Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
For those against the Death Penalty - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: For those against the Death Penalty (/Thread-For-those-against-the-Death-Penalty)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

For those against the Death Penalty - bfine32 - 07-02-2018

What should happen to this guy?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-motive-unclear-birthday-party-stabbing-attack-050028523.html

Quote:A 3-year-old Idaho girl who was stabbed at her birthday party died Monday, two days after a man invaded the celebration and attacked nine people with a knife, authorities said.

Timmy Kinner is accused of stabbing a group of children and the adults who tried to protect them at the party at an apartment complex that is home to many refugee families.

Word of the child's death came at Kinner's first court appearance, where Ada County Magistrate Judge Russell Comstock told him that he was charged with first-degree murder and other felonies in connection with the Saturday night attack.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - hollodero - 07-02-2018

Prison for life, no probation.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Nebuchadnezzar - 07-02-2018

Life without the possibility of parole and placed in general population and make sure everyone of the inmates knows what he did then bury him in a grave with others who have no identity except he don't get a number.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - bfine32 - 07-02-2018

(07-02-2018, 10:39 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Life without the possibility of parole and placed in general population and make sure everyone of the inmates knows what he did then bury him in a grave with others who have no identity except he don't get a number.

I'm more of a save the taxpayer's money (I know the cost of appeals but that is equally ridiculous). Just give the dude a chance to repent for his sins and then fire up ole sparky. 

I realize this attitude is more secular than biblical, but separation of state and church is a good thing. 

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Benton - 07-03-2018

(07-02-2018, 10:38 PM)hollodero Wrote: Prison for life, no probation.

Due (mostly) to my spiritual belief, this is the only option. Also due to my experiences with covering the legal system, this is the only option.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - CKwi88 - 07-03-2018

Life without parole....was another response expected?

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - jj22 - 07-03-2018

Rot in jail. Those for the death penalty are for giving criminals an easy way out.

It's those against the death penalty that are tougher on these criminals.

That's Fact. Anything else you've heard in this debate is fake news.

If you don't believe me if I told you you could rot in jail (get beat up, raped, abused etc for 80 years) or die which would you choose?

Exactly. If you cared for them to be punished you'd want them to rot in jail.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - jj22 - 07-03-2018

(07-02-2018, 10:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm more of a save the taxpayer's money (I know the cost of appeals but that is equally ridiculous). Just give the dude a chance to repent for his sins and then fire up ole sparky. 

I realize this attitude is more secular than biblical, but separation of state and church is a good thing. 

If they wanted to save tax payers money, they wouldn't have so many people serving life sentences for non violent crimes (drugs)

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Au165 - 07-03-2018

My issue is more so not all cases are this cut and dry, so you have to error on the side of caution and just eliminate it as a whole. I'd rather put everyone in jail for life than risk killing someone who is innocent.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - michaelsean - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 09:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: Rot in jail. Those for the death penalty are for giving criminals an easy way out.

It's those against the death penalty that are tougher on these criminals.

That's Fact. Anything else you've heard in this debate is fake news.

If you don't believe me if I told you you could rot in jail (get beat up, raped, abused etc for 80 years) or die which would you choose?

Exactly. If you cared for them to be punished you'd want them to rot in jail.

Yet those on death row fight to the last minute to stay alive. During the sentencing phase, with I'm sure a few exceptions, they do everything they can to get your punishment rather than a death sentence.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - SunsetBengal - 07-03-2018

What a PR conundrum for the State of Idaho. Kill a black man via death sentence, or risk not showing proper justice for a Muslim refugee family?

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - GMDino - 07-03-2018

I've always felt that anyone who is definitively guilty of crimes against a child is the one thing that could get me behind the death penalty.

However, over the years, I have moved closer and closer to no death penalty at all.

(07-03-2018, 09:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: I've always felt that anyone who is definitively guilty of crimes against a child is the one thing that could get me behind the death penalty.

However, over the years, I have moved closer and closer to no death penalty at all.

If you could be sure of everyone's guilt and that it was applied fairly where would you stand?  Maybe I should, but I don't, have any problem with putting these monsters to death.  It's the other things that cause me concern.  

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Goalpost - 07-03-2018

I have no problem that a guy like McVey was executed. But in a general sense, I see a problem with an occasional error, which cant ever happen.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - hollodero - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 10:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: If you could be sure of everyone's guilt and that it was applied fairly where would you stand?  Maybe I should, but I don't, have any problem with putting these monsters to death.  It's the other things that cause me concern.  

Can I also answer, while being an European for once? I'm against the death penalty under all circumstances, and the reason is that I don't want the government to kill people without necessity. The life and death power is something I'd rather leave to fate than to some officials.

It seems like a bit of a slippery slope.
(Just like Americans tell me restricting free speech by excluding Nazis from that is a slippery slope. It probably isn't in both cases, but still... I don't want government or anyone to have the power to kill in cold blood. Executing criminals is killing in cold blood, isn't it?)

(07-03-2018, 10:11 AM)hollodero Wrote: Can I also answer, while being an European for once? I'm against the death penalty under all circumstances, and the reason is that I don't want the government to kill people without necessity. The life and death power is something I'd rather leave to fate than to some officials.

It seems like a bit of a slippery slope.
(Just like Americans tell me restricting free speech by excluding Nazis from that is a slippery slope. It probably isn't in both cases, but still... I don't want government or anyone to have the power to kill in cold blood. Executing criminals is killing in cold blood, isn't it?)

I don't consider it cold blood, but I guess it depends on how you define it.

I have no issue with someone being against killing someone.  I'm not going to try to convince them otherwise as that is probably the better way for humans to behave.  I just can't bring myself to caring that evil people are killed.  But  I don't celebrate it. (well maybe Gacy).   

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - hollodero - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 10:19 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't consider it cold blood, but I guess it depends on how you define it.

I have no issue with someone being against killing someone.  I'm not going to try to convince them otherwise as that is probably the better way for humans to behave.  I just can't bring myself to caring that evil people are killed.  But  I don't celebrate it. (well maybe Gacy).   

I'm not caring about evil people. If that guy Breivik was killed, I wouldn't shed a tear for him, or that this Oklahoma bomber was executed. It's more about the principle. I don't want the state to have the power to kill other human beings, no matter what they did.

Of course, I still want police on an active shooter scene to kill the spree killer to save others. Kiling somenoe in chains, however ("in cold blood" is probably the wrong expression, but I can't think of a better one for killing someone without necessity), doesn't serve that purpose.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - GMDino - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 10:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: If you could be sure of everyone's guilt and that it was applied fairly where would you stand?  Maybe I should, but I don't, have any problem with putting these monsters to death.  It's the other things that cause me concern.  

If it was 100% sure I am more inclined to favor it for certain kinds of crimes.

(07-03-2018, 10:30 AM)hollodero Wrote: I'm not caring about evil people. If that guy Breivik was killed, I wouldn't shed a tear for him, or that this Oklahoma bomber was executed. It's more about the principle. I don't want the state to have the power to kill other human beings, no matter what they did.

Of course, I still want police on an active shooter scene to kill the spree killer to save others. Kiling somenoe in chains, however ("in cold blood" is probably the wrong expression, but I can't think of a better one for killing someone without necessity), doesn't serve that purpose.

I get that.  But I see (and we are assuming guilt here) locking someone up for the rest of their lives as an awesome use of the state's power as well.  But yeah if you just don't think the  state should have that power, I can't argue with that.

Cold blood could be proper.  It's just not what comes to mind for me.

RE: For those against the Death Penalty - Belsnickel - 07-03-2018

Life, no parole.