Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! (/Thread-Welcom-to-the-team-Drew-Sample)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 02:01 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I know Fisher wasent that good but he's still better than a TE.

That was tongue in cheek....I was just razzin ya a tad. But seriously, he can't block very good...lol. I had hopes for him. Ogbuehi on the other hand, no heart at all....shitty player, lazy human....but I digress.

On Sample, I too think it was a reach....but he does grade out as an excellent blocker, so there's that at least. Is what it is, staff has something in mind, we'll see if they're right or not soon enough. Really liked Pratt in the 3rd. Loved Williams. Let's see how the rest shakes out. We need to snag a 3rd RB soon. 

I missed the draft tonight, is Dennis Daly still out there?

(04-27-2019, 02:04 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Normally I would agree with almost all of this but we could take some lbs late that could contribute as the bottom 3 lbs on our roster are easily replaceable.  Ill wait to reserve judgement and root for these kids to prove me way wrong, but im really not liking day 2 of our draft at all.  I havent been this disappointed in a draft since the ogbuehi draft and the keiwan ratliff draft.  I have actually liked most of our drafts.  I really loved the pollack, odell, henry draft so that just goes to show I aint always on point.  That draft to this day still bugs me as I think those 3 all had the potential to be pro bowlers.  Other than jonah this draft is giving me the same feelings of the ogbuehi and ratliff drafts.  Trying to stay positive for day 3.  Jonah is the saving grace of this draft for me.  I was a haskins guy and I truely believe he has elite potential, but I still love the jonah pick.  Can never go wrong with a stud oline that can play pretty much any position.

To make others feel better about my takes on today;

One of my favorite bengal picks of all time (at the time he was taken) was lamont thompson safety in the 2nd round forever ago and he turned out to be complete garbage.  Also I loved the john ross pick and I still do to this day.

You weren't wrong on Thurman/Pollack/Henry. They all 3 showed they belonged in this league. Unfortunately, two were knuckleheads, and one broke his neck.

(04-27-2019, 02:05 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Fisher ironically was a TE converted to OL.  Fisher had health issues, was an okay block.  Sample has blocking stats that best Price coming out of college. I think everyone has issues with value of pick and I agree with them on that point.  I don't think anyone would have minded Sample in round 4.  

Plus, they could have obtained better value for trade down.  Like a 4th and 5th rounder.  maybe just another 3rd rounder.  They already had several 6th rounders.  

My Hope is that they trade back up in the 4th round, and maybe draft the best kicker and punter.  why not.  

Kid out of LSU can ball.....I mean kick. Ninja

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - TKUHL - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 02:04 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Normally I would agree with almost all of this but we could take some lbs late that could contribute as the bottom 3 lbs on our roster are easily replaceable.  Ill wait to reserve judgement and root for these kids to prove me way wrong, but im really not liking day 2 of our draft at all.  I havent been this disappointed in a draft since the ogbuehi draft and the keiwan ratliff draft.  I have actually liked most of our drafts.  I really loved the pollack, odell, henry draft so that just goes to show I aint always on point.  That draft to this day still bugs me as I think those 3 all had the potential to be pro bowlers.  Other than jonah this draft is giving me the same feelings of the ogbuehi and ratliff drafts.  Trying to stay positive for day 3.  Jonah is the saving grace of this draft for me.  I was a haskins guy and I truely believe he has elite potential, but I still love the jonah pick.  Can never go wrong with a stud oline that can play pretty much any position.

To make others feel better about my takes on today;

One of my favorite bengal picks of all time (at the time he was taken) was lamont thompson safety in the 2nd round forever ago and he turned out to be complete garbage.  Also I loved the john ross pick and I still do to this day.

I didn't think a pick would make me as mad as the Ross pick but today proved me wrong. Lol and it's his teammate! I know it's all a crap shoot but the TE pick(not the person) just screams I'm the TE coach and I'm going to prove how smart I am. There was no reason to jump on this pick when they did. As for past drafts I loved the Pollack, Thurman draft. Still drives me nuts how Thurman just threw it all away. I really think he could have been our Ray Lewis for years. I'm just going to look at it this way, we thought we were set after taking OT's back to back in 15 and we were wrong. Same with a couple other drafts where we thought we nailed it only to be dissapointed. So surely it has to work the other way around at some point right? The draft we think is horrible could turn out to be one of our best. I wanted Pratt so today wasent a total loss for me. Still hate that Risner went right in front of us, and still hate the 2nd pick. Hope he proves me wrong.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - TKUHL - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 02:09 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That was tongue in cheek....I was just razzin ya a tad. But seriously, he can't block very good...lol. I had hopes for him. Ogbuehi on the other hand, no heart at all....shitty player, lazy human....but I digress.

