How to cook a roast? Why, In my day we rehydrated our mres with goat sweat. Tasty.”

Your insults aside: Of course the teacher(s) in question would be required to be trained. Your assertion that my comments are irrelevant and are yours to have, but I find them to be quite relevant. There's really no need to stoop to troll level.

(02-23-2018, 04:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because it was passed off as an example of you feeling better being armed,  

If I was deployed with a branch of the service I'd sure feel better being armed too.  

To throw that in in a discussion about arming teachers is a red herring.

Because...

Sure.  Some might feel better in lots of different ways.  Like having adequate protection in the form of bulletproof windows or fewer students so they could give the ones that seem to need  help more help.

"right"?

Is the argument going to be that NOT allowing teachers to carry guns on the job is a violation of their right to bear arms?

Because that is a far cry from allowing it.

And let me back up a bit and say I have not come down as strictly opposed to the idea.  I have played devil's advocate on how it would be implemented and paid for.

Maybe 1 or 2 or 8 armed teachers would work in some situations...maybe not in others.

There was an armed man in Florida.  He didn't do anything.

Nope, the right (morally good, justified, or acceptable) to carry a weapon in this situation has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment

Hell, I'm for whatever allows our educators to feel more comfortable and to care for those under their charge

I'm not sure how it falls in the Red Herring category. As I said, I wish we could ask those brave educators would they have liked to have had something other than their bodies to protect the children that they so heroically did.

(02-23-2018, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, the right (morally good, justified, or acceptable) to carry a weapon in this situation has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment

Hell, I'm for whatever allows our educators to feel more comfortable and to care for those under their charge

I'm not sure how it falls in the Red Herring category. As I said, I wish we could ask those brave educators would they have liked to have had something other than their bodies to protect the children that they so heroically did.

If this is really something that is as common as it seems and being unarmed as a teacher is an odd thing, I fully expect the types of people that enter the teaching profession to change over the next generation.  I mostly feel for the people I know who are teachers who aren't really into the idea of being armed and shooting people being part of their job, and I mostly feel that way because I don't think anyone foresaw this sort of thing becoming an issue when they were choosing their careers.

RE: Mass shootings - treee - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 05:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If this is really something that is as common as it seems and being unarmed as a teacher is an odd thing, I fully expect the types of people that enter the teaching profession to change over the next generation.  I mostly feel for the people I know who are teachers who aren't really into the idea of being armed and shooting people being part of their job, and I mostly feel that way because I don't think anyone foresaw this sort of thing becoming an issue when they were choosing their careers.

The flight or fight response shouldn't even be apart of the equation for educators or students. It is not conducive to the learning environment. 

RE: Mass shootings - GMDino - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, the right (morally good, justified, or acceptable) to carry a weapon in this situation has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment

I don't want you to think that was an attack.

I'm just looking at it as a soldier would feel safer with a gun in a war zone than a teacher would in his desk while teaching history.  Meaning that knowing they have a gun and may have to use it but never know when is different for a soldier and a teacher.

Certainly SOME might want to be armed.  I just haven't met one I know yet.

And, I agree, that we have to do more than just arm a few teachers.  There has to be a broad change in multiple areas of society.

(02-23-2018, 05:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't want you to think that was an attack.

I'm just looking at it as a soldier would feel safer with a gun in a war zone than a teacher would in his desk while teaching history.  Meaning that knowing they have a gun and may have to use it but never know when is different for a soldier and a teacher.

Certainly SOME might want to be armed.  I just haven't met one I know yet.

And, I agree, that we have to do more than just arm a few teachers.  There has to be a broad change in multiple areas of society.

Right, being armed is something that wasn't in the job description when they signed up.  Looking ahead, maybe schoolteacher is a job where you carry a weapon and make $19k a year.  Like I said, I could live long enough to be laughed at when I tell people when I went to gradeschool our teachers were unarmed women in their 50s+.

Hell, now I'm thinking of Sister Mary Gertrude packing heat. Damn.

(02-23-2018, 05:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If this is really something that is as common as it seems and being unarmed as a teacher is an odd thing, I fully expect the types of people that enter the teaching profession to change over the next generation.  I mostly feel for the people I know who are teachers who aren't really into the idea of being armed and shooting people being part of their job, and I mostly feel that way because I don't think anyone foresaw this sort of thing becoming an issue when they were choosing their careers.

Very few folks want to shoot anybody, so I'd imagine a teacher would be no different.