Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bad Boys II - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Bad Boys II (/Thread-Bad-Boys-II)

RE: Bad Boys II - PhilHos - 09-13-2018

(09-12-2018, 05:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm just going to add that not everyone cares that the  Ninja means a joke.

Some people takes some things so seriously you can't  Ninja them.

Mellow

This is true.  Sad

(09-12-2018, 05:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: That said I do use the  Smirk to mean a joke sometimes too.

Well, according to fred, we're using it wrong. And what fred says is 100% right all the time.  Mellow

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 09-13-2018

(09-13-2018, 02:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This is true.  Sad

Well, according to fred, we're using it wrong. And what fred says is 100% right all the time.  Mellow

Wellm not the first time someone told me I was wrong.   Mellow

(09-12-2018, 10:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 41437864_2100010123583414_57363658968599...e=5C1FCB42]

(09-12-2018, 10:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As horrible as this story is I don't consider it "police violence" because she was not acting in her official capacity.  

But I am not buying her story.  If she could see enough to hit her target then she could see enough to know it was not her apartment.   Plus police tell citizens that if they come home and their home or apartment is being burglarized they should not enter.  Instead they should leave and call the police.

(09-12-2018, 11:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Another rare instance of my completely agreeing with Fred.

(09-12-2018, 11:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just just got the kid gloves treatment that you or I would not have gotten.  Yes she has been charged now.  Guess we'll see if there is a trial and how that goes.

Her story is unbelievable.

Anyone mind linking the story so we can all make our own judgements that have no bearing on what will actually happen?  Smirk

Seriously, though, a link would be nice. Thanks. ThumbsUp

(09-13-2018, 02:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wellm not the first time someone told me I was wrong.   Mellow

You spelled 'well' wrong. There's no 'm'.  Mellow

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 09-13-2018

(09-13-2018, 02:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You spelled 'well' wrong. There's no 'm'.  Mellow

Sorry... I confused you with Irene.  " Mellow"

(NSFW...I think.)

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 09-14-2018

(09-13-2018, 02:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone mind linking the story so we can all make our own judgements that have no bearing on what will actually happen?  Smirk

Seriously, though, a link would be nice. Thanks. ThumbsUp

Missed this.  Sorry.

Here is the background via the arrest warrant issued for the officer:

http://www.fox4news.com/news/arrest-warrant-dallas-officer-thought-botham-jean-was-burglar-he-ignored-verbal-commands-

But now they found the devil's lettuce in his apartment...so that's a thing I guess?

Again, if you or I walked into the wrong apartment and shot someone we'd have spent the night in jail while it was sorted out...at a minimum.

While reading the site with the above I found this:

http://www.fox4news.com/news/ex-balch-springs-officer-roy-oliver-trial

Quote:GUILTY VERDICT: Ex-Balch Springs Officer Roy Oliver found guilty of murder

DALLAS - Jurors found a former Balch Springs police officer guilty of murder on Tuesday after two days of deliberations.

Roy Oliver shot unarmed 15-year-old Jordan Edwards to death outside a party in April 2017 after responding to reports of underage drinking. The jury reached its verdict after about 12-13 hours of deliberation.

Edwards’ family was emotional after the guilty verdict was announced. They cried, hugged and quietly cheered. One person could be heard exclaiming, "Thank you, Jesus!"

“I just want to say I’m happy. Very happy,” said Odell Edwards, Jordan's father. It's been a long time. It’s been a hard year. I’m just really happy.”

The family’s civil attorney, Daryl K. Washington, said the case was about more than Jordan Edwards.

“It’s about every African American, unarmed African American, who has been killed and who has not gotten justice,” Washington said.

“This is a great day for the Edwards family,” said Henry Brown with the Mesquite NAACP. “We wanted this for the Edwards family. We wanted this for our community.”

Oliver was found not guilty of aggravated assault by a public servant for the other passengers in the car in which Edwards was in. The jury was allowed to consider a lesser charge of manslaughter if members could not agree on murder.

Oliver claimed he feared for his partner's life when he fired into the vehicle Edwards and others were in as it drove away from a large house party.
Oliver testified he opened fire after seeing the car move toward his partner, but his partner told jurors he didn't fear for his life.