On Sample, I too think it was a reach....but he does grade out as an excellent blocker, so there's that at least. Is what it is, staff has something in mind, we'll see if they're right or not soon enough. Really liked Pratt in the 3rd. Loved Williams. Let's see how the rest shakes out. We need to snag a 3rd RB soon. 

I missed the draft tonight, is Dennis Daly still out there?

He is.

(04-27-2019, 02:19 AM)TKUHL Wrote: He is.

That's a late round oline depth pick I'd like.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - psychdoctor - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 02:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That will help sell some tickets! To go along with an OT (yes it was a good pick), a blocking TE, and a project LB.

They might need a wait list for season tickets...

What player in round 2 would have spiked ticket sales?  I think winning will help sell tickets and I am willing to give Taylor a couple years to get his team together, maybe 2-3 years.  

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - Lionel Hutz - 04-27-2019

12 beers in and this pick still sucks.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - Nicomo Cosca - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 02:44 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: What player in round 2 would have spiked ticket sales?  I think winning will help sell tickets and I am willing to give Taylor a couple years to get his team together, maybe 2-3 years.  

Drew Lock, Irv Smith, AJ Brown, pretty much anyone other than a blocking TE who will barely see the field.

And we can say let’s wait and see all we want but between his coaching staff fiasco, and his first draft my excitement over Taylor has plummeted.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 02:04 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: One of my favorite bengal picks of all time (at the time he was taken) was lamont thompson safety in the 2nd round forever ago and he turned out to be complete garbage.

My "AWESOME PICK(!!)" that turned out to be a dud was Steve Shine in the early 90s. 3rd round LB out of Northwestern was pretty fast but played very fast. Probably would have beaten out Alfred Williams and/or James Francis who were both regressing.

Tried to show off his speed in one of the first practices, shredded his hamstring and never even saw as much as a Pre-Season game.

(04-27-2019, 02:53 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: 12 beers in and this pick still sucks.

I think that’s how many Tobin had down in Nashville when he made the pick.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - mikey6866 - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 02:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: You weren't wrong on Thurman/Pollack/Henry. They all 3 showed they belonged in this league. Unfortunately, two were knuckleheads, and one broke his neck.

I consider myself wrong because ultimately did not work out at all.  I literally loved that draft I was so confident that we got 3 super stars and they all could have been but it didnt work out.  If you look at old boards im not a huge poster but im a draft junkie so I post more around draft time and I spend a shit ton of time watching a lot of prospects.  I am right a whole lot more than I am wrong and I seem to have a knack for picking out which guys are gonna be busts.  I literally wanted to cry when we drafted chis perry and ogbuehi.  It was so obvious to me that those guys were gonna suck, so when we took them I absolutely hated it.  But on the other side of things I thought jj watt was gonna just be a 10-12 year solid player that would get you 5-8 sacks a year.  I was way wrong on him.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - Lionel Hutz - 04-27-2019

Seriously, worst draft pick since Bengals took “chain-smoking” tight end Sean Brewer in 3rd round back in early 2000s. At least Ogbuehi had upside. Sample is a run-blocking, depth tight end that Bengals felt the need to grab 2-3 rounds before anybody else. Lol....ain’t no defending it fellas.

What makes it all worse is wonderboy Taylor apparently fine with it. Dave Shula 2.0 is in the building.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 04-27-2019

I still can't figure out why people can't wait and see how the new coaching staff does in their first year before constantly complaining left and right. I certainly haven't loved everything since Coach Taylor has come aboard but at least I'm willing to wait and see how he does this year.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - mikey6866 - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 03:00 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: My "AWESOME PICK(!!)" that turned out to be a dud was Steve Shine in the early 90s. 3rd round LB out of Northwestern was pretty fast but played very fast. Probably would have beaten out Alfred Williams and/or James Francis who were both regressing.

