Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims (/Thread-Office-Depot-refuses-to-photocopy-anti-abortion-prayer-woman-claims)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - GMDino - 09-12-2015

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/office-depot-refuses-to-photocopy-anti-abortion-prayer-woman-claims/ar-AAebH5e

Quote:CHICAGO — A Rolling Meadows woman has accused Office Depot of discriminating against her Roman Catholic faith after employees told her running copies of an anti-abortion prayer violated company policy.

Last month, Maria Goldstein, 42, ordered 500 copies of "A Prayer for the Conversion of Planned Parenthood" at an Office Depot in Schaumburg to distribute at her parish the following Sunday. The handout also included statistics about abortion in the U.S. and at Planned Parenthood, a non-profit organization that provides women's and reproductive health services.

The prayer, composed by the Rev. Frank Pavone, national director of Priests for Life, an anti-abortion group, calls on God to "Bring an end to the killing of children in the womb, and bring an end to the sale of their body parts. Bring conversion to all who do this, and enlightenment to all who advocate it."

The prayer also decries "the evil that has been exposed in Planned Parenthood and in the entire abortion industry."

Karen Denning, a spokeswoman for Office Depot, said company policy prohibits "the copying of any type of material that advocates any form of racial or religious discrimination or the persecution of certain groups of people. It also prohibits copying any type of copyrighted material."

"The flier contained material that advocates the persecution of people who support abortion rights," Denning said.

But Goldstein said the goal of the weeklong prayer and fasting campaign that took place last month was not to persecute but to change hearts. The campaign came amid calls by politicians to end public funding for Planned Parenthood in response to hidden-camera videos by anti-abortion activists who accused the nonprofit organization of trafficking fetal tissue.

"The intention of the prayer is to ask for conversion," Goldstein said. "The conversion of the staff, employees, everybody who is part of this at Planned Parenthood. It means they will recognize life has dignity and that it is valuable and not a commodity to be bought and sold."

Denning said Goldstein was invited to use the self-serve copy machines. But Goldstein said that would have been an inconvenience. Instead she found a printing shop in Des Plaines to run her copies.

"I feel discriminated against," she said.

Thomas Olp, a lawyer for the Chicago-based Thomas More Society, a public interest law group that represents Goldstein, said the situation fits into the public accommodation laws that date back to when businesses refused to serve African-Americans and Jews.

"We're a country of diversity. We don't want to allow people to pick and choose based on their bigotry or hostility," he said. "You need to offer services to the public on a fair and equal basis. This is an example of religious expression. Therefore the law prohibits you from discriminating."

Olp acknowledges that religious freedom and public accommodation laws occasionally might be at odds. Several states are debating whether to pass laws protecting business owners such as bakers and photographers who object to same-sex weddings as a matter of conscience.

"It's a different issue. You can make arguments on both sides," he said. But a person's religion always affords special protection, he said.

"To accommodate religion you have to go out of your way to do something you wouldn't normally do," he said. "If it was simply negative comments about Planned Parenthood, it wouldn't be as strong of an argument."

On Thursday, Olp sent a letter to Office Depot CEO Roland Smith asking the company to reconsider its policy and fill Goldstein's copy order. Olp said he will file complaints with the Cook County Human Rights Commission and Illinois Department of Human Rights if the company doesn't respond in five days. The state's Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination for a variety of reasons, including religion.

"The best resolution would be that they would say 'This was unjust. You were discriminated against because of your religion' and then admit this was wrong," Goldstein said. "I'd appreciate them printing the flier. The statistics are still valid and the prayer is still valid."

Office Depot's response from their Facebook page:

Quote:Office Depot

Store commented on refusing to print flier · Yesterday at 4:40pm ·

In response to the numerous comments that we have recently received regarding the printing of documents in one of our stores, please know that Office Depot has contacted Ms. Goldsteins’s representative to explain that the store associate’s decision to decline a print order was in no way based on religious beliefs, but on the fact that it contained certain words and phrases that could be construed as graphic or advocates the persecution of groups of people, which is a violation of the company’s copy and print policy. Office Depot has long maintained a policy of not allowing associates to print items that violate copyright laws, advocate persecution of any group or contain graphic material.

Upon a more detailed review, we have determined that the content of Ms. Goldstein’s flyer is not a clear violation of the company’s policy.
“We sincerely apologize to Ms. Goldstein for her experience and our initial reaction was not at all related to her religious beliefs. We invite her to return to Office Depot if she still wishes to print the flyer,” said Roland Smith, chairman and chief executive officer, Office Depot.

Office Depot will continue to have policies that guide the refusal to reproduce material that is protected under copyright, contains graphic material or advocates the persecution of any groups of people, regardless of the reason. In addition, all customers are free to use the self-service copy machines in our stores without being subject to the policy.

I didn't see an actual copy of the prayer.

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - Benton - 09-12-2015

If it called for persecution of some sort, I don't blame the worker. If it was just because it was a prayer, then that's not ok.

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - bfine32 - 09-12-2015

I would be interested to see a copy of the prayer, but it seems the company admitted a mistake.

EDIT: Here it is
http://www.priestsforlife.org/prayercampaign/conversion-of-planned-parenthood.aspx
Quote:Lord, for whom all things are possible,
We are confronted once again today
With the evil of the abortion industry
And the corruption found
In the world's largest abortion business, Planned Parenthood.

Lord, we pray for all who plan to be parents,
And we ask your mercy on those
Who teach others to reject parenthood.

In the light of your Word, Lord,
We affirm today that children are a blessing from you,
And that the origin of all parenthood
Is likewise in You, the God of life and love.

