Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** (/Thread-Official-2019-NFL-Draft-Discussion-Thread)

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - rfaulk34 - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 12:00 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Nobody has any idea where he would end up going had we not picked him. It's all just conjecture and guesswork. If the Bengals liked him enough and felt he was worth it, go for it. It didn't cost them any LBs. Looking at the guys who went in between their picks, it might have cost them a fourth string WR or DB or a rotational DL. I bet they get more use out of Sample than they would had they taken most of those guys.

And I get it, maybe those other guys have more upside than Sample and you get more from them a year or two down the road. On that, I'll just have to defer to the coaches.

If he works out and contributes in meaningful ways, great. No one will care where or when he was drafted. 

But that's down the road. Tonight, it was a bad pick for it's placement, imo. 

As far as conjecture...it's a fact that not one other TE that is known for his blocking was taken after the Bengals pick and the two that were taken put up very good pass catching numbers this past year, which makes it clear they were not targeted mainly for their blocking. And that's my entire argument. They could have taken 2 other guys tonight and got him tomorrow. 

(to the bolded) BTW, have you ever noticed how anyone not taken by the Bengals would have likely been a scrub, and anyone taken by the Bengals have a ton of potential and will likely end up helping the team?  Cool

(04-27-2019, 12:01 AM)zygrot24 Wrote: The fact is, not one team would have took sample before the 4th round. Stop saying "you dont know that" yes we do. All the experts know that. They reached , really really badly.  If you want to say, yeah they reached but i like the guy and trust taylor, that is fine. But to say they didn't,  or know body knows is just stupid

yep

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - PAjwPhilly - 04-27-2019

(04-26-2019, 11:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: This has been a win-now sort of draft so far. Fill the holes, take the high football character types instead of the shiny athletes who aren't as good of players. I like it so far. Sample seems gritty, maybe lower ceiling than some of the move TE guys, but likely to contribute. Pratt is promising in coverage, just needs some coaching up. This team is going to be fun to watch. 

Agree. I'm actually glad with a scheme pick. I want this offense to work. 

(04-27-2019, 12:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: You're thinking of Jordan Palmer and Dick Cheney, respectively. 

RunPee, FTW!!!

(04-27-2019, 12:08 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Your entire post is a big crock of crap. And who are these experts? 

Who needs experts. How many blocking TEs were taken after the Bengals picked their guy?

/argument

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - BobJones4980 - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 12:01 AM)zygrot24 Wrote: The fact is, not one team would have took sample before the 4th round. Stop saying "you dont know that" yes we do. All the experts know that. They reached , really really badly.  If you want to say, yeah they reached but i like the guy and trust taylor, that is fine. But to say they didn't,  or know body knows is just stupid

(04-27-2019, 12:33 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: yep

Just because you guys say something over and over doesn't make it fact / true. Nobody on this board and no "Expert" knows how the draft is gonna fall and who is gonna go where or we wouldn't still have CBS's 40th prospect, NFL's 2nd round prospects, and ESPN's 30th ranked players still on the board at pick 65. Also look at all the board members and "experts" mocks right about now, how many of those are knocking it out of the park? 

You guys are just in a whiny mood because the guy you wanted didn't get taken, and while Sample may have been a reach, us or the experts have no idea what the 32 teams in the NFL's big boards looked like, so just stop with your "fact" bullshit because its exactly that, bullshit.

Now if everybody can stop whining about the 2nd round, who do we want in round 4? I'm pretty interested in Hakeem Butler with on of those picks.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - BenZoo2 - 04-27-2019

Bummer to see some of the players taken at the end of round 3. Edoga, McGovern and Boykin would have been nice at 110.

I haven't looked at any "best of the rest" lists so these are a few of the names I think are still out there off the top of my head. I'll edit in some later.

Oline. Michael Jordan, osu. Tyler roemer, sdsu and uli odah
Db Julian love, Isaiah Johnson, arunamaye (psu) the kid out of James Madison
Lb jrue tranquil deandre Walker
Dl renell wren, John cominsky (I just like this kid)
Qb Ryan finlay, Brett rypien, tyree Jackson still there?
Still lots of rbs and wrs I gotta check

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - NKURyan - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 12:32 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If he works out and contributes in meaningful ways, great. No one will care where or when he was drafted. 

But that's down the road. Tonight, it was a bad pick for it's placement, imo. 

As far as conjecture...it's a fact that not one other TE that is known for his blocking was taken after the Bengals pick and the two that were taken put up very good pass catching numbers this past year, which makes it clear they were not targeted mainly for their blocking. And that's my entire argument. They could have taken 2 other guys tonight and got him tomorrow. 

(to the bolded) BTW, have you ever noticed how anyone not taken by the Bengals would have likely been a scrub, and anyone taken by the Bengals have a ton of potential and will likely end up helping the team?  Cool

I'm not saying those guys would be scrubs at all. But do I think any of those corners would play over Dre, WJII, and Dennard? No. Do I think any of those WRs are playing over Green, Boyd, or Ross? Hell no to the first two, and a maybe to Ross. Do I think Sample can see plenty of time on the field even with a healthy Eifert and Uzomah (which is obviously no guarantee)? Yes, I do. I think there's a good chance he contributes in the red zone as a receiver and as a blocker, and I'd bet he helps bust Mixon or Bernard loose on a few long runs.

I'll freely admit that over the rest of their careers a few of the guys taken between Sample and the Bengals next pick will probably have higher upsides even if Sample ends up having a good career here. Would they do it here? Not sure. I feel confident the Bengals will get a more immediate return from Sample than they will most of those others even though it most likely won't be reflected in his stats.

If taking him in the 2nd round cost them severely at other positions and hurt the rest of the draft, I'd be a lot more upset about. I just really don't feel like it has. They still got the linebacker they wanted. A few of the DBs and QBs I was looking at with interest in the 2nd are still sitting there to potentially be grabbed in the 4th. Hell, several LBs that you'd think would've been off of the board by now are *still* sitting there if they want to double up. I just think there's a good chance when we see the whole haul as a group it ends up being fairly in line with what people would've been happy with regardless of the order they were taken in. Does that make sense? I'm genuinely not trying to argue just to argue here, that's just the way I see it as of now.

(04-27-2019, 12:42 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Now if everybody can stop whining about the 2nd round, who do we want in round 4? I'm pretty interested in Hakeem Butler with on of those picks.

Wouldn't mind a corner and another linebacker. Finley would be a nice upgrade at backup QB and may be worth a pick, but I'm not convinced he'd be Andy's replacement in the future or anything like that.

Might be good to start looking at a third string RB, too. I'd wait a bit, though. How about this Justice Hill guy? Sounds like a burner.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Benton - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 12:44 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Bummer to see some of the players taken at the end of round 3.  Edoga, McGovern and Boykin would have been nice at 110.

I haven't looked at any "best of the rest" lists so these are a few of the names I think are still out there off the top of my head.  I'll edit in some later.

Oline.  Michael Jordan, osu.  Tyler roemer, sdsu and uli odah
Db Julian love, Isaiah Johnson, arunamaye (psu) the kid out of James Madison
Lb jrue tranquil deandre Walker
Dl renell wren, John cominsky (I just like this kid)
Qb Ryan finlay, Brett rypien, tyree Jackson still there?
Still lots of rbs and wrs I gotta check

I think boykin will be fun to watch twice a year.

(04-27-2019, 12:10 AM)Beaker Wrote: People are still whining about Sample   Hilarious

Pathetic

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry 

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My feelings get hurt when someone expresses a negative opinion. 

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(04-27-2019, 12:15 AM)Synric Wrote: I guess I dont know the question 

Correct :)

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Bengalholic - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 12:39 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Who needs experts. How many blocking TEs were taken after the Bengals picked their guy?

/argument

I don't think it's just that Sample is a terrific inline blocker, which will be an important element - and specific need - in Taylor's offense. It's also that he's a very high character and work ethic guy, as well as being a film room junkie and a self proclaimed perfectionist in practice. I think all those things combined made Sample the pick. He fits what Taylor needs from a schematic point of view, but also from a locker room / culture mentality as well.

I can agree that he was picked too high based the on projections. He might have well been there in the 3rd. Hell, he might have still been available in the 4th. But, if Taylor views him as an important cog in his system and wanted to make sure he got him, I personally don't have an issue with them trading back and taking him in the 2nd, even if it's too high for him based on rankings.

(04-27-2019, 12:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Which team do you work for?

I don't know about him, but it worked for Mayock. 

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - BobJones4980 - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 12:49 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Wouldn't mind a corner and another linebacker. Finley would be a nice upgrade at backup QB and may be worth a pick, but I'm not convinced he'd be Andy's replacement in the future or anything like that.

Might be good to start looking at a third string RB, too. I'd wait a bit, though.

Yea I think I'm over QB this draft, my mindset was find a replacement early or wait so I think we stay with what we have.

Couple guys im interested in :

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson S
Julian Love CB
Deionte Thompson S
Mack Wilson LB
Hakeem Butler WR
Amani Oruwariye CB
Vosean Joseph LB
Bryce Love RB

Also interested in an OG and another TE(Tommy Sweeney, Kaden Smith, Isaac Nauta, Caleb Wilson type guys).

(04-27-2019, 12:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jags just drafted a LB in round 3 not on the charts. Is Coughlin a moron too?

The guy will probably be good.

You just really, really, really don't get it. 

(04-27-2019, 12:19 AM)NKURyan Wrote: I think I've been pretty honest from the get-go in saying that I don't know jack squat about most of these guys. You know, like most people.

No one really does. Poster or GM. 

That's why internet message boards were invented. So that we could argue about who is best. 

(04-27-2019, 12:56 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know about him, but it worked for Mayock. 

Jury's out on that. I think it will be interesting to see how he does as GM.

(04-27-2019, 12:30 AM)NKURyan Wrote: "Well Nate, I'll tell you his measurables are out of this world. His hands are .32mm longer than that other guys, and by God I'd bet that means something. I've also heard that in interviews with his neighbor's elderly landlord that he has been nothing short of an absolute gentleman every time they passed each other on the sidewalk. His favorite color is magenta and he loves a nice hot bath at the end of a long day, and he's a real blue chipper in my book. He does hate cats, though, so that's going to keep him out of the top 15 and away from teams like the Lions, Jaguars, and Bengals."

I damn near thought that was a legit break down until i realized i wasn't looking at the tv!  Shocked

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Bengalholic - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 12:59 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No one really does. Poster or GM. 

That's why internet message boards were invented. So that we could argue about who is best. 

Yep, and every NFL message board is pretty much the same on draft night...crazy! But that's what makes it fun! LOL