Tried to show off his speed in one of the first practices, shredded his hamstring and never even saw as much as a Pre-Season game.

We have all had em.  But im sure u have a lot of guys that hit too.  When we drafted geno I was certain we had a stud.  I remember screaming from the rooftops for us to get grady jarrett in 4th round and we took hardison instead.  Hardison had some upside so I wasnt too bent out of shape but man would it be nice if we grabbed jarett instead.  He was a baller at clemson he only dropped due to "size" .  I think where most people get caught up myself included is in measureables.  I loved john ross before he ever ran that 40 and I think a lot of people just didnt like him cause they thought he just got drafted for his speed.  To me john ross was a football player with insane speed.  Not just a measureables guy.  Also guys with his speed are usually more of straight line guys but ross quickness and agility on top of his speed I thought would make him special.  Not great results so far but I will believe in this kid until the day he washes out.  I think hes gonna break out this year ina big way like boyd did in year 3.  In hindsight hes always gonna look like the wrong pick because mahomes went the next pick.  Nobody will look back and realize that the bengals werent in qb market at all back then.

I think I might just be bad at evaluting wrs. Lol. Im a big usc guy and I didnt think juju would be able to seperate at all in nfl. I viewed him as sanu type prospect...decent but replaceable. I viewed peter warrick as an absolute cant miss guy that would be a future hof guy. I loved chad johnson, aj green, julio, and hopkins so im really up and down with projecting wr to the nfl for some reason. I also have an affinity for smaller fast guys who are almost always boom or bust guys. This year I loved hollywood and isabella. Im hoping hollywood doesnt work out now.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - psychdoctor - 04-27-2019

(04-27-2019, 03:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Drew Lock, Irv Smith, AJ Brown, pretty much anyone other than a blocking TE who will barely see the field.

And we can say let’s wait and see all we want but between his coaching staff fiasco, and his first draft my excitement over Taylor has plummeted.

Smith Jr. would sell tickets?  I think Lock will be a bust.  But I understand the question over Sample.  I wanted Thornhill, Allen, or Adderley.  I really think they wanted Cody Ford or Risner.  At least with one of those, the line would be on its way to being solid.  

I knew Taylor wanted a TE because I know they plan to pound the rock and feature Mixon and be a physical team.  I hope they trade some of those picks and grab some players like Butler, Tranquill, some other backers and maybe another OL.  

(04-27-2019, 03:23 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Smith Jr. would sell tickets?  I think Lock will be a bust.  But I understand the question over Sample.  I wanted Thornhill, Allen, or Adderley.  I really think they wanted Cody Ford or Risner.  At least with one of those, the line would be on its way to being solid.  

I knew Taylor wanted a TE because I know they plan to pound the rock and feature Mixon and be a physical team.  I hope they trade some of those picks and grab some players like Butler, Tranquill, some other backers and maybe another OL.  

He’s a playmaker, why wouldn’t he be more exciting than what we took?

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - GreenCornBengal - 04-27-2019

I agree we grabbed the kid too early, but I also think he brings a lot of value to this team.

I think Taylor is taking the approach that controlling the clock is the quickest way to help this defense as a whole. I completely agree with this strategy. How do you do this? You build your team around a strong run game. Having a guy like Sample helps you accomplish that.

I watched a few Rams games last year, they were really creative in the blocking schemes. Between Williams and Sample, I can see a much more creative blocking scheme... something to be excited about IMO.

RE: Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - Devils Advocate - 04-27-2019

I’m excited for this pick and think he will impress us as the season unfolds but ...

I think we panicked. This pick confirms for me my suspicion that they were gonna pick Bush in the first, then trade back into the first to take best Oline available. Sample was gonna be our pick in the 3rd or 4th (or later) rounds and was probably our second choice TE at that point however, our first choice TE went just a couple of picks before we took him. So we panicked. I really hope I’m wrong about this though.

Welcom to the team, Drew Sample! - ochocincos - 04-27-2019

I was against the pick when it happened. I didn’t realize how good of a blocker he was. The team and scouting reports think he can grow into a solid pass catcher too. I think it was (at least) two rounds too early but Sample should help at least in the run game. I think we all just wanted/hoped for a more experienced pass catcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk