Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
GalleyLag or LollyGag? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: GalleyLag or LollyGag? (/Thread-GalleyLag-or-LollyGag)

Pages: 1 2

GalleyLag or LollyGag? - HarleyDog - 08-31-2018

So Mrs. Dog and I were talking tonight and the context of the story leads her to say "GalleyLag." So, I corrected her (hate it when I do that). I said, "You mean Lollygag?" She said, "No. GalleyLag!"  Hilarious

But this is where it get's interesting. Her Father was in the Army during Vietnam era, and when he came home he said GalleyLag (I'm thinking a mess hall in the Navy should be considered and would be someone hanging around to long in there, I should listen closely). But I was in the Army as well, and I never heard the term GalleyLag until today. I'm 51yrs old? So when I wanted to show proof it was LollyGag, all I had was this? Not very supportive.

So then, I go to the Merriam-Webster, and Lollygag is in there: "to spend time doing things that are not useful or serious : to fool around and waste time."

But when I look at GalleyLag, I get this: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.

Has anyone heard of Galleylag? I find this very interesting for some reason.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - Go Cards - 08-31-2018

Have always heard of lollygag but never the other.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - SunsetBengal - 08-31-2018

My Uncle, who served in the Navy in the Korean war, used to call my cousins Galley Lags when they would dally at doing their assigned chores.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - HarleyDog - 08-31-2018

(08-31-2018, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My Uncle, who served in the Navy in the Korean war, used to call my cousins Galley Lags when they would dally at doing their assigned chores.

I figured it had to be a Navy term. Kind of a vise-versa. Clever to say the least. He must have had Navy friends and it rubbed off I'm thinking, or his father might have been in the Navy and grew up with it.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - Go Cards - 08-31-2018

(08-31-2018, 09:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I figured it had to be a Navy term. Kind of a vise-versa. Clever to say the least. He must have had Navy friends and it rubbed off I'm thinking, or his father might have been in the Navy and grew up with it.

Must be an older saying. Conferred with my friend who was in navy and he had never heard it before.

Except for the "galley" which obviously is the Ness hall.

May have been a slang word other branches called navy men too. 

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - HarleyDog - 08-31-2018

Actually, not sure this makes a difference, but he was in during Korean War and not Vietnam.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - bengalfan74 - 08-31-2018

I was in the Navy and I've never heard of galleylag.

Scallywag has Navy/seafaring roots.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - Millhouse - 08-31-2018

I served in the Black Hats division, an old clan back in the early days of Call of Duty, and not once did I hear of galleylag.

But upon using the ancient art of the googling, a bunch of India stuff popped up.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - michaelsean - 08-31-2018

Bull Durham says lollygag so lollygag it is.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - Tiger Teeth - 09-01-2018

Harley, just tell your wife she's wrong, and spend another night in the dog house.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - Beaker - 09-01-2018

(08-31-2018, 09:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But when I look at GalleyLag, I get this: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.

Pull this up for her on your comp. Call her in and have her read it. Then say "what now beyotch!". She'll love you for it and your bond will be closer than ever.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - HarleyDog - 09-01-2018

(09-01-2018, 09:28 AM)Beaker Wrote: Pull this up for her on your comp. Call her in and have her read it. Then say "what now beyotch!". She'll love you for it and your bond will be closer than ever.

Already did Ninja

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - jfkbengals - 09-02-2018

Galleylag is incorrect, and she knows it.

But I think I understand WHY she is using it instead.

Let's face it, if she were to say lolleygag to you, your response would be "so you want to gag on my lolly?" Pervert

I can't say I can blame her for trying to cut you off at the pass Cool

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - BengalHawk62 - 09-03-2018

My wife will argue with me if I tell her the sky is blue. Sometimes you just gotta pick your battles.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - sandwedge - 09-04-2018

(09-03-2018, 10:17 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: My wife will argue with me if I tell her the sky is blue.  Sometimes you just gotta pick your battles.

So true!! "Hey baby, you look nice today!   So now I'm fat??"....

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - HarleyDog - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 04:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So true!! "Hey baby, you look nice today!   So now I'm fat??"....

Hilarious

Let’s also not forget:

Baby, your beautiful - response “ no I’m not, you just want sex.”

Baby, I love your boobies - response “ no you don’t, they”re too _______.”

Baby, I love your smile. Response “no you don’t, you just want approval.”

Baby, I love your laugh. Response “that’s because your naked.” Mellow

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - BengalHawk62 - 09-04-2018

Or the dreaded.....

wife- I want the truth. Do these pants make my butt look big?

Guys, seriously, how the F are we supposed to respond? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - HarleyDog - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Or the dreaded.....

wife- I want the truth. Do these pants make my butt look big?

Guys, seriously, how the F are we supposed to respond? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Actually, a walk away while faintly speaking “shit, I forgot something!” Then grabbing keys and leaving abruptly works well.

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - jfkbengals - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Or the dreaded.....

wife-  I want the truth.  Do these pants make my butt look big?

Guys, seriously, how the F are we supposed to respond?  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

"No, your ass does it by itself"

Then duck!

RE: GalleyLag or LollyGag? - grampahol - 09-11-2018

One other reference (in a forum)  for gallylag, but it's probably lose slang. I knew an old Navy cook who trained me in jobcorps back in the 70s who probably used the term a time or two.. old Roy Kilchellen.. Tough old geezer with a heart of gold..  He once made us clean the kitchen and when he couldn't find any dirt with his white glove he went outside and got a bucket of dirt, threw it all around the kitchen and told us to clean up the mess . We did and got steaks for dinner while everyone else had hash..  He was about 5' nothing but tough as nails and fight with the biggest guys there.. Da good old days ..