Oliver’s wife left the courtroom in tears after the verdict was read.

About 15 minutes after the verdict came down, the trial quickly moved to the punishment phase. The Dallas County jury heard testimony late Tuesday afternoon from those who had close contact with Edwards. Prosecutors called character witnesses and family.

“Now is the time that you are going to get to see the man Roy Oliver is. The evil that is in Roy Oliver,” said Prosecutor Shawn Keedra Martin. “You don’t know the half of it.”

Judge Douglas Skemp testified about Oliver cursing from the witness stand during a trial in his courtroom.

“Mr. Oliver just did really not want to be there,” Skemp said. “He wouldn’t cooperate with the district attorney.”

The judge said it was behavior from a police officer that he’s never seen before or since.

“But I remember him saying, ‘I don’t understand the f***ing question,’” Skemp said.

Greg Petty supervised Oliver at the Dalworthington Gardens Police Department before Oliver joined the Balch Springs Department. He told the jury about troubling changes he’d seen after Oliver returned from a second deployment with the Army to Iraq and about a Facebook post Oliver re-posted in 2013 that said “I will never in my life be as good at anything in life as I am at killing people.”

Jordan’s father recounted saying goodbye the night his sons left for a party and about the heartbreak his death continues to cause for the family he left behind.

“I told him I loved him. And that’s the last thing I told him,” Odell said. “It’s just not the same without Jordan around.”

Jordan’s stepmother, Charmaine Edwards, addressed the jury directly.

“I’m forever grateful that you all saw in your hearts to see that it was wrong, and I thank you,” she said. “Because it doesn’t bring Jordan back, but we have some kind of closure.”

Edwards was a freshman at Mesquite High School and a stream of teachers and coaches described his ambition and positive demeanor. All told the jury how Edwards made an impression on them immediately and how much he meant to everyone.

The district released a statement saying: "Mesquite ISD is focused on meeting the emotional needs of our students and staff members as they cope with the many feelings stirred by the case surrounding Jordan Edwards’ death. Our unwavering support and compassion extends to Jordan’s family during this difficult time, and Jordan’s memory will continue to hold special meaning for Mesquite High School and our entire community."

It’s incredibly rare for a police officer to be convicted of murder in Texas. Most officers aren’t even charged in the shooting deaths of civilians.

The last officer to be convicted of an on-duty shooting death in Texas was Dallas police officer Darrell Cain for the 1973 murder of 12-year-old Santos Rodriguez. Cain held a gun to the young boy’s head and played Russian roulette. The first pull of the trigger was nothing, but the second instantly killed the handcuffed boy.

The state has rested its case in the sentencing phase. The defense will begin Wednesday morning at 9 a.m.

Oliver is now facing five to 99 years in prison. 

RE: Bad Boys II - fredtoast - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 05:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: But now they found the devil's lettuce in his apartment...so that's a thing I guess?

This is a disgusting move by FOX.

The really big news was that they found a police ballistics vest and a backpack with "police equipment".  But instead FOX reported about the marijuana that was found.

It is pretty clear to me that the killer new this guy and probably even left some of her stuff at his apartment, but it is more important for Fox News to smear the name of the victim.

(09-14-2018, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a disgusting move by FOX.

The really big news was that they found a police ballistics vest and a backpack with "police equipment".  But instead they posted about the marijuana that was found.

It is pretty clear to me that the killer new this guy and probably even left some of her stuff at his apartment, but it is more important for Fox News to smear the name of the victim.

The article said that there are other documents still sealed but they released that one.

I read somewhere today that there was no search of the officer's apartment.  But I didn't see where that was verified.

RE: Bad Boys II - PhilHos - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 05:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Missed this.  Sorry.

Here is the background via the arrest warrant issued for the officer:

http://www.fox4news.com/news/arrest-warrant-dallas-officer-thought-botham-jean-was-burglar-he-ignored-verbal-commands-

But now they found the devil's lettuce in his apartment...so that's a thing I guess?

Again, if you or I walked into the wrong apartment and shot someone we'd have spent the night in jail while it was sorted out...at a minimum.