Therefore, Oh God,
We stand against the evil that has been exposed
In Planned Parenthood
And in the entire abortion industry.

We stand today for the triumph
Of truth over falsehood,
Of light over darkness,
And of life over death.

Bring an end to the killing of children in the womb,
And bring an end to the sale of their body parts.
Bring conversion to all who do this,
And enlightenment to all who advocate it.

Close the doors of the death camps in our midst,
And open the doors of your mercy and healing!
Close the grisly trade in baby body parts,
And open the abundant gifts of your salvation and life!

Hasten the day when our land
Will no longer be stained with innocent blood,
And when the bodies of all your children
Will be raised from the dead
And set free forever.

We pray in the name of Jesus the Lord. Amen!

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - Johnny Cupcakes - 09-12-2015

(09-12-2015, 09:21 PM)Benton Wrote: If it called for persecution of some sort, I don't blame the worker. If it was just because it was a prayer, then that's not ok.

This.  Discrimination of religion is not ok, and if this is what happened, the employee should lose their job.  If the prayer in bfine's post is the one that the company refused to copy, then there is a problem.

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - JustWinBaby - 09-12-2015

(09-12-2015, 09:40 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: This.  Discrimination of religion is not ok, and if this is what happened, the employee should lose their job.  If the prayer in bfine's post is the one that the company refused to copy, then there is a problem.

Yeah, it's hard to see where the employee thought that violated policy.  I don't think the person should be fired, but on the other hand that's what most would say if service was refused to another protected class.

Additionally, whenever someone is going to refuse service to a customer, they should escalate it to someone who SHOULD know policy and know better.  So if a manager or supervisor had made that decision, they should either be fired or demoted.

I can understand why maybe this policy of OD exists, but if I'm in the business of making/selling copies I'm not sure I'd be reading what people want copies of since they have the right to free speech to begin with.

As a customer, I asked you to make copies, not read it and judge me.

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - Benton - 09-12-2015

(09-12-2015, 09:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would be interested to see a copy of the prayer, but it seems the company admitted a mistake.

EDIT: Here it is
http://www.priestsforlife.org/prayercampaign/conversion-of-planned-parenthood.aspx

I don't see an issue with it, personally. It's not calling for anyone to harm PP or pro-choicers. 

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - Belsnickel - 09-13-2015

I'm willing to bet that the associate viewed people being called out as evil as being persecution. Nothing persecutory or graphic about that prayer, though.

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - bfine32 - 09-13-2015

(09-13-2015, 12:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm willing to bet that the associate viewed people being called out as evil as being persecution. Nothing persecutory or graphic about that prayer, though.

The prayer didn't call anyone evil

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - GMDino - 09-13-2015

(09-13-2015, 12:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The prayer didn't call anyone evil

Sure it did:

Quote:Therefore, Oh God, 

We stand against the evil that has been exposed 
In Planned Parenthood 

Wait, you're going to say that what they DO is evil...not that the people are evil. Got it.

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - bfine32 - 09-13-2015

(09-13-2015, 12:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sure it did:

Wait, you're going to say that what they DO is evil...not that the people are evil.  Got it.

I stand against the evil of Philip Morris Corp and the tobacco industry.

What person did I just call evil?

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-13-2015

(09-13-2015, 12:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I stand against the evil of Philip Morris Corp and the tobacco industry.

What person did I just call evil?

The people that work for Philip Morris Corp? Confused

(09-13-2015, 12:55 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: The people that work for Philip Morris Corp? Confused

This response makes me happy. Thanks. 

2 quick questions:

Do you think the US spends too much on Defense?

I work for DoD, do you think my paycheck is unnecessary?

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-13-2015

(09-13-2015, 12:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This response makes me happy. Thanks. 
While I'm glad I can make you happy, why does it make you happy?

RE: Office Depot refuses to photocopy anti-abortion prayer, woman claims - GMDino - 09-13-2015

(09-13-2015, 12:59 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: While I'm glad I can make you happy, why does it make you happy?

Because he enjoys trolling and making an obscure, slightly different point just off enough that he can deflect from the original post and entertain himself for hours or days.

(09-13-2015, 12:59 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: While I'm glad I can make you happy, why does it make you happy?

Because of the simplistic correlation that if I call an industry evil, I'm calling those that work in that industry evil.

I am stripping away their individuality 

(09-13-2015, 01:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Because of the simplistic correlation that if I call an industry evil, I'm calling those that work in that industry evil.

I am stripping away their individuality 

Ahhh ok I'm pickin up what you're putin down.  Actually I knew that's what you were probably referring to, I just wanted to hear you say it.

So are you saying that those that are pro-life, anti-abortion...etc. Don't consider the doctors, nurses, or staff that work for PP to be evil?

(09-13-2015, 01:23 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: .

So are you saying that those that are pro-life, anti-abortion...etc. Don't consider the doctors, nurses, or staff that work for PP to be evil?

Yes.

Do you think my statement considers the person that works on the assembly line at Phillip Morris evil?

(09-13-2015, 01:25 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you think my statement considers the person that works on the assembly line at Phillip Morris evil?

No

Do you think that an assembly line worker that works for Phillip Morris is even remotely comparable to doctors and nurses that perform abortions?

(09-13-2015, 01:34 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: No

Do you think that an assembly line worker that works for Phillip Morris is even remotely comparable to doctors and nurses that perform abortions?

Yes, they both do what their industry allows

(09-13-2015, 01:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes

Well I've heard of bomb threats to PP(plus murder attempts on it's staff).  Philip Morris not so much.  I don't really think they're comparable.

Edit I quoted and responded to your original response of just "Yes".