Thanks for the link.  ThumbsUp

RE: Bad Boys II - bfine32 - 11-14-2018

Vacillated over starting a shiny new thread on this one but I decided to put it here:

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/community-outraged-over-man-shot-after-shooting-police-k9-in-face-ASDeWdGiOkCqZQoqdbaEdQ/?fbclid=IwAR3RGRcQfpmesDB3MnSXWM3Vvd-Sypd_VAVcImcVrMxlc3EVDl9BcSKCCFA

Quote:Controversy over the value of the life of a police K9 dog has been brewing in a small Michigan town after police shot and killed an armed suspect who had just fatally shot a police K9 in the face.

Wondering what my liberal friend's views are on this.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 11-14-2018

(11-14-2018, 11:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Vacillated over starting a shiny new thread on this one but I decided to put it here:

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/community-outraged-over-man-shot-after-shooting-police-k9-in-face-ASDeWdGiOkCqZQoqdbaEdQ/?fbclid=IwAR3RGRcQfpmesDB3MnSXWM3Vvd-Sypd_VAVcImcVrMxlc3EVDl9BcSKCCFA

Wondering what my liberal friend's views are on this.

Well, as a liberal, I wonder if we want the police killing people instead of arresting them.

I suppose there must be more to the story though as to why he was shot and killed.  Like he tried to shoot at the officers maybe?

Because if they just executed a man for shooting the dog they are wrong.  Same as if the killed him for killing someone else.

Maybe the conservatives prefer the police be judge and executioner?  

Edit: Found another link to the original story. The police say he fired as he ran, striking the dog and they returned fire killing him. The story says the dog was taken to the vet and died there. Sad. But different than the original story that the police killed him for shooting the dog.

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/K9-and-suspect-are-dead-after--499669691.html

RE: Bad Boys II - michaelsean - 11-15-2018

(11-14-2018, 11:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well, as a liberal, I wonder if we want the police killing people instead of arresting them.

I suppose there must be more to the story though as to why he was shot and killed.  Like he tried to shoot at the officers maybe?

Because if they just executed a man for shooting the dog they are wrong.  Same as if the killed him for killing someone else.

Maybe the conservatives prefer the police be judge and executioner?  

Edit: Found another link to the original story. The police say he fired as he ran, striking the dog and they returned fire killing him. The story says the dog was taken to the vet and died there. Sad. But different than the original story that the police killed him for shooting the dog.

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/K9-and-suspect-are-dead-after--499669691.html

You ever go to a movie and 500 people are mowed down and then a horse or a dog gets killed and the whole theater gasps? I could see that. “He killed the dog. He deserved it.”

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 11-15-2018

(11-15-2018, 08:16 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You ever go to a movie and 500 people are mowed down and then a horse or a dog gets killed and the whole theater gasps?  I could see that. “He killed the dog.  He deserved it.”

Yes.  People love animals.  I am one of them who will cry when the dog dies in a movie.

I can see the officers thinking that too.

That doesn't make it any more right than the criminal shooting the dog.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 11-27-2018

Update on a story:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/11/27/laquan-mcdonald-shooting-chicago-cops-accused-coverup-trial/2123186002/

Quote:Chicago cops accused of covering up Laquan McDonald shooting death to go to trial

CHICAGO – Three Chicago police officers are set to go to trial Tuesday on charges they conspired to cover up a fellow officer's actions in the police shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

The trial of former Detective David March, former Officer Joseph Walsh and Officer Thomas Gaffney comes two months after former Officer Jason Van Dyke was found guilty of second-degree murder and aggravated battery in the shooting death of the black teen.

The three officers face state charges of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and misconduct. Prosecutors say they tried to prevent independent investigators from learning the truth about McDonald’s death.

The officers have opted for a bench trial. The case against them will be heard and decided by Cook County Associate Judge Domenica Stephenson, not a jury.

The officers were among several who allegedly reported that McDonald acted aggressively toward them and posed an immediate threat.

A police dashcam video of the incident contradicts those claims. It shows McDonald turning away from officers when Van Dyke began shooting. 

The video shows Van Dyke opened fire within six seconds of exiting his police vehicle. McDonald was on the ground within 1.6 seconds. Van Dyke continued to shoot at McDonald for another 12.5 seconds.

He fired 16 shots at the teen.

The video, which played a crucial part in Van Dyke’s trial, will be central in the cover-up trial as well. 
Walsh, who was Van Dyke's partner on the night of the shooting, is accused of lying to investigators about what led to the shooting.

Walsh testified under a grant of limited immunity at Van Dyke’s trial. Walsh's testimony in that trial may not be held against him at his own trial, as long as it was truthful.

Walsh testified that the video doesn’t tell the whole story.

“My position, my angle was totally different,” Walsh said.

Walsh said he "backed up" as McDonald got to within 12 to 15 feet of the officers and "swung the knife toward the officers in an aggressive manner," according to police documents.

Walsh said he and Van Dyke repeatedly called on McDonald to drop the knife.

Gaffney, 45, allegedly claimed to investigators that Van Dyke and other officers were injured in the confrontation. No officers were hurt. 

More: Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke guilty of second-degree murder in 2014 shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
More: Chicago cop on trial for Laquan McDonald killing testifies: 'His eyes were bugging out'

March, 60, the lead detective, allegedly signed off on statements given by officers at the scene and indicated that there was no discrepancy between what the officers said happened and police dashcam video.

Gaffney has been suspended without pay since the indictment against the three officers was announced in June 2017. March and Walsh resigned from the department.

The officers' attorneys earlier this month argued in a motion to dismiss the charges that the special prosecutor, Patricia Brown Holmes, brought the case for political reasons. Judge Stephenson denied their bid.

One witness expected to testify is Officer Dora Fontaine, whose initial statement to investigators seemed to have been contradicted by the police video.

She told investigators after the 2014 shooting that she heard officers repeatedly order McDonald to drop the knife and that McDonald "raised his right arm toward Officer Van Dyke, as if attacking Van Dyke," according to police documents released by the city.

But Fontaine, who has been given immunity by prosecutors, testified during Van Dyke’s trial that she had seen McDonald making only "swaying" movements with the knife before  the shooting.

The October 2014 shooting was one in a series of deadly confrontations between law enforcement and black men and women that spurred a national conversation on policing. The waycity and police officials handled the incident further fractured the already tattered trust of police in Chicago’s African-American community.

Local leadersinitially resisted releasing he video. Activists accused Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police brass of allowing an unofficial “code of silence” among officers to persist.

A court eventually ordered the city to release the footage, 400 days after the shooting. On the day of its release, Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder.

The county’s prosecutor, Anita Alvarez, accused by activists of taking too long to charge the officer, was voted out of office. And local and federal authorities launched investigations of the police department.ign Me Up

Emanuel saw his standing in the city's sizable African-American community plummet. He fired his police superintendent and announced in September, days before jury selection began in the Van Dyke trial, that he wouldn’t seek a third term in office.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 11-28-2018

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/11/27/florida-police-chief-sentenced-framing-black-people/2132834002/

A former Florida police chief will serve three years in prison for a department conspiracy to frame black people for crimes they did not commit.

A federal judge in Miami handed out the sentence Tuesday against ex-Biscayne Park chief Raimundo Atesiano, 53, who pleaded guilty to ordering officersto falsely arrest black people for unsolved burglaries. 

Three former officers have also pleaded guilty in the case, which centered around Atesiano's efforts to improve the department's crime-solving rate. The Miami-Dade County village has a population of 3,000.  

The three arrests without legal basis encouraged by Atesiano created a 100-percent clearance rate for residential and vehicle burglaries. 

“Putting an arrest statistic above the rights of an innocent man instead of working to protect all our citizens undermines the safety goals of every Miami-Dade police department,” State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said in a press release.  “Miami-Dade’s residents deserve honesty and integrity, qualities that Raimundo Atesiano deliberately failed to deliver.”

More: Ex-police chief, officers framed a teen to boost arrest stats, prosecutors say

More: Ex-officers get prison for framing black teenager in Florida

Atesiano faced a maximum 10-year sentence for conspiracy to deprive individuals of their civil rights. His lawyer said the victims were not randomly selected but were known to police as having criminal pasts. 

Two ex-officers, Charlie Dayoub and Raul Fernandez, were each sentenced to a year in prison for falsely arresting a 16-year old juvenile for four burglaries.The third, Guillermo Ravelo, will serve 27 months for two separate incidents: falsely arresting one individual with two residential burglaries and another with five vehicle robberies, both without probable cause.

“When I took the job, I was not prepared,” Atesiano told a federal judge on Tuesday, the Miami Herald reported. “I made some very, very bad decisions.”

RE: Bad Boys II - Dill - 12-01-2018

(11-28-2018, 10:23 AM)GMDino Wrote: A federal judge in Miami handed out the sentence Tuesday against ex-Biscayne Park chief Raimundo Atesiano, 53, who pleaded guilty to ordering officersto falsely arrest black people for unsolved burglaries. 

Real burglars will be disappointed.  Had a good thing going.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 12-03-2018

https://www.newsweek.com/colorado-police-officer-who-raped-handcuffed-woman-he-was-taking-home-1238485?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NewsweekFacebookSF&fbclid=IwAR0Vc10l49_24oi_r85O_A70Yr6TZbc9zThpW9ZhfH2we-2N_OBzkwx-Z08

Quote:A Colorado police officer who forced a handcuffed woman he was supposed to be taking home from the hospital to have sex with him was sentenced to just 90 days in jail followed by four years on probation after admitting the sexual assault. His victim was left with PTSD.

Curtis Lee Arganbright, 41, stopped his Westminster police patrol car during the ride home, ordered the woman out of the vehicle, and forced her to have sex on the front while she was still cuffed, 9News reported, citing an affidavit.
He then made her perform oral sex on him before driving her home, warning her “she better not tell anyone about this,” and handed her his business card telling his victim to “call me sometime,” the affidavit said about the incident, which took place on August 24, 2017.

The 36-year-old woman had admitted herself to the St. Anthony North Health Campus Hospital in Westminster for alcoholism. Police were called when hospital staff accused her of attempting to steal items from the emergency room.

Arganbright was dispatched but the hospital agreed not to press charges if he took her home. It was on that journey that Arganbright sexually assaulted the woman in the early hours of the morning.

She returned the hospital the following day saying she had been sexually assaulted. Officers from Broomfield Police were called to the hospital to bring a rape kit.

Arganbright was arrested and, while he was suspended without pay, resigned from Westminster Police Department.

He pleaded guilty to counts of unlawful sexual contact and official misconduct, both misdemeanors. As part of his sentence Arganbright must also register as a sex offender and enter a treatment program, The Denver Post reported.

"The victim in the case was physically unable to be present for the sentencing hearing but her mother told the judge that her daughter was brutally raped and suffers extreme PTSD because of Arganbright’s actions," stated a release from the 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office in Colorado.

"Chief Deputy District Attorney Trevor Moritzky told the court that as a Westminster police officer, Arganbright was entrusted with protecting those most vulnerable in the community and that Arganbright abused that trust. He said Arganbright continued to blame the victim. Arganbright chose this victim because she was vulnerable, he said."

Addressing the incident when it first came to light in August 2017, Westminster Police Chief Tim Carlson said Arganbright's actions had a “devastating impact” on the officers working in his department, CBS Denver reported.

“The alleged conduct described in this arrest sickens my soul,” Carlson said. “That it describes the conduct of an on-duty officer in my department has left me numb. The impact on the victim in this case is something I can’t begin to imagine.”
[Image: curtis-lee-arganbright.jpg]Curtis Lee Arganbright, a former police officer from Westminster, Colorado, was convicted after he forced a woman to have sex with him while she was handcuffed.BROOMFIELD POLICE DEPARTMENT

RE: Bad Boys II - Dill - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 01:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.newsweek.com/colorado-police-officer-who-raped-handcuffed-woman-he-was-taking-home-1238485?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NewsweekFacebookSF&fbclid=IwAR0Vc10l49_24oi_r85O_A70Yr6TZbc9zThpW9ZhfH2we-2N_OBzkwx-Z08

Charged with a misdemeanor though. Here's one officer who didn't get away with raping a handcuffed woman in his custody.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 02:12 PM)Dill Wrote: Charged with a misdemeanor though. Here's one officer who didn't get away with raping a handcuffed woman in his custody.

The headline in Newsweek doesn't even call it rape.  Just "forced to have sex".